Tito: I will be fighting my last fight July 4 weekend

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tito: I will be fighting my last fight July 4 weekend
emfleek
1/3/12 9:13:54AM
The career of Tito Ortiz spans 15 years. At his peak he was the UFC lightheavyweight champion, the sport's biggest PPV draw, and more. He proved that mixed martial arts could be viable, at a point where its future was in doubt. In now small way, he carried MMA.

As the caliber of the athlete has markedly improved, as exemplified by current lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones, Tito's skill have fallen just, barely, short. He has gone 1-5 his last six fights, although many of them were highly competitive.

After losing to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the first round at UFC 140 in Dec. 10, many fans thought that was the end.

It's not. Tito wants one more fight, n July 4th, against Forrest Griffin or Chuck Liddell. As Liddell is firmly retired, that would leave a rubber match with fellow ex lightheavyweight champion Forrest Griffin as the most likely scenario.

LINK
airkerma
1/3/12 9:16:10AM
Please not against Forrest. That fight was terrible last time, who really thinks it will be more exciting or exciting at all this time?
BuffaloDave
1/3/12 9:25:52AM

Posted by airkerma

Please not against Forrest. That fight was terrible last time, who really thinks it will be more exciting or exciting at all this time?

emfleek
1/3/12 9:40:32AM
The funny thing is that I have no desire to see either Tito *or* Forrest fight again.
FastKnockout
1/3/12 10:05:24AM
It angers me he would throw Chuck's name out there, knowing that the man is retired and the only reason he could possibly beat him is the fact that Chuck's chin is gone.
mattjonesy
1/3/12 10:19:39AM
I dont want to see any of those fights! Go out like Randy! like a passing of the torch kind of deal!
jjeans
1/3/12 10:24:58AM

Posted by mattjonesy

I dont want to see any of those fights! Go out like Randy! like a passing of the torch kind of deal!

Give an easy win to my boy Thiago Silva on your way out please. Thanks
emfleek
1/3/12 10:56:12AM

Posted by mattjonesy

I agree. Go out with a front kick to the face resulting in your teeth flying out of the octagon!

prozacnation1978
1/3/12 11:24:02AM
For one ufc july right now is on projection for 150
And two I am planning on going. I don't wanna see a tito vs forrest main or co main event

And three. 4th of july weekend. Well 4th of july lands on a wed this year cause of leap year. So I don't know what he is talking about. The ufc event will be on july 7th
Theoutlaw08
1/3/12 11:33:57AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mattjonesy

I agree. Go out with a front kick to the face resulting in your teeth flying out of the octagon!

Yes sir....would love to see Tito take that kick....
sparky
1/3/12 11:39:26AM
I personally want to see Tito's last fight. Hes been entertaining us for years to not want to see him in his last ever MMA bout just seems ridiculous to me!!!!!

Thanks for the EPIC CAREER TITO
Twenty20Dollars
1/3/12 11:50:42AM
I'd rather him just retire. Not interest in seeing him fight Forrest who he pretty much lost to twice, even Chuck would still beat him.
DANZANRYUGUY
1/3/12 12:13:43PM
Let Alexander Gustafsson tear him up for his last fight. I've enjoyed watching most of his fights over the years but i'm glad he's ready to call it a day. it's gotta be hard leaving behind something you love but he hasnt looked that great in the past few years. .i dont want to see him fight Chuck or Forrest again. I wouldnt mind seeing him fight Shogun maybe. 2 vet's going at it.
tallica62
1/3/12 12:20:20PM
let him fight christina cyborg...thats the only ortiz fight id like to see
LightsOUT23
1/3/12 1:16:37PM
HE SHOULD RETIRE WITH HIS LAST OPPONENT BEING MACHIDA !!!
mrsmiley
1/3/12 1:45:02PM
Personally I still want to see Chuck & Tito 3.
Budgellism
1/3/12 1:48:29PM

Posted by sparky

I personally want to see Tito's last fight. Hes been entertaining us for years to not want to see him in his last ever MMA bout just seems ridiculous to me!!!!!

Thanks for the EPIC CAREER TITO

The word us should not be used in this sentence. If he entertained you for years I'm happy and more power to you but honestly the only time I've been entertained by Tito is when he's lying on the canvas or getting his arse spanked. Not trying to be a hater but towards Tito I always have been, always will be.
Kpro
1/3/12 1:53:34PM
Why not Bonnar. Has name value, on a 3 fight win streak, and if Bonnar wins it's his biggest `name` win and puts him on a 4 fight win streak. If Tito wins, he goes out with a win against a `name` opponent. I'm sure both guys think they could beat the other.
Poor_Franklin
1/3/12 2:29:00PM
i was kind of hoping him & Franklin would fight & Rich would be the one to retire Tito.
jae_1833
1/3/12 2:54:58PM
His last opponent needs to be a vet whose is not on a wins streak. Franklin, or Matyushenko are good for Tito. If you put him against Hendo, Shogun, Machida or Rampage then its going to be sad really. I dont think he is in the same ball park really. My first pick would personally be Franklin after Tito's statements on Inside MMA.
kingsmasher
1/3/12 6:44:29PM
Lets give him a shot at Jon Jones for the hell uv it....
mrsmiley
1/3/12 6:47:47PM

Posted by Kpro

Why not Bonnar. Has name value, on a 3 fight win streak, and if Bonnar wins it's his biggest `name` win and puts him on a 4 fight win streak. If Tito wins, he goes out with a win against a `name` opponent. I'm sure both guys think they could beat the other.

I think this would be a winnable fight for either guy. I like the idea.
Shawn91111
1/3/12 7:01:20PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Personally I still want to see Chuck & Tito 3.

Probably the only fight id actually watch of Tito's anymore. Add Couture for a triple threat final conflict
Lesnar1
1/3/12 10:16:45PM
Wether you want to see it or not, Tito deserves one last fight to go out on, for everything he's accomplished and done for the sport, besides Griffin & Ortiz each have a victory over eachother, so a rubber match makes sense for both at this point in their careers.
Shawn91111
1/4/12 12:00:29AM
Thats one rubber match I have no interest in.
Kpro
1/4/12 8:59:02AM
I'd rather see him face Ken Shamrock than Forrest Griffin.
Bubbles
1/5/12 6:37:49PM

Posted by Kpro

my thoughts too