Title shots rant...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Title shots rant...
Evilwig
5/13/08 2:20:16PM
Here's something I don't get: Why is there tons of post about who deserves a title shot and why....

I don't get it, I really don't give a flying s&*t about who deserve a title shot, in fact title shot hold no excitement for me. What I want to see is entertaining fight, I don't care if it's for the world title of some organization or the world best dad...

People are arguing about Forest or Mir not deserving it bla bla bla bla.... Forest is an entertaining fighter and with Rampage is could be war... Is a match really more exciting if it's a title match? I mean Ken Shamrock vs Tank Abbot wouldn't be a better fight even if it was for the World Backyard MMA championship...

When I watch the UFC I want to see good fight no matter if it's a title match or not. I mean Tim Sylvia matches aren't more interesting when it's a title match...

What is a world title anyway when there is about 20 different organizations in the same country with each their own world champion....

To me, belts are a motivation for the fighters, for me, as a fan it's just a glittering gimmick to try to sell more ticket.

Anybody else think like me or am I just a crazy?
TWITA
5/13/08 3:17:40PM
I think you're crazy - just kidding. I agree with you. I want to see a good fight - period - and I don't care if it's for a belt or not. To be honest, some of the best fights recently have been undercards.
Mchubb316
5/13/08 4:08:19PM
Your not crazy. I agree with you. Title shot or no title shot, I just want to see two guys put on a good fight. Hansen vs Alvarez was a perfect example of this. Every fight should be just as important as a title shot. If you don't win, in most cases you get no title shot.
bullettdodger
5/13/08 4:09:20PM
i agree as well, EXCEPT for the fact that belt fights are 5 rounds and when it is a REALLY close or good fight, 3 rounds just isn't enough
seanfu
5/13/08 4:13:20PM
But you know Jon Fitch definantly deserves a title shot lol.

I do disagree though even though I was being a smartass. I's rather see talent over just excitement. I could go watch Kimbo vs Colossis, ORRR Sherk vs Penn.
Evilwig
5/13/08 4:22:04PM

Posted by seanfu

I do disagree though even though I was being a smartass. I's rather see talent over just excitement. I could go watch Kimbo vs Colossis or Sherk vs Penn.

I don't get why is talent and Kimbo are in the same sentence?
ChokeUout
5/13/08 7:08:54PM

Posted by Evilwig

To me, belts are a motivation for the fighters, for me, as a fan it's just a glittering gimmick to try to sell more ticket.

Anybody else think like me or am I just a crazy?

That's the key tho, Motivation. If a title is on the line, you know the fighters are gonna completely empty the gas tank and pull out all the stops, which makes for a great fight.

But no, your not crazy. I'd say many of the best fights ever were non-title fights. But the title is definetly an extra incentive that could add alot of spark to a fight.
nickcuc547
5/13/08 7:13:50PM
i agree, but title shots are the ultimate reward for a fighter and fighters definately deserve their due. titles make the sport more exciting.
Evilwig
5/13/08 7:25:08PM
Yeah title is a motivation but I like also a motivation factor like 10G for finishing the fight on TUF. They should have the same on a PPV card. Finish the fight get a cash bonus. It would discourage the lay and pray technique and cold hard cash is more motivating than a belt. In my opinion.
JimiMak
5/13/08 8:25:24PM
I agree. We're in the minority. That's why I liked the PRIDE's before they crowned champs, all they cared about was good matches. However as we do have titles the shots need to be earned according to past merit. Anyone at the top "should" actually put on an entertaining fight.... so......
murphy_16
5/13/08 9:21:45PM

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by seanfu

I do disagree though even though I was being a smartass. I's rather see talent over just excitement. I could go watch Kimbo vs Colossis or Sherk vs Penn.

I don't get why is talent and Kimbo are in the same sentence?

wait wow is he trying to say kimbo has talent or Penn and Sherk have talent