Time for MMA Fighters to Once again evolve in this ever evolving sport

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Time for MMA Fighters to Once again evolve in this ever evolving sport
Patchedup15
7/22/11 7:02:29PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/775345-mma-fighters-should-either-evolve-or-find-a-different-sport

Check out the above opinion article defending "lay and pray" type fighters. While i appreciate the ground game i'm among the masses who don't train MMA, and personally i would prefer to see a more striking centric fight mixed with some Bjj sub attempts (think Pettis v Guida, or Njokuani's latest fight (sorry for butchering his name). I like to see fighters impose their will on the ground, but i understand teh frustration that could accompany watching a bored Gsp, Fitch holding someone down to get a safe win (funny how these guys are similiar in that regard)... anyway back to my main point..

I think it's time fighters call up some wrestlers/ bjj combo trainers so they can improve not just on the ground.. but!! off their back. i suggest someone find what pettis has been eating
prophecy033
7/22/11 7:44:33PM

Posted by Patchedup15

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/775345-mma-fighters-should-either-evolve-or-find-a-different-sport

Check out the above opinion article defending "lay and pray" type fighters. While i appreciate the ground game i'm among the masses who don't train MMA, and personally i would prefer to see a more striking centric fight mixed with some Bjj sub attempts (think Pettis v Guida, or Njokuani's latest fight (sorry for butchering his name). I like to see fighters impose their will on the ground, but i understand teh frustration that could accompany watching a bored Gsp, Fitch holding someone down to get a safe win (funny how these guys are similiar in that regard)... anyway back to my main point..

I think it's time fighters call up some wrestlers/ bjj combo trainers so they can improve not just on the ground.. but!! off their back. i suggest someone find what pettis has been eating

you wanna see some more fights like DIAZ v GOMI
ghandikush
7/22/11 8:00:42PM
It's as simple as not scoring takedowns and clinch control nearly as much as damage.

I dont really care if you spent half a round trying to score a takedown, we dont appease bjj for its weaknesses.

So yeah, scoring from top should be the primary factor.

And look at cain vs lesnar when lesnar takes him down he pops right back up before being controlled. That is how to beat wrestling.

Most of the stalling in standup is also because people are afraid they will be taken down once and lose the round.