Tipping or No Tipping?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Tipping or No Tipping?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Gogoplatapus
8/20/12 9:27:42PM
I've heard that Canadians are notoriously known in the US as non-tippers, yet I'd say 95% of the people I know, tip.

I've also heard that waitresses call black people 'Canadians' because they don't tip and they can't say 'black people'.

Has anyone heard of these or any other myth/stereotypes?
prophecy033
8/20/12 9:30:25PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I've heard that Canadians are notoriously known in the US as non-tippers, yet I'd say 95% of the people I know, tip.

I've also heard that waitresses call black people 'Canadians' because they don't tip and they can't say 'black people'.

nope, never
Shawn91111
8/20/12 9:58:15PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

It was more older women that were the worst tippers. Younger men trying to impress their date were the best.
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/12 10:18:07PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

You should give them more money for getting your order right and bringing you your food?

I think most people tip because that's what they've been taught to do and they feel bad if they don't and the system hasn't changed.

More on top of the $2 -$3 an hr they make?

As I said previously, they need to make regular wages instead of that low amount.
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/12 10:20:46PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Haha, yeah I remember the canadians part for the second line.
prophecy033
8/20/12 10:27:42PM

Posted by Shawn91111

You should give them more money for getting your order right and bringing you your food?

I think most people tip because that's what they've been taught to do and they feel bad if they don't and the system hasn't changed.

As I said previously, they need to make regular wages instead of that low amount.

I agree with this. It's basically our job to pay for their employees wages. That's fucking lame if you ask me. Pay your Damn employees at least minimum wage so they don't have to depend on us. We don't tip or leave a shitty tip they have negative thoughts that effect the next customer and can potentially hurt the owners business
warglory
8/20/12 10:28:49PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Notice you said it yourself. People are bringing you your food, making sure your water/soda stays full, asks if everything is to your satisfaction and bringing any dissatisfied meals back to the cooks/chefs to fix, etc. A waiter/waitress potentially does a ton, and the reason why their base pay is so low, for good or bad, is to provide an incentive to provide the best service possible to patrons. That is the way the system works, and if you partake in a meal at a restaurant, you are essentially agreeing to these conditions. If you don't, then why not just stay home and make your own food?

I am not trying to be combative here, I am just taken a back by your opinion on this.
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/12 11:20:20PM

Posted by warglory

Notice you said it yourself. People are bringing you your food, making sure your water/soda stays full, asks if everything is to your satisfaction and bringing any dissatisfied meals back to the cooks/chefs to fix, etc. A waiter/waitress potentially does a ton, and the reason why their base pay is so low, for good or bad, is to provide an incentive to provide the best service possible to patrons. That is the way the system works, and if you partake in a meal at a restaurant, you are essentially agreeing to these conditions. If you don't, then why not just stay home and make your own food?

I am not trying to be combative here, I am just taken a back by your opinion on this.

They might have a lot of tables, but not as hard as work as the cooks. They work to put out good food with regular pay. Also some of their tips are sometimes based on whether the food is good or not.

I used to work in a pizza place as a cook and it could be busy, but we still get the same pay and the servers walk out making more money, yet we're doing the harder work. They are suppose to tip out to the cooks, but would tip out a dollar when they made $100 that night unless the manager watched them.

I'm not a big fan of the system. But I also try not to eat out. Not saying I don't tip, though. I'd rather not, at some places I think servers just expect to be tipped regardless good or bad.
Poor_Franklin
8/21/12 11:32:59AM

They might have a lot of tables, but not as hard as work as the cooks. They work to put out good food with regular pay. Also some of their tips are sometimes based on whether the food is good or not.

I used to work in a pizza place as a cook and it could be busy, but we still get the same pay and the servers walk out making more money, yet we're doing the harder work. They are suppose to tip out to the cooks, but would tip out a dollar when they made $100 that night unless the manager watched them.

saying the kitchen work is harder is debatable. most cooks i know have NO desire to serve tables bc they dont want to try to keep 7-8 tables of hungry people happy all at once

Twenty20Dollars
8/21/12 12:07:28PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

saying the kitchen work is harder is debatable. most cooks i know have NO desire to serve tables bc they dont want to try to keep 7-8 tables of hungry people happy all at once

I'm not saying servers don't work hard.

