Tito Ortiz vs. Ricardo Arona

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Tito Ortiz vs. Ricardo Arona
POLL: Who is gonna impose their will and win
Ricardo Arona 60% (24)
Tito Ortiz 40% (16)
MoJoy
8/12/07 1:02:37PM
This would be a fascinating match. Two ground and pounders. Tito with more wrestling, and elbows, Ricardo with ju jitsu and submissions. I think I would take Ricardo, cause Tito is overated, but a first rate fighter. And has not beaten anybody top notch in a long time. Ricardo, especially recently has fought terrific compition. Has anyone seen Ricardo vs. Fedor a long time ago, it looked to me he gave Fedor his most difficult test. It was a long time ago. This would be a elite matchup. Can't wait to hear what ya'll say. I say I say, Proper.
juanez13
8/12/07 1:18:32PM
I'll take arona...
Mastodon2
8/12/07 1:58:58PM
I'll take Arona in this one, I think he is more technically sound that Tito on the ground, Tito will push for the takedown, because his striking is poor so he doesnt really have any other option, however, once he has Arona down, his GnP will be neutralised; Arona is very experienced on the ground, and would most likely catch Tito off guard with a submission.
Twenty20Dollars
8/12/07 2:21:28PM
I think i'd take tito.
Btews22
8/12/07 2:30:39PM
Arona was dominating rampage till he got the bomb droped on him!!!!!!
chuckw94
8/12/07 2:55:35PM
arona and tito fought in abu dahbi with arona getting the win.
babalu2720
8/12/07 4:15:19PM
I'd take Arona...buy UD
hippysmacker
8/12/07 4:34:14PM
Until I see Arona in a cage with elbows I'm undecided. Logically both would only help him , considering his fighting style, but theres still the UFC jitters to consider.
peachfuzzz1305
8/12/07 5:10:29PM
ARONA
Stickan
8/12/07 7:32:26PM
Arona... just like in ADCC.
kofranklin
8/12/07 10:11:06PM

Posted by Stickan

Arona... just like in ADCC.

He barely won.
jomatty
8/12/07 10:40:39PM
i was just discussing this in another post and i think arona has a serious advantage in this one. i just dont know what tito has done in a long time to make folks think he could hang with arona
fullerene
8/13/07 9:51:16AM

Posted by jomatty

i was just discussing this in another post and i think arona has a serious advantage in this one. i just dont know what tito has done in a long time to make folks think he could hang with arona

He took top position multiple times against an undefeated former D-1 wrestler who is in the prime of his career. People really don't give him credit for beating Rashad--who was supposed to be the next great 205er--for 2 rounds (3 IMO).

But I would take Arona anyhow. His low kicks alone give him the advantage standing and he's so strong that he can wrestle with most wrestlers/judoka (hell, he toook down Kerr in Abu Dhabi). If Tito gets top position Arona can neutralize him better than Tito can if the reverse hold true.

It's a compettive match IMO and I'd be interested to see the fight results on this one...but boy is the fight itself going to be boring.
Branwest
8/13/07 9:55:47AM
Until I see Tito regain the fire he had a few years ago, I'd take Arona.

I would love to see this matchup.
jomatty
8/13/07 11:04:02AM
i guess rashad has never impressed me that much so you are probably right that i discounted his performance in that one.

you are also right that it would be a boring one to watch but possibly so competitive that it could make it fun.
hardhitta513
8/13/07 3:11:43PM
i'd take tito i think arona lost it more than tito...
ultimatefighter33
8/13/07 4:38:10PM
would be a bad ass fight id take arona in the 2nd by submission way to good on the ground than tito
fullerene
8/13/07 5:19:44PM

Posted by ultimatefighter33

would be a bad ass fight id take arona in the 2nd by submission way to good on the ground than tito

Although he's an ADCC champion, he's only won twice by submission in 18 fights--the last time being almost three years ago.

http://fcfighter.brinkster.net/fighter.asp?FighterID=7769

Tito has only been subbed twice in 22 fights and the last time was about 8 years ago.

http://fcfighter.brinkster.net/fighter.asp?FighterID=9029

So I don't see a submission in the making.
SpiderSilva
8/14/07 2:23:48AM
you know I dont think Tito is over rated

