It is time to debate! Chuck Liddell vs. Rampage Jackson #2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » It is time to debate! Chuck Liddell vs. Rampage Jackson #2
Next Page »
BabbyHughes
2/5/07 4:17:06PM
I think this is going to be one of the fights of the year, if not, the fight of the year. I'm sure most everyone is wondering what would happen if they fought again. Now that Rampage is in the UFC under contract, our dreams will be fulfilled!
I love both of these fighters, but I think Rampage will win. These are my main reasons why I think he will beat him again.

1.I think that Rampage has an awesome style that can neutralize Chuck's dominating stand up and wrestling sprawls. Rampage has great stand up, dominant wrestling, and some crazy slams, but the biggest advantage is his willingness to stand inside "the pocket" and set up strikes for takedowns.

2.I think that right now, Rampage has a whole new reason to fight. Now that he is in the UFC, he has the money that he has been asking for, and will want to hold onto it in order to provide for his family. I think that after he lost to W. SIlva two times back to back, he lost some his fuel to fight. To me and some of my friends, it seemed that he lost some of his fuel to fight, but now I think he has all the fuel he needs in the UFC.

I know that Chuck really wants to beat Rampage and avenge that loss. I think that Chuck also improved since fighting Rampage, which is obviously shown by his back to back wins over Randy Couture. There was an obvious wrestling defense and ground defense difference seen in the 2nd and 3rd fight.

For 3 years I have been wanting to see this rematch, and its finally going to happen! This is going to be a good year in MMA.
bayonetxwork
2/5/07 4:23:11PM
This fight could easily go either way since both of them bang. They've both improved a lot since their first fight, and Rampage will definitely give Chuck a run for his money.

Chuck hasn't recently fought anyone who was really honestly willing to stand with him(Tito, Babalu, and Randy TRIED to, but they all got KTFO). Rampage has a good striking style to screw with Chuck. He has a lot of head movement, and hes light on his feet. If you look at all the fighters Chuck has knocked out recently they are all flat footed, and just standing in front of him. I think Rampage has the skills on the feet that all the other wrestlers haven't to neutralize the stand up and win on the ground, or to win on his feet. Either way it will be a great fight, but I'm calling Rampage in the 3rd by TKO.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/5/07 4:24:44PM
IMO, since 2003 Chuck has gotten better, Rampage hasnt, in fact hes gotten a little worse with a boring display against Lindland and getting beatdown by Shogun.

He did beat Eastman but the Beastman aint Liddell. If Rampage is to beat Liddell hes gotta tighten up his strikes a little but his KO power is good and his takedowns are wicked.

But ya my head says Liddell but my heart says Rampage, and my ass says poo poo
Gladiator
2/5/07 4:28:56PM
those are some pretty good points but i think chuck will win this rematch for a couple of reasons.

1) I dont think Chuck's cardio was as good back then, still not tito level but better than before, which i think makes him harder to take down along with his already amazing takedown defense. If Jackson hangs in the pocket with liddell too long he'll probably get KOd.

2) Maybe it will wear off, but jackson did say that he was nervous in his ufc debut which isnt even close to the pressure of a title fight.

3) Jackson is fighting to feed his family not for fame he claims. I think Chuck wants to hold on to that belt more than jackson wants a bigger paycheck.

The fight could definitely go either way but id put my money on the iceman
aceprone
2/5/07 4:29:41PM
I think there's a new fire is Rampages eye and we might see a fighter of the year, if he can keep winning. Rampage is stronger then Randy and Tito and has better standup. If Rampage can keep his pace going he might be able to pull a win with Chuck. And they both got good chins. In a clinch it would be a dirty boxing war!
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 4:34:09PM
i would want Rampage to win too we need a new champ already anyways....he can win,but in no way do i see an easy fight for either...

Rampage and Chuck will stand in the center of the octagon and trade blows again..but i think Chuck has improved his stand up alot since they last fought,but Page can take him down at will if he begins to get dominated trading blows,even if he has to eat one of chucks blows

Rampage....but i would never bet on it....(only play money here)
madmarck
2/5/07 4:35:38PM

Posted by Gladiator

those are some pretty good points but i think chuck will win this rematch for a couple of reasons.

1) I dont think Chuck's cardio was as good back then, still not tito level but better than before, which i think makes him harder to take down along with his already amazing takedown defense. If Jackson hangs in the pocket with liddell too long he'll probably get KOd.

