Tito so close... yet so far.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Tito so close... yet so far.
nubby
5/24/08 11:36:25PM
Damn.
ncordless
5/24/08 11:37:12PM
Insta Ban
Twenty20Dollars
5/25/08 12:49:44AM
i couldnt believe it, i actually pick tito to win for one fight and he loses WTF haha ya know.

I did so bad at UFC 84 its ridiculous!
Jackelope
5/25/08 12:54:19AM

Posted by nubby

Damn.

I think we're seeing an ending in a true nut hugging era from Nubby

He went out classy, though. IMO. I got respect for the guy, but I've never, ever liked him. I was kind of sad to see him leave just because it's like watching Jordan retire.
Raykill
5/25/08 2:55:36AM

Posted by nubby

Damn.

hails
5/25/08 2:58:27AM
Tito has not been the same for a number of years.

When was the last time he finished someone other than Ken Shamrock!!!

I don't think he will be worth much to another org. Yes he can hype a fight, but if he can not get it done on the canvas what use is he to a FIGHTING org?

PS - Mods dont delete this post, this is not fighter bashing, but stating facts!!!

RMFG_187
5/25/08 3:22:31AM

Posted by hails
I don't think he will be worth much to another org. Yes he can hype a fight, but if he can not get it done on the canvas what use is he to a FIGHTING org?

Machida played smart, but boring. and the ONLY opportunity Tito got in the entire fight, he almost subs him with less than 30 seconds on the ground.

Tito has not changed, and I think he is in his prime now. but Machida is a very hard person to fight. Especially a fighter like Tito who likes to clinch, and GnP.

EliteXC, DREAM, CR. any of those orgs would love to have him. Yes he can hype a fight, he can make amazing fights. eg. Forrest, Ken, Chuck, Randy, Vitor etc. he makes fights. just this fight was a very bad match up for him. I guess Dana told Joe Silva to work hard on who would be able to beat Tito to make him leave.
telnights
5/25/08 3:26:38AM
I don't think Tito will ever be a real threat at 205 again. His last 4 fights he has looked slow and his take downs are slow and telegraphed.
Sam_Rothstein
5/25/08 3:43:59AM
Dana knew what he was doing

He sent tito off with a lack luster 3 round decision loss. im sure everyone knew exactly what machida was gonna do and he did it. He didnt make too many fans in the process but its another win on his record.

He knew that not only would tito lose the fight but he would look sloppy trying to chase machida around for 3 rounds. Now Tito is a free agent with 0-2-1 record in his last 3 fights.

With that said, Dana is an idiot for letting a silly feud make him decide to release tito ortiz. Even though he isnt the guy he once was he still has something machida never will. Star power. People seem to forget that Tito was chuck liddell. He was the guy appearing in magazines and hollywood movies. He was the guy that celebrities would come to see.

Its like floyd mayweather vs oscar de la hoya. Floyd mayweather proved he was the better fighter, but oscar is the one who sold the fight.

This is all coming from a guy who has flamed tito on the boards before.

If dana does cut tito ortiz. It will be only a matter of weeks before he gets a better contract with HDFights or Elite XC
Jackelope
5/25/08 10:40:07AM
Well said, sir.
DCRage
5/25/08 11:05:29AM
If the post-fight press conference was any indication, Tito's only coming back to UFC when/if Dana ever leaves. Tito apparently being Tito, although it seems he only stayed because Jenna told him to. She's still got a tight hold on the leash, I see.

(I picked Machida to win by UD, had to go against my boy. Only fight I nailed, so my score was kinda bad despite another 9-2 record, which I won't complain about)
telnights
5/25/08 2:32:23PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein
With that said, Dana is an idiot for letting a silly feud make him decide to release tito ortiz. Even though he isnt the guy he once was he still has something machida never will. Star power. People seem to forget that Tito was chuck liddell. He was the guy appearing in magazines and hollywood movies. He was the guy that celebrities would come to see.

Dana isn't kicking Tito out Tito is leaving on his own free will.
Poohbah
5/25/08 4:37:48PM
I would have loved to see the look on Dana's face when Tito sunk in that last second triangle. Everyone in my house was screaming at the top of their lungs (some pro-Tito, some for Machida)! I don't like the guy, but he almost pulled off a miraculous upset. Dana would have S#!$ bricks. Imagine how insufferable Tito would be if he pulled that one out.

That being said, I think Tito is clearly on the decline. He didn't come close to taking Machida down and eventually gave up on trying, even though the distance closed towards the end of the fight.

