Tito Ortiz to Affliction MMA official

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tito Ortiz to Affliction MMA official
Next Page »
SmileR
8/5/08 11:06:21PM
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz has officially ended his turbulent tenure with the most popular mixed martial arts promotion in the world, opting to sign with upstart Affliction MMA and reuniting with his on screen “boss,” Donald Trump, from the “Apprentice.”

No specific details of the contract were revealed at this time; however, the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” told SportsIllustrated.com that deal is “like no other.”

Here’s a snip:

“I guarantee you that my contract will be like no other. It will be a ground-breaking record contract for sure, without a doubt. There’s so much money to be made right now in mixed martial arts and it’s all about the fighters trying to make that money. It’s going to be a long-term deal where I put my heart and soul into the company and help build them. That’s something I’m interested in doing. They’re going to bring me on, not just as a fighter but also doing some of the back work also.”

That “back work” likely includes an opportunity to somehow help grow the business behind the scenes. Ortiz — one of the most recognizable and controversial faces in the sport — has been a part of several of the top-grossing pay-per-view (PPV) events ever.

He can likely leverage that star power to contribute to the success of the promotion.

The interesting thing here is that Ortiz is clearly set to likely make a lot of money, which is not uncommon within Affliction MMA. For its first show, in fact, the promotion shelled out an astounding collective payroll that exceeded $3.3 million, cutting into any potential profit significantly.

Link
DiabloFreak56
8/5/08 11:11:56PM
TITO VS BELFORT!!!!!
xphycorx
8/5/08 11:23:50PM
tito/babalu will be great. both are some of my favorite fighters of all time. depending on which babalu shows up will determine who wins the fight. if he fights like his last fight he'll probably win.
Aether
8/5/08 11:24:31PM
yeah they're definitely going to try to use him as a promotional tool. Smart move on their part. I'm guessing they're going to feed him a couple of fighters they know he can beat at first. Right now it's all about building up the interest in Affliction and Fedor being injured is really going to hurt them in that department so picking up Tito is a smart idea.
cmill21
8/5/08 11:24:51PM
Fantastic signing. Guys always on tv, his gf is probably the most known girl of men ages 18-45 and he's definetly well known among all mma fans. I do not like Tito, but that guy sells tickets.
juanez13
8/5/08 11:27:15PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

TITO VS BELFORT!!!!!

IMO more like Tito vs Babalu, with Sobral calling him out + Vitor being a middleweight now i doubt it'll happen, and tbh i rather not see it happen, want Vitor to continue on his way to a success in the MW division and moving up would only side track him.

I'd say this is how Tito matches up in affliction->
1st fight-> Babalu
2nd fight-> If he wins he'll get Lil Nog
3rd fight-> Arona (hopeful thinking that Arona signs with Affliction)
juanez13
8/5/08 11:30:25PM
Wonder how much they'll be paying Tito...I'm guessing once the numbers are released(after his first fight) it'll be something along 400-500k, but i'm sure he'll get something like 500k to 1mil as signing bonus.

If they dont draw big #'s in this next show they'll be in some big trouble, really hope Tito brings those numbers up.
Twenty20Dollars
8/6/08 12:09:05AM
haha tito thinks he's going to get paid from affliction. ok so he might and help run the company down. Let's face it, I dont see ortiz as a top guy anymore. With the lack of depth in Affliction, ortiz won't beat babalu or lil nog. then nobody will want to see affliction throw lesser fighters at ortiz.
cmill21
8/6/08 12:12:45AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

haha tito thinks he's going to get paid from affliction. ok so he might and help run the company down. Let's face it, I dont see ortiz as a top guy anymore. With the lack of depth in Affliction, ortiz won't beat babalu or lil nog. then nobody will want to see affliction throw lesser fighters at ortiz.

