Some thoughts on the upcoming UFC 2009 game

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Some thoughts on the upcoming UFC 2009 game
POLL: What do you think?
Sounds a bit scary.Hope you're wrong 12% (2)
You've thought about this too much 65% (11)
undecided 24% (4)
mrsmiley
11/20/08 10:19:17AM
I decided to post this on the offtopic forum,mainly because it's about the game and not the sport itself.
Anyhow,I posted some of this on the whole John Fitch getting released thread,but I just wanted to get peoples opinions on the game and what they think the roster will actualy look like.
First off I would like to start off by saying that i'm very excited for this game.I don't currently own a PS3 or 360,but i will probably invest in one very shortly.
Though I can't help but think their will be a few shortcomings with the game.
Lets take a look:

The official website for the upcoming game boast the new UFC game has a stacked roaster of over 80 UFC superstars.
That's a pretty big claim to make imo.While their are alot of great fighters their,it's a bit hard for me to believe the roaster will be as solid as where hoping for.I'm trying to think of 80 fighters to fit in this game.
Here we go: (i'm sure i'll miss )

1.Forrest 11.Frank Mir 21.Anderson Silva
2.Quinton 12.Randy Couture 22.Bisping
3.Liddell 13.Gabriel Gonzaga 23.Fitch
4.Shogun 14.Fabricio Werdum 24.Rich Franklin
5.Machida 15.Antonio Nogueria 25.Luigi fioravonte
6.Thiago Silva 16.Brock Lesnar 26.Jonothan Goulet
7.Dan Henderson 17.Shane Carwin 27.GSP
8.Keith Jardine 18.Justin Eilers 28.Sean Sherk
9.Wanderlei Silva 19.Junior Dos Santos 29.Ken Flo
10.Rashad evans 20.Dan Evenson 30.Joe Stevenson
31.Chris Leben 34.Matt Hughes 37.Heath Herring
32.Josh Koscheck 35.PJ Penn 38.Stephan Bonner
33.Deigo Sanchez 36.Cheick Kongo

Their's about 40.A little less than half the number.
But considering only 5 fighters have been confirmed,my hopes have gon a little down.
We know 1.Quinton 2.Forrest 3.Liddell 4.Stevenson 5.Kenflow

The rest are questionable.We can eliminate Fitch.And since they came in later,Dos Santos and Brock probably won't be in it.Randy Couture could not confirm he would be in the game either.
I also have a feeling GSP might be obsolete too.Considering the fact Affliction is a big sponsor of his,I don't think he'll like the idea of being put in this game with all the crazy contract regulations their claiming are their.Maybe i'm being a bit naive with that statement,but who knows?

My biggest concern,is the fact that the the second batch of screen shots for the game featured Stevenson and Kenflow.
Nothing against them.Kenflow is #1 contender in my eyes,and Stevenson is tough,but you think they would want to highlight some more "high" profile fighters.
I mean they advertise Anderson Silva as the P4P best fighter in the world,yet we have yet to see a screen shot,or confirmation of him in this game.
The same with GSP.

I'm predicting the game will have some solid gameplay,but will ultimately lack a solid roster.I personaly believe,that a good portion of the roster will be made up of older fighters from the previous games.Nothing wrong with that,but I have a feeling why might be missing some top talent from this game.

What do you guys think?
cowcatcher
11/20/08 10:35:28AM
id be willing to bet that brock is in there, hell drag his image over from a WWE game. but aside from that im guessing that there will be a pretty small contingent of older fighters on there but it will mostly consist of TUF guys. gsp appearing has me worried, ill say that much, but im not as concerned about anderson. will be interesting...
juanez13
11/20/08 10:45:05AM
Yea Brock is in the game for sure, not long ago there was an interview with him about the game, and the showed what he looked like in the video game (not fighting, he was just kind of doing the elebration and pre fight stuff)

I dont think many fighters wont sign the deal, probably just a few guys from AKA and thats it. Most of these guys realize that its too risky to go outside the UFC with this tough economy.
The_Italian_Stallion
11/20/08 10:50:53AM
On Dana's video blog on youtube before each event he was shown playing the game at EA and he had Brock fighting Nog so those two are confirmed and he also had GSP fighting BJ so those two are confirmed also.