2) Maybe it will wear off, but jackson did say that he was nervous in his ufc debut which isnt even close to the pressure of a title fight.

3) Jackson is fighting to feed his family not for fame he claims. I think Chuck wants to hold on to that belt more than jackson wants a bigger paycheck.

The fight could definitely go either way but id put my money on the iceman

Yeah that seems pretty good. But you never know what he call pull out of his hat. Everyone remember his Fight with Arona? That Slam was awesome.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 4:43:50PM
If Rampage can eat ..how many?? 6-7 knees to the head before going down by Wandy,he can certainly handle Chucks fists
Stickan
2/5/07 4:48:43PM

Posted by aceprone

I think there's a new fire is Rampages eye and we might see a fighter of the year, if he can keep winning. Rampage is stronger then Randy and Tito and has better standup. If Rampage can keep his pace going he might be able to pull a win with Chuck. And they both got good chins. In a clinch it would be a dirty boxing war!

Hopefully you're right. I don't think it's ringrust as much as nervousness from being as hyped up as he now is.
I'd say Rampage would take their rematch by TKO in the 3rd just as someone else predicted.

He's got a lot to give and is entertaining as hell both in the (now) octagon and outside it.
BabbyHughes
2/5/07 7:21:54PM

NEWI think there's a new fire is Rampages eye and we might see a fighter of the year, if he can keep winning.

yeah, I hope so. We will see in the next fight that he has in the UFC. I doubt we will be waiting long.
Texican
2/5/07 7:23:05PM
While I think Chuck has improved more technically and in terms of confidence , I believe styles make matchups . Rampage had a problem with the Chute Boxe guys because of the way they use the Thai clinch . It seems like he wasn't expecting Wanderlei and Shogun to be as physically stong from there as they were . Chuck doesn't use the Thai clinch as often or with the same effectiveness as those guys .
In my experience the cage makes it easier to take people down than the ring . It's also easier to hold people down so while I'm not gonna make any predictions right now , I will say things look good for Quinton .

It's gonna be a war . I can't wait !!!!
jmoooooo
2/5/07 7:31:28PM
cant wait also, but i think chuck has his number now

rampages striking didnt look great against eastman, who is smaller with a shorter reach and has more conventional striking.....and yes, rampage has great takedowns and is strong, but chucks TD defense is great and even when he ends up down he seems to find his way back up in a hurry....i dont see it being a lot different than ortiz/chuck......rampage is going to have to eat a lot of appendages (chosen at chucks discretion) to even get close to a takedown...

i like rampage, i think hes a great addition to the UFC, i want to see more of him, and i think the title fight will be awesome...but i just cant see him winning

randy - great wrestler, great takedowns, great ground and pound and was a huge LHW, and chuck beat him twice

ortiz - great wrestler, great takedowns, great ground and pound and is always in top shape, chuck beat him twice

rampage - great wrestler, great takedowns, great ground and pound........???

ive been wrong before though, and it could go either way.....but i think chuck has the edge, and would go in as the moderate favorite
AkiraTheDon
2/5/07 7:33:30PM
I tihnk chuck will take this. Rampage looked a little sloppy against eastman. Im sure by the time he fights chuck that will be cleared to though. I just think that chuck hits too hard for rampage.
Nacho
2/5/07 7:34:30PM
Chuck's best weapon... supreme confidence. The rematch will be a whole different fight from the original. I'm not sure yet on this one. I need to see more of Rampage before I lean toward him.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 7:40:23PM

Posted by jmoooooo

cant wait also, but i think chuck has his number now

rampages striking didnt look great against eastman, who is smaller with a shorter reach and has more conventional striking.....and yes, rampage has great takedowns and is strong, but chucks TD defense is great and even when he ends up down he seems to find his way back up in a hurry....i dont see it being a lot different than ortiz/chuck......rampage is going to have to eat a lot of appendages (chosen at chucks discretion) to even get close to a takedown...

i like rampage, i think hes a great addition to the UFC, i want to see more of him, and i think the title fight will be awesome...but i just cant see him winning

randy - great wrestler, great takedowns, great ground and pound and was a huge LHW, and chuck beat him twice

ortiz - great wrestler, great takedowns, great ground and pound and is always in top shape, chuck beat him twice

rampage - great wrestler, great takedowns, great ground and pound........???

ive been wrong before though, and it could go either way.....but i think chuck has the edge, and would go in as the moderate favorite

Comparing Rampage to Tito and Randy??

