does tim silvia deserve a title shot?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » does tim silvia deserve a title shot?
Next Page »
jocksmall
8/7/07 6:00:22PM
tim gets very littleattention now that hes not the champ. the pattern has been give the fallen champ a couple of winable fights then give him a shot to win the title back. since tim isnt as popular as some of the other champs will he get thrown to the wolves or does he deserve a middle of the road fight then a title shot?
cmill21
8/7/07 6:01:55PM
no because he's a boring champ, and well he's not all that skilled.Nog would sub him, Mirko would KO him(yes he can kick that high), randy would beat him up again, thats not even mentioning fedor and barnett if they come.
DJDark41
8/7/07 6:02:28PM
I don't think he deserves a title shot. I don't care what kind of excuses he has he got dominated and had absolutely nothing going for him in his last fight. The only thing he deserves is a massive beating from Fedor or a nasty head-kick from CroCop.
Pitbull09
8/7/07 6:25:36PM
He's not going to get an easy run back to the title simply because he was champ when the division was weak andwith competitors like CC, AA, Big nog, GG and Fedor, there is no way he'll make it back that high if Coture can dimantle him that easily
Copenhagen
8/7/07 6:28:11PM
Tim was basically a paper champion in a division that really didn't have anyone at the time. I'll bend over and kiss my a** if he ever becomes champion again.
fullerene
8/7/07 6:54:06PM
These are the responses that I expected, but they're really not fair. Tim suffers because of his appearance and his personality, not his fighting prowess. Don't belive me? Arlovski beat the same level of competition and was considered one of the top 3-4 HWs in the world and a possible threat to Fedor. Sylvia beats him twice and is still a can who will lose to a good grappler. He beats ADCC champ Jeff Monson and he's still a can.

Great fight by Randy and there's no doubt he won the decision. But Sylvia fought off a choke for about 3 minutes and went all 5 rounds, carrying his huge frame around the ring on a night that things were clearly not going his way. He didn't want to give up when his forearm was pointing in two different directions against Mir. And he got up from nearly being KTFO, to do the trick for real against the then highly feared Arlovski.

Hey, he's not built like a superhero (a la Randy, Andrei or CroCop) and he's not a great natural athlete who comes into MMA with an Olympic Gold medal or a K-1 championship. Maybe that's a reason to give him MORE credit for what he's accomplished instead of detracting from it. I know he's embarassingly proud of his belt and championship, but when you look at how little he accomplished athletically prior to the UFC (again, contrast with guys like Mirko or Randy) and you look at how little people believed in him maybe you can start to understand why.

Like any champ who held the title for a while and went down with a fight, he should be given a couple of fights to build his confidence back up and then a shot at the title.
Ordep
8/7/07 7:11:41PM
Only if he wins 2 fights before.
xchickox
8/7/07 7:30:00PM
i think he needs to win one fight and win it impressively to get a shot at the title
StorminYourman
8/7/07 7:31:12PM
If he can beat some real talent then yeah. That eing said,probaly aint going to happen.
ocho-cinco
8/7/07 7:58:59PM
I think he should get a middle of the pack fight, and if he wins that then give him a real test like Cro Cop or Big Nog. If he's standing tall after that then he deserves a title shot. Thats basicly the road Liddell is facing. Hughes is getting a ridiculasly easy way back. Hopefully it will set up a St. Pierre Vs Hughes 3 which I would like to see, but I still think his path is to easy.
juanez13
8/7/07 8:07:27PM
he needs one or 2 fights to get a shot at his title, his first fight will probably be a can (like the ufc does to every champ that looses his title, rich:macdonald, hughes:chris little, chuck:jardine) and than his second fight should be against a contender( kind f like Rich vs okami), so it should be against cro cop or big nog or brandon vera........and if gets to that point, than let him have if not, than he will be made a gate keeper like tito ortiz, and what possibly rich franklin will become if he looses to A.silva
kopower
8/7/07 9:48:47PM
He needs to win a few first. I'd love to see him against Vera. Both haven't fought in awhile. Who ever wins should then get a match for the #1 contender for a title shot.
Twenty20Dollars
8/7/07 9:58:58PM
Vera shouldnt get a title shot after beating tim.

Here's how I think it should go. When Tim comes back to fight give some B level fighter. I would give him Eddie Sanchez because I think eddie could beat tim and vice versa. Depending on how he wins that fight. If he wins that fight he should be granted a #1 contender match with a real top heavyweight guy. That's the only way I see it going down.
hippysmacker
8/7/07 10:01:01PM

Posted by Pitbull09

He's not going to get an easy run back to the title simply because he was champ when the division was weak and with competitors like CC, AA, Big nog, GG and Fedor, there is no way he'll make it back that high if Coture can dimantle him that easily

Agreed. The division is much stronger now. However, if he somehow pulled off victories against 2 top HVY's he would deserve it. I don't see that as being likely though.
kevietre
8/7/07 10:15:16PM
He does deserve one (not immediatly) but I don't want to see him get one because he's slow and has a dumb superman tattoo.
Piccosaur
8/7/07 10:17:23PM
He definetly deserves one if he wins his next two fights.
DNor
8/7/07 10:34:23PM
Does Tim Sylvia deserve a title shot? Yes, but he needs to defeat a couple of fighters. I would like to see him fight Heath Herring for his first fight, then Gabriel Gonzaga for his second fight (only if Gonzaga loses to Randy, if not then have him fight someone else). And if he wins those two, have him fight Cro Cop for #1 contender at HW.
Im not a Tim Sylvia fan myself, but you do have to give him another chance at the title. However I do not think he will complete the three feats listed above. The HW division just got so much stronger recently.
hippysmacker
8/7/07 10:40:26PM
I think for Tim to deserve at title fight he should fight 2 top 10 guys, and I don't include Herring on that list. At least a 1 top 5 guy , and a top 15 guy like Vera, Aleks. Maybe we just have different ranking though.
fullerene
8/7/07 10:42:49PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think for Tim to deserve at title fight he should fight 2 top 10 guys, and I don't include Herring on that list. At least a 1 top 5 guy , and a top 15 guy like Vera, Aleks. Maybe we just have different ranking though.

