Anyone else tired of seeing BJ Penn do useless stuff in training?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Anyone else tired of seeing BJ Penn do useless stuff in training?
jtwalker
7/21/09 12:34:29PM
From carrying a rock underwater to jumping out of three feet of water. You know thats all fine and dandy. Yeah you may have some explosiveness, but it doesn't seem to help you with GSP on top of you beating your face in. Anybody else tired of seeing this kind of "hey look what I'm doing " stuff from BJ.
KaibaThedon
7/21/09 12:41:26PM
I don't know, the jumping out of the pool made me wanna try it too...

except I needed to use a kiddy pool.

LAWL
SpiderSilva
7/21/09 12:42:52PM
Must work pretty good if he is the LW champ and been the WW champ and one of the top P4P guys oh and GSP does that to everyone nowadays
postman
7/21/09 12:48:50PM
I actually wanna try the underwater thing
ncordless
7/21/09 1:08:20PM
Carrying the rock underwater is good cross training. It not only builds core strength and provides resistance training, but it also is kind of like hypoxia training.

I don't know why BJ jumping out of a pool would piss people off. You don't think fighters should have free time during training? No fighter trains 24 hours a day, and if they did they wouldn't make it to the fight. I think that vid is actually encouraging for BJ. Look at all those great fighters hanging out there with him. You think they have been sitting at the pool all day?

joshryanshepherd
7/21/09 1:17:48PM
I Love seeing Penn slack, it just means hes not gonna be in top shape for his fight.

WAR Florian !
postman
7/21/09 2:04:36PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

I Love seeing Penn slack, it just means hes not gonna be in top shape for his fight.

WAR Florian !

Silly Quote of the Day! Lets see you jump out of 3 feet of water. Takes alot of TRAINING to be able to do that. A Slacker would not be able to do that.
emfleek
7/21/09 2:06:49PM

Posted by ncordless

Carrying the rock underwater is good cross training. It not only builds core strength and provides resistance training, but it also is kind of like hypoxia training.

I don't know why BJ jumping out of a pool would piss people off. You don't think fighters should have free time during training? No fighter trains 24 hours a day, and if they did they wouldn't make it to the fight. I think that vid is actually encouraging for BJ. Look at all those great fighters hanging out there with him. You think they have been sitting at the pool all day?

My thoughts exactly. I surely hope BJ doesn't make any public appearances while he's "supposed to be" training. I can only imagine the backlash he'd receive from fans.
postman
7/21/09 2:15:05PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by ncordless

My thoughts exactly. I surely hope BJ doesn't make any public appearances while he's "supposed to be" training. I can only imagine the backlash he'd receive from fans.

I have a friend who lives near BJ and he just sent me a email that he saw BJ running all morning on the beach then suddenly he stopped running and walked into the water chest deep hung out for a few min came ashore dried off then walked to a car! Can you believe the nerve of BJ Walking around and cooling off in the ocean then to top it off getting into a car? My friend is in persuite and will keep me informed if BJ doesn’t go directly to the gym.....I will keep you all posted a so stay tuned!
emfleek
7/21/09 2:30:24PM

Posted by postman

I have a friend who lives near BJ and he just sent me a email that he saw BJ running all morning on the beach then suddenly he stopped running and walked into the water chest deep hung out for a few min came ashore dried off then walked to a car! Can you believe the nerve of BJ Walking around and cooling off in the ocean then to top it off getting into a car? My friend is in persuite and will keep me informed if BJ doesn’t go directly to the gym.....I will keep you all posted a so stay tuned!

If he stops to get groceries at some point, he deserves to lose his title!!!

ncordless
7/21/09 3:20:48PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

If he stops to get groceries at some point, he deserves to lose his title!!!

I bet Florian hasn't stopped to eat in months.
Rush
7/21/09 3:53:08PM

Posted by ncordless

I wouldn't say it is pissing people off per se, but what bothers me is that it is being misrepresented. Let's put the (strong) possibility aside that it is a camera trick. The feat itself has very little stock for evaluating his physical abilities. What bothers me are the people writing about how this is "superhuman" and that he is the most amazing athlete ever. The yahoo (cagewriter) headline was making me sick to my stomach.

Knowing how BJ just craves attention, I wouldn't doubt this to be a trick.
Aaronno9
7/21/09 4:12:28PM
The fact that about 10 other dudes are in the yard, either in the hot tub or the pool chilling out, tells me that its not a training video at all, and its just a video of BJ in his spare time relaxing. Im pretty sure, even on his worst days, BJ doesnt consider jumping out of a pool to be a training exersise.
RNC
7/22/09 1:43:47PM

Posted by Aaronno9

The fact that about 10 other dudes are in the yard, either in the hot tub or the pool chilling out, tells me that its not a training video at all, and its just a video of BJ in his spare time relaxing. Im pretty sure, even on his worst days, BJ doesnt consider jumping out of a pool to be a training exersise.

Thank you. Damn, I was getting so sick of listening to people ranting and raving about this training method, yada yada yada. He wasn't training people, he was just fooling around. Relaxing at the pool and having a good time. I can guarentee you that BJ doesn't consider jumping out of 3 feet of water one time training. If the clip was of him doing it over and over again, then yes, maybe he was training. But in this case, he was just hanging out.
MMA_Alex
7/24/09 3:48:35PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by Aaronno9

Thank you. Damn, I was getting so sick of listening to people ranting and raving about this training method, yada yada yada. He wasn't training people, he was just fooling around. Relaxing at the pool and having a good time. I can guarentee you that BJ doesn't consider jumping out of 3 feet of water one time training. If the clip was of him doing it over and over again, then yes, maybe he was training. But in this case, he was just hanging out.

No one is saying he's actually training by jumping out of a pool. They are saying that has SHOWN that he has been training.
emfleek
7/24/09 3:51:44PM

Posted by MMA_Alex

No one is saying he's actually training by jumping out of a pool. They are saying that has SHOWN that he has been training.

Actually, the thread starter insinuated that he this was part of his training...

Anyone else tired of seeing BJ Penn do useless stuff in training?
fullfighting
7/24/09 5:57:09PM
BJ is solid. GSP is a bigger stronger fighter and he owned BJ that night. That loss doesn't make BJ any less of a champ-he was going up in weight and fighting a dominant champ. Whatever he does to train is cool with me. He's still close to the top as far as P4P goes.