Tim Sylvia: "It's time to see if Fedor still has what it takes to be #1"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tim Sylvia: "It's time to see if Fedor still has what it takes to be #1"
Next Page »
SmileR
6/27/08 10:44:50AM

Although Fedor is the top-ranking heavyweight in the world, there's no doubt that Tim Sylvia is a force to be reckoned with. With a full 8 inches and 30 pounds over Fedor, Sylvia is a monster with an impressive record, surprisingly quick hands and a long reach that many opponents find hard to escape. His size and striking power, coupled with a rock-em sock-em attitude and stamina are a dangerous combination every time he steps in front of an opponent. Trying to regain the championship title in a fight in 2004, Sylvia wouldn't tap out when Frank Mir
locked him in an armbar, even after his arm was snapped. The ref had to put an end the fight, because Sylvia, broken arm and all wouldn't give up.

Fedor, who has already proved himself in the ring, is looking to earn a different kind of reputation with the American people. "As far as American fans, I'd like them to get to know me personally…not just as a fighter - as a human being as well.' And Sylvia, who has suffered from some criticism and controversy, has a personal, as well as professional, agenda as well - he's just looking for a little respect. A win against the current world heavyweight champion just might quiet the chatter and earn him the respect he yearns for. In Sylvia's own words, "It's time to see if Fedor still has what it takes to be #1."

Link
SpiderSilva
6/27/08 10:50:19AM
Tim will just be helping to add to the reason why he is number one I bet he taps this time when hes in an armbar
juanez13
6/27/08 11:26:37AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Tim will just be helping to add to the reason why he is number one I bet he taps this time when hes in an armbar

that Tim that didnt want to tap with a broken forearm has been regulated.
emfleek
6/27/08 11:27:41AM
Wait...does Tim still have what it takes to be #1?
kaduey
6/27/08 11:58:56AM
The sick, demented part of me wants to see Fedor get knocked out. I love him but it will shake the world of mma.
Figsak
6/27/08 12:04:43PM

Posted by emfleek

Wait...does Tim still have what it takes to be #1?

still?

did he ever?

GlancyMMA
6/27/08 12:08:28PM
I have to admit at one time I would have said Fedor is the worlds number one fighter.

However, now after the circus of nobodies he has been fighting I am pumped to see him finally fight Clubber Lang... I mean Tim Sylvia....

Fedor needs to fight for some tough competition again, and I guess Tim is a good start.

Fedor by GNP KO in the second.

Then.... (I hate to beat the dead horse here but...) Randy... it's gotta be Randy....

Darnok
6/27/08 12:32:52PM

Posted by kaduey

The sick, demented part of me wants to see Fedor get knocked out. I love him but it will shake the world of mma.

I see I am not the only sick and demented one. I would love to see Fedor at 40 and 0 but there is a small part of me that wants to see the guy the UFC let go KO him. Just for ***** and giggles.
CornishMMA
6/27/08 12:55:32PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by kaduey

I see I am not the only sick and demented one. I would love to see Fedor at 40 and 0 but there is a small part of me that wants to see the guy the UFC let go KO him. Just for ***** and giggles.

im actually pulling for it, not only will it be really really funny to all the Tim haters (picked him to beat AA 2nd time) and Fedor lovers but it will also soften the dissapointment of him and Randy never fighting
casey64
6/27/08 12:59:54PM
Tim is gonna get man-handled, Fedor, submission
Figsak
6/27/08 1:42:49PM
I always defended Tim. Always figured him to be underrated. But he's definately not a powerhouse either.

Fedor is. Fedor is a bad bad man. Fedor is Tyson in his prime, Fedor is MJ in his prime, Fedor is this generations uber athlete.

IMO Fedor is the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world.
mrsmiley
6/27/08 1:51:27PM
If Fedor gets threw Timmy,and takes out Barnett,It's gonna be hard to say he's not the number one heavy-weight,imo.AA is their too,and stylisticly I think he may prove to pose Fedor some problems,but at the same time you can say the same of Timmy and Barnett.
Figsak
6/27/08 2:02:01PM
I think Fedor earned the right to be ranked #1 HW about 10 fights ago. I think anyone who thinks he shouldn't be ranked #1 HW right now is nuts.

