Tipping or No Tipping?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Tipping or No Tipping?
Next Page »
Shawn91111
8/20/12 1:07:22PM
Money..not cows. Anyhow going through different forums and such, no topic it seems can generate a ton of responses and opinions quite like a tipping thread.

So my question is, do you tip? If so how much usually? I know some countries outside of the US do not tip and sometimes its frowned upon to give a tip.

Would you tip at a buffet? Or still leave something even if the service is kinda crappy?

I myself have been in that industry and knows what its like to make $3 hr (not sure if it differs from state to state or if that rate for servers has changed), and get stiffed on a tip. I always tip, it always depends on the service but its always something. I usually do the normal 20% but end up around 30% more likely.
ThaAxeMurderer7
8/20/12 1:18:29PM
I always tip. How much really depends on the type of service I get. If you're friendly and you keep my drink filled, you will get 20% or more. If you aren't friendly and my glass is empty, you will probably get less although I don't recall ever tipping below around 15%. In some cases, when I go to watch UFC fights at a sports bar, I usually tip a lot more because I'm there for such a long period of time and I know the server could have turned that table 3 or 4 times in a 4 or 5 hour period. As for buffets, I usually tip 2 or 3 bucks.
airkerma
8/20/12 1:20:17PM
Typically a generous tipper, more often than not a bit more than 20%. For a group of 4 at a buffet, $2 is enough since you're servicing yourself (derherher). Servers get crappy hourly wages and put up with probably 20% of their tables being douche lords, I think they deserve something for their efforts, unless they clearly suck at their job.
george112
8/20/12 1:37:20PM
Don't really have a set percentage I go by but let's say for example I went to a buffet and the waitress/waiter is very attentive and gives prompt refills and the bill is 21 bucks for 2 people ill give out a 4 dollar tip.

Now even for a not so attentive server that same bill would have gotten them a 1 dollar tip
warglory
8/20/12 2:16:26PM
Always 20%. I haven't been to a buffet in years so I can't recall, but I definitely tipped. I have been to a few bars in Montreal where they require you to tip up front, which everyone I was with thought that was very odd, but we coughed up the cash.

I think it reflect poorly on someone's character when they don't tip.

thevoodooninja
8/20/12 2:16:38PM
I'm kinda like george, I'll have my lady throw down a 4or5 dollar tip if the service is decent but if its not I don't think twice about not leaving shit
pmoney
8/20/12 2:24:43PM
I have to tip well. I've known too many people in that industry and have seen what they have gone through not to tip well.

I try to tip at least 20-25%. Depending on how good the service is, how much the bill is, how much money I have etc, I will tip 50-100% for extraordinary service.
I always try to see how busy the restaurant is, etc, and try not to hold my server to any unreasonable expectations.

Service that I perceive as bare minimum will usually garner a 15%-18% tip (double tax in CA). I usually only order water if I go to eat. I don't drink soda, and I save booze for after my meal. The water gives some the automatic impression I am cheap, which is certainly not the case. I try to leave a good tip as proof, but if the service doesn't warrant it, I don't go above 15%.

I have rarely ever stiffed a server. You would have to take about 20 minutes after I am seated to get my order, the food would have to take a long time (and suck), and I would have to be completely ignored until a check is brought for me to stiff a tip. The server would have to be rude as fuck and show a complete lack of interest in my business. I've only had service that bad a few times. I left a condom filled with ranch dressing on a table as retaliation once. I was a teenager though, and the bitch who was the server was terrible.
Pookie
8/20/12 2:29:21PM
I dont tip at Buffets. I did all the work myself.

I tip 15 if they did the bare minimum. 20 if they live up to my expectations. 25 if they impress me. 30 if they blow my mind/ or make me want to have sex with them. 10 if they suck. 0 if they single handedly make me not ever want to return.

Normally its between 15-20
postman
8/20/12 2:33:07PM
I usually give 20% rounded up to the dollar. so if my bill was 12.36 i would tip $3.00
State_Champ
8/20/12 2:38:05PM
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.
Franklinfan47
8/20/12 2:42:15PM

Posted by State_Champ

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.

You know what your problem is Mr. Pink? You don't know what the fuck your talking about.