Exactly the path that Couture and Gonzaga took, huh?

I root against him too, but come on. Does anyone demand what you guys are asking of Hughes, Franklin or Liddel before they get rematches?
cmill21
8/7/07 10:48:41PM
^^^ I do. Hughes does NOT deserve to be fighting serra, he should have to prove himself against gsp before he gets the title again. Franklin earned it. Liddell better have to fight shogun or wand if he wins against keith.
Twenty20Dollars
8/7/07 11:08:52PM
Considering shogun will get a title shot if he wins.

But Tim should fight atleast 2 or these 4 guys. Eddie Sanchez, Heath Herring, Antoni Hardonk(pending if he beats Frank Mir) and then brandon Vera before he fights any top contenders. To see if he is going to have anymore back problems.
hippysmacker
8/7/07 11:38:52PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by hippysmacker

Exactly the path that Couture and Gonzaga took, huh?

I root against him too, but come on. Does anyone demand what you guys are asking of Hughes, Franklin or Liddell before they get rematches?

I think these are different circumstances. For one Hughes is the most dominant champ in UFC history, but I think that fight is as much about selling PPV's/ TUF 6 as as being deserving. Also, I'm not sure what you are referring to with Chuck . If he has to beat Jardine( top 15 IMO) and Wandy ( still at least top 10 if not top 5 to people I know) I think that's deserving of a title shot. I agree with Cmill that Franlin earned it. Another reason I think Sylvia should have to fight his way back is you have more good heavyweights on winning streaks right now. Gonzaga/ NOG. When Hughes got his shot GSP/Sanchez/ had just lost their last fight. Fitch / Karo have not beat a top 10 fighter ever IMO. Karo's best victories are against Serra and Diaz. Both close fights and neither was top 10 when he fought them. Fitch still hasn't fought someone I consider top 10. Again this could be us just disagreeing on rankings. The only other alternative was Koshcheck and after that cautious fight with Sanchez, I'm glad they are making him fight GSP. So while I can see your point, even if I'm undecided on If I agree with it on Hughes, I think Franklin and Chuck have to earn their way back.
juanez13
8/7/07 11:40:50PM
i dont know why but i would love to see tim sylivia vs heath herring........
Btews22
8/8/07 12:33:27AM
I would love to have him fed to Crocop or big nog and he needs to shut is ugly trap and take what the UFC givs him If he can beat ether of those two he belongs If not............. GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

War CroCop VS Big Nog II
low-blow
8/8/07 12:44:23AM
Tim did put a couple beat downs on Andrei but he was a boaring champ, the heavyweights are so deep now I would definetly like to see him prove himself before he got another title shot. I am not sure if he could hang with the big names that are out there now. I would like to see hime fight Brandon Vera or Heath Hearing.
Scott_Revels
8/8/07 3:28:01AM
Win one fight against the latest top five in the UFC HWs first and then we'll talk.
Signal2112
8/8/07 5:43:02AM
I don't think he deserves one, his reign as champion was a low point in the UFC imo given how ridiculously boring he is to watch fight!
Aether
8/8/07 7:54:21AM
I do dislike Tim as a fighter, I find him boring, and I think he uses a natural size advantage to fight a fight where he fights not to lose as opposed to fighting to win. That being said I have to agree with Fullrene here, I think he deserves a shot again after 1 MAYBE 2 fights. Truthfully I only even say 2 because of the fact that he's coming off of an injury. I think a champion who has defended a few times and lost his belt in a decision, regardless of if it was a lopsided one, deserves a title shot after one win against top10 competition. The fact that he's been laid off with an injury for a while and that so many top fighters have migrated into the division make me want to lean more towards 2 fights. Honestly I don't think it matters very much though, because I believe that even if he could win the fights to earn him the title shot, that he would lose against any of the top 5 heavyweights in the UFC at this point.
Ultimate_fighter
8/8/07 6:27:58PM
I think if his next 2 wins are good fights, and probably end with stoppages, he should come out as a beast, at his size he is a monster. I think he should probably defeat his next 2 opponents, with total beatdowns, which i dont think will happen, cro cop is to much for him, nog will sub him, fedor,,, haha dont even wanna go there, and couture would just beat him again for 5 rounds straight.
I think that arlovski has a better chance of holding the belt than Sylvia and sylvia beat him twice.
jocksmall
8/8/07 7:46:01PM
tim always stirs up things thats why i started this topic. i have been critical in the past but the sport needs to be fair to all of the fighters. in boxing many put rematch clauses in thier contracts. before everyone jumps me im not suggesting that but i do think that tim should get a herring or sanchez then maybe a step up then a title shot. i dont think he should have to beat cc or nog(because i dont think he can) in order to fight randy (if hes still champ). how did randy earn a shot he was coming off 2 losses in his last 3 fights. i like consistancy. i agree with most that tim isnt the best but he deserves the same chance as matt or rich. as far as chuck i dont think jardine is a hard fight at all but if he fights wandy then that will be a tough road.
Pages: [1] 2 3