Tim Sylvia: Brock Wrong For The Sport

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tim Sylvia: Brock Wrong For The Sport
DCRage
12/16/08 4:22:57PM
While making sure to compliment him in recent comments, former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia still thinks that new UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar got pushed too hard too fast and that it hurts UFC's and MMA's credibility.

Article
motorboatensob
12/16/08 4:46:50PM
Why everyone keeps calling him a WWE wrestler that's what he did do now he is a MMA fighter. If Tim used to be a garbage man should we say well the former garbage man Tim Sylvia. The only reason Tim wants to cut Brock down is Randy beat him down and Brock was able to stop Randy in the second round. Tim wants nothing to do with Brock nuff said.
Twenty20Dollars
12/16/08 4:58:02PM
Brock isnt bad for the sport if he keeps improving. Maybe Sylvia was bad for the UFC. I think Sylvia is bad for the sport because it doesnt seem like he is improving his game and Lesnar keeps improving.
warglory
12/16/08 5:08:20PM
Anyone who can eliminate Randy Couture in convincing fashion is not bad for MMA. Ridiculous attitude to have if you ask me.
Wolfenstein
12/16/08 5:19:45PM
I don't think Brock is wrong for the sport, but I do think it hurt's the UFC and MMA's credibility giving a title shot to a guy 2-1.

Granted boxing and MMA are completely different sports, but could you imagine Wladimir Klitschko fighting someone 2-1 for the title? Of course not, it would make a laughing-stock of the HW division.

Obviously credibility doesn't mean a lot though, as UFC 91 was a huge success. I just think its credibility suffered, because the UFC is making a statement, "You don't have to earn title shots or prove you're the best, just sell PPV's."
higdon10
12/16/08 5:23:00PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I don't think Brock is wrong for the sport, but I do think it hurt's the UFC and MMA's credibility giving a title shot to a guy 2-1.

bls1919
12/16/08 5:53:25PM
Tim is way out of line here IMO. I am pretty sure that with his last two fights he proved that he belongs. Even with only 4 fights Brock is hitting a stride in the octagon. He is getting more patient and calculated. I was a big opponenet of his coming intot he UFC. Timmahh would get pummeled by Brock. I would love to see that fight.
Gipper
12/16/08 6:01:46PM
i'm not a fan of lesnar at all in fact i hate the guy but nobody including tim sylvia can say this guy is bad for the sport. anyone who is as good as brock lesnar (even if he is a jackass) is good for the sport and the ufc. the guy is an unreal athlete who is becoming more of a mixed martial artist everyday and he's already beat 2 pioneer's of the sport in his 3rd and 4th mma fights. who knows what this guy is capable of.
for the record i think nog will sub lesnar after he deals with mir and also lesnar would rip sylvia apart so timmy better hoipe they never fight.
mrsmiley
12/16/08 6:26:11PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by Wolfenstein

jiujitsufreak74
12/16/08 6:30:00PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by Wolfenstein

imo the ends justify the means. he was the best man for the job, and he proved it when he decimated Randy. to me, the challenger could be 0-100, as long as he is the one who has the best chance to beat the champion (of course, it is likely that if you are 0-100 you are not the best man for the job), he deserves a shot. and that is exactly what happened with Brock.
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
12/16/08 9:36:47PM
I' m with Timmy on this one. I read the article earlier today, the title is misleading.

I think it’s wrong for the sport. I don’t think he’s got enough credibility yet. Obviously anything can happen in the sport, and he beat a great guy, but s--t, he’s only had four fights.
Bowen50
12/16/08 10:24:54PM

Posted by Gipper

i'm not a fan of lesnar at all in fact i hate the guy but nobody including tim sylvia can say this guy is bad for the sport. anyone who is as good as brock lesnar (even if he is a jackass) is good for the sport and the ufc. the guy is an unreal athlete who is becoming more of a mixed martial artist everyday and he's already beat 2 pioneer's of the sport in his 3rd and 4th mma fights. who knows what this guy is capable of.
for the record i think nog will sub lesnar after he deals with mir and also lesnar would rip sylvia apart so timmy better hoipe they never fight.

my thoughts exactly
HumanTarget
12/17/08 10:53:14AM
The only thing wrong with Brock being in the sport is his nut huggers. They claim he is the best and can beat anyone.
MikeyG
12/17/08 11:15:05AM
i just became a sylvia fan

booooooo to dana and randy for letting this interim champ (yes interim champ because nog is the real champ) hold UFC gold

ps this has nothing to do with wwe so dont even bother...
Aaronno9
12/17/08 11:35:39AM
I agree with Timmy. A 2-1 guy should never of been given the title shot and thats that.
kaduey
12/17/08 12:35:58PM

Posted by Aaronno9

I agree with Timmy. A 2-1 guy should never of been given the title shot and thats that.