Casuals will want to see Tito beat up a can. Casuals is what Affliction is trying to draw now, they know how many hardcore fans they will get after their first card, now they want the big pull from casuals.
Mchubb316
8/6/08 12:14:07AM
I also think Tito will fight Sobral. They seem to have some bad blood, with them talking about each other. They can hype this fight, you know Tito will market it up. I wonder if Tito will bring back some of his crazy entrances?
coldchillin
8/6/08 12:18:33AM
I think it's a great signing for Affliction, I can see Ortiz building up a lot of drama to the fight and making it real personal with Babalu. I'm looking forward to it.
Twenty20Dollars
8/6/08 12:23:11AM
so ortiz is going to fight whitehead or edwin. when babalu is calling him out. I dont think tito is going to take the fight against a can. Fans want to see ortiz in a big fight that will draw fans instead of affliction paying him a bunch of money to fight a can. Affliction needs to test ortiz and see if he is worth all the money. I dont think he will be.
loller90278
8/6/08 1:01:23AM
well, if it's worth anything, i think whitehead can beat ortiz in a decision.
bigbubbano23
8/6/08 1:51:57AM
affliction is only getting bigger. the ufc needs to step it up and pay thier fighters better. If they lose huerta thats it.
Twenty20Dollars
8/6/08 1:56:40AM
well fighters could be coming back to ufc, because the other orgs are having problems. Elitexc,affliction and dream.
RampageOwnedYou
8/6/08 1:58:04AM

The UFC needs to start putting together BETTER cards.

Yeah 4 to 5 good fights are usually on IF that.

But they need top cards from top to bottom. NO EXCUSES. Lets look at it this way, UFC has 40-60 SOLID fighters, how is it not possible to put PRIDE cards when they were around?

I see Dana White allowing Silva to do better cards, because he wants to make millions at a low cost. This pisses me off and im sure many, just for the fact we pay almost 50 bucks a ppv. And i dont know about you guys, but my ass isn't rich, and im sure most people arn't, So if we are making him millions, why cant he give us a year AT Least, of SOLID cards?
He is just going to lose to the competition, and him being a smart guy should now, this is where he needs to step up and give the fans what they want.

Enough of these SUB Par cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jae_1833
8/6/08 2:16:09AM
I would agree with the card issue if I got to see all the fights on the card instead of only like 5 anyways...you know. Tito will most likely get Whitehead or someone else as a first fight, then later on it will be Tito vs Babalu for the belt. I say Babalu gets the sub!
SpiderSilva
8/6/08 2:17:12AM
Seems to me that Tito thinks he is bigger than the UFC which he is not he is bigger than Affiliction right now but if they don't fork out the bucks to promote they have Tito this will get the 500,000 buys just cause they have Tito I don't know time will tell but Tito is Tito
TWITA
8/6/08 9:22:50AM
I truly believe that Tito is done winning fights. All of his recent wins were against "old man" Shamrock. Dude should have lost to Forrest, he fought to a draw with Rashad Evans and got beat by Machida. Whatever Affliction is paying him - it's too much.
Zekeil
8/6/08 10:17:30AM

Seriously are you kidding?
Lil Nog nor Babalu will even come close to beating Tito. Who has he lost too that makes you think he'll lose to either of them? Babalu got his ass beat by Jason Lambert, who in his last four fights has lost three of them to B-level fighters.
Lil Nog would be a test for Tito, but Tito has the perfect style to beat him.

He lost to Chuck (top 5 in the world), he won the fight against Rashad (I've seen fighters grab the fence alot mor than he did in that fight), and he lost to Machida which IMO only wins because he runs like a scared little girl until he wins a decision by throwing weak strikes.

Tito is definately a good acquisition for Affliction. He will sell more tickets than any single fighter in their roster. I'm not saying he's the best fighter in their roster but he's the best buisness man and knows the tricks to sell fights to the casual fan.

War Tito!

wiggum
8/6/08 11:12:42AM
giving tito the biggest contract out there is stupid as hell...yeah he'll get you viewers in his first fight, but after he most likely loses and gives a terrible showing, then people arent gonna watch him......tito is old news and needs to move on to business, thats were is heart is, and thats saying that he ever had one...the gives up more often than france....who did he ever beat worth a damn?...wandy? in wandys fifth fight or whatever? before he really knew anything but brawling, and all tito did was lay and pray...who else? belfort, anybody that saw that fight a second time knows belfort shouldve won....tito made a name fighting less than adequate title challengers in the dark ages in the ufc......when he finally fought upper echelon talent, he got exposed....so whatever this huge contract is, the organization better have made it a one fight deal
wrona666
8/6/08 11:22:19AM
I hope Tito looses every fight at Affliction.....With the type of fighters they are signing it is definately a possibility......BOOOOO TITO!!!!
wrona666
8/6/08 11:26:34AM

Posted by Zekeil

Lil Nog nor Babalu will even come close to beating Tito. Who has he lost too that makes you think he'll lose to either of them? Babalu got his ass beat by Jason Lambert, who in his last four fights has lost three of them to B-level fighters.

