Title shots WTF

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Title shots WTF
Next Page »
backalley101
9/24/07 3:18:07PM
I would like to know why everybody wants to give Wanderlei a title shot right off the bat. I think that is bull shit. Let him fight a few other people, and WIN, before he gets a title shot. Just like everybody else. This is the UFC, not PRIDE. What is up with Matt Hughes getting a title shot after just one fight with Chris? To me, there is too much favoritism. he gets a shot at the title after one win. But, look at Rich Franklin. He fought two tough ass people. And, Matt Hughes is sitting on his ass doing a show, so he gets the title shot? Matt Hughes must be Dana White's little pet. That is the way that I look at it.
TNunley
9/24/07 3:22:38PM
Marketability man. Dana probably thinks Hughes will destroy Serra leaving a GSP/Hughes rubber match. Lots'o ticket and ppv sales.
loonytnt
9/24/07 3:35:50PM
forrest won he gets it
Djbb
9/24/07 3:36:53PM

Posted by backalley101

I would like to know why everybody wants to give Wanderlei a title shot right off the bat. I think that is bull shit. Let him fight a few other people, and WIN, before he gets a title shot. Just like everybody else.

See thats bullshit because Rampage got a title shot at Liddell after winning ONE FIGHT against Marvin Eastman. Marvin f**king Eastman, the guy has a record of 14W-7L. So I feel Wanderlei deserves a title shot because he has beaten Rampage before, Rampage has never avenged that loss, and Wanderlei should NOT have to jump through f**king hoops to get his title shot when Rampage came into the UFC. And no, I'm not fighter bashing.
TNunley
9/24/07 3:39:38PM

Posted by Djbb

Posted by backalley101

I would like to know why everybody wants to give Wanderlei a title shot right off the bat. I think that is bull shit. Let him fight a few other people, and WIN, before he gets a title shot. Just like everybody else.

See thats bullshit because Rampage got a title shot at Liddell after winning ONE FIGHT against Marvin Eastman. Marvin f**king Eastman, the guy has a record of 14W-7L. So I feel Wanderlei deserves a title shot because he has beaten Rampage before, Rampage has never avenged that loss, and Wanderlei should NOT have to jump through f**king hoops to get his title shot when Rampage came into the UFC. And no, I'm not fighter bashing.

Jackson got a title shot IMO because they could use the angle that Liddell has been on a win streak, and they had been doing the whole "avenge a loss" thing for Chuck's losses.
Djbb
9/24/07 3:50:23PM

Posted by TNunley

Jackson got a title shot IMO because they could use the angle that Liddell has been on a win streak, and they had been doing the whole "avenge a loss" thing for Chuck's losses.

Nobody can deny Rampage got special treatment coming in to UFC. Rampage beat Chuck at that UFC vs Pride thing, beat 1 person in UFC and got a title shot. Wandy beat Rampage in Pride and Rampage has not avenged that loss. So Wandy should only have to beat 1 mediocre fighter to get his title shot the same way Rampage did.
TNunley
9/24/07 3:52:22PM
I dunno man, coming off 2 losses?
Djbb
9/24/07 3:54:56PM

Posted by TNunley

Hey, I wouldn't be ashamed of comin' off 2 losses to Henderson and CroCop. And yeah, before Rampage got his title shot he had 4 wins. 2 in Pride, 1 in WFA and 1 in UFC. But look at who he fought. You can't even get full profiles for the guys he fought because they were NOBODIES. So if you wanna say Wanderlei should have to fight mid/top level competitors before he gets his shot, thats BS because his 2 losses were to extremely competent fighters whereas Rampage has been mowing over crash-test dummies.
TNunley
9/24/07 3:58:33PM
I'm not meaning anything toward Wandy's ability. I'm just talking about credibility toward the UFC's ranking system. If they give a guy a title shot who came off 2 straight losses, and then beats a mediocre competitor then people might question (even more than they already do) how much favoritism plays into the fight picking. Not saying I think you're wrong, I would like to see Wandy and Page go at it, but I also feel for the guys in the stacked LHW division who have been having good performances and have earned that right. I agree Page probably shouldn't have gotten that title shot, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Djbb
9/24/07 4:02:05PM

Posted by TNunley
I agree Page probably shouldn't have gotten that title shot, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Never looked at it that way. Props bro
DevonFoxy
9/24/07 4:04:36PM

Posted by Djbb

Posted by TNunley

Hey, I wouldn't be ashamed of comin' off 2 losses to Henderson and CroCop. And yeah, before Rampage got his title shot he had 4 wins. 2 in Pride, 1 in WFA and 1 in UFC. But look at who he fought. You can't even get full profiles for the guys he fought because they were NOBODIES. So if you wanna say Wanderlei should have to fight mid/top level competitors before he gets his shot, thats BS because his 2 losses were to extremely competent fighters whereas Rampage has been mowing over crash-test dummies.

