Does Tim Sylvia like being Hated???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Does Tim Sylvia like being Hated???
Next Page »
POLL: Do you hate Tim Sylvia?
Yesss! I hope he gets KTFO soon! 35% (19)
Yes...a little bit 19% (10)
No Way...I love the guy!! 9% (5)
No..he's alright 26% (14)
I dont really care... 11% (6)
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 9:30:34AM
is it just me or does Tim like to be hated??

he keeps saying "i dont know what i have to do to get people's respect"

and at the same time he keeps talking trash about people..."im gonna knock your ass out".(both to Brandon vera and Randy)

why the hell would he disrespect Randy like that? Randy has said nothing but good stuff about him when commentating......i dunno,but insulting Randy and kicking him while he's down(old age..coming back form 2 ko's) is pretty low by Tim

EEKS
2/17/07 10:49:41AM
I think his comments toward randy were caused due to the fact that tim actually had alot of respect towards randy and kinda looked up to him, all of a sudden randy is criticising tims fight, he feels a little betrayed, then again sometimes big tim just cant shut his mouth
Mayo
2/17/07 11:52:13AM
Tim hates to be hated. He honestly doesn't know what to do to earn the fans respect. I think part of the lack of respect for Tim is that he is not a very aggresive fighter, and doesn't have a very aggresive personality - essentially he is boring. So maybe TIm is trying to redefine who he is by talking a little trash etc. Look at Tito - it's a love em or hate em thing. But that's what makes him exciting. If Tim somehow becomes a badass then he might get people excited about him. However its kind of hard to change things once people already have stereotyped you.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 12:07:35PM

Posted by Mayo

Tim hates to be hated. He honestly doesn't know what to do to earn the fans respect. I think part of the lack of respect for Tim is that he is not a very aggresive fighter, and doesn't have a very aggresive personality - essentially he is boring. So maybe TIm is trying to redefine who he is by talking a little trash etc. Look at Tito - it's a love em or hate em thing. But that's what makes him exciting. If Tim somehow becomes a badass then he might get people excited about him. However its kind of hard to change things once people already have stereotyped you.

i agree...tim f$cked up...he cant do anything different anymore since everyone has already judged him
when he beat arlovski the second time and was crying after the fight...i dont know..i just didnt feel it.....i kinda thought he was faking it to get people to like him,which made me hate him even more!

poor timmy.....I hope he gets KTFO gentley
aceprone
2/17/07 12:39:09PM
I don't think Tim likes being hated. I really don't think anyone does. I think Tim is being genuine when it came to him crying when he won the belt. He has been through alot to regain that title. He beat a guy twice in a row that should of beaten him 9 out of 10 times. I;m not a big fan of Tim and I think his comments on Randy are quite just really. He did get beat twice by Chuck and then thinks he can take on Tim. There's nothing wrong with that logic. Tim should feel comfortabe that he should win a fight no matter who he is facing. Randy's comments bothered him, and that's fine he has that right and has the right to say what he wants back. I just think Tim rubs people the wrong way because he is isn't what everyone wants him to be.....Arvloski.....
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 12:56:09PM

Posted by aceprone

I don't think Tim likes being hated. I really don't think anyone does. I think Tim is being genuine when it came to him crying when he won the belt. He has been through alot to regain that title. He beat a guy twice in a row that should of beaten him 9 out of 10 times. I;m not a big fan of Tim and I think his comments on Randy are quite just really. He did get beat twice by Chuck and then thinks he can take on Tim. There's nothing wrong with that logic. Tim should feel comfortabe that he should win a fight no matter who he is facing. Randy's comments bothered him, and that's fine he has that right and has the right to say what he wants back. I just think Tim rubs people the wrong way because he is isn't what everyone wants him to be.....Arvloski.....

