THQ VP: There’s Nothing In EA Sports MMA To Entice You To Buy It

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » THQ VP: There’s Nothing In EA Sports MMA To Entice You To Buy It
Jride
2/22/10 7:27:37PM

EA, which is a very well known company and who makes big sports games, they couldn’t get our license. They were not fans of the UFC, they were not fans of mixed-martial arts–and they decided to change their business plan and became a “me-too” company and create a “me too” fighter. They couldn’t get what they really wanted, so they tried to create a game that would compete with us. We have a lot of respect for them, but there’s nothing in that game that would entice me or anyone I know that’s an MMA fan to buy it. If you want stars, the best organization, the best graphics, you’re going to stick with what you bought last year because this year’s game is even better. And the fact that we didn’t cheat or cut corners in 2010, I think our fans are going to be very happy.

—THQ Executive VP Don Gold, in an interview with Gamespot, claiming EA Sports MMA can’t compete with UFC Undisputed 2010

Source
Jride
2/22/10 7:29:10PM
Did THQ forget that Fedor is in the game?

Im spending $60 on the game for that reason alone.
isk
2/22/10 7:56:50PM
I agree with what we've seen so far, game just seems flat and uninspired with too many uncanny valley moments.
BustedKnuckle
2/22/10 10:24:55PM
Except for all of the talent involved!!!!!??? THQ is just a puppet under the UFC banner now and will say anything its told. Thats the only aspect of the UFC i despise........It ......as a company whole heartedly wants a monopoly on MMA And that will never happen!!
fizz
2/22/10 10:34:20PM

And the fact that we didn’t cheat or cut corners in 2010, I think our fans are going to be very happy.

Admitting that they did cut corners in 2009...??? That game had some serious weakness i hope they will fix them...

I will not be fouled by the Title this year i am going to rent b4 buy this...
mentalcase
2/22/10 10:52:01PM

Posted by Jride

you can easily create a perfect fedor for the ufc game by useing step by step instructions on create a fight forums
isk
2/22/10 11:18:52PM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Except for all of the talent involved!!!!!??? THQ is just a puppet under the UFC banner now and will say anything its told. Thats the only aspect of the UFC i despise........It ......as a company whole heartedly wants a monopoly on MMA And that will never happen!!

Oh I agree that competition's good, and I don't love something from the UFC because it's from the UFC.

No, EA MMA can have every fighter that's not in the UFC and it still won't matter to me if the game is dull and looks boring. Undisputed 2009 has a few flaws, like poor renders of some of the fighters like Amir and Vera, but on the whole the graphics are high quality and the colors pop.

I'm really excited to check out the head movement for the striking along with the additional disciplines and career modes in 2010. If the UI is cleaner and faster, and the netcode is brought up to match other online fighters, I'll be very very happy.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/22/10 11:20:04PM
um yes there is about 80 excellent fighters and a trusted name
TimW001
2/23/10 12:27:47AM

Posted by isk

No, EA MMA can have every fighter that's not in the UFC and it still won't matter to me if the game is dull and looks boring.

Because of all of the gameplay videos we've seen, right?

jgtribbett
2/23/10 12:38:12AM
this game is rent/barrow only for me
isk
2/23/10 1:19:37AM

Posted by TimW001
Because of all of the gameplay videos we've seen, right?

Defensive reply is defensive.

Never said it was boring, just saying if it's boring. When it comes out I'll give it a fair shot; I'm just not impressed by the admittedly limited media of EA MMA that's out right now.
Aiden08
2/23/10 4:55:50AM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

ignorance. Dana White does not want a monopoly on MMA. he has gone on record many times in suppport of other smaller MMA companies. He just can't stand the fact that people actually try to compare Strikeforce to the UFC. And he has every right to. Do you have any idea how much blood, sweat, money, and tears Dana and Zuffa have put into making MMA what it is today? And now bullsh*t companies like Strikeforce and King of the Cage. Try to cash in on the popularity of what Dana and the UFC made possible. Plus EV ERYONE knows that the UFC has the best fighters in the world... and to be the best you have to beat the best... and that goes out to the insanely OVERrated FEDOR!!!

yeah i said it FEDOR IS WAAAAAAAAAY OVERATED!!!

honestly who has Fedor beat?

Big Nog, Heath Herring, Cro Cop, Mark Coleman, Arlovski, Coleman,and Rogers...