He's on a 25 fight win streak! The man hasn't lost a fight in almost 8 ******* years! And it's not like he hasn't been fighting...

He has wins over - Lindland, Hunt, 2 wins over Coleman, CroCop, 2 wins over Nogueira, Randleman, Herring, Babalu, and Arona.

These are all BIG name fighters.

It's UNHEARD OF for a fighter to stay undefeated for 25 fights and 8yrs when fighting the sort of competition he's been fighting.

answer this question. For those who DON'T think Fedor is the #1 HW in the world, tell me who you think is? Superman? Godzilla?
emfleek
6/27/08 2:04:47PM
^ definitely the Burger King guy.

#1 in my book.

mrsmiley
6/27/08 2:20:23PM

Posted by Figsak

I think Fedor earned the right to be ranked #1 HW about 10 fights ago. I think anyone who thinks he shouldn't be ranked #1 HW right now is nuts.

He's on a 25 fight win streak! The man hasn't lost a fight in almost 8 ******* years! And it's not like he hasn't been fighting...

He has wins over - Lindland, Hunt, 2 wins over Coleman, CroCop, 2 wins over Nogueira, Randleman, Herring, Babalu, and Arona.

These are all BIG name fighters.

It's UNHEARD OF for a fighter to stay undefeated for 25 fights and 8yrs when fighting the sort of competition he's been fighting.

answer this question. For those who DON'T think Fedor is the #1 HW in the world, tell me who you think is? Superman? Godzilla?

I do think Fedor is the best HW in the world,but I consider Big Nog number one as of now.I think beating Tim for the belt,winning the rematch with Barnett,and taking out Herring again earns him the number one spot.I think Nog has accomplished more lately than Fedor and that's why I consider him number.I think Fedor is better,but I give Nog the 1.posistion for having accomplished more lately.
Mchubb316
6/27/08 3:05:49PM
Fedor is great anywhere the fight goes. Striking, ground, clinch, defense. I think Sylvia can counter his striking, and clinch, but on the ground Tim will not last very long. Tim is tough to get down and his reach can pose a problem for Fedor. This win for Fedor cements him as probably the best of all time. A win for Sylvia puts him in my opinion, near legend status, and not for just being the guy who beat the great Fedor. I look at his body of work over his entire career.
Figsak
6/27/08 3:26:18PM
So mrsmiley, you think winning 1 AND losing 1 Vs. Josh Barnett...

Beating... Heath Herring...? ...............

and beating Tim Sylvia makes him #1???

really??

Noguiera LOST to Fedor, TWICE... how do you justify ranking Nogueira above Fedor after losing to him twice?

Seriously.
SEeeeeriously.

Only way I could see that happening is is Fedor had lost a couple since then, or if Fedor had lost to some ppl Noguiera had beaten, but come on man.

I have Nogueira ranked #2, as do most other ranking sites, and thats where he'll stay until he can beat the top dog, Fedor.
mrsmiley
6/27/08 3:37:14PM

Posted by Figsak

So you think winning 1 and losing 1 Vs. Josh Barnett...

Beating... Heath Herring...? ...............

and beating Tim Sylvia makes him #1???

really??

Noguiera LOST to Fedor, TWICE... how do you justify ranking Nogueira above Fedor after losing to him twice?

Seriously.
SEeeeeriously.

Only way I could see that happening is is Fedor had lost a couple since then, or if Fedor had lost to some ppl Noguiera had beaten, but come on man.

I have Nogueira ranked #2, as do most other ranking sites, and thats where he'll stay until he can beat the top dog, Fedor.