so you voted for him to get KTFO soon?
hippysmacker
2/17/07 1:53:21PM

Posted by aceprone

Also, we can't leave out the overwhelming possibility that he is hyping the fight. Randy's my all-time favorite fighter, but even I think he's a huge underdog in this case.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 2:03:28PM
what i hate about tim is that he promises fireworks,and all we get is a wet fuse!
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/17/07 2:57:54PM
I dont see why everyone hates on this guy the guy is an awesome fighter I think its sick that he came back from the roids and got the title back that proved alot.So his last two fights he was a lil cautious he was fighting Jeff Monson one of the best grapplers out there Tim is not known for his grappling would you wanna make a mistake against a guy like Monson?Tim's sprawl was awesome that night.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 3:20:56PM

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

I dont see why everyone hates on this guy the guy is an awesome fighter I think its sick that he came back from the roids and got the title back that proved alot.So his last two fights he was a lil cautious he was fighting Jeff Monson one of the best grapplers out there Tim is not known for his grappling would you wanna make a mistake against a guy like Monson?Tim's sprawl was awesome that night.

you got me wrong buddy,i dont hate Sylvia for that reason,nor dought his skills

i just hate the person he is outside the cage

if you find threads all around these forums all you hear is praise from me on Tims skill
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/17/07 3:29:00PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

you got me wrong buddy,i dont hate Sylvia for that reason,nor dought his skills

i just hate the person he is outside the cage

if you find threads all around these forums all you hear is praise from me on Tims skill

I wasnt pointing anyone out its just alot off people disrespect him alot and I dont see why.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 3:33:29PM
Im probably gonna get flamed for this,

For some reason that I just can't point out just really makes me dislike Tim Silvia. Maybe its the way he talks, his fight style, his attitude, I just can't pin point why I dislike the guy.

Give me REASONS PEOPLE!!! lol
Trapt1nw0nder
2/17/07 3:52:13PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

For some reason that I just can't point out just really makes me dislike Tim Silvia. Maybe its the way he talks, his fight style, his attitude, I just can't pin point why I dislike the guy.

Because he looks like Grimace...
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Dadaman
2/17/07 6:15:10PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Because he looks like Grimace...

BWHAHAHAAHHA! oh my god i can't stop laughing.

Sylvia is just a big goofy looking boring striker, thats why a lot of people don't like him. As oppossed to Arlovski who was a huge and absolutely shredded exciting striker with good looks.

That is all.
Someguy
2/17/07 6:46:22PM

Because he's not an awesome fighter; he's a cookie cutter Miletich fighter, medicore at best and has fought medicore fighters his entire career with few exceptions. 'It's sick he came back from 'roids'? You speak as if he had cancer or some shit, instead of being caught abusing a preformance enhancing drug, as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't even be letting him fight professionally. Also saying Monson is one of the best grapplers out there is laughable, espeically considering his preformance against Tim (of all people) that night.

Why should you like Randy? Because he's a humble fighter with class, something Tim just doesn't seem to be able to grasp, and probably never will.
hippysmacker
2/17/07 6:54:23PM

Posted by Someguy

Because he's not an awesome fighter; he's a cookie cutter Miletich fighter, medicore at best and has fought medicore fighters his entire career with few exceptions. 'It's sick he came back from 'roids'? You speak as if he had cancer or some shit, instead of being caught abusing a preformance enhancing drug, as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't even be letting him fight professionally. Also saying Monson is one of the best grapplers out there is laughable, espeically considering his preformance against Tim (of all people) that night.

Why should you like Randy? Because he's a humble fighter with class, something Tim just doesn't seem to be able to grasp, and probably never will.

While I agree about Randy( my all-time favorite fighter) I have to disagree with you on Monson. I don't think he's a great MMA fighter, but he is a great grappler. He is an Abu-dabi champion. Universally recognized as the most prestigious grappling tournament worldwide. Don't get much better than that.
MMA
2/17/07 7:04:31PM
Sylvia was a bad motherf*cker before he got comfortable with the belt. When Mir broke his arm and said he could have a rematch another day, Sylvia was like "no, we'll do it now."

Everyone was on Sylvia's nuts back in the day because he was knocking out everyone: Rodriguez, McGee, Telligman (via head kick), and who could forget the beating he gave to Correira. Hell, he made that huge comeback when he got knocked down again by Arlovski early on and then came back with a KO of his own.

