Titles not on the line hendo-rampage

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Titles not on the line hendo-rampage
Next Page »
Tons33
7/2/07 10:11:33PM
Ufcjunkie.com has the story.

That is crazy, i just lost alot of interest i had in the fight. I really wanted to see one guy with both belts.
kevietre
7/2/07 10:15:00PM
WOW! Yea it takes away from the fight. 3 rounds instead of 5 and no undisputed champion. That's disappointing.
I'm still looking forward to the fight but that sucks I was under the impression that the whole purpose for the fight was to find the true champ at 205.
tuvok500
7/2/07 10:17:44PM
I just post the same new of you 4 min later .

sorry for this

shame to the ufc

Ydoc
7/2/07 10:38:19PM
It sucks but I understand it, they can't be having double champions if Pride is going to be staying around. Too bad this isn't a match like Silva vs. Liddell, where the heat was already there titles or not.

I'd rather they cancel this match and let Rampage fight the winner of Rashad/Tito. At least that'd be better than throwing a away a match and put the title back in the spotlight.
MrLehman
7/2/07 10:48:02PM
to no titles!
mk1630
7/2/07 10:49:44PM
Why would this be a non title fight?? I thought Dana said the UFC would never have a champion fight a non title fight? There is no reason to not have Rampage defend at least his belt in this fight.
MMAcca
7/2/07 11:00:33PM
Why why why ???

At least have them defend 1 of the belts.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fight being outside of the US
mk1630
7/2/07 11:07:37PM

Posted by MMAcca

Why why why ???

At least have them defend 1 of the belts.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fight being outside of the US

It shouldnt have anything to do with it not being in the US, but who knows these days. Either way its bull.
adamsb
7/2/07 11:34:11PM
gay
gutoo
7/2/07 11:48:03PM
shogun deserves this title shot
hippysmacker
7/3/07 12:06:34AM
First- UFC junkie has been wrong a lot lately.In the last 2 weeks alone they reported the false Strike force fighter pay numbers, and that Forest was fighting Alexander . So it might be a good idea to take his suppositions with a grain of salt.

Second- He sure is inferring a lot from that little blurb Dana says . No where in Dana's comments does it say it won't be a 5 round fight. It doesn't specify either way.

Third- It also doesn't clarify if there will be a Undisputed belt given to the winner

Fourth- Dana says things all the time about far away events and changes them later, or he what he wants to happen doesn't work out in time .

Fifth- And most important to me. This sure looks like a move to keep Pride alive, no point keeping a belt separate if it's not in another org .So let's hope this time Dana isn't just spouting a little wishful thinking.
FeelTheJoy
7/3/07 12:52:42AM
boooooooooooo
roadking95th
7/3/07 1:07:09AM
The only reason why I would be disapointed, if this were true, is the lack of a 5 round fight.

I don't believe any of the belts should be unified if Pride is going to be ran separate. I am also a little leary of a fighter holding two belts in the same org, as it cuts down on title defenses and prevents the ultimate card from happening...Champ vs. Champ!

Perhaps they should have a separate belt for such matches?

Simply put, when a Champion walks into the ring either his belt is on the line, he is fighting another Champ for a special belt or at the very least it should be a 5 rounder vs the other Champ.
cincyassasin
7/3/07 1:12:36AM
BS......Hendo gonna win for nothin now!
johny_rotten
7/3/07 1:22:43AM
Who cares!!! The Pride champion is fighting the UFC champion. The winner is the best 205lb fighter in the world. All the belt is a symbol of that. The fight is what actully counts not the belt.