But, there is more skill needed to be able to cook than take orders.
Shawn91111
8/21/12 12:16:00PM
Cooks working harder is debatable for sure. Ive been on both sides, went to culinary school, worked in many kitchens and served. There is a reason many cooks dont serve they dont have the people skills or patience to serve
Shawn91111
8/21/12 12:17:19PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I'm not saying servers don't work hard.

But, there is more skill needed to be able to cook than take orders.

Not true at all
george112
8/21/12 12:33:03PM
Cooks are better at some things
And Servers are better at some things

They are 2 different skill sets. One being more difficult then the other is totally subjective
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/12 12:43:31PM
I know they're different, but some cooks go learn their skill how to cook at a school. You wouldn't have to do that to be a server. Now, this example is probably for more high-end restaurants.
Svartorm
8/21/12 1:22:20PM
Being as I own a restaurant, I should probably let some folks know how this works.

A restaurant's food prices are determined by the cost of the food on your plate multiplied by 3 + $1. There are some exceptions to this, such as breakfast places where it's x5, fast food joints that basically break even on everything, or high-end joints where the price is a made-up figure.

That x3 +$1 is broken down as:
1/3 to pay for the food
1/3 to pay the rent and utilites
1/3 to pay for LABOR
$1 profit for the owner on top of whatevers left.

So, here's a total bill for a dinner for 2:

2 drinks at $5 each
2 dinners at $15 each
1 app or dessert at $8

Bill is $48 + tax (9%) + tip (20%) = $62 bucks

This equation (food x3 +$1) only works with the current pay scale we have in place today, which is $2 an hour for bartenders, $2-4 an hour for wait staff and $6+ a hour for delivery drivers. If restaurants paid a full wage to those people and you didn't have to tip them, they'd have to charge you far more for your food and beverages than you pay now. Your above bill is now:

2 drinks at $6 each
2 dinners at $18 each
1 app or dessert at $10

Bill is $58 + tax = $64

Thats just an example, but a restaurant would have to pay a very solid wage to waitstaff to stay competitive.
Svartorm
8/21/12 1:33:21PM

I'm not a big fan of the system. But I also try not to eat out. Not saying I don't tip, though. I'd rather not, at some places I think servers just expect to be tipped regardless good or bad.

I've done everything in restaurants from dish washer to owner. Aside from a GM working expo, wait staff work harder than anyone else in the business. You make an order as a cook and it's off your mind, but they have to deal with that person for a long time after the order is out.

As for getting paid the same if its busy or not, thats true of absolutely every job on Earth.

As for tipping out the cooks, I've never in my life heard of such a thing and it's completely ridiculous. Waitstaff routinely get screwed on tips for things they had literally no control over, such as how long the food takes or if the order they put in his correct. Granted, the idea of full-service pizza doesn't make an ounce of sense either, but under no circumstance should a waitress tip out anyone except the hostess. Most pizza joints will have a tip jar on the counter which goes to cash, cook and prep.

I'd also like to point out that waitstaff are the MOST IMPORTANT part of eating out, which is why they get paid so much, and deservedly so. A waiter/waitress can make or break a restaurant, and are just as likely to bring in customers as the food quality.
Chael_Sonnen
8/21/12 1:37:00PM
For the lobster tail that I eat every thursday evening, I tip the bus boy, the illegal washing the dishes, the gangster cooking my meal, the hot hostess, etc., etc.

Paid for by the committee that BELIEVES in tipping
airkerma
8/21/12 2:03:50PM
All this talk of eating out...me likey
Shawn91111
8/21/12 4:10:35PM

I know they're different, but some cooks go learn their skill how to cook at a school. You wouldn't have to do that to be a server. Now, this example is probably for more high-end restaurants.

To a point yes, I should have clarified. If I had done it another way personally I would never have gone to Culinary School. Id have gone to work in a big city such as NYC, stayed at a place 2 yrs and moved to another restaurant for 2 more. So in 4 yrs I have 4 yrs of exp, more than the guy coming out of school who is going to have to start where I started 4 yrs prior.

Now the cooks in the restaurants one main thing is experience. Same as a server its all repetition, now I'm not saying the chef at Le Bernardin is grouped in there because they do have a serious skill. But the chain restaurants its a corporate menu that people with basic skills can do with enough repetition.
Shawn91111
8/21/12 4:12:20PM

Posted by Svartorm

I've done everything in restaurants from dish washer to owner. Aside from a GM working expo, wait staff work harder than anyone else in the business. You make an order as a cook and it's off your mind, but they have to deal with that person for a long time after the order is out.

