Who gets next title shot at Welterweight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who gets next title shot at Welterweight?
Next Page »
pinoymixplaya
10/8/08 1:19:02PM
Other than BJ Penn, who should fight GSP next for a title shot? I am definitely thinking that Thiago Alves gets next shot, and you heard it here from me that I think Alves can take out GSP.

What do you think?
gsquat
10/8/08 1:25:58PM
Definitely the winner of Sanchez/Alves... I have Diego.

Thats wishful thinking on Alves. Striking is his best suit and GSP is a better striker. GSP will not get caught in the clinch with Alves. He'll either stand and trade at a respectable distance, or take him down and submit him quick like. I suspect the latter.
Chuteboxer
10/8/08 1:29:42PM
I'd agree with Thiago/Sanchez...to a degree, that is.

If Thiago wins no doubt about it he'll get a title shot. But if Sanchez wins, my gut tells me that he'll just be given another opponent. Of course, that's my gut telling me that, and I could be wrong. But I have the feeling that's how it'll roll.
DoTheMMAth
10/8/08 1:34:40PM

Posted by gsquat

Word, I have Diego as well.

I've always wanted to see a Sanchez vs GSP fight. We already know that GSP can strike and wrestle as well as, or better, than just about anyone in the WW division, however I'd like to see what he does to deal with the frantic pace and endless energy of an in-shape crazy Jesus'd-up Diego - especially if he continues to add muscle like he has been and reduces the size advantage of GSP.
Amigop
10/8/08 1:54:33PM
Im assuming the winner for, Sanchez vs. Alves gets the next title shot. IMO Diego's relenteless pace will be way to much for alves to handle, so diego will probably fight GSP. GSP is better at everything than diego, and GSP has been in 5 round wars with a steady pass. I think diego may try to push the action too hard and gass out in the 4th or 5th and then GSP will finish
Wallass
10/8/08 2:11:06PM
I understand that Penn gets a fight with GSP but why is it for the title? Hasn`t B.J. lost his last two fights in Welterweight? Yes I consider him one of the best and believe no one will be able to beat him at Lightweight but giving him a title shot when he hasnt earned it as a Welterweight seems kinda weird. I agree that if Alves wins he should get a shot but dont think Sanchez is worthy of it. Maybe if he beats Alves, he should face Koscheck and the winner of that gets a shot?
postman
10/8/08 2:16:12PM
I Agree Deigo/Alves winner. after that I don't know. But You have to remeber if BJ wins then you have the the Deigo/Alves winner then Prob a rematch with GSP or Kos or Fitch could sneek in.
pv3Hpv3p
10/8/08 2:23:36PM
Alves after he KO's Sanchez...

Don't think he can handle GSP's TD's / wrestling, but I also don't think there's anyone who can stand with him in the top teir of the Welterwieght class...

Thiago Alves is a Muay Thai Wrecking Machine, I can't say it any better myself
stock
10/8/08 2:41:40PM
I think the winner of Alves/Sanchez is a no brainer.

Unless (of course) if Alves cannot make weight again. Then I would look elsewhere.
Bowen50
10/8/08 2:52:00PM
i think if Thiago wins he'll get a title shot but if Diego wins he will end up having a rematch with Koscheck or fight the winner of Hazelett Vs. McCrory.
Naturaldisaster
10/8/08 3:27:34PM
I think the winner of sanchez/alves
WrestlersAssassin
10/8/08 4:17:28PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by gsquat

I've always wanted to see a Sanchez vs GSP fight. We already know that GSP can strike and wrestle as well as, or better, than just about anyone in the WW division, however I'd like to see what he does to deal with the frantic pace and endless energy of an in-shape crazy Jesus'd-up Diego - especially if he continues to add muscle like he has been and reduces the size advantage of GSP.

lol Diego gets a shot at the belt if he wins? lol Alves by KO and I would have him beating GSP as well but BJ will likely make history on the 31st and Alves probably cant hang with BJ's style.
Evilwig
10/8/08 4:30:25PM

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by gsquat

lol Diego gets a shot at the belt if he wins? lol Alves by KO and I would have him beating GSP as well but BJ will likely make history on the 31st and Alves probably cant hang with BJ's style.

That's a bold prediction, Penn didn't beat GSP the first time so I don't think he'll able to defeat an improve and more stable GSP, in their second fight...
gsquat
10/8/08 4:42:44PM

Posted by Evilwig
That's a bold prediction, Penn didn't beat GSP the first time so I don't think he'll able to defeat an improve and more stable GPS, in their second fight...

I'm going to assume you're not talking about a stable Global Position Device and that you meant GSP. I was all about Penn beating GSP in this rematch, but I just don't see it. BJ will have the fire and put up a good fight, but he'll lose another decision. I thought the first fight was really close, and BJ has gotten better since, BUT... GSP is still gonna outstrike and avoid the submission attempts.

Back to Alves/Sanchez.... Alves definitely gets a title shot if he wins and Diego is 50/50. They might give him a shot or make him rematch Kos. Either way, all said fighters will lose to GSP or BJ.
dannyfrank
10/8/08 4:54:03PM
a lot of people are saying that diego wont get the title shot if he wins, but i think that it's a pretty good possibility. seriously, can you imagine the publicity if two of the belt holders were TUF alum? i think it would at least make the show much more legit and bring in a larger crowd
billycarnage
10/8/08 5:05:05PM
According to Thiago the winner gets a Title Shot.

I got Diego on this one. He isn't as easy of a target as Hughes and Parysian. I am excited for this because I have been waiting for Diego to get his shot for a loooonng time. I think that Thiago will have his hands full.
Pitbull09
10/8/08 6:17:03PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

I'd agree with Thiago/Sanchez...to a degree, that is.

