Tito interview about his future with the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tito interview about his future with the UFC
Next Page »
jae_1833
3/6/08 3:28:34PM
Video Link

Basically says that he's done with the UFC and wants to fight Frank Shamrock!
silverbullet
3/6/08 3:39:36PM
Tito hasn't been hungry in 5 years. I don't even know why he hung around as long as he did.
gsquat
3/6/08 3:44:44PM
good riddance
slappywhite
3/6/08 3:49:21PM
he's your favourite fighters, favourite fighter

so watch your typing fingers, pally
silverbullet
3/6/08 4:04:45PM

Posted by slappywhite

he's your favourite fighters, favourite fighter

so watch your typing fingers, pally

lol
Daddyprimetime
3/6/08 4:10:15PM
I'm sick of his sh*t. Go somewhere and fight lower quality fighters, good call Tito.
wapttn
3/6/08 4:12:07PM
at this point in tito's career, he has everything to prove. He's been a champ, he's been the face of the ufc, he's had his reign and his respect... but now its gone. The landscape of the game has changed and so has he. The guy still has the tools and the fighter's IQ to be a top10 and maybe even a top5 lhw in the ufc. There's only been one fighter who's been able to sprawl tito's takedowns consistantly.. and that fighter's sprawl has been coined "legendary". If tito gets you to the ground, guard, half guard, sidecontrol, mount... it doesnt matter, the doode wrote the book on ground and pound and does it better than anyone in the game.

The problem with this is that one of two things has happened, he's either burnt out and a shadow of what he used to be, or he's taken time to rehab his injuries (which i think are legit) and is finally ready to get back to top competition. Machida will be an excellent test, and it'll tell us what tito is still capable of... until that fight, we really cant assume anything about him.

With that said, one thing that bugs me about tito is that he's a business man first and a fighter second. I'm a fan of the "soul fighters", the ones who want to fight the best to be the best, and just love to fight for the sport of it. Tito is not that kind of fighter... he wants his payday, he wants his respect, and he wants his recognition/belt. If he think theres a better chance of gettin that elsewhere... i wouldnt put it past him to go.
silverbullet
3/6/08 4:20:02PM

Posted by wapttn

at this point in tito's career, he has everything to prove. He's been a champ, he's been the face of the ufc, he's had his reign and his respect... but now its gone. The landscape of the game has changed and so has he. The guy still has the tools and the fighter's IQ to be a top10 and maybe even a top5 lhw in the ufc. There's only been one fighter who's been able to sprawl tito's takedowns consistantly.. and that fighter's sprawl has been coined "legendary". If tito gets you to the ground, guard, half guard, sidecontrol, mount... it doesnt matter, the doode wrote the book on ground and pound and does it better than anyone in the game.

The problem with this is that one of two things has happened, he's either burnt out and a shadow of what he used to be, or he's taken time to rehab his injuries (which i think are legit) and is finally ready to get back to top competition. Machida will be an excellent test, and it'll tell us what tito is still capable of... until that fight, we really cant assume anything about him.

With that said, one thing that bugs me about tito is that he's a business man first and a fighter second. I'm a fan of the "soul fighters", the ones who want to fight the best to be the best, and just love to fight for the sport of it. Tito is not that kind of fighter... he wants his payday, he wants his respect, and he wants his recognition/belt. If he think theres a better chance of gettin that elsewhere... i wouldnt put it past him to go.

precisely
Shawn17
3/6/08 4:33:41PM
Frank Shamrock would ruin him.
DustinT
3/6/08 4:34:29PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

so annoying.

i've always wondered who has a bigger dome.
leben
or
ortiz

that's the real debate.
*nod*

oh yeah, and i'd LOVE to see frank walk through him.
slappywhite
3/6/08 4:37:21PM

Posted by Shawn17

Frank Shamrock would ruin him.

