Anyone have any tips for a superintese cardio wokout short of using machines?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Anyone have any tips for a superintese cardio wokout short of using machines?
seanfu
6/7/08 6:48:31PM
I'm getting back into fight shape so I wanted to just throw this out there. I already do a bunsh of pretty intense stuff from wrestling and just stuff I thought would be pretty hellish but I'm getting bored with it.

I sprint a lot and with do changups between hard running and long endurence running.

I'm starting striking drills and am trying to find a little something to put those over the top other than the good old 3 5 minute rounds of nothing but striking.
Guru
6/7/08 7:01:05PM
Have you tried Plyometrics?
seanfu
6/7/08 7:32:17PM
Naw I haven't gone into it too much other than all the jumping exercises and some of the pushups.

Thanks for the reply though and even though it was a pretty basic idea I'm glad you mentioned it.
The-Don
6/7/08 7:55:04PM
Polymetrics is good.. but for overall cardio... Jumping rope is still probably best.. in an article in the current copy of FitnessRx.. they say jumpiing rope is the best overall for cardio... I am inclined to agree...

Though the thing with polymetrics it is designed more to develope explosive power.. not really cardio...
Omega
6/7/08 10:54:06PM
Medicine balls are your friends.
Guru
6/7/08 11:57:10PM
only other thing i can really think of is Swimming.

Your welcome BTW Glad to help
The-Don
6/8/08 11:24:53AM

Posted by Guru

only other thing i can really think of is Swimming.

Your welcome BTW Glad to help

Swimming is another great one..
Rush
6/8/08 11:32:22AM
Swimming
Interval running
Cross training - i.e. mixing running with other exercises (puchups, rope jumping, etc.)
Stair running
The-Don
6/8/08 11:57:40AM
I also just read recently in FitnessRx magazine that if you want more fat burning and cardio.. instead of say ruinning for an hour... Do 30 minutes rest for 20 then do another 30... It allows you to push harder and burn more fat and increase your cardio level..
The_Notorious_ZIG
6/10/08 2:30:28PM
Sprint intervals:
Sprint 50 yards, jog 50 yards, no stopping. Change up distances and times periodically.

Swimming / treading water:
Change up strokes, distances, times periods.

Weight Vest Training:
Sprint intervals, Burpees, shuttle and cone drills, stairs.
artofdefense
6/11/08 1:36:09PM

Posted by The_Notorious_ZIG

Sprint intervals:
Sprint 50 yards, jog 50 yards, no stopping. Change up distances and times periodically.

Swimming / treading water:
Change up strokes, distances, times periods.

Weight Vest Training:
Sprint intervals, Burpees, shuttle and cone drills, stairs.

Burpees with a weight vest as fast as you can for 5-10 mins at a time is an amazing workout. Should be a part of EVERYONE's cardio routine, even withou the vest.

Also Good: Mountain Climbers (ankle weights for more intensity),
Single Hand Replacements,
Your a wrestler, so just shoot across a set area- 50 ft or so is best, and sprawl when you reach the end, sprint back to the beginning, knocking out 10 burpees on each end.
fullerene
6/12/08 9:18:43AM
Last couple of posts are good. Some of the others sound like what the TS is already doing (running at different speeds and sprinting) and some sound anaerobic. I'm guessing the TS is in good shape already but, similar to a weight-lifting routine, you need to change up even good workouts from time to time or your body will get too comfortable with a routine.

Swimming is an easy solution if its accessible to you.

Doing 5, 3 minute rounds of "striking" doesn't sound like much/enough. I do 12 3 minute rounds with 30 second breaks a couple times a week, usually after lifting weights. That's not a Herculean task and a guy who is fight training should be able to do this IMO. What stations are you doing? (jumping rope, heavy bag, speed bag, shadowboxing, etc.) Maybe you can change those up a bit. If you know how to, doing rounds on the heavy bag or shadow boxing that incorporate kicks or knees/elbows is a change of pace that might make the rounds more difficult than straight boxing/hand techniques if that's all you're doing at the moment. You can also incorporate occasional shots and sprawls into some of the rounds.
bayonetxwork
6/12/08 12:36:28PM
I do intervals of burpees, jump rope, sprints, crab walking, and plyo pushups.

30seconds of each and then repeat until you can't walk. its kind of hard to do this type of training without a trainer though, because you need someone to push the last couple of sets out of you