LW Title fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » LW Title fight
mk1630
6/22/07 3:39:38PM
Does anybody know why Sherk got 9 months before his first title defense? Usually a champ defends his title every 5-6 months, why did Sherk get so much more time in between fights?
rcg916
6/22/07 3:42:00PM
I really think that they needed a little time to build up a contender, with so many new faces. His first LW fight, Florian, was a stretch to begin with. Just an opinion.
pv3Hpv3p
6/22/07 3:45:10PM
He had rotator cuff surgery after his fight with Florian, and has been rehabing since... Sorry, to lazy to find a source, but I'm 99.9% sure that's the case
rcg916
6/22/07 3:50:25PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

He had rotator cuff surgery after his fight with Florian, and has been rehabing since... Sorry, to lazy to find a source, but I'm 99.9% sure that's the case

I believe you!
pv3Hpv3p
6/22/07 3:54:57PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I believe you!

thanks... Either way here it is... It's about halfway down the page after the GSP part...

Looks like he injured it before the fight, and still went on to win... That's gotta be hard to do... I know when pro baseball pitchers tear their rotator cuffs, they're normally out for an entire year
rcg916
6/22/07 4:01:37PM
Sherk is just a bad man. I am still amazed that he gets down to 155. Must be all that wrestling, hes a pro at cutting. That guy probably hit close to 200 pounds during his time off. Hell, even while training he probably walks around at 180.
AmericanFighterAce
6/22/07 4:18:29PM

Posted by rcg916

Sherk is just a bad man. I am still amazed that he gets down to 155. Must be all that wrestling, hes a pro at cutting. That guy probably hit close to 200 pounds during his time off. Hell, even while training he probably walks around at 180.

You are not kidding at all, Sherk can walk around at 185 and drop 30 pounds within 1 month.
Sherk did have surgery and has been rehabbing and now he is 100% and also to find a real opponnent other than Kenflo.
Remember KenFlo, Sherk and Joe "Daddy" were the only real lightweights in the division at the time, now it is exloding.
iluvufc
6/22/07 4:24:13PM
Sherk might be the most underrated MMA figher out there.

31-2-1 is no joke.
2 loses to Hughes(decision) and GSP (KO). In not his real weight class.

He has beaten Karo (twice) and Gamburyan (My pick to be TUF5 winner).

Franca will be a tough fight, but when he beats him, I PRAY, that UFC gets Gomi over here and Sherk will RIP him a new one. Just take a look at what Diaz did to him.

KYGUY07
6/22/07 4:44:44PM
I think Sherk would run through Gomi, I also think hes gonna beat Franca. Alot of people think Francas gonna do well cuz sherk will take it to the ground and franca is a bjj black belt, but so was florian and look what happened to him.
Abbott
6/22/07 8:23:33PM
I think Franca is gonna take the belt via KO, crazy prediction I know, but I think its gonna be early and fast and sherk will get rocked,, Franca may jump on it and finish with submission...
fedorwins1
6/22/07 8:50:48PM
Sherk will hold the title for alittle bit.
DJDark41
6/22/07 9:10:10PM
He was injured and had surgery, and has been rehabing. They also needed time to properly set up a number one contenders match and to pick two guys to fight for the title shot.
mk1630
6/23/07 1:25:29AM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that was the only reason why he would get so much time off between fights.
BigTomZ
6/23/07 3:56:34PM
I think Sherk will hold that title for awhile. I think he will beat Franca. I can't think of anyone currently fighting at lightweight who will beat him. I could see Matt Serra moving back down to lightweight whenever he loses his belt and giving Sherk a tough fight.