Darnok
3/6/08 4:41:45PM
At least Tito is a has been. Frank is a never was.
DustinT
3/6/08 4:51:04PM
ahhh now don't say that....
Shawn17
3/6/08 4:52:05PM

Posted by Darnok

never was what? He was 5 time undefeated UFC champion?? The king of Pancrease and Strikeforce MW champion. What are you talking about?
silverbullet
3/6/08 4:54:11PM
I think Ortiz would be a terrible matchup for Shamrock knowing that Shamrock couldn't even stop Renzo Gracie's takedowns.
Shawn17
3/6/08 4:56:40PM
That takedowns didnt stop him from beating Tito the first time
waylon_o
3/6/08 5:13:34PM

Posted by Darnok

Wow...you must be from the TUF generation. Frank Shamrock is a legend...he may not be what he used to be, but that's like saying Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock sucked. This post is almost insulting.
DustinT
3/6/08 5:19:53PM
i hadn't the heart to say the same thing to him

ignorance is bliss
*shrug*
Darnok
3/6/08 5:23:16PM

Posted by waylon_o

Posted by Darnok

Wow...you must be from the TUF generation. Frank Shamrock is a legend...he may not be what he used to be, but that's like saying Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock sucked. This post is almost insulting.

Don't ever refer to me as a tuffer. You are probably what 14. I was watching UFC 1 on the big screen while I working in a bar. This not Sherdog so stop insulting people for there opions and go home to Sherdog.

He is not a Legend, that is his nickname that he gave himself. Name 1 good fighter he has beaten besides tito years ago.

Frank is just hype and talk. At least Tito got in there with the best of the best. He lost, but at least he was fighting.
waylon_o
3/6/08 5:35:17PM
Tito Ortiz
Jeremy Horn
Igor Zinoviev
Minoru Suzuki
Masakatsu Funaki X2
Bas Rutten
These people were excellent in their prime...Frank Shamrock fought and beat some of the best fighters of his day. If you call him a never-has-been, then you have to say the same about Bas, Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Dan Severn...they fought in the same period and fought som eof these same people. And no, I'm not 14.
silverbullet
3/6/08 5:37:14PM

Posted by waylon_o

Tito Ortiz
Jeremy Horn
Igor Zinoviev
Minoru Suzuki
Masakatsu Funaki X2
Bas Rutten
These people were excellent in their prime...Frank Shamrock fought and beat some of the best fighters of his day. If you call him a never-has-been, then you have to say the same about Bas, Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Dan Severn...they fought in the same period and fought som eof these same people. And no, I'm not 14.

dude he beat Bas in '94
waylon_o
3/6/08 5:40:37PM
I know that...I didn't say he would do it now or even that he was a better fighter than Bas because he probably wasn't...but he did beat him fair and square, and put on a good show doing it. I was just proving that Frank Shamrock was not a never-has-been.
Darnok
3/6/08 5:42:52PM
He was then beat by Bas twice after that

So you are right he beat two guys that are considered good Horn and Tito. Big whoop.
Darnok
3/6/08 5:46:11PM
I appologize if I have given thet impresion that I like Tito more than Frank. That is not the case and yes Frank is a decent fighter.

I just don't think he deserves to be called a Legend. That is reserved for people who will fight anyone anytime. Frank is a talker just like Ken they are only about half as good as they think they are.
telnights
3/6/08 6:01:35PM
Man.... great all we need is the 2 biggest trash talkers in MMA today fighting again. Both of them are so full of themselves its not even funny. Doesn't matter who wins they will still be the same way after the fight. I will be shocked if any company can afford this fight as both of them think they are worth way more than they are. I bet you anything if Frank ends up losing he will find some way to get DQed before the fight is over.
Shawn17
3/6/08 6:10:14PM
Frank Shamrock was the first real complete fighter. Honestly hes still top 10 in the world at MW.
Boo_Radley21
3/6/08 6:41:22PM
Frank's gonna win if he fights Tito.
RMFG_187
3/6/08 6:45:56PM
IMO, Tito is the only 1 who can Beat Page, he should stay once he mauls Machida

EDIT-

Forgot, Forrest can too
Pookie
3/6/08 7:08:52PM

Posted by RMFG_187

IMO, Tito is the only 1 who can Beat Page, he should stay once he mauls Machida

EDIT-

Forgot, Forrest can too

muahaha i feel great knowing that your season rank is going to slip down after choosing tito and forrest.
Pookie
3/6/08 7:10:38PM

Posted by Shawn17

That takedowns didnt stop him from beating Tito the first time

you do realize that he won from elbows to the back of the head, a move that is no longer legal and short of that he had no real answers for tito.

Shamrock will have to go up in weight hes at 185 now.
Pages: [1] 2