Time for UFC to get tough on TUF

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Time for UFC to get tough on TUF
Next Page »
POLL: Are the TUF antics getting out of control?
Yes 37% (24)
No 35% (23)
I hate Don King! 28% (18)
grappler0000
6/21/08 1:38:05PM
I suppose if I was between the ages of 18 and 34, I’d find Jesse Taylor’s antics hilarious. I’d find the fact that he got drunk out of his mind, kicked a window out of a limousine, harassed several women, antagonized customers trying to enjoy their leisure time and blatantly challenged security guards’ authority to protect their property a laugh-a-minute riot.

Instead, I find it repellant, just as I found it revolting during another episode of “The Ultimate Fighter” on Spike TV when a once-again drunken Taylor urinated onto the carpet of someone else’s home.

If this is great TV, then you can count me out for Seasons 8 and beyond.

At least UFC president Dana White did the right thing by booting Taylor from his position opposite Amir Sadollah in Saturday’s finale at The Pearl at The Palms in Las Vegas.

The bigger picture is being overlooked in all of this, however. Taylor’s drunken buffoonery might have helped Spike earn a bigger rating, both for Wednesday’s heavily hyped episode as well for Saturday’s finale, now between Sadollah and the man he beat in the semifinals, pre-tournament favorite C.B. Dollaway.

But at what cost did Spike land those ratings? This isn’t the first time one of the competitors on “The Ultimate Fighter” got drunk and rowdy. Most often, it’s harmless. Producers of the show tacitly encourage the fighters with a wink and a nod to destroy the house.

And each season on the show, you know it’s coming as sure as sunrise. What if one of those drunken fighters fell down that tall staircase in the home where the show is taped while horsing around with one of his castmates and banged his head on the floor? And just what if the effects of that fighter banging his head turned out to be a little more serious than a bump or a mild concussion?

Link
nickcuc547
6/21/08 1:47:29PM
the guys who have been idiots have been kicked off for the most part, so i don't see a problem with the behavior. as for the focus, all reality shows focus on the human side of the show and tuf is no different.
Aaronno9
6/21/08 1:53:06PM
Thats pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Yeh, somebody might be wreaking havok and fall down the stairs and die, but its about as big a possibility as somebody walking by the pool and slipping in and drowning. Its easy to sit on your high horse on the outside, but when your a young guy trapped in a house with people you might not even like for however long it is, youd probably want a release to. If the producers tell them they can wreck the house, then shit, let them do it. Sitting round reading and playing chess isnt everybodies idea of fun, just like breaking shit isnt everyones idea of fun.
grappler0000
6/21/08 1:54:04PM

Posted by nickcuc547

the guys who have been idiots have been kicked off for the most part, so i don't see a problem with the behavior. as for the focus, all reality shows focus on the human side of the show and tuf is no different.

That's true, but the article touches on an interesting point...what happens when someone is drunk from Zuffa/Spike supplied alcohol and gets seriously hurt? I actually had the same thought going though my head when they were tearing out the handrails on the stairs. Someone could easily have fallen to the floor below, especially considering they had been drinking. So, if that did happen, then what? Regardless of a possible ugly lawsuit, what does that do to tarnish the UFC brand, etc?
seanfu
6/21/08 2:21:47PM
I don't disagree and if it's Spike actually scripting some of the entertaining nonsense then shame on them, but if it's just a bunch of bored immature fighters then they're grown men and it's on them. I'm 18 and I love it, it's entertaining imo.

The one thing I would say against it though is that the focus is then drawn away from what's important. Marketing fighters and marketing a show is one thing but they are slowly making the show about false drama and coaches rather than fighters.
Twenty20Dollars
6/21/08 2:33:30PM
The guy's on the show just need to stop destroying the house. TUF guys need to show some respect to the UFC and act like professional and not an idiot that the uninformed public thinks of these mma fighters.
Aaronno9
6/21/08 2:41:07PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

The guy's on the show just need to stop destroying the house. TUF guys need to show some respect to the UFC and act like professional and not an idiot that the uninformed public thinks of these mma fighters.

Well when the ufcs producers are egging them on to wreck the house, how can you say their disrespecting the ufc by doing it?
Porch28
6/21/08 2:46:57PM
THe UFC causes it they take everything away from them except food and alcohol what do you think is going to happen. Sad to say dysfunction sells and nobody would watch if there weren't any controversy. I personally don't like it either but what can you do? Watch/don't watch you have the control
Porch28
6/21/08 2:51:18PM
You know what then, Theyshould just throw the guys in the house for 6 weeks and say you don't get out until someone wins.That would be insane
Rush
6/21/08 3:04:06PM
Just a thought, but are all the guys on TUF 21 years old or older? They must have been otherwise we would have heard about underage drinking.