It's kind of like when a lot of people were ranking CC above Nog.Sure Nog had beat CC,but CC had accomplished more at the time,coming off winning the tourny and Nog was coming off a loss to Barnett.As I've mentioned,I believe Fedor is better than Nog,but I think keeping him number one in the rankings after his time off isn't right.He fought lindland (not HW) and took out HMC.Since 2006 he has beat Hunt,Coleman,Lindland,and HMC.
From 2006 till now Nog has beat Werdum,Herring,Barnett,and Slyvia.I find Nogs list more impressive.

Don't get me wrong,If Fedor gets past Slyvia( which I think he will) I will put him #1 again.But when you consider Lindland isn't even a HW,and HMC is a super heavy weight,your left with Coleman and Hunt.(and what was hunt weighing in at when he fought Fedor???)To me this leaves his last really significant win against CC and that was in 05.

I'm not trying to hate on Fedor,because I do think he is the best heavy-weight,but I consider Nog #1 in the rankings.
Figsak
6/27/08 3:44:40PM
The whole Lindland debacle wasn't Fedors fault. Lindlands crazy, he takes fights with anyone.

Ya, the time off hurts him, but I think he's lapped Nogueira enough times to earn him the #1 spot till some1 takes it from him. Rankings are a matter of opinion, but after Fedor beat him twice. I think taking a few months off doesn't make up for those losses. IMO of course.

Be realistic here.

Fedor beats Nogueira twice, Fedor only fights twice in the last year, that erases those 2 losses? I think if you asked Noguiera, he'd probably tell you he's happy with #2 until he proves his ability and finally takes Fedor down.

IF Fedor drops the fight with Sylvia, I think that BARELY screws his rep up enough to put Noguiera above him, but just barely.

Leland
6/27/08 3:45:08PM
#1 of all time I think is Fedor...

If we were ranking currently instead of all time, I don't think he is #1. He hasn't fought enough top talent. Give him another couple months in Affliction and hopefully they have him fighting some more top tier guys.
mrsmiley
6/27/08 3:50:54PM

Posted by Figsak

The whole Lindland debacle wasn't Fedors fault. Lindlands crazy, he takes fights with anyone.

Ya, the time off hurts him, but I think he's lapped Nogueira enough times to earn him the #1 spot till some1 takes it from him. Rankings are a matter of opinion, but after Fedor beat him twice. I think taking a few months off doesn't make up for those losses. IMO of course.

Be realistic here.

Fedor beats Nogueira twice, Fedor only fights twice in the last year, that erases those 2 losses? I think if you asked Noguiera, he'd probably tell you he's happy with #2 until he proves his ability and finally takes Fedor down.

IF Fedor drops the fight with Sylvia, I think that BARELY screws his rep up enough to put Noguiera above him, but just barely.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree on the subject.LOL.
I put Nog above Fedor as of now base on the caliber of the opponents they have bothed faced as of lately.Fedor has the better record,and has 2 wins over Nog,but I think Nog has faced tougher competition in the past few years,and managed to become the "interm" champion of the UFC's HW division.I place Nog number 1 for those reasons.
loonytnt
6/27/08 3:58:08PM
i think this is going to be a good fight i can see it going both ways, tim can KO him but fedor can sub tim so i guess we need to want and see
Figsak
6/27/08 4:06:11PM
Maybe mrsmiley. I just looked over your top 10 rankings for all the divisions, and I have some MAJOR issues with them :P I'd love to pick your brain on that.

Jardine #3 at 205? The guys dumped 3 of his last 6 fights. 2 of those to unranked fighters. His only remarkable wins are against Griffin and Liddell, both of which I think would beat Jardine in 9 out of 10 rematches.

Travis Lutter #7 at 170? Lost 4 of his last 8 fights, his only big win is over the mediocre Cote.

Ryo Choan #9 at 185?? This 1 baffles me the most. Chonan was the guy who Pride threw up against new guys when they wanted the new guy to win. Losing 4 of his last 8 fights. I do give him props for his pretty sub over Anderson Silva FOREVER AGO, and he has heart to spare, but he has no business in the top 20. He HAS fought big competition, but he loses everytime he fights a big name.

Matt Hughes #3 at 170? Yes he's still top 10, but he's been on such a bad slide lately losing 3 of his last 4, I thought I was generous to keep him at #8.