The best guy should be the champ. If Brock is the best then all the power to him for being so at 2-1. If he beats Nog (who I guarantee will beat Mir) then no more haters on this guys credibility.
Aaronno9
12/17/08 12:44:29PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by Aaronno9

The best guy should be the champ. If Brock is the best then all the power to him for being so at 2-1. If he beats Nog (who I guarantee will beat Mir) then no more haters on this guys credibility.

Im not a hater. I think Brocks incredibly talented, even if he is a little rough around the edges. I dont think any fighter, regardless of skill, background, or previous occupation deserves a title shot at 2-1. Unless its like they loose to nog, then beat fedor and Andrei or something along those lines. Not beating a journeyman and a nobody with a defeat in between.
The-Don
12/17/08 2:37:27PM
Anyone Recall Randy's record when he fought for his first title? What Was anderson Silva's UFC record when he got his title?

Its should not be just about record.. but as stated before is the person capable of doing the job and holding thier own in the fight, they should get the chance.. espically since really there was no one else available to take the fight with Randy. Give Brock Credit.. He is the UFC HW Champ. He was given a trial by Fire and so far is passing.. He did get burned a little but he seems to have learned from it. Now we'll see who is going to Win between Mir and Nog. The winner is going to give Brock his biggest test over all.. Will he face Mir the one guy who has already beat him and be able to avoid making another mistake? Or will he face nog who is the #2 HW in the world right now. If Brock can win either fight. He has proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt.. Even if he were to lose he has proven he belongs in MMA, he still has a lot to learn but I think 2-3 years from now he will be either still holding the belt or have re-earned it back. And if Brock does go against Nog and some how finish him. Dana better get a fight with Fedor cause even Fedor could not finish Nog.
MikeyG
12/17/08 4:33:52PM

Posted by The-Don

Anyone Recall Randy's record when he fought for his first title? What Was anderson Silva's UFC record when he got his title?

Its should not be just about record.. but as stated before is the person capable of doing the job and holding thier own in the fight, they should get the chance.. espically since really there was no one else available to take the fight with Randy. Give Brock Credit.. He is the UFC HW Champ. He was given a trial by Fire and so far is passing.. He did get burned a little but he seems to have learned from it. Now we'll see who is going to Win between Mir and Nog. The winner is going to give Brock his biggest test over all.. Will he face Mir the one guy who has already beat him and be able to avoid making another mistake? Or will he face nog who is the #2 HW in the world right now. If Brock can win either fight. He has proven himself beyond a shadow of a doubt.. Even if he were to lose he has proven he belongs in MMA, he still has a lot to learn but I think 2-3 years from now he will be either still holding the belt or have re-earned it back. And if Brock does go against Nog and some how finish him. Dana better get a fight with Fedor cause even Fedor could not finish Nog.

even all that cant disguise the fact that he was 1-1 upon a title shot and thats a slap in the face to the sport and the guys who have been in this sport and the UFC forever and couldnt get their dues but brock gets it off his name, its b/s no matter what topping you or anyone else puts on it
PolishPride
1/27/09 11:00:22PM
Someone sounds a little jealous!
telnights
1/27/09 11:13:53PM
This is coming from the guy that thinks it would be a good match up for him and Ken Shamrock to fight.
keith-hackney1
1/28/09 4:29:35PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Spot on !!! Timmy has a valid argument, who gets a title shot after 1-1 record in the UFC. NO - ONE does. Every fighter, unless you are chuck liddell had to work their ways up the ranks from the bottom of the pile. Why the hell did brock serpass the likes of up and comers like gonzaga, carwin, kongo and werdum ??
I think the answer lays with dana white, He wanted couture out of the belt picture, he knew brock would pummel couture off the podium. A cheap shot either way you look at it. Now all eyes on on mir to salvage back the respect and honour this sport still has to offer. Brocks immediate entrance in the UFC has damaged MMA.
mrsmiley
1/28/09 5:08:29PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by Wolfenstein

I second that.

Brock has got talent,but when the biggest MMA org in the world has a heavy weight champion that doesn't even have 10 fights under his belt,well that doesn't speak much for the division.
(don't get me wrong the UFC has a lot of amazing HW's,but from an outside perspective it can't look good)

They simply did it because Brock bring in money.

Watch.It will only be a matter of time before some second rate promotions will give guys like Bobby Lashley title shots by the hand full.
casey64
1/28/09 5:15:15PM
Brock should have faught more than what he did to get a title shot, but Tim's a sour ass.
Aether
1/28/09 7:29:12PM
I guess Tim's style of sitting on the outside or pushing people against the cage for 25 minutes to hold his belt was much better for the sport. As far as I'm concerned what is good for the sport is what brings more fans and money in, Tim did neither of those things. Brock does both of those things. I don't know about the rest of you but from around arlovski sylvia 3 onwards I was never excited about a card where Tim was defending his belt. Except of course when Randy took it away from him.