Rampage has more than just wrestling,takedowns,and GnP.....he has a CHIN...he dont have fear of staying in the pocket and slug it out with chuck.....Rampage is also a much better boxer than both Tito and Randy

jmoooooo
2/5/07 7:58:34PM
better boxer than randy and ortiz, yes...but good enough to stand and strike with chuck? debateable....

and randy has said ortiz has a chin, was very surprised by it in their fight, said he landed clean, flush shots and ortiz was still all there. im not an ortiz fan by any stretch, but he took shots from wanderlei silva and won......

saying that someone who chuck knocks out doesnt have a chin is like saying someone who gets submitted by BJ obviously has no ground game......
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 8:05:23PM

Posted by jmoooooo

better boxer than randy and ortiz, yes...but good enough to stand and strike with chuck? debateable....

and randy has said ortiz has a chin, was very surprised by it in their fight, said he landed clean, flush shots and ortiz was still all there. im not an ortiz fan by any stretch, but he took shots from wanderlei silva and won......

saying that someone who chuck knocks out doesnt have a chin is like saying someone who gets submitted by BJ obviously has no ground game......

Tito may have an o right chin,but he dont have the balls to stand with chuck in the pocket...he gets hit once and he falls to the ground in turtle position....Tito is also scared to go for a takedown from the inside where i know Rampage wont be affraid to get close to chuck

i know they have a good chin for anyone else....but this is a Chuck VS Rampage thread.....and for chuck they dont have a chin...Rampage can eat Chucks punches and keep going(take a lickin and keep on tickin)
jmoooooo
2/5/07 8:15:20PM
ortiz did stand in the pocket...of course, he got knocked out...........

but we'll have to wait and see....but my money is on chuck, and that seems to be the general consensus............

mmaweekly.com LHW rankings as of January 30/2007

#1 Light Heavyweight Fighter in the World: Chuck Liddell

2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

3. Wanderlei Silva

4. Ricardo Arona

5. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

6. Renato "Babalu" Sobral

7. Quinton Jackson

8. Tito Ortiz

9. Kazuhiro Nakamura

10. Alistair Overeem

not saying i agree with those rankings 100%, but im also hardly as involved in mma as the people who came up with them.

Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 8:33:37PM

Posted by jmoooooo

but we'll have to wait and see....but my money is on chuck, and that seems to be the general consensus............

2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

3. Wanderlei Silva

4. Ricardo Arona

7. Quinton Jackson

8. Tito Ortiz

9. Kazuhiro Nakamura

10. Alistair Overeem

not saying i agree with those rankings 100%, but im also hardly as involved in mma as the people who came up with them.

ok...now remove all the pride fighters and Quinton is pretty much 2nd in the UFC since Sobral already got his shot and failed
aceprone
2/5/07 8:40:43PM
I just can't wait to see this fight happen! No matter who's the victor I just hope it's a war, like the first time they fought!
hippysmacker
2/5/07 8:46:38PM
I agree that Chuck has gottten better and is undefeated since then. Rampage ( IMO) has never recovered from the Wandy KO's mentally. 2 completely different figher's now. To me it would be the same as putting the Wandy vs Vitor fight on today. Some people progress, some regress. Rampage has a new trainer( so it's possible I'm wrong) but I doubt it. Wandy should take a rematch with Vitor, I think Chuck should take a rematch with Rampage.
BrAeDeN91
2/5/07 10:45:54PM
chuck hits too hard and has alot of confidence on his side since he lost to rampage the first time. i say chuck by ko.
jmoooooo
2/5/07 11:35:51PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by jmoooooo

2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

3. Wanderlei Silva

4. Ricardo Arona

7. Quinton Jackson

8. Tito Ortiz

9. Kazuhiro Nakamura

10. Alistair Overeem

ok...now remove all the pride fighters and Quinton is pretty much 2nd in the UFC since Sobral already got his shot and failed

sure, hes #2 in the UFC, i wont deny that....but chuck walked through sobral twice and ortiz twice without ever being in danger, the fighters ranked before and after rampage.....im not saying that the rankings are dead on, but there is a skill difference when it comes to comparing the two fighters (rampage/chuck)...hes #2 in the ufc, but hes a long ways off skill wise.......

again, before anyone flames me

i really like rampage
hes a great addition to the UFC
he will make for interesting and exciting fights
i cant wait to see him fight anybody in the division

all im saying is i dont think rampage has the skills/mental fortitude to beat chuck.

