Who Could Be the Next Tito Ortiz for the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Who Could Be the Next Tito Ortiz for the UFC?
prophecy033
7/5/12 11:17:00PM
In the realm of UFC history, Tito Ortiz certainly was original.

No he wasn’t around during the time of the first UFC events that Royce Gracie ruled with an iron grip, but Ortiz was without question the first “rock star” of the Octagon.

A fighter who knew how to combine his aggressive and attacking style in the cage with persona and charisma outside of it, Ortiz was the original star of mixed martial arts long before pay-per-views reached one million buys.

But now just days away from his final fight at UFC 148, Ortiz is about to step into the UFC Hall of Fame, retire and pass the torch he helped light on to the next generation of competitors.

Link
meier
7/6/12 2:33:21AM
The title should read... who could be the next scott ferrozzo for the ufc!
grappler0000
7/6/12 3:35:42AM
There's only 1 Tito Ortiz...thankfully.
prozacnation1978
7/6/12 9:45:17AM
Tito helped put Ufc on the map. He may suck now and never evolved like lidell. A lot of controversy surrounding him in his Ufc career. But a lot of fans still do like him and he is well deserving for the hall of fame
State_Champ
7/6/12 11:40:23AM
If we're talking about "the next Tito" then I'd nominate Rory Macdonald because he has brutal GnP like Tito.
tallica62
7/6/12 12:57:39PM
No one can..the sport has evolved so much, it's just way different now. He was big when the sport was in a totally different place.
bjj1605
7/6/12 2:04:40PM

Posted by tallica62

No one can..the sport has evolved so much, it's just way different now. He was big when the sport was in a totally different place.

Posted by State_Champ

If we're talking about "the next Tito" then I'd nominate Rory Macdonald because he has brutal GnP like Tito.

I think they are talking more about "combining star power with ability." So it's not just about "who's the next fighter in the UFC who will use ground and pound?"

Honestly I think we already have a "next Tito Ortiz"......Chael Sonnen.

He talks a lot of smack. Some people love him. Some people hate him. Few are in between.

The only difference is that Tito was a 5 time defending champion and Chael has never held a major title.
jay98107
7/6/12 3:08:06PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by tallica62

Posted by State_Champ

I think they are talking more about "combining star power with ability." So it's not just about "who's the next fighter in the UFC who will use ground and pound?"

He talks a lot of smack. Some people love him. Some people hate him. Few are in between.

The only difference is that Tito was a 5 time defending champion and Chael has never held a major title.

That's a pretty solid comparison, they're both polarizing. Tito started getting really cocky after he won his belt, Sonnen on the other hand...
TKDMichael
7/6/12 4:23:05PM
If we're talking the "Gay Mezgard is my b****"-Tito, I'd have to say Sonnen or Bisping.
prophecy033
7/6/12 5:49:47PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by tallica62

Posted by State_Champ

What do you mean he's never been champ, he's the Best EVA....like Baroni
lll-lll
7/7/12 1:08:24AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by tallica62

Posted by State_Champ

I cant believe I didnt think of this myself. Very good call. I think he gets that title tomorrow as much as it pains me to say it. Im praying for another sub win for Silva.
george112
7/7/12 1:24:53AM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by tallica62

Posted by State_Champ

I cant believe I didnt think of this myself. Very good call. I think he gets that title tomorrow as much as it pains me to say it. Im praying for another sub win for Silva.

Chael talks but he certainly backs it up. Even with the loss to Silva he more than proved Silva is beatable

Sonnen I hope learned from the last fight that he can't get comfortable. His standup worked because he countered effectively and did his homework on Silvas tendencies. Unless Silva comes out with.a suped up strategy that is totally different I don't see this fight going any different. Sonnen has solved the puzzle that is Anderson Silva upto this point. He needs to play this smart and strategic . Even with the knowledge of Silvas game Silva is still the champ for a reason. He is a damn good opponent who is formidable wherever the fight goes. I am not a fan but I can appreciate his skull as a UFC champion.

With that being said I can't wait to see this showdown of 2 best Middleweights on the planet