WW title shots / contenders timings all sorted

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » WW title shots / contenders timings all sorted
POLL: Does that sound like a good plan?
Yes perfect, Dana + Joe Silva take note 89% (24)
No I have a better idea and will post it 11% (3)
CornishMMA
11/29/07 6:16:15AM
So its pretty clear this is how it should go down -

Winner of GSP Hughes to fight Serra in Unification Bout ASAP, Serra doesnt seem to be too badly hurt so should be able to fight around April so maybe at UFC 83

Fitch is rumored for UFC 82 and its almost 100% certain his opponent will be Karo in a #1 contender fight, thats near perfect timing as the winner can then fight the winner of the Unifcation bout around August time
mk1630
11/29/07 3:45:52PM
That works out perfect. Cant wait to see both those fights!
cowcatcher
11/29/07 3:51:29PM
that sounds about right to me providing that serra is healed up by then.
DJDark41
11/29/07 3:56:51PM

Posted by cowcatcher

that sounds about right to me providing that serra is healed up by then.

Indeed. Amazing how much the welterweight division is dependent on Matt Serra having a speedy recovery. But with the previous fights listed, no matter what fights happen with those guys, we are in for an exciting few months in the welterweight division.
nickcuc547
11/29/07 5:25:59PM
that is a pefect situation because all of the guys mentioned are the only ones that deserve a shot at this time. there are plenty of other contenders in the division but hughes, gsp, serra, fitch and karo are the top 5 in the mix at this time. kos, diego (if he doesnt go down which i think he should because he would be a force at lw), burkman and swick could all be in the mix by the middle of next year though
pv3Hpv3p
11/29/07 5:29:14PM
That sounds perfect... A little too perfect!

I can't believe the way that they've jerked us around with the welterweight division... And the UFC's truly lucky that they can put this caliber of a fight together on such short notice...

Imagine if it woulda been Hughes vs a ham sandwich for the interim title... I'm sure they coulda talked it up, but c'mon how fortunate are they really to have GSP waiting in the wings and able to take this fight?
Lay_N_Pray
11/29/07 5:30:39PM
I like it, thats probably how it will go down to...and I would expect to continue to see more people work there way into the title picture as there are plenty of talented WW in the UFC
CornishMMA
12/5/07 6:31:09AM
OK so who are the 2 jokers who think they have a better plan?

Yeah and now im pretty much 99% sure Serra will be fit to fight around April time, he said he hopes to resume light training in a few weeks so it wasnt as bad an injury as it could have been

Of course we recently had Karo's comments where HE thinks he already has a title shot if he waits and doesnt fight until about August = bullshitt imo! Karo isnt above Fitch ffs! If anyone deserves a shot guarnteed now its him - he beat Diego and Karo lost to Diego!
Styles
12/7/07 2:17:38PM
This whole GSP, Hughes, Serra triangle doesn't even really matter. Fitch will come through and clean all of them out. I am thinking Fitch and Karo will fight, Fitch wins, then he gets a title shot aorund August and sit there for a good bit.

Hughes is about done, Serra would get beat by GSP and Fitch, and Swick should easily take Burkman out (nothing against Burkman). The four main names by the end of 08 in the WW division will most likely be Swick, KOS, GSP, and Fitch, and I really feel that Fitch would get the better of GSP 4/5 times.

Karo is good, but I dont feel that he is good enough to get a title shot. I would really like to see Karo and KOS fight or KOS and Swick fight to see where they stand at.

Deigo is a toss up right now. If he is fully focused on the fight, then he could be a force. Losing to both KOS and Fitch doesn't really mean much as I think both of those guys are in the top 5 WW in the world.
Kastro
12/7/07 8:47:21PM

Posted by Styles

This whole GSP, Hughes, Serra triangle doesn't even really matter. Fitch will come through and clean all of them out. I am thinking Fitch and Karo will fight, Fitch wins, then he gets a title shot aorund August and sit there for a good bit.

Hughes is about done, Serra would get beat by GSP and Fitch, and Swick should easily take Burkman out (nothing against Burkman). The four main names by the end of 08 in the WW division will most likely be Swick, KOS, GSP, and Fitch, and I really feel that Fitch would get the better of GSP 4/5 times.

Karo is good, but I dont feel that he is good enough to get a title shot. I would really like to see Karo and KOS fight or KOS and Swick fight to see where they stand at.

Deigo is a toss up right now. If he is fully focused on the fight, then he could be a force. Losing to both KOS and Fitch doesn't really mean much as I think both of those guys are in the top 5 WW in the world.

Fitch hasn't really been tested against Hughes, Serra, or GSP.. his toughest fight yet was Sanchez who was also defeated by Koscheck..

Fitch is definitely a threat in the WW division, but I think its a little too early to assume he will beat the great GSP.
Tombsuprat
12/8/07 7:08:08AM
Only problem is that FItch is gonna be fighting Gono, not Karo, at UFC 82
texuspete00
12/8/07 9:59:23AM
GSP is going to opens cans of whoop ass on all of them, save Karo because he will lose to fitch and GSP already whooped him. So line them up. Hughes, Serra, then Fitch.

But isn't Fitch Jackson's camp? Kind of hurt the plan because I think GSP will beat Hughes and revenge Serra and be alone at the top.
CornishMMA
12/8/07 4:19:55PM

Posted by Styles

LOL im always suspicious of comments like this cos they sound so full on that its either bandwagon jumping or crazyfanitis

Sorry bud i checked your picks and you picked Diego to beat Fitch by decision

However you could be right, its not cut and shut like you say but yes Fitch is a beast ( na na i knew this before you ) and would be a serious test for GSP imho

Posted by Tombsuprat

Only problem is that FItch is gonna be fighting Gono, not Karo, at UFC 82

Mate thats not set in stone, its called an early rumor
thisbeme
12/8/07 4:49:52PM
looks good to me.... I think Serra will lose either way...
jgtribbett
12/8/07 11:36:45PM
hughes vs gsp
karo vs kos

matt serra vs interim champ
fitch vs looser of gsp hughes

then winner of that fight for the title