Tito Ortiz reforming team punishment

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tito Ortiz reforming team punishment
SmileR
5/13/08 9:19:05AM
In it's heyday, Team Punishment was the top of the food chain in mixed martial arts. Founder Tito Ortiz plans to reform his fight team and return it to its former glory when Team Punishment fighters held the Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight and heavyweight titles.

"I have some really, really good guys. I'm really focusing right now on getting back to where I was four years ago, four or five years ago when we had Rampage (Quinton Jackson) and everybody else, Ricco Rodriguez and everybody together," Ortiz told MMAWeekly Radio.

"I'm going to do it again. Ricco is actually training with me now. I've got Mark Munoz from Sacramento training with me right now. I've got Carlo Prater from Texas who is training with me now. I'm going to start focusing on this. I'm going to start doing it. I really feel like I'm getting back to where I was before and surrounding myself with great people, great fighters. I'm going to do this."

Ortiz plans to expand Team Punishment to all weight classes and once again make it one of the premier training camps in MMA.

"I'm going to find a guy in each weight class from 155 to heavyweight, and try to get the best I possibly can. The brand of Team Punishment is a worldwide known brand, and we're known to punish our opponents. You've got to get the best fighters to do that, so I'm going to go across the United States and go across possibly Europe and try to find some of the best fighters and bring them around Team Punishment. I'm going to start the team again."

Link
Jipper
5/13/08 11:39:45AM
Good 2 hear. Most guys cross train in different camps now. It'd be good to see Rampage's camp, Bodyshop Fitness, the leftover Team Punishment guys (Zach Light, McCullogh, etc..) and maybe even a reuniting with Team Oyama all cross training together. Guys from Xtreme Couture, LA Boxing,Team Tompkins and Temecula Team Quest cross train with each other a lot and all those guys are doing great.
bullettdodger
5/13/08 12:16:19PM
I hope he succeeds in reforming the team, but really with his fight coming up and all this i just wonder if Tito Ortiz is biting off more than he can chew, unless he talking about putting all this work into team punishment after his fight... seems a little hectic of a schedule for a dude about to throw down with Machida. I just don't want Tito to spread himself too thin, something i've been worried about for a while. Im pulling for Machida in this fight anyways so i guess it doesn't really matter to me
bigbubbano23
5/13/08 1:39:20PM
i forgot how many good people use to be on team punishment. I hope they get back to the status they once had. I will be very interested to see how they do.
jgtribbett
5/13/08 7:51:48PM
i'd like to see that too.. it'd be nice if he could snag page and all his guys haha
Kpro
5/13/08 10:32:09PM
I think he should pay all of the fighters in Team Punishment at least 30% of his earnings from the brand. After all, they are the ones representing it. I wonder if Tito would be willing to do that.

Hmmm, I think I've heard a similar story somewhere.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/13/08 10:58:00PM
whardin19
5/13/08 11:00:43PM
Not a bad team if he can get all the old guys back in. I also don't think Tito is done as a fighter. If he puts his mind back on fighting and not on his feud with Dana, he could still be a top tier Light Heavyweight.