How much time out justifies a intrim title?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How much time out justifies a intrim title?
POLL: Time off to justify intrim title?
1-3 months 3% (1)
3-5 months 3% (1)
6-9 months 32% (10)
9-10 months 19% (6)
12 months plus 42% (13)
Biggz
12/30/10 4:59:25PM
With reports that Cain can be out for six to eight months, i got thinking, what kind of time length justifies a intrim title? So obviously they need to be out for more than just a couple months. But how long does a champ need to be out for before you can fairly make an intrim belt? Personally six months is not great but i dont think you should have an intrim belt for six months. However eight months is starting to get boarder line in my opinion. What does everyone else think?
RyanC
12/30/10 5:12:11PM
I went with 9-10. If Cain can get back in 6 I really don't see the point of having an interim belt.
Taylor8766
12/30/10 5:55:10PM
I went with 6-9 months because, if a champion is out for that extended period of time there should without question be an intermin title in place. I like to see an interim title in place especially if there is two top guys that both deserve a title shot, however in the HW division its not quite the case at the moment because JDS is right now the clear cut number 1 guy.
DCRage
12/30/10 6:16:17PM
1 year.
prozacnation1978
12/30/10 7:14:15PM
gotta say 10 months or over not from injury but last bout so
cain fought in oct so he has till aug to defend
that is fair I believe

funny how it is always heavyweights for interim
postman
12/30/10 7:19:40PM
I wanted to go 11 months but it just wasn't a option
FlashyG
12/30/10 8:02:50PM
I would say no amount of time justifies it.

If the UFC could sell a PPV card with the headline fight being a #1 contender match instead of a title fight, Interim titles wouldn't even exist.

Sadly we as fans will only spend our money if the card has a title fight, some fans are getting to the point where they wont pay unless there's 2 title fights.
sbulldavid
12/31/10 12:31:30AM
I think that every situation is different. Right now is way too soon to be talking interim belt. Cain might be ready in five months. Give JDS a high profile fight with Mir and the winner can have Cain when he returns and the loser can have Carwin when he returns.
Pookie
12/31/10 1:14:07AM
Any time you want a 5-round fight!
RyanC
12/31/10 9:48:09AM

Posted by FlashyG

I would say no amount of time justifies it.

If the UFC could sell a PPV card with the headline fight being a #1 contender match instead of a title fight, Interim titles wouldn't even exist.

Sadly we as fans will only spend our money if the card has a title fight, some fans are getting to the point where they wont pay unless there's 2 title fights.

I've been purchasing almost every card lately regardless of who's on it. If you give me two or three interesting fights that I want to see I'll buy a card. I like to watch MMA, and $45 is worth it for 3 hours of entertainment once a month. If I can find a person or two to come over and chip in a little I don't even think twice about buying a card, but I guess I'm not most people these days.
FlashyG
12/31/10 11:23:01AM
Generally speaking if you're talking MMA on a messageboard you're not a casual fan.
Kpro
12/31/10 11:48:32AM
Cain weighed 244 for his last fight so if you subtract his age you get 216, now add in the last event he fought at which was UFC 121 and you get 337.

So 337 days in Cain's case before an interim title.

For another example a 40 year old 135 pound champion who last fought at DREAM 16 would get 111 days (135-40+16).

Obviously lower weight-classes and newer organizations have to hold fights more often to avoid interim titles using this formula.

Hopefully I've cleared some of this up.