As for getting paid the same if its busy or not, thats true of absolutely every job on Earth.

As for tipping out the cooks, I've never in my life heard of such a thing and it's completely ridiculous. Waitstaff routinely get screwed on tips for things they had literally no control over, such as how long the food takes or if the order they put in his correct. Granted, the idea of full-service pizza doesn't make an ounce of sense either, but under no circumstance should a waitress tip out anyone except the hostess. Most pizza joints will have a tip jar on the counter which goes to cash, cook and prep.

I'd also like to point out that waitstaff are the MOST IMPORTANT part of eating out, which is why they get paid so much, and deservedly so. A waiter/waitress can make or break a restaurant, and are just as likely to bring in customers as the food quality.

That happens a lot at high end restaurants and hotel restaurants
prophecy033
8/21/12 5:03:30PM

Posted by airkerma

Where's Ronda Rousey when you need her
Shawn91111
8/21/12 5:36:38PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

There ya go

infestructure
8/21/12 6:26:16PM

the reason why their base pay is so low, for good or bad, is to provide an incentive to provide the best service possible to patrons. That is the way the system works.

Really? That is the reason their base pay is so low? Not because it's the status quo left behind a long time ago? I'm sure restaurant owners would love you to keep thinking that and paying their employee's salary...
The USA is the only country in the world who partakes in gratuity (I think) and every other country gets along just fine without it. The waitresses may be less fake, but apart from that, the service and food is just as good if you tip or not.
prophecy033
8/21/12 6:26:45PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by airkerma

There ya go

perfecto
VILLIN
8/21/12 8:15:54PM
I always tip but the percentage varies depending on the service and quality of the food. If the food was prepared correctly and the service was good then i'll tip 30%. If one of those is off i'll drop to 20% and if both were below par I drop to 10%. On rare occasions i've had both outstanding food and service so I left 50%.
warglory
8/21/12 10:28:25PM

Posted by infestructure

the reason why their base pay is so low, for good or bad, is to provide an incentive to provide the best service possible to patrons. That is the way the system works.

Really? That is the reason their base pay is so low? Not because it's the status quo left behind a long time ago? I'm sure restaurant owners would love you to keep thinking that and paying their employee's salary...
The USA is the only country in the world who partakes in gratuity (I think) and every other country gets along just fine without it. The waitresses may be less fake, but apart from that, the service and food is just as good if you tip or not.

I can only speak for sure about Canada and the US as those are the only two countries I have been to, and Canada definitely partakes in gratuity. Upon research though, tipping is quite common in many parts of the world, particularly in Europe and South America. Wikipedia did highlight specifically that in New Zealand, gratuity isn't commonplace.

I'd honestly be curious to find out from a well traveled person around the PG, who has dined around the world, to see which country they went to had the best service.
prozacnation1978
8/22/12 12:21:53AM
I always tip no matter if there a ass or not
Customer service is a hard job
aussiemma
8/22/12 3:05:33AM
tipping in australia is not anything like tipping in the U.S. I couldn't believe how slow your taxi meters go over there, over here it is seriously about double if not more for a taxi.
I generally give 10% at restaurants and a couple of bucks for the cabbies but it really is not customary to tip at all over here.
I got a buzz cut in brooklyn and didn't even know tipping existed in a barber shop until i got a dirty look from the guy that shaved my head.
Cooler
8/22/12 6:08:00AM
While I have tipped, I think the idea tipping is ridiculous when the wages employees get should be higher. I'm under the thought that it's not up to the customers to pay most of the employees wages (sometimes 90%). It's like we're under a service tax and if you don't pay they might remember you. Tipping is ultimately taxing the customers for good service while not paying the employees what they actually should earn.
Svartorm
8/22/12 2:48:16PM

Posted by Cooler

While I have tipped, I think the idea tipping is ridiculous when the wages employees get should be higher. I'm under the thought that it's not up to the customers to pay most of the employees wages (sometimes 90%). It's like we're under a service tax and if you don't pay they might remember you. Tipping is ultimately taxing the customers for good service while not paying the employees what they actually should earn.

What do folks not understand about this? The server has to be paid one way or another.

Either they get paid a low hourly wage and you tip them based on service, or they're paid a full wage and your food is more expensive to cover the extra labor costs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3