8 times out of 10 chuck wins this fight by stuffing takedowns and countering
JunCTion
2/5/07 11:45:00PM
i agree totally with jmoooooo with one addition.
replace rampages name with anybody in the ufc. they don't have the skills/mental fortitude to beat chuck and 8 times out of 10 chuck beats anyone. the only one that could truly bring chuck down is wandy
jmoooooo
2/5/07 11:48:07PM
wandy/chuck would be amazing........i think its more of a tossup than anything....id love to see it..that would be a serious war
JunCTion
2/5/07 11:52:46PM
serious war is right, especially if it was under pride rules. hey, do you think they will ever allow knees and kicks to the head to a downed opponent in the us
Thalzaar
2/6/07 12:19:15AM
After Rampage's performance in the last UFC, he is not ready for a title shot against Chuck just yet. There is a lot of pressure on him to take out Chuck, which is sorta why Dana brought him in. I would like to see him with a couple more fights first to get more comfortable and build a little momentum. Chuck's last few fights were fought in his favor. Tito and Babalu basically fought chuck's fight, which was the wrong thing to do. They are ground game fighters, but they let thier ego's take over and try to knockout, the knockout guy.

Rampage, once he builds some confidence is the perfect fight for Chuck. Both are good standup and Rampage can definately "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'" as he said. Let's not forget Rampage's infamous slams.

Rampage by suplex.
jmoooooo
2/6/07 12:20:21AM
NSAC, or any other state governing body, would never allow it. Ive never been a fan of knees/kicks to the head of a downed opponent anyway..........so im not missing much
Trapt1nw0nder
2/6/07 12:55:47AM

Posted by jmoooooo

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by jmoooooo

2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

3. Wanderlei Silva

4. Ricardo Arona

7. Quinton Jackson

8. Tito Ortiz

9. Kazuhiro Nakamura

10. Alistair Overeem

sure, hes #2 in the UFC, i wont deny that....but chuck walked through sobral twice and ortiz twice without ever being in danger, the fighters ranked before and after rampage.....im not saying that the rankings are dead on, but there is a skill difference when it comes to comparing the two fighters (rampage/chuck)...hes #2 in the ufc, but hes a long ways off skill wise.......

again, before anyone flames me

i really like rampage
hes a great addition to the UFC
he will make for interesting and exciting fights
i cant wait to see him fight anybody in the division

all im saying is i dont think rampage has the skills/mental fortitude to beat chuck.

8 times out of 10 chuck wins this fight by stuffing takedowns and countering

when it comes to rampage, you can toss the skill out of the window...he is Tough! you can have all the skill in the world but it wont get you anywhere if you aint tough.....Tito has all the skill in the world,but when it comes down to it he's just not tough enough Physically and Mentally

and you say Chuck will stuff his takedowns and counter.....first of all chuck Hits hard..we all know that but his striking is not as good as people think it is...even Tito was outboxing chuck till chuck finally landed something and tito would back off or fall and go into fetal position......Rampage wont budge..he wont go fetal on us..he's gonna throw back and then we will see what chuck has

chucks takedown defense is worthless if Rampage picks him up off the ground and slams him...he most likely wont do it and waste his energy,but if he is in trouble and chuck is getting the better of him he can take chuck down at will

Before you start flaming..I love chuck..and i think he is one of the best right now.but rampage has his # and i just dont think chuck will be ready

8 out of 10 times Rampage beats Chuck...
Svartorm
2/6/07 1:03:37AM
I call Rampage in the 4th via GnP, and heres why:

Hes got a great chin

His stand up style helps negate looping punches, which is what helped him last time against Chuck, and this hasn't changed since the last fight.

Hes much younger than Chuck, and is generally in better shape when he trains.

He has the skills to take Chuck down, and keep him down. The last time Chuck was taken to the ground and kept there, it was against.....Rampage, who he lost to. The time before that, it was against Randy, who he lost to.

Rampage is a smart fighter on the ground. Hes one of the few guys that really works the body on the ground, which will hurt Chuck later in the fight, and what won him the fight last time.

He trains with Tito, who has fought Chuck recently, and will help Rampage overcome him.

Now, a really big one that no one has mentioned. Rampage has the potential to be a fan favorite, even over Chuck. If he gets a few big wins and some mic time, he'll be a star. In the late rounds of a title fight, if he can impose his will, and get the fans to rally behind him, that could really take Chuck out of his game and be the last nail in the casket.

Pages: [1] 2 3