Three Huge Upsets

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Three Huge Upsets
Russell_Crowe
2/25/07 12:56:13AM
Seeing as how all the results have already been posted I think it's safe to move out from the spoilers forum.

In all seriousness I have been watching MMA for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen three upsets of this magnitude on a single card before. Especially Nog. All I could say was wow.

If someone else can think of a comparable night of upsets feel free to throw them in.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/25/07 1:00:25AM
HOLY FARK DUDE I KNOW

Changing of the Guard in Pride for sure

Fedor is next on Hendo's hitlist lol
Thalzaar
2/25/07 1:05:54AM
This is definately one of those events that you can say has made history. Depending on how you classify "upsets" you could make a case that 5 fights were upsets in terms of the "favorite" losing. Wiuff getting KO'd was an upset, along with Misaki, Nog, Gomi and Silva, even though the Gomi and Misaki fights were the Hot Bouts, the biggest favorite lost.

I'm seriously in shock still from this event. Not sure if i should be happy at the awesome turn of events, or upset that some of the top fighters lost. I think my biggest disappointment of the night was the Gomi fight. I never cared for Diaz's personality, but always respected his fighting. I never thought I would see what went down tonight however from Gomi. Diaz was rocked, but Gomi couldn't capitalize, although I believe if this fight had been in Japan, under regular PRIDE rules, knees and soccer kicks would have ended this fight while Gomi had Diaz rocked and mounted on the ground.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen tonight and he lost, after a pitiful performance. Hopefully we'll see them for that title shot in Japan soon.

Nog getting KO'd is just some sort of wierd apocalyptic cataclysmic event that no one could have even guessed would have really happened. Hell, I doubt Sokoudjou even thought that woulda happened. lol

Crazy night to say the least and this has definately turned the MMA world upside down for a bit.
hippysmacker
2/25/07 1:34:53AM
I think LIL NOG getting Koed is the biggest upset ever, Bigger than Pulver/Lauzon. Pulver wasn't even ranked in my personal top 10 when it happened anymore. Still, I thought if he went back to fighting more often, and fought tough competition he would be. I thought that was the biggest upset till now. Gomi/Diaz and Wandy/Hendo are upsets, but not huge ones to me. Lil Nog was a 21 to 1 favorite. That is the biggerst MMA upset in las vegas beting history. I'm still shocked , but I think it was a fluke puncher's chance thing. Like Cro-cop/Randleman and Pulver/Lauzon. Who know's though, Hendo was raving about Sokoudjou on the radio this week. Maybe he's a good fighter we just don't know about, but I doubt it. We'll find out soon enough, but for now I say this was the biggest upset ever. Even bigger than when Douglas Koed Tyson. At least Douglas was a contender fighting for a title. Thsi was unreal to me, but hey, that's why they fight. I'm already changing my rankings, fluke or not though.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/25/07 1:41:28AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think LIL NOG getting Koed is the biggest upset ever, Bigger than Pulver/Lauzon. Pulver wasn't even ranked in my personal top 10 when it happened anymore. Still, I thought if he went back to fighting more often, and fought tough competition he would be. I thought that was the biggest upset till now. Gomi/Diaz and Wandy/Hendo are upsets, but not huge ones to me. Lil Nog was a 21 to 1 favorite. That is the biggerst MMA upset in las vegas beting history. I'm still shocked , but I think it was a fluke puncher's chance thing. Like Cro-cop/Randleman and Pulver/Lauzon. Who know's though, Hendo was raving about Sokoudjou on the radio this week. Maybe he's a good fighter we just don't know about, but I doubt it. We'll find out soon enough, but for now I say this was the biggest upset ever. Even bigger than when Douglas Koed Tyson. At least Douglas was a contender fighting for a title. Thsi was unreal to me, but hey, that's why they fight. I'm already changing my rankings, fluke or not though.

i agree ...this was a HUGE upset....thank god i didnt wager on that fight
aceprone
2/25/07 1:51:33AM
It was great how right before Nog got knocked out, the anouncers were talking about how great of a boxer Nog was, how his country was proud of him, and that is was the Olympic represtative for boxing. And then he gets KTFO. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nog's and was upset to see it happen. But you couldn't set up IRONY like that.