He lost to Chuck (top 5 in the world), he won the fight against Rashad (I've seen fighters grab the fence alot mor than he did in that fight), and he lost to Machida which IMO only wins because he runs like a scared little girl until he wins a decision by throwing weak strikes.

Tito is definately a good acquisition for Affliction. He will sell more tickets than any single fighter in their roster. I'm not saying he's the best fighter in their roster but he's the best buisness man and knows the tricks to sell fights to the casual fan.

War Tito!

WOW......What planet are you from.....Tito isnt even top 10 LHW in my opinion.....I think he looses both those fights.....
DevonFoxy
8/6/08 11:36:13AM

Posted by Zekeil

he lost to Machida which IMO only wins because he runs like a scared little girl until he wins a decision by throwing weak strikes.

Yea those weak strikes that Machida did he only put Ortiz on his back and completely dominated the whole fight hurting Ortiz a couple of times most of the time ending the round with Machida on top of Ortiz pounding him but yea those were some weak strikes

wiggum
8/6/08 11:40:09AM
seriously who are YOU kidding?......uh babulu beat shogun, was beating lambert before getting caught and many other top notch fighters...i could go on but mma math is as worthless as your comment that tito would run all over lil nog and babalu..last i checked lil nog was still top 10 and has fought and beaten more top competition than dye job....who has tito beat??....machida made tito his bitch by utilizing a smart game plan to nuetrilize titos abundance of inadequces....and even dropped him with a knee to the body!!...who gets dropped with an open knee to the body at that level? overhyped fighters thats who
Zekeil
8/6/08 1:19:16PM

Posted by wrona666

Posted by Zekeil

War Tito!

WOW......What planet are you from.....Tito isnt even top 10 LHW in my opinion.....I think he looses both those fights.....

Post up some pictures of someone beat up after a Machida fight.

You can't, even the Gif's you just posted are weak. Look at those punches...LOL my girlfriend hits harder.

Machida can't run forever, He will be exposed in his next couple fights.

Also If you actually read I never said Tito is top ten on any list.
DCRage
8/6/08 1:22:03PM
Must be good to be Tito. Away from Dana, new big money deal, new kid on the way with Jenna...not much missing.
wiggum
8/6/08 1:23:19PM
if he's so weak, get in the ring with him then and show it......or maybe you should take the safe route and just look at franklin after his fight, or hoger, or nakamura...they were all beat to hell....or you can just be an internet tough guy and do nothing......tito is past his day and even in his day never beat anybody worth mentioning except a green silva...end of story
Zekeil
8/6/08 1:35:34PM

Posted by wiggum

seriously who are YOU kidding?......uh babulu beat shogun, was beating lambert before getting caught and many other top notch fighters...i could go on but mma math is as worthless as your comment that tito would run all over lil nog and babalu..last i checked lil nog was still top 10 and has fought and beaten more top competition than dye job....who has tito beat??....machida made tito his bitch by utilizing a smart game plan to nuetrilize titos abundance of inadequces....and even dropped him with a knee to the body!!...who gets dropped with an open knee to the body at that level? overhyped fighters thats who

Babalu hasn't beat anyone of calibur for years and he beat shogun...who cares so did Forrest LOL.
What top ten list are you checking... The pride nuthugger's list?
Lil Nog hasn't fought anyone in the UFC so how could he be anywhere close to top ten?
Ufc has the best fighters in the world...so until all of your overhyped Pride girls come fight in the UFC they're no where close to top ten( ala Shogun, Cro-Cop).

In other words STFU and get off Pride's nut's already, It's dead and gone GET OVER IT.
Zekeil
8/6/08 1:54:12PM

Posted by wiggum

if he's so weak, get in the ring with him then and show it......or maybe you should take the safe route and just look at franklin after his fight, or hoger, or nakamura...they were all beat to hell....or you can just be an internet tough guy and do nothing......tito is past his day and even in his day never beat anybody worth mentioning except a green silva...end of story

I'm what you call a critic, not a professional MMA fighter, so Machida would beat me stupider than you are.
Yawn...I'm getting tired of talking about Machida, it's putting me to sleep kinda like his fight's.
Like I said before he can't run forever.
Pages: [1] 2