Is it time???? GSP vs SILVA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is it time???? GSP vs SILVA
POLL: GSP VS SILVA
Right now!! 39% (21)
Let them have another fight each!! 24% (13)
Dont go their right now!! 37% (20)
cloud301336
8/12/09 9:47:52PM
with both fighters coming off a win over tough competitors, do you think it time for them to fight? in a recent in interview with Silva he stated he didn't want to relinquish his title but did want to defend it, for his next fight. he would rather fight at 205 again OR fight at a "Caught Weight"???? he doesn't mean GSP does he???????

LINKMIN

P.S. The end of the story starts talking about a possible caught weight fight or another at 205
slapshot
8/12/09 10:07:47PM
Your link is weakly related to your post, this is the news forum not the poll forum or the debate forum this should be moved.
RNC
8/12/09 10:11:35PM
The Marquardt/Maia fight will determine it all. If Marquardt beats Maia, we will certainly have to wait for a GSP/Silva fight because GSP would never jump infront of his teammate like that.

SmileR
8/12/09 10:16:15PM
GSP is a hugely talented man and with out doubt the most well rounded and athletic MMA practitioner fighting today but he doesn't cut that much weight to get down to WW.
I think he said he walks round between 180 and 185 and cuts about 15lb to fight. If you compare that to Silva who apparently walks round at about 215lb and cuts a but load of weight to fight no matter what weight they fight at Silva already has a HUGE weight advantage.

I say let Silva keep testing the waters up at 205 and maybe if GSP wants to, let him take on a smaller but talented 185 guy before being thrown in the deep end with a top P4P guy who could easily fight 2 or maybe even 3 weight classes above him.

I honestly don't see the point in this fight especially if theirs going to be such a massive size advantage. GSP has the talent to make it competitive but I don't see how he can win.

slapshot
8/12/09 10:18:59PM
Im still wondering how this belongs in the NEWS SHARE forum.
crushedbacon
8/12/09 10:56:31PM
Caught Weight....WTF....Catch weight. Between GSP and Anderson? So what like 177 or 178 then? I know Anderson can drop pounds like Dre drops beats but seriously that's ridiculous, the dude walks around at 215ish.....Unless catch weight is just referring to Anderson's world and implying GSP should take him on at 195 or something?
Nightmare27
8/12/09 11:07:24PM
I for one want to see Silva defend his belt against Hendo. He has done everything that the UFC has asked of him to get a rematch, including doing the show and making them a grip of money. His fight at 100 was supposed to be a number one contender fight and Dan was very impressive. Im tired of the UFC breaking their word when it comes to these sorts of things. Not to mention Dan is the only person to win a round against Silva, if he can stick to his gameplan and take him down and beat him up he can win. IMO.

Edit: Win a round in the UFC.
Aether
8/12/09 11:12:45PM
enh. I think that Silva is just too big and has too much reach for GSP.
Jimbo
8/13/09 4:43:35AM

Posted by RNC

The Marquardt/Maia fight will determine it all. If Marquardt beats Maia, we will certainly have to wait for a GSP/Silva fight because GSP would never jump infront of his teammate like that.

If Maia wins against Marquadt i dont think GSP vs Silva will happen anyway, I think Maia should get a shot. Or maybe Okami depending on how he looks against Sonnen

assuming Silva doesnt vacate the MW title and permanently move to LHW
State_Champ
8/13/09 8:53:08AM
GSP should (and IMO will) do everything he can to avoid this fight. I don't think this fight will happen.....but hopefully it does!
the_01
8/14/09 2:35:57AM
We all would like to see the fight, and are eagered to see the result. But, if GSP wins, this means the distruction of the best fighter the UFC has to offer, which reminds me of the Henderson-Silva fight back in Pride, which was the starting point of the downfall of Pride So, for the sake of the UFC, this fight should be delayed untill both fighter are out of their prime. For our sake, the fans, Id like to see this fight as soon as possible.
RNC
8/14/09 2:58:28AM

Posted by Jimbo

Posted by RNC

If Maia wins against Marquadt i dont think GSP vs Silva will happen anyway, I think Maia should get a shot. Or maybe Okami depending on how he looks against Sonnen

Yes. If Maia beats Marquardt, assuming Silva beats Hendo, Maia should get the next shot. But, if Marquardt wins, and the UFC desides he needs 1 more fight before he challenges for the belt, that would mean GSP wouldn't fight Anderson for at least a year from now. But hey, Hendo may beat Silva and then all of this would be irrelivent.
SociopathX
8/14/09 8:27:40PM
GSP would get killed. He's to small for Silva.
RNC
8/15/09 12:25:18AM

Posted by SociopathX

Not necessarily true. If it were GSP vs Hendo, I would give GSP zero chance, just because stylistically its a terrible match up for him. But from what we know, so far, GSP is one of the best match ups, stylistically, for Silva.

GSP is a big WW already, and he said that if he fought Silva he would bulk up. He would be at some disadvantage, but after putting on 10lbs of more mass, I don't think it would be that extreme of a factor.

jack
8/15/09 4:08:19PM

Posted by SociopathX

Didn't everyone think that about Gracie too?
adamsb
8/15/09 4:48:14PM
i think it would be a grate fight for both of them and gsp has the tools to beat silva same go for the othe way around silva will give gsp fits to this would be an amazing fight i would love to see i hope it gets put together within the next year
mkiv9secsupra
8/15/09 6:04:40PM
Anderson would just obliterate GSP, there is no point in this matchup and I doubt there will ever be a point for the matchup. GSP is THE BEST 170lb'er but I still wouldn't pick him over most of the top 185lb'ers.
Sinister
8/17/09 2:23:41PM

Posted by SmileR

GSP is a hugely talented man and with out doubt the most well rounded and athletic MMA practitioner fighting today but he doesn't cut that much weight to get down to WW.
I think he said he walks round between 180 and 185 and cuts about 15lb to fight. If you compare that to Silva who apparently walks round at about 215lb and cuts a but load of weight to fight no matter what weight they fight at Silva already has a HUGE weight advantage.

I say let Silva keep testing the waters up at 205 and maybe if GSP wants to, let him take on a smaller but talented 185 guy before being thrown in the deep end with a top P4P guy who could easily fight 2 or maybe even 3 weight classes above him.

I honestly don't see the point in this fight especially if theirs going to be such a massive size advantage. GSP has the talent to make it competitive but I don't see how he can win.

I think people like the matchup cause of GSP's amazing wrestling. Everyone knows Silva's biggest weakness is his wrestling. Thats why Henderson has been his biggest challenge for defending the title. It would either prove more that Silva doesnt need good wrestling to be the best MMA fighter or it would show that GSP is the perfect match against Silva's style
Sinister
8/17/09 2:25:18PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Anderson would just obliterate GSP, there is no point in this matchup and I doubt there will ever be a point for the matchup. GSP is THE BEST 170lb'er but I still wouldn't pick him over most of the top 185lb'ers.

By top 185 lbs, who do you mean and are you saying if he fought them at MW?

I still think MW is a weaker divison. WW is way more stacked and GSP makes them all look bad.
MisterFreeze
8/17/09 8:37:39PM

Posted by Jimbo

Posted by RNC

I wish people would quit talking about Okami getting a title shot.... It's not going to happen. The dude hasn't fought in almost 73 years... seriously, that fight wouldn't draw any PPV buys.