And with Gomi, I hope Gomi learns to come into shape. But I don't really blame Gomi. He probably got lack lustered from all his non title matches. I think Gomi will beat Diaz next time. But man it was great how Gomi survived the last 2 and half minutes by chin alone!

Tonight was a great night for Pride and looks like a very healthy return. Production was better then their last one. Tonight was a great night for mma fans around the world.
Svartorm
2/25/07 2:37:31AM

Posted by hippysmacker
Even bigger than when Douglas Koed Tyson. At least Douglas was a contender fighting for a title. Thsi was unreal to me, but hey, that's why they fight. I'm already changing my rankings, fluke or not though.

Actually, I think Douglas vs Tyson was something like 52:1 odds, but regardlesss, a ridiculous chance of success.
Kameleon
2/25/07 2:42:39AM
WOW. Several people took some hits today. Three huge upsets, I was hoping Heno would win but I really didn't think it was going to happen. Gomi and Lil' Nog loosing was pretty upsetting. Overall I thought the PPV was good.
Buddharox
2/25/07 4:03:52AM
I went to go play Dodgeball, so I missed the event. Got home maybe 45min ago, and after watching some of the fights, I feel really sick now. Maybe even depressed. :(

Especially after the Gomi fight, I just feel ugh, can't even describe it.
hippysmacker
2/25/07 6:10:57AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by hippysmacker
Even bigger than when Douglas Koed Tyson. At least Douglas was a contender fighting for a title. Thsi was unreal to me, but hey, that's why they fight. I'm already changing my rankings, fluke or not though.

Actually, I think Douglas vs Tyson was something like 52:1 odds, but regardlesss, a ridiculous chance of success.

I was in high school when this happened and it was 25 to 1 I beleive. Either way what I was saying was it was the biggest upset in MMA betting history. I still think this was a bigger real life upset. Buster had earned a title shot, so he at least was deemed a worthy contender to a belt. Sokodjou was some guy I could only find one video of, and he got KOed in the WEC by some other guy I'd never heard of. I will say it again UN-FREAKIN-BA-LEEV-A-BELL
Svartorm
2/25/07 6:17:12AM
Actually I looked it up, and we were both wrong. It was 42 to 1.

I'm still not sure if Rameaus win was a fluke or not. I guess we'll have to wait until his next fight to find out. I do think hes pulled an Otsuka and will be fighting in Pride for as long as he wants now after that.
hippysmacker
2/25/07 6:27:02AM

Posted by Svartorm

I'm still not sure if Rameaus win was a fluke or not. I guess we'll have to wait until his next fight to find out. I do think hes pulled an Otsuka and will be fighting in Pride for as long as he wants now after that.

That's true we won't know until he fight's some more how good he is. Maybe he will be what Randleman should have been. He certainly looked explosive, is a Judo champ,and is already more well rounded than Randleman has ever shown himself to be . They should make him fight Nakamara next IMO. Or maybe Wandy if he stays in Pride. He's from Hendo's camp, so they could play up that angle. As of right know I'm gonna stick with fluke though.
crimethinc
2/25/07 10:44:51AM

Posted by Svartorm

Completely off the subject, but Svartorm I noticed you have a 12-7 record. That's pretty Impressive considering there's been 18 fights. 12+7=19? How did that happen?
JimiMak
2/25/07 11:54:39AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPvDXnqn8ak&NR

Nog vs Sokoudjou. I've never tried to link a fight before, let me know if this doesn't work.
Svartorm
2/25/07 6:12:11PM

Posted by crimethinc

Posted by Svartorm

Completely off the subject, but Svartorm I noticed you have a 12-7 record. That's pretty Impressive considering there's been 18 fights. 12+7=19? How did that happen?

Maybe they counted that bar fight I got into last week.

I PMed a mod to see whats up with it though.
Svartorm
2/25/07 6:14:44PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Svartorm

That's true we won't know until he fight's some more how good he is. Maybe he will be what Randleman should have been. He certainly looked explosive, is a Judo champ,and is already more well rounded than Randleman has ever shown himself to be . They should make him fight Nakamara next IMO. Or maybe Wandy if he stays in Pride. He's from Hendo's camp, so they could play up that angle. As of right know I'm gonna stick with fluke though.

He seemed to have great reflexes and natural ability in his intro video. Perhaps the reason he sucked before was because he wasn't with a good camp, and Hendos really helped his develop that natural ability. I think Nakamura would be a great fight for him as well.