I'm not picking on you, or bashing you, I just want a spicy debate ;)
mrsmiley
6/27/08 4:48:27PM
Well I'm not big on rankings to be honest with you.I've said that on these boards before. I fill them out,but I don't update them after every event.More than anything thing though,I like to debate on Fedors posistion in the top ten because I think it makes for an interesting case.But as for rankings,LOL,I didn't even realize I had Ryo Chonan on their.But I do think he has beat some good competiton in his career.

But I could go their on your rankings as well and wonder why you have AA so above Slyvia or Mir.Or why Matsyushinki is even on the LWH rankings.Tough guy,but I don't realy consider him a top 10.Maybe top 12.Rankings are all in the eyes of the beholder.You can debate circles around them for hours and get nowhere.
Figsak
6/27/08 7:13:27PM
Because Sylvia has lost 2 of his last 3 fights, and besides his 2 losses to Sylvia, Arlovski has won 9 of his last 11? Him and Sylvia have gone 1-2 with each other, and one of those fights Arlovski was beating him and got caught, so it's really a toss up as to who's better head to head.

And even though MIr is one of my fav fighters, he hasn't been the same since he lost his belt. Losing 2 of his last 5 and none of those 3 wins are vs ranked competition. His last ranked fight was Vs Sylvia back in 2004. I'm doing him a favor by keeping him in the top 10. His last GOOD opponent, Vera, got a KTFO on him in round 1. Mir got raped. Since then He's been fighting nobodys.

Matyushenko is on a 8 fight win streak, and he's the LHW belt holder in the IFL. He's only had 2 losses in the last 8yrs, one to AA, one to Tito. Since then he's been demolishing his comp. The last 2-3 ppl on any top 10 list boil down to personal opinion. Theres a few ppl I could of put down there instead, I gave him extra credit for having a belt :P
mrsmiley
6/27/08 7:57:26PM

Good comeback.

But ratings are only circumstancial.What do you do if Mir beats Nog and Jardine wins a rematch with Liddell?

It's like the Gonzaga effect.The dude KTFO's CC.He wasn't even thought of in the top 10 and suddenly he jumps into the mix.Top 10's are everchanging and are just as unpredicatable as the sport.You think your picks are sound now,but it means nothing if a slew of upsets happen.
Figsak
6/27/08 8:05:48PM
Absolutely. Which is why after every Pride and UFC event they ask you to update your rankings. If Mir Beats Nogueira, he'll probably jump a couple spots, Nogueira probably down a few spots. Fluidity.

I don't think any fighter can be considered for the top 10 just by beating 1 other top 10 fighter no matter how many times. If Quinton is number 1 right now, and Joe Schmoe beats Quinton 10x in a row, that shouldn't mean shit for Joe. It'll bring down Rampage a bit, but some fighters just have other fighters numbers. This guy can beat Rampage any day of the week, but lose every other fight.

Thats why I'm ingoring Gonzaga and Jardine ATM. Beat up a few more big names and we'll talk.
cmill21
6/27/08 8:17:51PM
Guess it is time, but I know I would rather fight big tim then HMC...especially after what Aerts said about his power and what Fedor's face looked like after 4-5 punches lol. Best fight we'll see in a while IMO.
dust
6/28/08 2:22:34PM
I can't wait for Fedor to rape Sylvia.
JimiMak
6/28/08 5:02:32PM
The point, tho, is: if Fedor wins he's expected to. and none of the Americans they thought would buy this for the two main events are gonna, so.... IF Tim pulls this off, in any manner that puts Fedor quite a step below what everyone thought. This, like almost every Fedor match now, means more for Emelianenko than for his opponent.

The only way for Fedor's rep to ever hold up in the states is for him to tool tim, then Randy and Barnett. Then he'll have to bite the bullet and fight the UFC guys. Regardless of all the other points about top comp, the UFC is SEEN as the place for top guys to the American public. They will always say "If he's so good why doesn't he come here."
Pages: [1] 2