Who is next for Title Shots in each division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who is next for Title Shots in each division?
pinoymixplaya
4/12/09 4:01:11PM
In your opinion who do you think?

LW: Obviously Kenny Florian but who after? I am thinking that Sean Sherk, Joe Lauzon, and Gray Maynard are Top Three after Kenny.

WW: And after Thiago Alves I believe Mike Swick and Martin Kampmann are next in line.

MW: I def believe Okami is past due depending on if he gets by Dan Miller and if he actually impresses the UFC with a definitive win or he may get pushed back if Bisping/Henderson winner shows an impressive victory

LHW: Following Machida should be Rampage, Forrest if he gets by Thiago Silva, and maybe Luiz Cane may bump himself higher in the deep division.

HW: Honestly, I don't really see who would be immediately next for the Lesnar/Mir winner until guys like Couture, Big Nog, Kongo, Carwin, and Velasquez get more wins under their belts.

IriShame
4/12/09 4:21:32PM

LW: After Florian, I'd like to see Sanchez and provided he gets a win between now and then it probably will be.

WW: After Thiago it should be Swick

MW: After Leites it will probably be the Bisping/Hendo winner but I think they should give Okami the shot just so we can stop hearing about it.

LHW: After Machida, guaranteed Rampage

HW: Winner of Mir/Lesnar will probably fight Kongo even though that's super lame. I'd rather see Carwin or the winner of Couture/Big Nog, provided it's not the same matchups as the first round of the unofficial heavyweight tournament.
sclasclemski
4/12/09 4:26:00PM
LW--If Sherk wins against Fisher he will be the number 1 I think
WW--if Fitch beats Paulo Thiago I think he should get a rematch...expecially considering GSP couldn't put him away in the last fight
MW--Okami should get it...(but wont)...winner of bisping henderson gets a shot but might not be the one right after leites...maybe maia though I think he needs one more win
LHW---Rampage obviously after Machida...then I think if chuck wins convincingly then he fights winner of forrest/thiago silva winner is number one contender
HW--F'it if Cain gets by Herring he should get a title shot (it was enough for Brock) This division still needs some bolstering...Shane I think is a fight away (maybe Kongo Carwin fight...winner gets the shot)
mkiv9secsupra
4/12/09 5:03:43PM
HW - After Mir I think it will be Carwin, then possibly Kongo...... What ever happened to Nog and Couture?! We havent heard a thing about either in a while

LHW - After Rampage, either Forrest or Chuck....whoever wins 2 fights first.

MW - Hendo after he KOs Bisping, then Marquardt after one more win, then MAYBE Okami but Maia will probably get it before him.

WW - Fitch then Kampmann, assuming he wins one more good matchup

LW - Sanchez, Sherk, and then Guida, if he can get two more quality wins
prozacnation1978
4/12/09 6:59:32PM
for light
i say sanchez or sherk

for welter
swick is way past due or i would say marcus davis if he beats hardy

for middle
okaim if he wins
if he loses give it to maia fight in aug portland

for light heavy
rampage
cane is up there so is alot of guys
no clear cut contender besides page

heavy

i would say carwin next
winner of big nog/couture should not get a shot

if you look at each division there is no legitimate number one contender besides page and okami

i do think if evans loses page might wanna fight evans beofre another title shot
sparky
4/12/09 7:57:33PM
Light: Im going with Sanchez if he gets by Guida or Sherk cant deny that guy his shot at the belt again he steam rolls his opponents.

Welter: Probably have to go with Fitch providing he doesnt lose to Paulo. I also think Swick should be getting close to his crack at glory.

Middle: Demian Maia is my pick all the way. He's undefeated and hasnt seen the judges score cards once in his UFC career.

Light Heavy: It has to be Rampage. No one else is worthy of title shot right now other then him.