He is not the best but be is better than the rest look at his last fights

up and comming lower level fighters
1. Rashad he should have won
2. Forrest won
now the title fight was a good fight he could have lasted longer wich could have helped he did win the 2nd round then he had a brain fart and tried to throw with Chuck

Tito is the future stepping stone for up and comming fighters beat him and now you could be consitered for real(maybe)
Branwest
8/14/07 11:22:01AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

you know I dont think Tito is over rated

He is not the best but be is better than the rest look at his last fights

up and comming lower level fighters
1. Rashad he should have won
2. Forrest won
now the title fight was a good fight he could have lasted longer wich could have helped he did win the 2nd round then he had a brain fart and tried to throw with Chuck

Tito is the future stepping stone for up and comming fighters beat him and now you could be consitered for real(maybe)

In his fight with Forrest, I think Tito won, but not by much. If the judges would've announced Forrest the winner, it wouldn't have suprised me.
The Tito of three or four years ago would've ran through Forrest.
Obviously, his training and conditioning haven't diminished. I don't know if being hit by Chuck has made him more apprehensive or what. I don't think that's it, nor do I think he's afraid of being hit, but something has happened. For some reason, he's lost his fire and drive/will. He just isn't the same. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, and we see it every time he fights. I think Rashad is a good fighter, but once again, the Tito of old would've destroyed him, probably in the first round.
He used to be so much more aggessive. He would go after his oppenents, pick them up, slam them, GnP, and literally, run through them. What happened?
MoJoy
8/14/07 11:20:26PM
What are you talking about? Who has Tito beat? His best victory was against Vitor, and that fight, Vitor I think won. Tito is a good fighter, when he goes against top comp he loses. But he does have skill. Fighters now, are better than 5 years ago. By a lot.
cowcatcher
8/15/07 9:40:12AM
gotta go with arona, very similar styles, but titos back and the years of fighting seem to have caught up with him a little. if both guys are in their primes at the time i might go with tito, i think the cage familiarity would be a big factor.
Branwest
8/15/07 10:15:43AM

Posted by MoJoy

What are you talking about? Who has Tito beat? His best victory was against Vitor, and that fight, Vitor I think won. Tito is a good fighter, when he goes against top comp he loses. But he does have skill. Fighters now, are better than 5 years ago. By a lot.

Absolutely fighters are better now than five years ago. ALOT better. But Tito doesn't have the fire that he used to have. In past, you got the impression that Tito couldn't wait to get in the cage and fight. Now, he seems more apprehensive. When's the last time you seen him slam and GnP somebody like he used to (not counting Shamrock)? He just doesn't do it. He looks like a totally different fighter.
In my opinion, he was never the fighter that some ppl think he was. I've always considered him an overhyped fighter. I think he's a good test for up-and-comers to fight to prove themselves capable of fighting Real, top-five LHW talent. I've never said Tito was great.
MoJoy
8/15/07 10:56:18AM
My friend, who has Tito beat. That's what I'm asking. He never was that good. List who he has actually beat, and you will see what I'm talking about.
cowcatcher
8/15/07 11:09:03AM

Posted by MoJoy

My friend, who has Tito beat. That's what I'm asking. He never was that good. List who he has actually beat, and you will see what I'm talking about.

evan tanner
wandy
shamrock
griffin
metzger
kondo
vitor

you have got to be kidding me, you are so misinformed that im actually defending tito

with the exception of griffin(even though hes popular) thats a whos who of great(at the time) mma fighters

EDIT: i forgot vladdy the janitor
Branwest
8/15/07 11:49:36AM

Posted by MoJoy

Actually, no, I don't see what you're talking about. I know everyone he's fought. I've watched pretty much every fight he's had. Just as cowcatcher posted, he's beaten some damn good fighters, and at one time, was a damn good fighter himself. And yes cowcatcher, it is a sad day when you have to defend Tito, but this dude just doesn't understand.
All I'm saying is, he isn't the same fighter he used to be. Even though he's probably learned alot more in training over the last couple of years, he's not as good as he once was. I've never claimed that Tito's the end-all be-all of fighters and as a matter of fact, I've never particularly cared for him that much, but I have enjoyed his fights. I don't believe he's a top-5 LHW, not even close, but he's young enough to improve his game, and if he regained some of the determination, will, and drive he used to have, might make a descent run at it. I don't think it will happen, but he does have the strength and athleticism, not to mention, great conditioning, to help make it happen.