WOW thats AMAZING... Pffft! every single one of those guys you can search for on you tube and see them getting destroyed in the UFC so does that mean that Frank Mir is the best ever? Or Cain Velasquez? no it doesn't... but they fight in the best company with the best fighters... saying Fedor is the greatest is like taking an NBA star and putting him against High School players. yeah sure he's gonna win but so what
lohmann
2/23/10 5:12:37AM

Posted by Aiden08

Posted by BustedKnuckle

ignorance. Dana White does not want a monopoly on MMA. he has gone on record many times in suppport of other smaller MMA companies. He just can't stand the fact that people actually try to compare Strikeforce to the UFC. And he has every right to. Do you have any idea how much blood, sweat, money, and tears Dana and Zuffa have put into making MMA what it is today? And now bullsh*t companies like Strikeforce and King of the Cage. Try to cash in on the popularity of what Dana and the UFC made possible. Plus EV ERYONE knows that the UFC has the best fighters in the world... and to be the best you have to beat the best... and that goes out to the insanely OVERrated FEDOR!!!

WOW thats AMAZING... Pffft! every single one of those guys you can search for on you tube and see them getting destroyed in the UFC so does that mean that Frank Mir is the best ever? Or Cain Velasquez? no it doesn't... but they fight in the best company with the best fighters... saying Fedor is the greatest is like taking an NBA star and putting him against High School players. yeah sure he's gonna win but so what

I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic. Did you just compare Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, a former PRIDE and UFC title holder and consensus second greatest heavyweight in the history of MMA, to somebody that plays basketball for a high school team? A more apt comparison would be comparing him to a Shaquille O'Neal, a great basketball player that still has something to offer but whose best days are likely behind him.

Also, did you just say King of the Cage was attempting to solidify their spot among elite MMA promotions? I agree that Dana White is an asset for MMA's rise in popularity (as well as a problem as a spokesperson), but I do not agree that because Zuffa has accomplished so much that they should be free of competition. Right now they have the best product in mixed martial arts, but in the spirit of capitalism, that should not free them from other organizations trying to best them. When competition thrives, products get better (and I think the wealth of talent in the UFC right now attests to that).
Aiden08
2/23/10 5:20:14AM
no basically the jist of what i was saying was...

#1 Dana White has a right to be protective and somewhat pissed that all he has worked for is now going towards Strikeforce just because of Fedor

#2 If Fedor was in the UFC and fighting the best then he would be the best, and the only UFC guys he has beaten have also been beaten even worse in the UFC. So basically just because Fedor beat them it means he's the greatest but if some fighter in the UFC beats them it's just normal

#3 Fedor is great but not the greatest. Right now he's an NBA ALL-STAR playing in college not High School lol sorry... (college) meaning SF and Affliction
BeeR
2/23/10 5:49:13AM
Im an MMA fan, not a capitalist, so I will buy the game, if its really no good, which I doubt, then I can always trade it in.
MiniMan
2/23/10 9:02:30AM
I am a MMA fan, But will only be buying UFC 2010...
emfleek
2/23/10 9:10:18AM
I'll buy both.

However...

EA > THQ 9 times out of 10.
finnish_line
2/23/10 9:22:16AM

I'll wait for the reviews and make my decision based off of them.

I will be getting UFC 2010 though.
Naturaldisaster
2/23/10 9:29:42AM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Jride

you can easily create a perfect fedor for the ufc game by useing step by step instructions on create a fight forums

yes but its not the real fedor
sbulldavid
2/23/10 9:38:55AM
Fedor is overrated but that doesn't mean he's not the greatest in MMA history till this point. There have always been guys who could beat him a majority of the time they just haven't got the job done. If he's not the greatest fighter, he's the greatest underdog ever.
Giant_Ochai
2/23/10 11:04:24AM
I'll buy EA's game just because this THQ VP is making assumptions for everyone.
Pyrenus
2/23/10 11:22:28AM
All these little Fedor arguments have been around for years. Too bad, suck it up, he's the #1 HW, #1 P4P in the world right now.

"Oh, but he's afraid of the UFC, he won't come here to fight our guys!"

Well, how many guys are rushing to strikeforce to fight Fedor? Zero. You don't wait for the best to come to you.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/23/10 2:58:04PM

Posted by Aiden08

Looks like Dana finally signed up with mmaplayground .

King of the Cage has been promoting MMA longer then zuffa , so if anything dana is trying to cash in on the popularity of what King of the cage made possible .

I hope for humanity's sake , you're trolling .
Jride
2/23/10 3:21:58PM

Posted by Aiden08

no basically the jist of what i was saying was...

#1 Dana White has a right to be protective and somewhat pissed that all he has worked for is now going towards Strikeforce just because of Fedor

#2 If Fedor was in the UFC and fighting the best then he would be the best, and the only UFC guys he has beaten have also been beaten even worse in the UFC. So basically just because Fedor beat them it means he's the greatest but if some fighter in the UFC beats them it's just normal

#3 Fedor is great but not the greatest. Right now he's an NBA ALL-STAR playing in college not High School lol sorry... (college) meaning SF and Affliction

I smell UFC nuthugger.