Waitressing is the only job a single mother can survive on in this country......BECAUSE OF THE TIPS!

prophecy033
8/20/12 2:48:11PM
I ALWAYS tip for 3 things

1) Restaurants
2) Haircuts
3) Tattoos

My reasoning is this.....if you tip they remember that and you thus possibly getting even better service next time. You don't tip, niece me, they remember that and you and you will get even worse service and yes, they tell their co-workers
Poor_Franklin
8/20/12 3:09:04PM
Me & my gf are both bartenders who make $2.13 an hour, so our bills are literally made & paid w/ our tips.

Having said that, yes i always tip.

If i get bad service, i try judge whether the person cares how my experience is. If i know they care about my dining/drinking experience & make a mistake or 2, i'll chalk that up to a bad day. If they suck at their job & don't seem to put any effort into trying to make $, then i will undertip them.

Never leave zeros at a place you frequent. I person who never tips will get get some terrible service at our bar.

Also........if you pick up a tab for a person, you are supposed to tip for them too.

I had a guy pick up a tab over $100 from a couple he knew. He, himself, only had 2 beers. He gave us a $5 tip for the $120 check, only bc he had been there 5 minutes, while his friends had been there 2 hours. He literally took money away from us.

great quote: "Never make a living doing anything that depends on the generosity of others."
Shawn91111
8/20/12 3:14:37PM

Posted by prophecy033

I ALWAYS tip for 3 things

1) Restaurants
2) Haircuts
3) Tattoos

My reasoning is this.....if you tip they remember that and you thus possibly getting even better service next time. You don't tip, niece me, they remember that and you and you will get even worse service and yes, they tell their co-workers

I tip the same. But I have cut my own hair for the last 8 years, $20 clippers go a long way.

I tipped for both of my tattoos though.
Shawn91111
8/20/12 3:21:06PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Me & my gf are both bartenders who make $2.13 an hour, so our bills are literally made & paid w/ our tips.

Having said that, yes i always tip.

If i get bad service, i try judge whether the person cares how my experience is. If i know they care about my dining/drinking experience & make a mistake or 2, i'll chalk that up to a bad day. If they suck at their job & don't seem to put any effort into trying to make $, then i will undertip them.

Never leave zeros at a place you frequent. I person who never tips will get get some terrible service at our bar.

Also........if you pick up a tab for a person, you are supposed to tip for them too.

I had a guy pick up a tab over $100 from a couple he knew. He, himself, only had 2 beers. He gave us a $5 tip for the $120 check, only bc he had been there 5 minutes, while his friends had been there 2 hours. He literally took money away from us.

great quote: "Never make a living doing anything that depends on the generosity of others."

This is something I don't really..tremendously agree with although I do it. When I worked in Hotels the Alcohol is marked up huge, huge amount. A normal Absolute Vodka bottle is around $80-$95 in hotels, where you can get it in the store for $20.

Should they tip 20% on the one item that really didn't take anymore amount of work or effort on your part?

The $5 yep I can see your point for sure though.

Largest tip I ever received in the hospitality industry was. I was working room service in Florida, some wedding party ordered 30 bottles of alcohol, and wine. Bill for the liquor alone was around $2500, 20% of that I got to keep, plus they tipped $500 on top of that.
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/12 3:32:37PM
I kind of think the idea of tipping is dumb.

Just pay the servers regular wages.

It's like you have to pay an extra amount plus what your food costs, which is already expensive to eat out.
pmoney
8/20/12 3:39:50PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I always tip a dollar per drink I order, $2 if its like a $10 drink, plus a little extra at the end of the night. If it's a bar I always go to and the bartender is hooking up shots, I'll throw an extra $20 their way easy.

I've just always been taught to tip. It's courteous. I know if I am at my job and someone says "Hey, great job, thanks for hooking it up. Take the wife out to dinner" and lays some dough on me, that can just about make my month. It's nice to be able to do that for others, especially those who really try and are deserving.
pmoney
8/20/12 4:05:23PM

Posted by Shawn91111

This is something I don't really..tremendously agree with although I do it. When I worked in Hotels the Alcohol is marked up huge, huge amount. A normal Absolute Vodka bottle is around $80-$95 in hotels, where you can get it in the store for $20.