Even Rampage had to have a fight before he got the Champ so i dont understand why Wandi would go straight to a title fight. I think he needs at least one fight to get a shot. Its not fair to any of the fighters in the LHW division to be bi-passed so Wandi can have a shot straight off. With Wandi fighting in December and Jackson out for the rest of 07 with a wrist injury I think we can count out Wandi. I personally say Forrest is the best choice as of now because hes hit the ceiling of top LHWs and hes beaten that top guy and has now where to go except to the champ. I understand he has a loss to Jardine and a Loss to Ortiz but a win over Shogun is definitely the "short cut" to a title fight in my opinion.
warglory
9/24/07 4:04:51PM
Wandy should not get a title shot right off. With the way PRIDE has been faring thus far in the octagon, we need to have buffers to avoid shitty title matches. Rampage got a title shot because it was incredibly marketable, and also the competition in the LHW division at the time sucked ass. Liddell had beaten everyone worth fighting who had a contract at the time. Rampage came in because everyone knew it would be a good fight! Wandy on the other hand, while having great star power, is coming off two losses, so marketing him as the next great threat to many fans who have never seen him fight, will be more difficult. While I would love to see Wandy take on Rampage again (that would potentially be match of the year), I think someone like Forrest, Machida and maybe one or two others have been busting their asses to get to a spot where they may have a viable spot.

I am thinking that Forrest will get the next shot, simply because he beat supposedly the best, and he has immense drawing power. Besides, who wouldn't pay to see Rampage and Forrest talk shit about each other? That would be ******* hilarious!
Djbb
9/24/07 4:09:12PM
I see alot of where you guys are coming from. I suppose I'm just pissed off that Rampage was handed a title shot after beating 1 mediocre fighter because it was 'marketable'. But like TNunley said, 2 wrongs don't make a right so we'll see how things play out.
ncordless
9/24/07 4:11:47PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by Djbb

Posted by backalley101

So what's the difference between that and Jackson being on a winning streak and avenging his losses to Wandy?

As far as the two losses, I have made the point before that one of those losses was not in the Light heavy division. We don't really hold Sherks losses in WW against his ranking at LW, and neither do we hold BJ's losses at WW to his LW cred.

If they do not have Wand get the immediate title shot thanks to his resume and wins over the champ, which has been justification for tons of title fights in the past. Then what they need to do is have a Wandy/Griffin bout to see who Rampage fights next. It can also be marketable for the Wandy getting revenge for Shogun factor.
Blizzard
9/24/07 4:12:21PM
I agree that Wandy needs a few fights before getting a title shot, but then again, I would like to see Page get some revenge. Yes, I think Rampage can beat Wandy in the cage.
MALICE
9/24/07 4:18:56PM
Griffin and Jardine just beat two of the best fighters out there(on paper). Noone else has made as big a statement as those two fighters just made. It would only make sense for one of them to get a title shot. But, life isnt always fair.
grappler0000
9/24/07 4:19:52PM
The only Pride fighters that get immediate title bouts are for unification purposes. Wandy gets one warm up match just like Rampage did. I don't understand the confusion.
Djbb
9/24/07 4:21:58PM

Posted by grappler0000

The only Pride fighters that get immediate title bouts are for unification purposes. Wandy gets one warm up match just like Rampage did. I don't understand the confusion.