Sylvia was hungry back then, but now he has settled in and let all that ego cripple his performance. He wants respect, but he wants to keep the belt more.
Someguy
2/17/07 7:15:49PM
One thing I can give Tim props for was having his arm broken and not really giving a shit, wanting to continue the fight. I'd say that takes balls.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/19/07 1:32:14PM

Posted by hippysmacker
While I agree about Randy( my all-time favorite fighter) I have to disagree with you on Monson. I don't think he's a great MMA fighter, but he is a great grappler. He is an Abu-dabi champion. Universally recognized as the most prestigious grappling tournament worldwide. Don't get much better than that.

Try to arm bar someone while they are punching you in the face

-Bas Rutten

agreed Monson is a great grappler, but mma requires much more. Another example Stephen Leko
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/07 3:32:16PM
These are the 2 biggest problems I see with Big Tim:

1. He is just that, huge... No one is going to assume that the giant in the ring (with an actual MMA skillset) is going to get beat, therefore his opponents are always the underdogs...
To make things worse, when you have to go to a decision against that underdog, people are not going to be happy with your lack of aggretion when they already thought that you had the fight in the bag because of your shear size...

2. He runs his mouth and then doesn't back it up... We all expect him to get in there and get the KO, and he says he will, but then everything seems to go arye once he steps in the cage...

I guess it's difficult to give props to a 6'8" giant that can't finish of a 5' nothin little chicken nugget like Monson.
seeger1
2/19/07 3:39:36PM
Tim just wants to keep the title,whatever it takes.The way i see it,it's up to his challenger to take the fight to Tim.Not the other way around.Tim shouldn't be hated for that.Put a good enough challenger in there and this fighter might be beaten.
As for Tim's next fight.I love Randy and he has been brilliant for UFC and the representation of any title he has held.But i can't see him getting any further with Tim than he got with Chuck,and that involves Randy being knocked out.
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/07 3:41:19PM

Posted by seeger1

Tim just wants to keep the title,whatever it takes.The way i see it,it's up to his challenger to take the fight to Tim.Not the other way around.Tim shouldn't be hated for that.Put a good enough challenger in there and this fighter might be beaten.
As for Tim's next fight.I love Randy and he has been brilliant for UFC and the representation of any title he has held.But i can't see him getting any further with Tim than he got with Chuck,and that involves Randy being knocked out.

He (Randy) did pretty well against Chuck the first time they fought...

Personally, after that, I will never count Couture out of a fight...
JoeMimic
2/19/07 3:59:18PM
Monson is a great grappler; it's hard to grapple someone who's got such a height and reach advantage when all you can do is try and take him down. Monson couldn't stand and strike with him and Tim's length kept him having to shoot for his legs from way outside which tired him out rather quickly. Randy has the right gameplan I would think for a guy who isn't going to be able to strike against Tim; get inside and work for a takedown. When you do get Sylvia to the ground it's tough to execute any GNP because he is so long that in his guard you can't reach his head.

I think the best way to submit Tim is first getting him to the ground which is a task in itself; don't take anything away from Tim his sprawl is pretty good. Once you have him to the ground I don't see anyone GNP'ing their way to victory I think you have to use his biggest advantage (his size and length) against him and go for armbars and leglocks. He's got long arms and long legs just waiting to be grabbed and I think the risk of losing position by going for a leg lock is negated by Tim's speed and the fact that he doesn't want to be on the ground so even if he gets away chances are he's not going to get on top of you. He'd rather back off and stand things up.
BabbyHughes
2/19/07 11:31:11PM

Posted by MMA

Sylvia was a bad motherf*cker before he got comfortable with the belt. When Mir broke his arm and said he could have a rematch another day, Sylvia was like "no, we'll do it now."

Everyone was on Sylvia's nuts back in the day because he was knocking out everyone: Rodriguez, McGee, Telligman (via head kick), and who could forget the beating he gave to Correira. Hell, he made that huge comeback when he got knocked down again by Arlovski early on and then came back with a KO of his own.

Sylvia was hungry back then, but now he has settled in and let all that ego cripple his performance. He wants respect, but he wants to keep the belt more.

