My thoughts on steroids in the UFC...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » My thoughts on steroids in the UFC...
TheHitmanTL
4/22/08 6:59:28PM
Now before i begin..i want to say that the reason i brought this up is because of a recent video i watched with dana white on off the record which can be found here...

linkage...

many things were talked about and the talk got a little heated for awhile but one thing that got me going was the host yappin about roids....he was basically saying that roids should be legal in the UFC. There was also talk about roids in the WWE but we'll touch on that later. But the fact is when you are roiding... you are cheating and thats that.. If everyone was on roids then wed be seeing the same competition as with people being on roids...if that makes sense. i dont condone of roids in any way...they are bad for you and will give u an edge but what happens when u test dirty? your screwed thats what... Roids in the WWE shouldnt be allowed but that doesnt really matter because the matches are staged but look what happened to chris benoit...he payed a bigggg price for a little gain and it cost him his life...

i think that the guy on off the record is a complete idiot and doesn't know what hes talking about...your not a real fighter if you need steroids to help you win...thats just me

ROIDS=CHEATING!!!!!!
TheHitmanTL
4/22/08 7:09:41PM
thoughts anyone?
chubbud22
4/22/08 10:30:25PM
Take HGH it does not show up in drug testing
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/22/08 10:47:17PM
i agree steroids are for pussy's with no self esteem/confidence.

roids effect your cardio. If you throw some 1 in the ring who doesnt know an armbar the roids will not help either. Cowards way IMO.
gartface
4/22/08 11:05:01PM

Posted by chubbud22

Take HGH it does not show up in drug testing

That's why they need to adopt a blood test. The reason that I hear that they don't adopt blood testing in professional sports is because they say it's an invasion of privacy.
I call bull shit on that.
jiujitsufreak74
4/22/08 11:07:19PM
my theory on steroids is that anyone who takes them no longer has my respect (in regards to gaining a competitive advantage in sports). that is it, period. you do it, you lose me as a fan and, imo, your whole career is tainted. it is a shame that some athletes choose to do this and i hope that the sport is clean in the future.
slick781
4/22/08 11:07:25PM
Great find man, thanks a ton.
ICSlegend
4/23/08 1:28:55AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

my theory on steroids is that anyone who takes them no longer has my respect (in regards to gaining a competitive advantage in sports). that is it, period. you do it, you lose me as a fan and, imo, your whole career is tainted. it is a shame that some athletes choose to do this and i hope that the sport is clean in the future.

So 90% of MMA fighters and athletes don't have your respect. Okay.

And I guess almost every single MMA fighter is a cheater according to the other poster.

Is anyone here familiar with cycling? Come on now, it's downright easy to use steroids and not get caught these days with the "right people". You can measure it out. Accidents happen (like with Sherk), and you get caught, but you can get back right on the cycle without too much problems.

Steroids should be legal. How are they different then just cramming your diet full of other "legal" performance enhancing drugs and supplements? And last time I checked steroids don't give you magical powers to gain skill.

Everyone that thinks sports are mostly clean except for the guys that get caught here and there needs to open their eyes. All you have to do is a little research and talk to some athletes.
skatenate
4/23/08 6:14:26AM
i think athletes who take steriods show that they dont believe in themselves. and should be banned. but i agree, it very hard to catch a roid user, and the only thing i call sherk is unlucky that he was the one to be caught. although id love to think that the sport i love is as clean as a whistle, im sure it happens more often than we think.
CactusBob
4/23/08 8:25:24AM
I disagree with steroids, but for a different reason then mentioned so far. In the UFC, they are illegal, so naturally I don't want to see someone break the rules and gain an unfair advantage over his competitors. If they were legalized in the UFC, then there shouldn't be an advantage. However, the fighters with more money, more sponsers, and more time to train are going to have a significant advantage in which steroids they can take. It no longer becomes of question of skill, but money.
People are going to argue that this already exists, with some fighters having the option to train full-time, while others are not as fortunate. But steroids only exaggerate this gap. Unless the rules explicitly state which steroids can be taken, and testing is performed for the illegal drugs, I have a problem with steroids in sports in general.
gskyprodigy
4/23/08 9:37:01AM
.......did some1 say sean sherk? lol
tepid55
4/23/08 11:36:25AM
I think Josh Barnett should still be in the UFC.
jocka
4/23/08 12:51:06PM
I will start by saying am against roid use since its illegal to use it if it was not it would be a different story but right now it is illegal. But the thing i never understood about steroids is that everybody seems to think its a magic product, it doesn t not increase your skill level ok it does increase your muscle mass, muscle recuperation time and heeling periods are shorter but common your not turning into hercules. I know guys on steroids that are not strong at all and i would be curious to see if it does increase your cardio capabilities.
Coloss
4/23/08 12:52:01PM

Posted by ICSlegend

And I guess almost every single MMA fighter is a cheater according to the other poster.

Is anyone here familiar with cycling? Come on now, it's downright easy to use steroids and not get caught these days with the "right people". You can measure it out. Accidents happen (like with Sherk), and you get caught, but you can get back right on the cycle without too much problems.

Steroids should be legal. How are they different then just cramming your diet full of other "legal" performance enhancing drugs and supplements? And last time I checked steroids don't give you magical powers to gain skill.

Everyone that thinks sports are mostly clean except for the guys that get caught here and there needs to open their eyes. All you have to do is a little research and talk to some athletes.