I can see your point on this. I got charged $10 for a single shot of Jameson at Tilted Kilt and it's $20 a bottle. I gave the dude $15 and left for my local dive. But really that's the same in restaurants. You can go to a fine steakhouse and pay out the ass for your meal, or you can go to the store and get some steaks and potatoes and spend 1/5th of what you would eating out. People go out to eat and drink for service, atmosphere and convenience. You don't have to clean up, you don't have to do shit. That's why everything is so much more expensive, you are paying everyone's salary with your patronage: the busboy, the dishwashers, the cooks, hostess, etc. Then the tip which is what your server or bartender needs to make any kind of living. (Rant not directed at you shawn, or anyone else, I know you started this thread lol)
Poor_Franklin
8/20/12 4:09:51PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Should they tip 20% on the one item that really didn't take anymore amount of work or effort on your part?

the bar i work at only has 2 people on staff most nights. we dont just pour drinks. we clean tables, wash dishes, serve drinks & some snack foods, restock drinks when low, serve drinks to tables when we have time.

we are not only the bartenders,but also managers, servers, dishwashers, sometimes cooks, & keepers of the peace.

i know not all places are like this, but that's why we feel so strongly about how we do our jobs & the money we get back. we make decent money, mainly bc most of our regulars are very aware of the work me & her (or whatever duo is on staff that night) put in.

Poor_Franklin
8/20/12 4:14:41PM
i know guys that work for tips & still don't tip. those people should be shot.
BuffaloDave
8/20/12 4:23:48PM
I don't have a set percentage that I'll leave, I base it on service from the waitress/waiter, as long as they treat me like a person and not a customer, and do not have that fake personality some put on, and don't ask how everything is when I have a mouth full of food, I'll leave a pretty nice tip. I learned take care of the people at your regular spots, because they definitely take care of you. I will also tip for takeout orders as well, not like fast food chains, but like Denny's and such.

As for buffets, I leave a tip, usually around $5 bucks, if the plates are picked up in a timely fashion, and my drink stays filled, if they have to fill them.
State_Champ
8/20/12 4:25:16PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by State_Champ

You know what your problem is Mr. Pink? You don't know what the fuck your talking about.

Waitressing is the only job a single mother can survive on in this country......BECAUSE OF THE TIPS!

Fuck all that....

I mean, I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.
kopower
8/20/12 4:29:03PM
I usually tip 20%, and a little more if the service was real good. We usually tip a few dollars at a buffet.

I do think some tipping is kind of ridiculous though. Like at coffee shops for instance. It takes you 15 seconds to make my drink, and you want a tip??
infestructure
8/20/12 4:30:31PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by State_Champ

YES! Reservoir Dogs quote!

When I am in the states, I tip, but I don't like it.

Imo, the onus is on the employer to make sure the staff are paid correctly - not the customers.
In New Zealand, we do not tip, as a result, waitresses are less nice - but they are more genuine.
I used to agree with tipping, and have no problem with parting with money for good service, but if it is expected of me, it takes all the fun out of it.
shaneTpain
8/20/12 7:12:51PM
I always tip.

Its like this..
If I were working a shitty delivery-coffee-shop-food-service type job.. getting tips would certainly slightly ease the pain of working such a shitty job.

So.. there ya go.
Give the poor bastards a couple bucks you cheaps fucks. Atleast theyre working for it, instead of begging & harassing you, like the thousands of hobos that infest the town I live in.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 2
Twenty20Dollars
8/20/12 7:32:47PM
You should give them more money for getting your order right and bringing you your food?

I think most people tip because that's what they've been taught to do and they feel bad if they don't and the system hasn't changed.
DancingDoll
8/20/12 7:54:43PM
I tip for everything - drinks/food, hair salon, tattoo, cabs, delivery, hotel-maids, even at all-inclusive resorts. I've just been brought up that way.
Bubbles
8/20/12 7:57:48PM
I'll tip as low as 10% if the service is shitty and the food sucks. I'm generally around 15-20% if the service is good. If a bottle of beer at a bar costs any more than $6, I don't leave a tip, otherwise I tip a dollar each time unless I have to wait longer than 10 min. Buffets I usually leave $5.
Shawn91111
8/20/12 8:21:06PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

You should give them more money for getting your order right and bringing you your food?

I think most people tip because that's what they've been taught to do and they feel bad if they don't and the system hasn't changed.

More on top of the $2 -$3 an hr they make?
crushedbacon
8/20/12 8:57:46PM
I'm pretty sure in Canada...minimum wage (minor differences, depending on province)... is set like $10/hour, roughly $9 for all that serve alcohol... I tip my bartenders, waitresses/waiters, hair cut guy, and dealer (poker & weed) but no love to gas pump guy or fast food guy.... all make roughly the same, and that's just what goes down here.... I dunno... always wonder. Who tips maids?
Pages: [1] 2 3