It's a bit of a dilemma for UFC. Tito will be a huge pickup for one of their competitors. Like someone said earlier, at 0-2-1 in his last three fights, his value is diminished in UFC.

So do they sign him to keep him away from their competitors, or let him go? I think it ultimately comes down to their (UFC) branding. They clearly claim they only keep the best fighters. Since Tito has little upside looking forward, I think they bite the bullet and let him make some coin outside the organization. I predict he'll be fighting Frank Shamrock very soon.

BIGKAT
5/26/08 1:46:48AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

He sent tito off with a lack luster 3 round decision loss. im sure everyone knew exactly what machida was gonna do and he did it. He didnt make too many fans in the process but its another win on his record.

I disagree... Machida actually gained a fan because I enjoyed his watching his elusive style while still damaging tito...and showing that he was stronger than tito..IMO, he manhandled tito in every aspect of the fight... just like I picked that he would... :)
Lord_Lenny
5/26/08 2:02:39AM

Posted by nubby

Damn.

i hear you man.. its like the wind got permanently knocked out of me when machida got out of the triangle
Sam_Rothstein
5/26/08 6:12:31PM

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I disagree... Machida actually gained a fan because I enjoyed his watching his elusive style while still damaging tito...and showing that he was stronger than tito..IMO, he manhandled tito in every aspect of the fight... just like I picked that he would... :)

im almost positive everyone picked machida to win by UD, in this sport its hard to find a gaurantee'd winner. Machida by UD is though

I know he gained a lot of die hard fans, but die hard fans dont really help ppv sales. There are gonna be about 10,000 people who are just like you who will love to see his next fight. The other 990,000 fans who buy the ppv might look at another way to spend there $45 though
BIGKAT
6/1/08 1:42:21PM
Oh, just because I was impessed with his fight against Ortiz, doesn't mean that I'd buy a PPV based on the fact that Machida was fighting. hardly. :) But as you can tell by my avatar, seeing Ortiz get whupped on is my pleasure! And seeing Ortiz about to cry after the Machida loss was icing on the cake...LOL
BlueSkiesBurn
6/1/08 3:50:06PM
I, personally, will respectfully disagree. I love watching the technician that is Machida. People forget, or at least it hasn't been brought up, that this was not Machida's first tangle with a "big name." He has beaten Rich Franklin as well as B.J. Penn. In my opinion, Lyoto is the next big thing in the Light Heavyweight division. He is a very elusive fighter and can drain his opponent's energy. He may not be exciting to watch from a purely "showmanship" angle, but I enjoy watching his fights. I would rather watch a technician at work for 3 rounds than that joke of a fight between Jardine and Silva. I know we all love the great knockouts but let's be honest with ourselves, anyone who loves the sport of MMA loves the skill and passion it takes to be a fighter. Machida displays all of that in his fights. I would buy another pay-per-view just to watch him fight.
The_Italian_Stallion
6/4/08 12:13:46PM
I know I can't believe he didn't win but with Lyoto using his game plan as expertly as he did it's hard not to lose!
BlueSkiesBurn
7/27/08 4:33:51AM
This becomes somewhat off topic because we are now pretty removed from this fight, but I'm growing real f*cking tired of the Machida bashers on these forums. Okay, I get it. You think he's boring. I LOVE watching Fedor and A Silva but those main events on July 19th were a joke. Between the two of them they fought for a combined 1:37 seconds. That's the effin' main event!?!??! I'll watch a Machida fight any day over a 1:01 main event and a 36 second main event. I'm not nutthugging Machida by any means but I enjoy a serious MMA competition between a fighter who doesn't just destroy his opponent and an opponent who tries as they might to mount something and it works or it doesn't. It pushes the pace of the action and ensures that I receive my hard earned $50 bucks. 2 minute knockouts seriously piss me off when I've spent great money to watch the fight. I was happy Fedor and Silva won but extremely pissed that I waited all night to watch the both of them and the fights were over before I could get off the phone with my girlfriend who was at the store trying to buy beer for the fight. That's right, I sent her! 'Cause I don't move during MMA competition. Shit, I was still on the phone telling her to get a case of Stella when Fedor choked him out. I told her I was pissed and to just get a bottle to cure my pain. Even though Arlovski dominated Big Ben that was a much better fight than Sylvia and Fedor!!!!
casey64
7/30/08 8:28:00PM
DAMN!!!!