Respect man! I thought to write exactly the same, but you did before me ;)
Tein_Lung
4/23/08 1:08:32PM
Bottom line is they are illegal period... and if you are doing something illegal you should have negative repercusions. Also you must ask yourself... if you needed them to win... should you of won?
ICSlegend
4/23/08 1:54:10PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Bottom line is they are illegal period... and if you are doing something illegal you should have negative repercusions. Also you must ask yourself... if you needed them to win... should you of won?

Grabbing the fence is illegal too...

All testing does is punish fighters who get caught. It doesn't stop anyone from using them, and most do and cycle properly.

Do you ask yourself if you can work out better without a Gatorade or a energy drink/bar? Or should every fighter only train on bread and water?
jiujitsufreak74
4/23/08 2:20:58PM

Posted by ICSlegend

i just don't like it. there is a difference imo to using steroids and legal supplements. steroids are specific, hormonal/lymphatic enhancers that alter the DNA of certain cells so that it codes for something different. supplements don't do this. also, the level at which steroids increase your improvement is vastly more then supplements. i don't believe 90% of athletes use steroids, i have done research and i am not as ignorant as you might think. i have a strong moral stance against steroids, i believe it is disrespectful, shameful and demeaning to competition. don't get so bent out of shape when i have such a strong stance against steroids, it is just my personal belief as i am big on honor and playing by the rules in terms of competition.
Jackelope
4/23/08 2:34:42PM
I'm not pro steroids, but I think it's important to note that with the exception of a few, ignorance about steroids is obviously pretty abundant from what I've seen here.

That's not an insult to the posters, it's just an honest revelation. MANY, MANY top athletes in EVERY sport are on or have been on steroids.

With so many designer steroids out there now it is just plain ignorant to say that steroids are a negative for cardio or that they do any one thing in particular. You have so many types out there now that if it is performance enhancing in any way, they can make you one. If it is performance inhibiting in another arena, they can take something else to help with that arena.

Honestly, everyone is still stuck on these WWF steroids stories and the steroids of the 1980's. People honestly still say that steroids make your penis shrink. Yes, they have an effect on the testicles, but they do not have an effect on the penis. Matter of fact, if you take steroids when you're in your teens, your penis actually stands a chance at getting longer. Steroid abuse can lead to impotence and many other very serious health issues, still. With the way doctors are guiding athletes through steroid usage these days, however, a top level athlete using is generally using in a relatively "safe" manner.

Point is- I'm not saying steroids are good for the sport, but there's an abundance of ignorance in the general public about them. They're a fact, and they're out there, and it's just the unlucky ones that are getting caught. Make no mistake, though... the users in pro sports are not using them the same way as body builders in the 70's and 80's or WWF superstars.

jiujitsufreak74
4/23/08 2:48:33PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm not pro steroids, but I think it's important to note that with the exception of a few, ignorance about steroids is obviously pretty abundant from what I've seen here.

That's not an insult to the posters, it's just an honest revelation. MANY, MANY top athletes in EVERY sport are on or have been on steroids.

With so many designer steroids out there now it is just plain ignorant to say that steroids are a negative for cardio or that they do any one thing in particular. You have so many types out there now that if it is performance enhancing in any way, they can make you one. If it is performance inhibiting in another arena, they can take something else to help with that arena.

Honestly, everyone is still stuck on these WWF steroids stories and the steroids of the 1980's. People honestly still say that steroids make your penis shrink. Yes, they have an effect on the testicles, but they do not have an effect on the penis. Matter of fact, if you take steroids when you're in your teens, your penis actually stands a chance at getting longer. Steroid abuse can lead to impotence and many other very serious health issues, still. With the way doctors are guiding athletes through steroid usage these days, however, a top level athlete using is generally using in a relatively "safe" manner.

Point is- I'm not saying steroids are good for the sport, but there's an abundance of ignorance in the general public about them. They're a fact, and they're out there, and it's just the unlucky ones that are getting caught. Make no mistake, though... the users in pro sports are not using them the same way as body builders in the 70's and 80's or WWF superstars.

another good post. i just want to say that i am not ignorant about steroids, and i shameful know that a lot of athletes do use them. i would even say at least one third might be using illegal steroids as performance enhancers. it is just that i don't think that 90% of them are. i know a lot of top athletes use them, and it pains me to know this, but my stances is still the same. if you use them i don't respect you as an athlete plain and simple.
Jackelope
4/23/08 3:05:37PM

another good post. i just want to say that i am not ignorant about steroids, and i shameful know that a lot of athletes do use them. i would even say at least one third might be using illegal steroids as performance enhancers. it is just that i don't think that 90% of them are. i know a lot of top athletes use them, and it pains me to know this, but my stances is still the same. if you use them i don't respect you as an athlete plain and simple.

Fair enough, for sure.

I hate the fact that we even have to question whether or not fighter A uses steroid B.
tberg420
4/23/08 3:37:16PM
Over the millions of threads that have been posted about this topic on this site, most people say the same thing that I've always thought as well. People cycle properly on the juice. The only way to fix this is if they adopt the year round testing that has been proposed. I also see no problem with blood tests for HGH as well. Zuffa is their employer and they have the right to test their employees for the better of their health and for the better of the sport.
xenophon
4/30/08 5:16:45AM
People are always going to look for an edge. All else being equal, the one extra thing you have on someone can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Money, status, willingness to do anything to win, or vanity are reasons pro athletes take steroids and I don't see those reasons going away anytime soon.

So for now, it's a question of testers vs users. Testers are behind the users at the moment, so most users are caught out of stupidity. I say stupidity because they are using drugs that can be tested for at levels that result in positive results. MMA has a ways to go to catch up to other sports where the trainers know how to use and not come up positive.