I've said it many times. I find the whole rowdy behaviour really immature. I mean, it is something I would expect from a teenager, but some of these guys are married and have kids.

Also, do we really need more fighters in the UFC that have problems with alcohol?

For me it's not a matter of not watching it because I don't watch TUF any more, but I don't like the idea of these fighters possibly being the main staple of young up an comers in the UFC (or any org for that matter)
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/21/08 3:30:51PM
My biggest problem with TUF is that guys from the show get to lose 2-3 more fights before being cut than a guy not from TUF. I don't even mind them getting fights in UFC. When they headline coming off 2 loses then I take issue. Looking at you Grove.

So CroCop cut and Kendall main event? I guess if UFC says they have the best fighters in the world it must be true.
Trench777
6/21/08 3:39:38PM

Posted by Porch28
...Watch/don't watch you have the control

& thats what it boils down to.

All the drunken frat boy bullshit that entertains the 18 year old viewers ceased to amuse me about 10 years ago (doing it & watching it). No moral lectures, no speaches on temperance, self-control & 101 Ways to F*** Your Life Up, just...*click off*...there ya go.

I'll click back in the last 30 minutes to watch the fight(s) & leave the beer bong contests and drywall destruction to the MTV crowd.

T777

dannyfrank
6/21/08 3:40:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by nickcuc547

That's true, but the article touches on an interesting point...what happens when someone is drunk from Zuffa/Spike supplied alcohol and gets seriously hurt? I actually had the same thought going though my head when they were tearing out the handrails on the stairs. Someone could easily have fallen to the floor below, especially considering they had been drinking. So, if that did happen, then what? Regardless of a possible ugly lawsuit, what does that do to tarnish the UFC brand, etc?

im sure that the fighters sign some type of release form before the show that would prevent a lawsuit
Jipper
6/21/08 4:05:34PM
I thought this was a time for TUF to get some tuff fighters. Serious lack of talent since TUF 4.
Pookie
6/21/08 4:09:04PM

Posted by Jipper

I thought this was a time for TUF to get some tuff fighters. Serious lack of talent since TUF 4.

I personally though season 5 was one of the most talented season.
...other than wang and ruedinger.
JimiMak
6/21/08 4:15:05PM
This is why I don't watch the show. I'll watch the fights at the end of each show, the finale etc. I've no interest in watching them act like asses. Course I don't watch Big Brother or any shows w/ this focus, so...
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/21/08 4:24:56PM
damn u Don King!
grappler0000
6/21/08 5:00:29PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by nickcuc547

im sure that the fighters sign some type of release form before the show that would prevent a lawsuit

Yeah, without a doubt...unfortunately, that doesn't always protect a company regardless of what they sign away. And I think it's really bigger than losing money...to tarnish the UFC brand would hit em a lot harder.
CornishMMA
6/21/08 5:29:43PM
Just to be pedantic and point out the stupidness of the new spoiler rule - this thread breaks that rule cos the last TUF episode isnt on here for another 36 mins

So this thread should not be here it should have been posted in the spoilers forum

But this is quite funny cos i was actually at my mates house and he had a TUF1 episode and its after the leben stuff kicked off, dana said "YOU GUYS HAVE TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGE TO THE HOUSE" oh how things have changed eh

This season was good, fights quality was better than recent seasons and we have ALOT more of them, but all the house antics were the worst so far and made it a MEH season overall to me, they really need to realise we dont like watching drunk ppl valdalise stuff

SPIKE TV even had a lil advert during that last TUF, it simply showed jesse trashing the house and being drunk and said "TO SEE MORE OF JESSE TAYLORS DRUNK RAMPAGES IN THE HOUSE LOG ONTO SPIKE.COM" WTF!
Wolfenstein
6/21/08 5:30:23PM
It's more likely they'll get hurt in a fight than breaking stuff at the house. Kevin Lole just sounds like a nagging mom. There's no big picture to it Kev. These guys are fighters, and fighters are animals. They're not choir boys who just happen to be great at fighting. It takes a certain type of guy to be a fighter.

The typical audience for MMA is 18-34, so maybe we don't need some mid 40's grump doing columns on MMA. Try covering some golf if you want some complacent gentleman who don't act out.
grappler0000
6/21/08 5:54:28PM

Posted by luke420187

It's more likely they'll get hurt in a fight than breaking stuff at the house. Kevin Lole just sounds like a nagging mom. There's no big picture to it Kev. These guys are fighters, and fighters are animals. They're not choir boys who just happen to be great at fighting. It takes a certain type of guy to be a fighter.