The confusion comes from Rampage getting 1 warm up match and then a title shot, and then alot of people saying Wandy needs to win 3 or 4 matches before he gets his.
brooklynbadass
9/24/07 4:31:14PM

Posted by loonytnt

forrest won he gets it

Give wanderlei a lower level fighter and then send him after Rampage if he wins. I think that is a fair system. Hendo got the immediate title shot cuz he was holding the pride belt already, which I also think is fair.
MALICE
9/24/07 4:32:25PM
It'll be nice when the belts are unified. Which may be soon if Fedor and Gomi never sign.
brooklynbadass
9/24/07 4:32:44PM

Posted by Djbb

Posted by TNunley

but if Silva ends up beating Rampage, does it really matter how he got to the fight?
MALICE
9/24/07 4:34:30PM
No but, if he gets destroyed in the 1st rd. Then s**t will really hit the fan.
loonytnt
9/24/07 5:00:02PM
Rampage got the fight because at that time there was no1 to fight chuck..Rampage didnt even want to fight for the belt but dana said yes you are, people that think rampage fighting for the belt was not right imo you are wrong..if there is no one to fight the champ and here is this guy that has beat him already and he comes into the picture, i think it was ok, now if shogun beat forrest he would be fighting rampage for the belt, so i think forrest should get the same thing, forrest is next
StriderXero
9/24/07 5:48:03PM

I agree
What happenned to Rampage is what sort of happenned to Penn when he took on Hughes for the first time. Those champs had whooped almost everyone in their division. Reason Rampage go his fight was because he had already beat the champ before and the champ had no one else to fight. In Penn's case, it was that Penn was Ranked #2 P4P fighter in UFC or in the world ( i don't remember) whiles Hughes was at #1.

Basically both of those fights were for publicity
jocksmall
9/24/07 6:17:50PM
give wandy forrest
adamal
9/24/07 6:21:18PM
I know the conversation hasn't swayed this way but...
Hughes has held that belt twice and Serra has been talking trash about him. It is perfect to do this show and give hughes the title shot. GSP is getting a title shot after only one win but no one is complaining about that. Serra got a title shot for winning the show which is impressive but to say the show is sitting on his ass is bogus especially since it was the vehicle for the "oh so deserving" current WW champ.
I agree it should take two wins to get back into the title picture after loosing it but i'd rather see hughes/serra continue their fued on the show then have a grudge match than some guy who half deserves a shot get one just because we are applying a formula.
postman
9/24/07 7:56:18PM
I say Dec 29 Wandy v Henderson for #1 contender. It would be the rubber match for Wandy and Dan also that Henderson Rampage fight was so close there is no reason Dan shouldn't get one win and another shot. Wandy would then be backed by beating Dan and the 2 win aginst Page so it is legit. Other then those 2 no one else is deserving of a shot and Rampage isn't going to fight till his hand is ok in 08.
SpiderSilva
9/24/07 10:48:54PM
Hey heres one why isnt Sylvia getting his rematch thats a good one all these new pride guys are coming and are getting shots but no rematch for Sylvia ???? I know most people dont like him but they do when hes KOing people
Hurricane_Brad
9/25/07 10:12:28AM

Posted by backalley101

I would like to know why everybody wants to give Wanderlei a title shot right off the bat. I think that is bull shit. Let him fight a few other people, and WIN, before he gets a title shot. Just like everybody else. This is the UFC, not PRIDE. What is up with Matt Hughes getting a title shot after just one fight with Chris? To me, there is too much favoritism. he gets a shot at the title after one win. But, look at Rich Franklin. He fought two tough ass people. And, Matt Hughes is sitting on his ass doing a show, so he gets the title shot? Matt Hughes must be Dana White's little pet. That is the way that I look at it.

Does Wanderlei deserve a title shot less than, say, Randy Couture did? As I recall, he was coming off of a KO loss when he fought for the HW title, and he only fought once between losing the LHW belt to Liddell and challenging for it again. Kind of hypocritical to rag on other fighters for getting another shot after 1 fight and ignore the same treatment given to the man in your av.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Wanderlei should fight (and win) against one decent opponent before he gets a shot at UFC gold. One win seems to be the standard for most former champions to get a shot again, so I think that's fair.
jmoooooo
9/25/07 3:13:21PM
an automatic title shot for silva makes good business sense.

If he fights rampage without any warmup fights, then there is no chance of him being exposed like other pride fighters. it would sell tickets, ppv buys, etc.

if silva has 2 or 3 warm up fights, theres the risk he loses to "lesser" competition, like shogun, or crocop. cro cop CANT get a title shot now, so the UFC paid big big money to bring in a guy who has looked like crap, has a 1-2 record in the UFC, and at this point will never bring the return on the investment that was originally hoped for.

If silva did the same thing, after signing a fat contract, lost to say griffin, then jardine, he wouldnt get a title shot, would drop in the rankings, and would be hard to market. I think Dana is trying to recoup his investment on the back of silvas fame instead of building him up in the UFC first.

good business sense.

Pages: [1] 2