Tito Ortiz UFC 84 triangle on Lyoto Machida oh so close …

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Tito Ortiz UFC 84 triangle on Lyoto Machida oh so close …
SmileR
5/26/08 11:45:07AM
… part of me was hoping for the stoppage — it would have been the perfect storybook ending:

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/26/08 11:58:12AM
it really wouldve been so sweet.

Tito gets a lot of credit for that sub attempt but Lyoto really did a fabulous job of getting out of that.

it really was a good fight, IMO & ufc made a huge gamble putting Lyoto in there against Tito.

a Lyoto loss wouldve hurt the ufc title picture badly & sent tito out ona good note
Poohbah
5/26/08 12:27:06PM
Great picture. I would love to see a picture of Dana White's face at that exact moment.
teddythetuna
5/26/08 1:11:34PM
I almost crapped myself at that moment. But Machida is a brilliant fighter and managed to pull out. He knew exactly what to do.
NatedawgThaM
5/26/08 1:44:18PM
If he didn't go for that freakin armbar he wouldn have finished him!!! Darn it!!!
bigbubbano23
5/26/08 2:46:34PM
i was going crazy when that happened. i wish he pulled that off. i would have loved to see machida get his first loss.
tylerlee123
5/26/08 2:58:33PM
Ya man that was retarded i couldnt belive it i thought it was over for sure
Raykill
5/26/08 3:22:14PM
Great picture,
Yea, I have to say I thought Tito would have done better knowing that it was "supposed" to be his last fight in the UFC.
And I did pick him, so you have to know I was going crazy at that moment. Oh well. so close. He even said after that he F' ed up going for the armbar.
I think I am a beliver in Lyoto now for sure....
jiujitsufreak74
5/26/08 3:38:13PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

If he didn't go for that freakin armbar he wouldn have finished him!!! Darn it!!!

he would have had to sit up and try to keep the tightness of the choke which would have been hard since he did not follow Machida's role correctly. and i can say from experience that when you are in the heat of it and it is a scramble, you will go for whatever sub you feel most natural with. and on that note Tito probably has never had a triangle from the top in training but i am sure as hell he has done armbars. so because he feels more comfortable Tito went for the armbar while in the scramble instead of sitting up. little things like these are what differentiates between a JJ fighter and a fighter that knows JJ if you know what i mean.
89vision
5/26/08 3:40:58PM
no, what would have been sweet was if Lyoto had finished Tito in the crucfix position at the end of round 1 proving that Lyoto "can knock someone out"

Tito was saved by the bell in round 1 so it would not have been sweet, besides whats more impressive is that Lyoto got out of a cinched triangle, that should be the story here
Jackelope
5/26/08 3:48:16PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by NatedawgThaM

he would have had to sit up and try to keep the tightness of the choke which would have been hard since he did not follow Machida's role correctly. and i can say from experience that when you are in the heat of it and it is a scramble, you will go for whatever sub you feel most natural with. and on that note Tito probably has never had a triangle from the top in training but i am sure as hell he has done armbars. so because he feels more comfortable Tito went for the armbar while in the scramble instead of sitting up. little things like these are what differentiates between a JJ fighter and a fighter that knows JJ if you know what i mean.

If Tito was a JJ fighter that would have been it for sure. Even though I'm mostly a standup guy I still find it strange that these dudes with as much training as they have don't know how to put a triangle on correctly. I am also surprised at the usual triangle escape we all see. I've always found it easiest to get out of a triangle by posturing up, but most people I see in the UFC tend to put their head down and slip out the back way. I guess in this case it all worked out for Machida, but it's still surprising to see how they go about their business.