Title shots WTF

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Title shots WTF
« Previous Page
TNunley
9/25/07 3:52:07PM

Posted by Hurricane_Brad

Does Wanderlei deserve a title shot less than, say, Randy Couture did? As I recall, he was coming off of a KO loss when he fought for the HW title, and he only fought once between losing the LHW belt to Liddell and challenging for it again. Kind of hypocritical to rag on other fighters for getting another shot after 1 fight and ignore the same treatment given to the man in your av.

That to me is a whole different deal. Who in the HW division was there to piss and moan about a missed opportunity? The LHW division is stacked, and until Wandy proves something here, he doesn't deserve an immediate title shot. Page is the only fighter to have done anything decent when coming from Pride, so what makes Wandy so different? Because he fought and lost against Tito in the UFC 7 years ago?
TNunley
9/25/07 3:54:19PM

Posted by jmoooooo

...if silva has 2 or 3 warm up fights, theres the risk he loses to "lesser" competition, like shogun, or crocop. cro cop CANT get a title shot now, so the UFC paid big big money to bring in a guy who has looked like crap, has a 1-2 record in the UFC, and at this point will never bring the return on the investment that was originally hoped for...

Oh you mean he would actually have to climb the ranks like every other fighter? That would be horrible!!!
Djbb
9/25/07 4:03:15PM
How bout they just stick all the entire top 10 LHW in the Octagon at the same time and let them have a battle royale. The guy who comes out alive gets to fight Rampage lol
TNunley
9/25/07 4:21:38PM
ha, that might work... but then they would have a tough time figuring out which 10 fighters would be considered "top 10" and we'd be right back where we are now, but with one hell of a ppv ticket
GTS
9/28/07 12:37:56AM
just let him fight and see what happends next. dana better come up with some good fight cards and better judges. bisping didnt deserve that win anyways
Tuchek
9/28/07 11:37:18AM
Silva fights Forrest, Jardine gets a title shot. Jardine has beaten Forrest. Not taking anything away from Forrest. He put on a hell of a show at 76.

I mean honestly, the way Dana has been doing things, if Liddel would have won, he would have had his rematch. Now they have to build him back up, if they can. He is very gun shy.

Shogun is pretty much in the same boat as Chuck. He is going to have to have a couple of rebound fights.

I dont think you will see a Rampage Hendo 2. Hendo will fight for the title when Rampage looses it.

Wandy has to have a fight or 2 before even getting a contenders fight. He has 2 losses in his last 2 fights. Granted they are both against 2 tremendous fighters, but they are none the less losses.
Buddharox
9/28/07 12:23:32PM
You have a picture of Randy Couture in your avatar. He didn't earn the shot to fight for the belt he holds either.
jgtribbett
9/28/07 3:26:14PM

Posted by TNunley

I dunno man, coming off 2 losses?

he came off of a loss to henderson who would win five outta ten fights with jackson and also got beat by a formally dominant HW striker (cc)

give the guy a break...
i say give him forrest and then the title shot if he wins
TNunley
9/28/07 3:34:24PM

Posted by metal_mecca43

he came off of a loss to henderson who would win five outta ten fights with jackson and also got beat by a formally dominant HW striker (cc)

give the guy a break...
i say give him forrest and then the title shot if he wins

Give him a break? If you can give me one actual reason why he "deserves" a title shot, I will concede my argument. Saying that he beat Page before is not a reason he deserves a title shot. That would be like saying Vitor Belfort deserves a title shot against Couture because he beat him back in UFC 46. Vitor doesn't deserve a title shot, so why should Wandy get one?

But, let's go ahead and waste another Pride contract by putting a guy in over his head AGAIN.
Azzkiker
9/28/07 8:50:22PM
I dont think The Ultimate fighter winners deserved title shots. I know serra won but i dont think he is the best or even in the top 5 of his weight class. Lutter got beat on the ground by silva, he was supposed to dominate silva on the ground, come on Dana the fans deserve better than that.
Hurricane_Brad
9/28/07 11:34:44PM

Posted by TNunley
That to me is a whole different deal. Who in the HW division was there to piss and moan about a missed opportunity? The LHW division is stacked, and until Wandy proves something here, he doesn't deserve an immediate title shot. Page is the only fighter to have done anything decent when coming from Pride, so what makes Wandy so different? Because he fought and lost against Tito in the UFC 7 years ago?

Rampage didn't exactly "climb the ranks" either, he was fed Marvin ******* Eastman for his first and only fight before he challenged for the belt. Now I'm not saying that Silva should get a title shot without winning at least one fight against good competition, but it certainly wouldn't be worse than a lot of other title fights that have happened in the past. I was simply making a point that the TS shouldn't bitch about the possibility of Wandy getting a title shot after 1 fight when Randy did the exact same thing for Liddell - Couture 3, and actually fought for the HW belt while coming off a loss. While the HW division wasn't as full of talent then as it is now, there were still some guys who were more worthy of a shot at the time (Vera, for example).
muaythai4life
9/30/07 1:03:03PM
They gave Jeremy Horn a title shot at Chuck just because he beat Chuck in the past. And they gave Royce Gracie a shot at Matt Hughes (he declined to make it a title shot because he didn't want to have to cut weight). They gave Sherk a shot at the LW title after suffering two losses in the WW division to come back and outpoint Nick Diaz.

Thing about the LHW division is everyone is coming off a loss that they shouldn't have. Henderson is the only one to suffer a loss to an opponent that is in his caliber. Jardine, Chuck, Forrest, and Shogun are all coming off of losses they shouldn't have seen. I think Machida deserves the title shot for staying undefeated, but it'll be one borring ass fight.

But as far as Jardine and Forrest goes, Jardine's only had 1 win since his KO loss and Forrest has had 2. Not sure that makes any difference but there ya have it.
Ultimate_fighter
10/1/07 12:46:52AM

Posted by loonytnt

forrest won he gets it

YA!
Think forrest is fighting wandy tho... and liddell is fighting shogun..
TMIL316
10/1/07 12:58:28AM
i say do what they did to rampage let him warm up then jump in with the champ if he wins but pride guys are botchin alot of fight shogun with is dissapointing fight with forrest not hattin of forrest but its ****** shogun and hendo just jumped in and get raped and cro cop is just garbage to me now he let me down big time hopefully nog will bring back my faith in the pride fighters along with machida
CornishMMA
10/1/07 5:47:39AM
I think the HW division is pretty messed up - who do you give a title shot to there?

Im guessing it will be the winner of Kongo/Big Nog but they fight at Xmas so there wont be another HW title fight until March/April, the LHW could go the same way

What the hell is going to be the title fight for the usual BIG superbowl event early Feb????????????????????
Pages: 1 [2]