Give me some tips on training anyone?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Give me some tips on training anyone?
Bowen50
6/25/07 1:11:50AM
I'm 16 years old and i have been thinking about starting to seriously train for MMA competiton. I have some background in jiu jitsu and i am starting tai kickboxing in the coming weeks. I work out 4 days a week. If anyone has any exercises they would like to share with me to help improve my power and cardio i'd be more then happy to hear them.
richieb19
6/25/07 1:16:30AM
Run, run, and then run some more. Don't concentrate on ascetic workouts, focus on building core strength and flexibility instead. Workouts like dead lifts, squats, bench press and olympic press are your friend, bicep curls can wait till the end of the workout if you have time. Find a good school to train, go as often as you can, and compete as much as you can, even if you lose.

ps. I take it you mean Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? How long have you been in, and what type of kickboxing are you joining?

EDIT: Doing interval sprints while running (or even on an elliptical machine) will vastly improve your cardio, however rolling often will build it up even more.
Bowen50
6/25/07 1:22:32AM
yeah i work BJJ every few weeks with my dads personal trainer. I'm joining a Muay Tai place. I already have a gym membership and the area i live in is great for running (lot of hills). I already have great strength i always do bench, squat, all the core exercises. I try and stay off the carbs as much as i can and eat a lot of protein. Any other cardio exercies or plyos you'd recomend?
richieb19
6/25/07 1:25:43AM
Like I said, for me I love the elliptical... I go on for an hour and change on the hill or interval option on a high level... I burn 1000 Calories and it gets my heart going... As far as running outside goes, I would just recommend that you do what I do, plan out a route to run, then every day run a little further, slowly but surely get yourself up there... and try to stay of hard surfaces if you're going to be running alot, save your knees...
Bowen50
6/25/07 1:27:26AM
alright thanks man you were a big help
Ultimate_fighter
6/25/07 1:27:37AM

Posted by richieb19

Run, run, and then run some more. Don't concentrate on ascetic workouts, focus on building core strength and flexibility instead. Workouts like dead lifts, squats, bench press and olympic press are your friend, bicep curls can wait till the end of the workout if you have time. Find a good school to train, go as often as you can, and compete as much as you can, even if you lose.

ps. I take it you mean Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? How long have you been in, and what type of kickboxing are you joining?

EDIT: Doing interval sprints while running (or even on an elliptical machine) will vastly improve your cardio, however rolling often will build it up even more.

Running is what u need... helped me big time... i dont get tired anymore... i have a track close to my place, run every day.. wanna run up mountains and shit but i like in sask, no such thing
postman
6/25/07 1:29:01AM
One thing that is really working for me one my core is to take one of those sit up balls and do as many push ups as I can. I don't count them out. I focuse on breathing and balance. I started using the wall to keep my balance. After about a week of that I could do it without. I'm now trying to do them with one leg on the ball and the other in the air. Give that a try. other then that like everyone is going to tell you run
Bowen50
6/25/07 1:32:26AM
yeah i definitly gotta run more but thanks for the adivce everyone
richieb19
6/25/07 1:33:48AM
Don't forget to run.
Bowen50
6/25/07 1:51:48AM
haha yes sir
richieb19
6/25/07 1:58:43AM

Posted by Bowen50

haha yes sir

In all seriousness though, keep us updated... and don't feel down if you lose, or lose track of your goal...
Rush
6/25/07 12:09:43PM

Posted by richieb19

Like I said, for me I love the elliptical... I go on for an hour and change on the hill or interval option on a high level... I burn 1000 Calories and it gets my heart going... As far as running outside goes, I would just recommend that you do what I do, plan out a route to run, then every day run a little further, slowly but surely get yourself up there... and try to stay of hard surfaces if you're going to be running alot, save your knees...

While I agree the elliptical is good for the knees, I don't think it is good for building cardio. I found that regular running was better for my cardio than the elliptical trainer. I found the elliptical trainer good for sweating (like a stationary bike) but not taxing enough to improve me cardio (even on the really high levels)But that's just me.
richieb19
6/25/07 12:13:19PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by richieb19

While I agree the elliptical is good for the knees, I don't think it is good for building cardio. I found that regular running was better for my cardio than the elliptical trainer. I found the elliptical trainer good for sweating (like a stationary bike) but not taxing enough to improve me cardio (even on the really high levels)But that's just me.

Yeah, like I said it's something I personally prefer, and more-so even to lose weight.
Bowen50
6/25/07 1:26:21PM
had a great workout today. ran a mile for a warm up, did bench (3 sets of 20), tris. Worked on my shoulders a little bit, got my abs in (5 sets of 50 crunches) and ended it with another mile.
johny_rotten
6/26/07 4:38:32PM
If you are 16 you should still be in high school. The best thing you can do is join the wrestling team. Grappling is the hardest and most time consuming thing to learn. If you have a free out let to learn it don't let it go to waste. Besides the grappling experience you will get you will also learn how to cut weight, and learn great excersizes from practice.