By the way both Brock and BJ won, yeah right!
haggiswashere
11/20/08 11:26:21AM
do you think they will let your create a fighter have 2 disiplines like alot of the fighters nowadays because i have tapout 2 i think and it only lets you pick one.
cmb19932
11/20/08 12:40:05PM
that pisses me off
MMAcca
11/20/08 2:57:15PM
What if i wanna play as Fitch.......
Twenty20Dollars
11/20/08 3:08:44PM
im just wondering how the designers are going to equip the game with all the aspects of MMA because I mean there is a lot to it in real life and having that put into a game seems really hard.

Like the little things fighters can do like locking in the hooks, underhooks in the clinch, flying knees, body triangle.

But im sure if they made more games with will get much much realer.
tepid55
11/20/08 3:23:35PM
I'm pretty sure that there will be legends like Mark Coleman, Marco Ruas, Maurice Smith, etc.
haggiswashere
11/20/08 5:03:32PM

Posted by MMAcca

haha i heard you can unlock dana later in the game. you could beat up on him
MMAcca
11/20/08 5:04:54PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by MMAcca

haha i heard you can unlock dana later in the game. you could beat up on him

I hope Marc Ratner is on there as a secret character somewhere.......
Wolfenstein
11/20/08 5:28:13PM
Hopefully Andy Wang will be included, otherwise I'll have to create my own.
Aaronno9
11/20/08 5:29:35PM
I think the roster will be solid. Plus you gotta figure they will start releasing more characters down the line as dlc providing the game sells.

My personal opinion is that there will never be an accurate mma game. I mean, look at the video in danas video blog with the Nog/Lesnar fight. I no nog has a solid chin and all, but he gets whacked about 20 times in a row and doesnt even back up at one point.

dannyfrank
11/20/08 6:01:23PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

you can make wang, i'll make bowman. then we can have a battle royal
mrsmiley
11/20/08 8:19:50PM
One thing has really been bothering me.
Will you be able to be pull the rubber guard?
SpiderSilva
11/20/08 11:27:37PM

will they have Tito as a Legend?
MMAcca
11/21/08 1:37:43AM

Posted by mrsmiley

One thing has really been bothering me.
Will you be able to be pull the rubber guard?

Doubtful imo
haggiswashere
11/21/08 3:51:39AM
mrsmiley
11/23/08 10:18:12AM
A few things I want to see:

1.Online fight camps.Your teams total wins/loses are kept on record along with how many members it has.

2.I want to see the create a fighter not only have a list of strengths to chose from,but a list set of weaknesess as well.Maybe your fighter could cut easy,or risk breaking his hand more easy in a fight,causing the damage it inflicts to go down?

3.I know this wont happen,but since UFC owns PRIDE they should have a "PRIDE" mode in the game.Which allows you to play as any of the available characters,in the PRIDE ring,under Pride rules.I believe that would be a cool addition to the game.
copcopps
11/24/08 5:38:36PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by Wolfenstein

Dibs on Abbadi
big_timmy
11/24/08 11:59:50PM
What bothers me is the lack of heavyweights. Fedor, Arlovski, Sylvia, Werdum, Barnett, Aleks, Cro Cop... These are all top guys in the div.

Another is the lack of fighters that dont have a real contract right now but have fought in the UFC... tito, lawler, pulver, Belfort.

Another being the hall of famers or Future HOF's that arent what they used to be. Hughes, Randy, Chuck, Coleman... Are they gonna be graded on what they've done, or what they are now?

Im hoping like hell they have a legends section with the Legends in all their glory.
haggiswashere
11/26/08 11:37:07AM

Posted by mrsmiley

A few things I want to see:

1.Online fight camps.Your teams total wins/loses are kept on record along with how many members it has.

2.I want to see the create a fighter not only have a list of strengths to chose from,but a list set of weaknesess as well.Maybe your fighter could cut easy,or risk breaking his hand more easy in a fight,causing the damage it inflicts to go down?

3.I know this wont happen,but since UFC owns PRIDE they should have a "PRIDE" mode in the game.Which allows you to play as any of the available characters,in the PRIDE ring,under Pride rules.I believe that would be a cool addition to the game.

That would be pretty cool
cowcatcher
11/26/08 11:47:29AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Hopefully some Wang will be included, otherwise I'll have to create my own.

thats just terrible man
higdon10
11/26/08 12:01:56PM

Posted by copcopps

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by Wolfenstein

Dibs on Abbadi

I'll take Richie Hightower and we can have a Four Man Bloodbath.