Tim Sylvia is a five time UFC Heavyweight Champion? Who knew?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Tim Sylvia is a five time UFC Heavyweight Champion? Who knew?
Scott_Revels
10/27/07 6:52:24PM
Tim's Website

Just thought it was interesting to see how highly he thinks of himself. Just to make sure, he is only a two time UFC Heavyweight Champion right?
adamsb
10/27/07 6:58:03PM
no he is the 5 time ufc champ they count the number of title fights u have
Scott_Revels
10/27/07 7:03:06PM
That's not cool. He should only be a five time champion if he lost it four times, and won it five.
tuvok500
10/27/07 7:03:48PM
yes five times !!!

Scott_Revels
10/27/07 7:07:03PM
Then i'm the 492 time Post Count Champion.
Stickan
10/27/07 7:18:01PM
There has always been a discussion about this. I think what's best is that you count wins in title fights.
Otherwise a 1-time champion can be way more impressive than a 4 or 5-time champ.

He beat Ricco to become the champ
He beat Gan McGee to retain the belt
He beat Arlovski to become the champ
He beat Arlovski again to retain the belt
He beat Monson to retain the belt.

That's five.
Mastodon2
10/27/07 7:23:33PM
Yeah Sylvia is a 5 time champ. Granted, he is not exactly an exciting fighter, but I do think that sometimes he is given no credit simply because for whatever reason (and there are a few) people just don't like him. Fair enough, I can understand people not liking him, but it does annoy me when people act like he doesnt exist, or his accomplishments mean nothing.

One thing is for sure though, I wouldn't take the diet or training advice from his site, it doesn't exactly have Tim looking in peak form!
Scott_Revels
10/27/07 7:34:37PM
I mean, I don't mind it just makes it seem like he's won the title five times, not won it twice and defended it three times.
MALICE
10/27/07 8:54:57PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Yeah Sylvia is a 5 time champ. Granted, he is not exactly an exciting fighter, but I do think that sometimes he is given no credit simply because for whatever reason (and there are a few) people just don't like him. Fair enough, I can understand people not liking him, but it does annoy me when people act like he doesnt exist, or his accomplishments mean nothing.

One thing is for sure though, I wouldn't take the diet or training advice from his site, it doesn't exactly have Tim looking in peak form!

I don't understand Why he gets no credit and all of the boos. Like he said to Rogan, "Cant get no love.". And he cant. He does deserve respect. He is a good fighter.
cmill21
10/27/07 9:09:30PM
To me he's like Semmy schilt, lacking skill but has more then enough size to make up for it.
Sam_Rothstein
10/27/07 9:15:27PM
I wonder why everyone hates Sylvia. Hes a really cool guy everytime i see him at local events here in iowa. He even let my step dad wear his belt

I also think it is cool that they count title defenses, that is one thing that boxing never did

spikerman19
10/27/07 10:17:17PM
if you think about it he has been in 8! title fights
roadking95th
10/27/07 11:34:54PM
I did. Think about it. Everytime you defend or fight for the belt, it is on the line. When he retains the belt, he is crowned champion again.
ChokeUout
10/27/07 11:41:29PM
Personally, I consider atwo time champion somebody who has two different reigns as champion. For example, Matt Hughes has two reigns as champion, and has 7 title defences in that time. But myself, I consider him a two time champion, not a 9 time champion. Same rule applies to Tim. I consider him a two time champion, not a 5 time champion.

However, i know there's others who disagree with that, and I understand their reasons. But To me, Randy Couture is the only 5 time champion the UFC has had
Pitbull09
10/27/07 11:51:45PM
I think that is lame to same hes a five time champ. But I hate when certian people are like 3 time champs. That doesnt make them good usually, it just means their not consist to hold the title. After you count the number of times you held the title, they should then judge you by number of defenses to see how great of a champ you were.
hook_tothe_body
10/28/07 1:01:55AM

Posted by ChokeUout

Personally, I consider atwo time champion somebody who has two different reigns as champion. For example, Matt Hughes has two reigns as champion, and has 7 title defences in that time. But myself, I consider him a two time champion, not a 9 time champion. Same rule applies to Tim. I consider him a two time champion, not a 5 time champion.

However, i know there's others who disagree with that, and I understand their reasons. But To me, Randy Couture is the only 5 time champion the UFC has had

I agree with everything choke you the f[beep]k out said.
GrandMaster313
10/28/07 1:03:38AM

Posted by adamsb

no he is the 5 time ufc champ they count the number of title fights u have

well if that is true I wonder how many Chuck Liddell has??? He was Champ for a Looooooooooong ass time
ChokeUout
10/28/07 1:41:16PM
Chuck Won it once, defended it four times.
ohiostate1016
10/28/07 2:28:57PM
Reminds me of wrestler Booker T: "Five time WCW champion." He said that years after WCW went down the tube...
keith-hackney1
10/28/07 4:19:40PM
cool, that means randy couture is the ufc's 10 time ufc champion, 7 time heavyweight, and 3 time light heavyweight, beat that tim ...... !!!!!!
tuvok500
10/28/07 6:12:22PM
every times a champ is fighting for the title, in fact there are no champ untill the end of the fight, so even if you arrive with the belt, you lose it before the fight and win it again after the fight !! well, only of you win the fight !! LOL

easy !!