Be a fan of MMA, just because so and so isnt is UFC, doesnt mean great fights cant happen.
mrsmiley
2/23/10 4:41:50PM

Posted by Aiden08

Posted by BustedKnuckle

1. Dana does support smaller orgs,but he does not support promotions that have the potential to rival the UFC,such as Strikeforce. Dana was fine with Strikeforce until they announced the "F"-bomb (Fedor) was one of their own.
I think that alone proves what a man crush Dana has on Fedor.

2. I guess since Dana is allowed to put down rival organizations for starting business then we may as well consider the UFC a copy of Pancrase while were at it?
The bottom line is their is just too much talent for the UFC to keep under their banner alone. Having several promotions help ensures we get to see new and established talent get their due.

3.Unless i'm mistaken,rogers never fought in the UFC. His first loss was to Fedor so I don't think i'll find any youtube video's of him getting deystroyed inside the UFC. But at any rate, the bottom line is that Fedor fights top compettion
What's that? You're objecting that?
Look at Rogers,Nog,Crocop,herring,Arloski,Big Timmy.
They were all top 10 by the consensus of the HW rankings when Fedor fought them!
Even in fighting outside of the UFC Fedor has snagged 3 fights against fighters placed in the top 10. Had Barnett not failed his drug test,that would have been 4 top 10 fights in a row. Despite the UFC having the majorityof top talent Fedor still managed to find 3 top 10 opponents outside of the UFC.
Impressive.
CwB
2/23/10 4:44:45PM
HAHA this THQ VP sounds like D. White's Mini-Me...

I am willing to bet that EA's game will be just as good as THQ's, and most likely much better.

Just look at every other boxing game compared to Fight Night, EA revolutionized a control scheme that fit boxing perfectly. If "MMA" has a control scheme even close to the level of "Fight Night" I would buy it over THQ, even if its roster was filled with TUF rejects like Andy Wang and Gabe Ruediger...
telnights
2/23/10 5:15:23PM
Well I will say this much EA is known to rush to release beta software and I'm not expecting anything different from this first release by them. That's not to say THQ is any better but at least THQ hasn't ran great game company's in to the ground. That's not to say I wont buy both games because I will for the fact they are both MMA. Heck I still have 2 Pride games and 2 UFC games for the Playstation. But lets not forget what EA has done to some great company's and games after they took over. I worked for EA for almost one year after leaving the force and can say first hand it is the worst company I have ever worked for or dealt with. Its not about making good games its all about the bottom line. For company's to be truly great there has to happy medium between profit and design.

Now as far as Fedor being overrated I must disagree with that. But I do feel he would be better off fighting in the UFC. The only fight I care to see outside the UFC is Overeem. Which may never happen with the way Overeem seams to be avoiding the US. Some will say Barnett but I really don't care to see that fight now. How many drug test does he have to fail before people start saying enough is enough. So that only leaves one high level fight for Fedor outside the UFC. The HW division in the UFC is the best we have ever seen it and the only thing its really missing is Fedor. I really think if the UFC guys keep fighting each other its only a matter of time before one of them takes the number 1 spot away from Fedor if he isn't in the UFC.
Jride
2/23/10 5:16:14PM

Posted by CwB

Just look at every other boxing game compared to Fight Night, EA revolutionized a control scheme that fit boxing perfectly. If "MMA" has a control scheme even close to the level of "Fight Night" I would buy it over THQ, even if its roster was filled with TUF rejects like Andy Wang and Gabe Ruediger...

Spot on my brotha.

I rather play a game that has great graphics, good controls, realism with shitty fighters rather than have a bad game with top-name fighters.

I personally will be picking up both. I have no idea on why people are picking sides.. More MMA games! Hell yeah. That means competition and THQ and EA will both be putting better quality into their games. And this could only mean a NEW MMA GAME every year. Thatd be awesome.
mrsmiley
2/23/10 7:10:06PM

Posted by Jride

Posted by CwB

Spot on my brotha.

I rather play a game that has great graphics, good controls, realism with shitty fighters rather than have a bad game with top-name fighters.

I personally will be picking up both. I have no idea on why people are picking sides.. More MMA games! Hell yeah. That means competition and THQ and EA will both be putting better quality into their games. And this could only mean a NEW MMA GAME every year. Thatd be awesome.

I'll be buying both as well.
I'm a bit more excited for EA's MMA,but I'm happy to play Undisputed 2010 as well.
finnish_line
2/24/10 1:26:54PM

Posted by Pyrenus

"Oh, but he's afraid of the UFC, he won't come here to fight our guys!"

Well, how many guys are rushing to strikeforce to fight Fedor? Zero. You don't wait for the best to come to you.

So you're saying that Lesnar, Velasquez, Mir and Carwin should quit UFC and take a massive pay/exposure cut to join Strikeforce so that they can fight Fedor and be called the best by the Internet?