The typical audience for MMA is 18-34, so maybe we don't need some mid 40's grump doing columns on MMA. Try covering some golf if you want some complacent gentleman who don't act out.

Actually, Kevin usually sides with the UFC on almost everthing, so I was actually surprised to see this article. All fighters don't act like this, but you have to act like this in order to get on the show...there's a big difference.
The-Don
6/21/08 6:58:47PM
Someone mentioned Leben from the first season... If I recall he punched his hand through some glass... cut it pretty bad... what if the glass sliced an artery or tendonds.. he could heave lost his life let alone injured himself permenantly..

Personaly I feel the drunken antics of these guys. many of whom end up with contracts regardless of losing is disrespectful to the sport and the fighters who had to bust thier asses to make it with out shows like this.. and I have heard part of what they look for when casting the shows are not just guys who are decent fighters but I have heard that many are picked based upon how much tension and drama they can bring into the house.. I'd rather see the best fighters and them focus more are training... THis show shows why some of the people who are against MMA still can keep some of thier arguments alive that MMA fighters are thugs nd brutes.. this show does nothng to show that most are serious fighters who spend hours a day in the gym busting thier buts hoping to make it...
Porch28
6/21/08 8:19:41PM
Random thought. I really miss Pride!!!!!!!
Porch28
6/21/08 8:24:20PM
I cant believe I watched the whole marathon
ThePlague
6/22/08 4:51:22AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them get out of the house and do something else for the entertainment value, I don't think it would effect their training more than any other professional fighter. However, I don't think their situation is any more dangerous that a hundred other reality series like Survivor, Big Brother, Rock of Love, and a many, many others where they either drink of are stuck in close quarters with each other.
mrsmiley
6/22/08 9:33:53AM
I do find the antics a bit tiring,but it hits close to home with me because I know people who have done the same things,and I must admit at times I have done things close to that.I never terrorized a group of women though.

I think if their going to show them out of training though and going out,it would be much more entertaining to do an MMA reality show with already established stars.

Imagine this:

Crocop,Fedor,Liddell,GSP,Big Nog,Barnett,Mark Hunt,Wanderlei,and Bas Rutten all living in the same house for 1 month.With the language barriers and crazy training that would become an instant hit.

Liddell would get Fedor to go to the club with him.Hunt would go on a rampage because someone ate all the ice cream in the house.Barnett would hog the TV watching old Japanese Pro-wrestling tapes.GSP and Nog would have some of the funniest conversastions known to man.

GSP: Yeah! you are one of de' greatest.An honor to be here with you.

Nog: Where is Handy! Do you know Handy!
warglory
6/22/08 11:16:16AM

Posted by mrsmiley

I do find the antics a bit tiring,but it hits close to home with me because I know people who have done the same things,and I must admit at times I have done things close to that.I never terrorized a group of women though.

I think if their going to show them out of training though and going out,it would be much more entertaining to do an MMA reality show with already established stars.

Imagine this:

Crocop,Fedor,Liddell,GSP,Big Nog,Barnett,Mark Hunt,Wanderlei,and Bas Rutten all living in the same house for 1 month.With the language barriers and crazy training that would become an instant hit.

Liddell would get Fedor to go to the club with him.Hunt would go on a rampage because someone ate all the ice cream in the house.Barnett would hog the TV watching old Japanese Pro-wrestling tapes.GSP and Nog would have some of the funniest conversastions known to man.

GSP: Yeah! you are one of de' greatest.An honor to be here with you.

Nog: Where is Handy! Do you know Handy!

Picturing Fedor and Liddell at the club right now. Fedor opening up outside his little Russian clique would be hilarious.
tdietel01
6/22/08 11:40:22AM
This show is more of a real world style show than anything else. Its amazing that these people can act like that and not be embarassed?!?! they look like dumb jocks. thats the only way to put it. why dont they get some real talent with real goals in that house and keep the alcohal away from the house. this show shines a horrible light on mma.
MoJoy
6/22/08 1:50:43PM
If you dont understand it is how bad it is what they are doing something is missing from your personality.

First off, a lot of impressionable young adults watch this show. This message of destroyuing things and getting drunk is not the message you want to send across.
MoJoy
6/22/08 1:59:02PM
And the example it sets to young adults is terrible. I am a young adult who likes to have fun. When I see that I think its tacky and low class. It makes them look bad, and gives a bad image to the rest of the guys who work hard and dont behave that way. They can do what the contender does and let them out of the house from time to time or make activities for them in the house. And fights are reffed. What are people talking about. Broken pieces in a house are much more dangerous. Use logic.
Pages: [1] 2