If Thiago wins no doubt about it he'll get a title shot. But if Sanchez wins, my gut tells me that he'll just be given another opponent. Of course, that's my gut telling me that, and I could be wrong. But I have the feeling that's how it'll roll.

Your gut tells you that cause Diego wouldnt deserve a title shot while Thiago already should have one if it wasnt for BJ Penn. Thiago will win though and get the title fight
Naturaldisaster
10/8/08 7:28:55PM
GSP and Penn are both 2 of my favorite fighters. But I agree that GSP won their 1st fight and I think he'll dominate their 2nd fight. Penn wont be able to hold GSP down. GSP is gonna have better stand up. I want GSP to win anyway because Penn doesnt deserve a WW title fight anyway. He's a lightweight. He's got fighters in the LW division that deserve a shot at him. GSP has fighters in the WW division that deserve a shot. This fight is dumb if you ask me. Im lookin forward to it but its dumb. With that being said I think it will end up being GSP vs Alves
prozacnation1978
10/8/08 7:34:21PM
has to be winner of alves vs diego match
thiago has already destroyed two top 10 welter weight fighters in the world
i think he will go for the hat trick knocking out diego and as well as being fighter of the year
RhythmAndStyle
10/9/08 10:23:15AM
they already said durnin the Sanchez/Alves hype that whoever wins..was gonna better postion themself for a shot at the belt..thats the same shit they said durnin the Cote/Almeida fight..my guess is Alves is gonna win via decision..this is gonna be a tough fight...
Franklinfan47
10/9/08 3:04:27PM
I'm thinking the winner of the Diego/Alves fight should get the next title shot. By rights, I think they should get the shot before Penn does, but thats a seperate issue.
JBatch
10/9/08 6:50:25PM
The winner of Sanchez vs. Alves against the winner of Koscheck vs. Yoshida should decide who gets the next title shot. Now that is a crazy little 4 man tournament.
WrestlersAssassin
10/10/08 1:16:45AM

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by gsquat

That's a bold prediction, Penn didn't beat GSP the first time so I don't think he'll able to defeat an improve and more stable GSP, in their second fight...

BJ is the one whos more stable, he wasnt even in the best shape, and GSP was getting owned on the feet and only won from cheap takedowns and doing nothing with it. I think Penn won that fight or at the least a draw. Why would you make a comment like that like I didnt watch the fight. lol a more stable GSP lol
WrestlersAssassin
10/10/08 1:19:18AM

Posted by JBatch

The winner of Sanchez vs. Alves against the winner of Koscheck vs. Yoshida should decide who gets the next title shot. Now that is a crazy little 4 man tournament.

whats wrong with some ppl? alves has to beat 3-4 top tens to get a title shot? karo, hughes, diego and another fight (likely koscheck)? yet randy and hughes get weak title shots after 1 or no prior wins? lol my god
sonicsmokesweed
10/10/08 1:24:33AM
Man Alves is gonna b the first guy to knock Diego Sanchez out. If Thiago Alves cant beat GSP then GSP will be Champion for a while. Because Alves has the skills to put GSP away but GSP always surprises us with his explosive take downs and his abilty to control anyone on the ground. Rember when Joe said he trained with Rashad and took him down at will and Rashad's like 205 so I dont know if Alves will be able to defend the takedown or get back to his feet if he gets tooken down. But he has the best chance of taking GSP out at this point.
mrkennedy
10/10/08 1:54:48AM
the winner of alves vs diego but diego dont deserve a title shot
JBatch
10/10/08 10:48:22AM

Posted by JBatch

whats wrong with some ppl? alves has to beat 3-4 top tens to get a title shot? karo, hughes, diego and another fight (likely koscheck)? yet randy and hughes get weak title shots after 1 or no prior wins? lol my god

Alves has failed to make weight for fights. So in actuality he wouldn't even have 1 or 2 of those wins if the other fighters didn't bail him out and let the fights happen anyways. Thiago Alves is a great fighter but I do not believe a guy who continually fails to makes weight and was suspended for using illegal substances deserves a title fight.

Randy and Hughes got almost immediate title shots because they have the respect of the UFC upper brass. Please never compare Randy a multiple time UFC champion and Matt Hughes a multi-year UFC champion to the likes of Thiago Alves.
DoTheMMAth
10/10/08 1:15:19PM

Hughes is arguably the most dominant champion in UFC history. I don't think there's a reason to argue against any title shots he's gotten in the past. Additionally, at the time, everyone was happy to see a GSP vs Hughes rubber match. It made good business sense, and made good common sense IMO.

Randy on the other hand... I'll agree with you on that one. I just don't understand how nearly every fight he's had has been for a title. Here's his last 11 fights, and I think only 1 of them WASN'T a title shot (I think). Hardly the barn-burner record that Matt Hughes strung together in recent times before his last title shot.

Win vs Gonzaga
Win vs Tim Sylvia
Loss vs Liddell
Win vs Mike Van Arsdale
Loss vs Liddell
Win vs Vitor
Loss vs Vitor (yes, Vitor didn't whoop him, but it's still a loss)
Win vs Tito
Win vs Liddell
Loss vs Ricco Rodriguez
Loss vs Josh Barnett
higdon10
10/11/08 5:24:40PM
I think that Josh Koscheck deserves the shot. He has been on a tear latley. Only recent loss is at the hands of GSP. If Kos beats Yoshida he is in my opinion far more deserving of a shot than Alves/Sanchez are.
GrizzlyChadams
10/11/08 8:19:28PM
The winner of Alves/Sanchez should fight Kos for a title shot.
Pages: [1] 2