Heavy: I like Carwin for the next heavy weight contender personally. He is another undefeated fighter who hasnt seen the distance in any of his UFC bouts.
PABLOMAFIOSO
4/12/09 8:36:32PM
HW: Kongo deserves it if he can get past Hardonk
LHW: RAMPAGE!!!
MW: Okami has been mugged so winner of Hendo/Bisping
WW: Swick after a well ranked contender (not glass jaw Goulet)
LW: Sherk vs. Sanchez for #1 contender
KaibaThedon
4/12/09 8:39:11PM
LW: Sherk if he can beat Frankie E, otherwise Diego if he can beat Guida? Gray Maynard probably needs a top ten opponent too before he is considered... Frankie Edgar if he somehow beats Sherk

WW: Kampmann after one more fight or Jon Fitch if he can beat Thiago? I don't know if Swick is up there yet, but if he handles Ben Saunders then give him a top 10 who isn't part of AKA (or is, dont care)

MW: Yushin Okami

LHW: Rampge, Forrest if he can beat Thiago Silva

HW: Kongo if he wins his next match and then Carwin after that...
Gipper
4/12/09 10:12:14PM
hw- winner of couture-nog
lhw- after rampage shogun, griffin, cane and even liddell could be in the mix
mw- maia, winner of hendo-bisping, marqaurdt
ww- kampmann
lw- after florian it has to be sanchez as long as he keeps winning
State_Champ
4/12/09 11:22:54PM
IMO: None of the title really have clear challengers besides LW.
I don't know if these ideas are plausible but.......

HW: Couture and Nog winner needs to win one more fight before they get a shot. (maybe fight the loser of Mir/Lesnar) So I say maybe give Kongo a fight with Carwin and then make the winner of that a challenger?

LHW: Rampage is definitely next in line.

MW: Okami...but he won't get the shot. So Nate Marquardt fights Demian Maia to decide who gets to fight Anderson Silva?

WW: Maybe Fitch? Then Kampmann if he keeps winning?

LW: Florian. Then Sherk if he keeps winning.
Gray Maynard needs to fight some better competition then if he wins he deserves a shot probably.
ziegler3334
4/13/09 10:39:57AM
some of these devisions are tough to call. its interesting tho, that MW didn't have enough contenders not too long ago, and now they may have more deserving than any other division.

LW - after florian, if sherk beats edgar, it has to be sherk. he will have defeated griffin and edgar, 2 of the toughest in the division. also, it would be easy to market a penn/sherk or florian/sherk rematch. (i think he has a chance against either)

WW - after alves; i still think fitch will need another win after thiago if he beats him. gono and thiago cannot be considered ww contenders and i think you need to beat a real contender to get a shot. that being said, gsp/fitch 2 would/will be great someday. if swick gets by saunders, whos ever improving, the shot is his.

MW - after leites; tough call. i'd say maia because he's been so dominating. he's also beating big name guys and making it look easy. okami still is deserving, but until he does something noteworthy, he won't get a shot. also, marquardt is hanging around waiting for his next chance. after another fight and after maia maybe.

LHW - after machida; this ones clearly rampage. after him, forrest could get his name back up there, and darkhorse: if liddell beats rua, he'll get another big name guy (jardine? maybe franklin?) who he is supposed to beat. there is nothing the ufc would like more than liddell back in a title shot.

HW - this is maybe the toughest because idk if anyone deserves it yet. there are lots of people on the cusp of deserving it. i'm thinking that someone will prove themselves between now and after lesnar/mir2. if kongo finishes hardonk, it might be his. alot of people don't like that, but he might be the most deserving. the couture/nog winner will probably get some consideration too. carwin and cain v are just on the outside for now, but their shots will come in the near future.

one thing for sure, ufc 97 starts a run of great cards with lots of belts on the line. we will know a lot more about the beltholders and whos contending after 97,98,99,100.
DCRage
4/13/09 10:43:12AM
LW-if Sanchez beats Guida, all indications are he's next.

WW-who knows.