I dont think he is very entertaining, and I dont like his personality. I agree, he was exciting earlier in his career.

Its far more entertaining and respectful to watch someone go out and push the pace, throwing everything they can to KO someone. Its far more boring when someone circles and counters the entire fight, while doing short jabs for 25min.

I miss Arlovski....
OB_Juan
2/20/07 1:20:50AM
Tim was very hungry for that belt and was knocking people out all day long. Then once he got the belt back he was fighting just to keep it, not to entertain. He lost the title once and didn't want it to happen again. I think Randy made a mistake by re-lighting the fire under Tim's ass.
JunCTion
2/20/07 10:33:15AM

Posted by OB_Juan

Tim was very hungry for that belt and was knocking people out all day long. Then once he got the belt back he was fighting just to keep it, not to entertain. He lost the title once and didn't want it to happen again. I think Randy made a mistake by re-lighting the fire under Tim's ass.

1st - its not that tim likes being hated, he simply doesnt care what people think of him (fighters or fans),
2nd - he talks himself up to be the best fighter out there (when talking about the randy fight did you here him say he was a harder, faster,better striker that chuck)
3rd - like you said, hes been fighting just to keep the belt which is why hes low on the rankings.
4th - randy probably did light a fire but i dont know if it will make a difference. if he can avoid the heavy punches and keep the takedown pressure on him (AA & monson didnt) maybe he can wear tim down.

do you think if it drags out to a decision and hes defensive and not aggresive that the judges will go randys way (you know hes gonna be aggressive the whole fight.)

last ? can randy take him down easily and/or is he strong enough to keep tim down long enough to ground & pound & look for a submission?
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 2:42:41PM
its pretty much a tie...i honestly thought about 80% of the votes would of been choice #1...
loller90278
2/20/07 2:50:40PM
tims fan appreciation is in increments/waves...2 months ago about 90% would have said they'd love to see him get KTFO.. now ppl are startin to appreciate his skill..early in his career everyone thought he was a monster, we'll see how he performs in the couture fight to see peoples next feeling about tim
OB_Juan
2/20/07 2:53:18PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by OB_Juan

1st - its not that tim likes being hated, he simply doesnt care what people think of him (fighters or fans),
2nd - he talks himself up to be the best fighter out there (when talking about the randy fight did you here him say he was a harder, faster,better striker that chuck)
3rd - like you said, hes been fighting just to keep the belt which is why hes low on the rankings.
4th - randy probably did light a fire but i dont know if it will make a difference. if he can avoid the heavy punches and keep the takedown pressure on him (AA & monson didnt) maybe he can wear tim down.

do you think if it drags out to a decision and hes defensive and not aggresive that the judges will go randys way (you know hes gonna be aggressive the whole fight.)

last ? can randy take him down easily and/or is he strong enough to keep tim down long enough to ground & pound & look for a submission?

I'm not sure what your point is here but if you're picking Randy then I'll be happy to do some wagering w/ you once I get some funds freed up this weekend.

I think you're wrong on your first 2 points. Tim DOES care what the fans think. Look at him post Monson fight. He was totally bummed out by their response. And pretty much ALL fighters have to talk themselves up in one way or another. How many fighters would be successful if they weren't confident? They all do it in different ways. And I happen to agree that Tim does in fact hit harder and I think his boxing is more technical than Chuck's looping counter punching. Faster than Chuck? No.

But if Tim does hurt an opponent he's on top of them finishing immediately, usually that is. IMO Tim should have finished Monson in the first 2 rounds, but then I also think Chuck should have finished Horn in rd 1.
OB_Juan
2/20/07 2:58:08PM

Posted by loller90278

...we'll see how he performs in the couture fight to see peoples next feeling about tim

I don't think Tim can win this scenario. If he KOs Randy then he will have likely re-retired one of the most beloved fighters in UFC history. But if he doesn't finish Randy he'll get crap for going to decision. If he loses to Randy he will be called a lucky, no talent guy who has been exposed. I'm not even surehe would get respect if he took Randy down andout wrestled him because it would be "just because he's so big". I do not envy Tim's position in this fight.

Pages: [1] 2