I am with hippy though. There will be a belt on the line that night, and they will make it 5 rounds. I don't buy any of what ufcjunkie is reporting. If the fight is isn't for either belt that exsists Zuffa will make a new belt for unification matches.
FeelTheJoy
7/3/07 1:26:44AM
i really want to see 5 rounds. but i dont think its gona last that long.
loller90278
7/3/07 1:56:48AM
i actually like this idea! its like the superbowl, but instead of waiting all year for 5 fights, we can see 1 fight every other month or so... IMO i think thats better cuz im impatient..

first hendo - jackson
then couture - fedor
!
roman
7/3/07 3:29:10AM
I could give a crap as long as I get to see them fight. It's going to be a sweet matchup.
InkedUp
7/3/07 7:20:30AM
I am actually glad the titles wont be on the line. It will allow PRIDE to keep its self going by not having to worry about seeing its title over here in the states exclusively on our champ cause hes fighting in the UFC cause thats where the talent is now. I say keep the titles seperate and we can have a few "Champ vs Champ" PPVs a year and just see who has the best talent pool.
Aether
7/3/07 8:50:38AM
the ONLY way this is a good idea is if:

1. The match is conducted as though it were a title match regardless of what belts are/are not on the line (ie 5 rounds)

2. The reasoning for putting neither belt on the line is to keep PRIDE alive and a separate entity.

Regardless of what they decide Dana's lack of professionalism is bad for the sport as a whole. Making announcements and randomly changing your mind is not acceptable as the head of a major corporation involved in the entertainment industry. If you don't know what you want to do for sure, don't announce it publicly. I guarantee if this is billed as a 3 round non-title fight there will be a massive decline in interest regardless of if the fight still represents an "MMA superbowl" event. Bad way to do business.
CTU81
7/3/07 11:33:18AM

Posted by Aether

2. The reasoning for putting neither belt on the line is to keep PRIDE alive and a separate entity.

Exactly how I feel. If they aren't going to keep PRIDE alive then it is a waste to make this a non-title fight.
nubby
7/3/07 12:08:51PM
This is a really bad idea for a non-title fight with Rampage. If he loses, what does that say about the 205 division in the UFC?
johny_rotten
7/3/07 12:26:58PM
Something everyone may want to keep in mind before drawing conclusions about why the belts aren't on the line. After UFC 71 there were post fight interviews with Dan. He stated he agreed to the fight, but they were still working on the contract. It is possible that the two parties are not coming close on a multi fight deal. Dana could have pulled the belts to avoid what happened when BJ won the belt.
hippysmacker
7/3/07 7:04:25PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Something everyone may want to keep in mind before drawing conclusions about why the belts aren't on the line. After UFC 71 there were post fight interviews with Dan. He stated he agreed to the fight, but they were still working on the contract. It is possible that the two parties are not coming close on a multi fight deal. Dana could have pulled the belts to avoid what happened when BJ won the belt.

that's a decent point, and one I admit I hadn't thought of
Metafour
7/3/07 7:06:04PM
I actually don't think this is a bad idea. If Zuffa keeps the Pride organization around and has its champions from both organizations compete from time to time it would be great.
pharside
7/3/07 7:48:32PM
Bah, i think this is crap if they were going to have all the top guys in Pride and UFC and have non title matchs they have just turned into some type of GP or something made a grand champ or something that could have meant more.
jocksmall
7/3/07 9:06:08PM
this makes dana look like a hypocrit he criticized pride for making non title fights and he is now doing it. he must want to insure rampage fights someone else for the title. this is lame i want dan to hold all of the belts. beat rampage then beat anderson
CanadianCripplr
7/3/07 10:28:10PM
So now it is a title fight again, just the ufc belt. I guess they want to keep the pride brand seperate. Maybe it was a contract stipulation of Hendersons.? Kinda like WWE....
Ultimate_fighter
7/4/07 12:00:28AM
NOW THE UFC TITLE IS ON THE LINE, BUT I STILL WONT BOTH... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME... BUT ITS A UFC EVENT SO THERE IS NO POINT TO PUTTING THE PRIDE BELT ON... BUT YAY!
wickerman
7/5/07 7:37:22PM
Both titles on the line is stupid, then that would mean one person would have both titles at all times unless they only fought for one belt at a time. How can you call someone a champion if they lose one belt and retain the other? Plus it cuts down on the title fight opportunities for other challengers. I think the unification is pointless unless pride is definately going down, yet still pointless even then.
They should keep the titles in their designated organizations.
Pages: [1] 2