MW-Maia.

LHW-Rampage. That was decided on a while back. Liddell's still at least 3 wins away from getting back in the picture.

HW-Carwin, although Cain will be in the mix if he beats Herring (and I expect him to).
Khaos
4/13/09 2:45:33PM
LW: If Sherk and Sanchez win, maske them fight, winner of that gets shot.

WW: Fitch again or ?????

MW: Maia or Marquardt again.

LHW: After Page=?????

HW: Hardonk is he beats Kongo, but realistically Carwin.
TsekaPrivet
4/14/09 4:00:47AM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

In your opinion who do you think?

LW: Obviously Kenny Florian but who after? I am thinking that Sean Sherk, Joe Lauzon, and Gray Maynard are Top Three after Kenny.

WW: And after Thiago Alves I believe Mike Swick and Martin Kampmann are next in line.

MW: I def believe Okami is past due depending on if he gets by Dan Miller and if he actually impresses the UFC with a definitive win or he may get pushed back if Bisping/Henderson winner shows an impressive victory

LHW: Following Machida should be Rampage, Forrest if he gets by Thiago Silva, and maybe Luiz Cane may bump himself higher in the deep division.

HW: Honestly, I don't really see who would be immediately next for the Lesnar/Mir winner until guys like Couture, Big Nog, Kongo, Carwin, and Velasquez get more wins under their belts.

LW: Gray Maynard, the UFC matchmakers are probably straying away from giving Sean Sherk another title shot. And I think that's good because he needs time to improve and learn more about BJ Penn.

WW: Mike Swick, but I want to see Hughes beat Serra, then Karo Parisyan and then get a title shot after GSP defeats Thiago Alves and goes up to face Anderson Silva[hopefully]

MW: Demian Meia, it seems like Dana's too scared on letting Joe give Okami a title shot

LHW: Rampage, obviously. After him, I think Chuck can beat Shogun and the next opponent(either Jardine, Evans or Rampage[after both lose to Machida])

HW: Winner of Nogueira/Couture would be the most likely contender because of the money the match will generate.

Couture's a legend and Nogueira became a big name in the US thanks to TUF, he also appeals to hardcore fans.
NatedawgThaM
4/14/09 4:34:37AM
LW: Sanchez if he beats Guida, Sherk & Maynard are getting up there too.

WW: Swick & Kampman should fight each other for the shot but honestly I don't think anybody has done anything spectacular to earn one.
(No not Fitch rematch yet! He needs to have a few more fights to put confidence in himself and in Dana's mind that maybe a rematch could be different like fighting Karo.)

MW: Bisping/Hendo winner or Okami. Maia needs to fight an actual top MW in the UFC not B level guys. But Okami's run through everybody except Rich, and the winner of Hendo/Bisping deserves one too since they've both been on mean streaks, but like Maia, Bispings done against against B level guys but if he could pull off a huge miracle he definitely deserves a shot.

LHW: RAMPAGE! Beating both Wandy & Jardine, definitely has him at the door step for a title shot.

HW: Carwin even though he's definitely not ready IMHO but he's done the most. Kongo if he beats Hardonk too has been on a mean streak.
EvenFlow
4/14/09 8:35:09AM
(LW) BJ > Florian, then Sherk, then Diego, then Maynard.
(WW) GSP < Alves, then Fitch 2, then Kampmann or Swick.
(MW) Anderson > Leites, then Okami, then Henderson, then Maia.
(LH) Rashad < Machida, then Rampage, then Forrest Shogun or Cane.
(HW) Lesnar > Mir, then it's either Fedor, Randy, Nog, Carwin, Cain, Dos Santos or Kongo.
haggiswashere
4/14/09 9:22:23PM
HW- Mir then Carwin
LHW- Machida then Rampage then it depends on the next fights
MW- Leites, then Henderson, Maia
WW- Alves, then Kampmann
LW- Florian then Sanchez