thoughts of the nightmare

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » thoughts of the nightmare
disturbed_fighter
2/13/08 9:46:11AM
wat do u think about diego sanchez? is a potetnial title holder one day?
CornishMMA
2/13/08 10:01:09AM
yes at 155 for sure, its funny cos he said he could make the weight - and he won TUF at 185 - but is carrying on in a stacked 170 division when he seems so small compared to guys like Fitch

But no he wont ever get a title shot at WW, Diego has always struck me as good at everything but not great at anything, if he bulks up he will be better but i dunno if he ever beats GSP
disturbed_fighter
2/13/08 10:02:25AM
i dont think his stand up well ever be up too par. and i also dont think he can ever beat any wrestlers. fitch, koscheck, hughes, etc. but ill agree at 155
drunkel
2/13/08 11:07:09AM
Who is he fighting at the next UFC? Has anyone heard or seen this guy fight?
Diego won the Riggs fight by chance he is a great gate keeper but no title holder.
saemskin
2/13/08 1:37:25PM
What's with him anyway? His fight with Nick Diaz was one of the most exciting ground battles I have ever witnessed, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. His fight with Karo Parisyan was an amazing war as well, again edge of my seat.

Then his fight with Koscheck was Booooooruing. That goes for both of them too. BOOOOOOO!

Then his fight with John Fitch, he was obviously outsized and outmatched in every way, but he held his ground as best as he could.

The guy has the ability to be amazing and put on an awesome show for certain but he's so hit or miss in terms of who is showing up, the nightmare or the wet dream? I never really thought he was in the wrong weight class until the Fitch fight.
CactusBob
2/13/08 1:56:07PM
I have been eagerly waiting for his rematch with Florian at 155 and Im glad to see other people think he should drop. Sanchez is a well rounded fighter, with lots of time to progress still, but what he faced in Fitch will only multiply in fighters like GSP and Hughes. There is no future at WW for Sanchez.
candynuts
2/13/08 1:59:38PM
I think Diego is more of a 'Bad Dream' than a nightmare.

I do want him to fight GSP however.
Lay_N_Pray
2/13/08 2:18:49PM
He is very good and when he comes out with 100% energy he is hard to handle just because he can be so unorthodox and it throws people off. If he tried it on GSP he would get caught, but GSP is arguably the best fighter in the world, so that is an unfair comparison.

I think Diego could hold the Welterweight title for other orginzations. Shields vs Sanchez would be a great fight. I don't know if Diego can cut all the way down to 155 and still be as energetic or effective.

I think it would be best for him to either move up to 185 where the division is weak enough for him to be in contention within a fight or two, or to try to add some size and stay at 170.

He is just one of those catch weight guys where the system doesnt favor him. But under no circumstances should the UFC add another weight class.

Guys like Henderson and Sanchez and Wanderli Silva are just going to have to deal with the cards they have been dealt
Gipper
2/13/08 4:43:15PM
not a fan of his but he's damn good. it's not like fitch or kos kicked the living shit out of him. kos landed more jabs and fitch got top postition and contolled the fight. that being said i think he's still one of the best and one of the most exciting fighters at ww.
whardin19
2/13/08 4:53:47PM
My answer to this question is yes. Diego Sanchez CAN one day be champion. Diego is a young dude and will only keep getting better. The gate keeper comment just totally blew my mind! Theres no way Diego is a gate keeper. Gate keepers are usually used for the old guys that are at the end of there career and just not good enough to take on the top tier guys. Diego is certainally not any of that. It's also a good to point out that he didn't get demolished by Jon Fitch or Josh Koscheck. Which tells me will some more training on his stand up Diego can once again be a force in the Welterweight division.
Gipper
2/13/08 4:57:19PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

He is very good and when he comes out with 100% energy he is hard to handle just because he can be so unorthodox and it throws people off. If he tried it on GSP he would get caught, but GSP is arguably the best fighter in the world, so that is an unfair comparison.

I think Diego could hold the Welterweight title for other orginzations. Shields vs Sanchez would be a great fight. I don't know if Diego can cut all the way down to 155 and still be as energetic or effective.

I think it would be best for him to either move up to 185 where the division is weak enough for him to be in contention within a fight or two, or to try to add some size and stay at 170.

He is just one of those catch weight guys where the system doesnt favor him. But under no circumstances should the UFC add another weight class.

Guys like Henderson and Sanchez and Wanderli Silva are just going to have to deal with the cards they have been dealt

dude the mw division isn't that weak anymore. hendo, bisping, almeida, tanner, maia are new in the division. all serious contenders for the title with the exception of maia. then they still have, franklin, marquardt, cote, kampman(back from injury soon) and the best pound for pound fighter in the world as the division champ. the ufc mw division doesn't sound that week to me.
NatedawgThaM
2/13/08 6:13:57PM
I think he is still a title contender. he only lost to Kos because he was sick and had Staph which took a lot of his strength and explosiveness out of him which he relies on. Th Fitch fight was close and he put up a good effort but I think Fitch will win the WW title.

I really think Diego could beat anybody at 155 minus Fitch. He'd be too much for GSP to handle as GSP has never fought anybody like Diego before who's well rounded and explosive as hell with great cardio.

In a five round fight, Diego could beat anybody. He has great cardio and I think he's a title contender wherever he goes. People are forgetting he was 19-0 at Welterweight not at Lightweight. No other WW could do that or has done that. He's just had bad luck lately and it kind of pisses me off everybody counts him out because he has two straight losses but when Chuck or Wandy have two straight losses, people don't tell them to move down or bulk up.

WAR DIEGO!!!
Lay_N_Pray
2/13/08 6:24:45PM
Its not weak on paper, but you know Miaia isnt getting a title shot right away and either is Kampmann or Almeida, though they are all very good.

Diego has the star power to go in, get a tough win over one of those guys and get an immediate shot. The road just seems shorter to a MW title shot at this point. I agree in 6 months most of those great MW's will have star power and the division will be revived with contendors
Silent-Sir
2/14/08 1:29:01PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I really think Diego could beat anybody at 155 minus Fitch. He'd be too much for GSP to handle as GSP has never fought anybody like Diego before who's well rounded and explosive as hell with great cardio.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! HHHAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Man that was great. That's the best laugh I've had in weeks.
JBatch
2/14/08 2:55:58PM
The best thing about being in a nightmare is you can always wake up. People have woken up and know the Diego gameplan. He seriously needs to drop to 155 where he will have strength over almost all his opponents. He is a great wrestler, so-so striker and good Jiu Jitsu fighter. Like someone else said good everywhere but not great anywhere sums up the fightmare Diego Sanchez.
Tein_Lung
2/14/08 7:55:02PM

Posted by Gipper

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

dude the mw division isn't that weak anymore. hendo, bisping, almeida, tanner, maia are new in the division. all serious contenders for the title with the exception of maia. then they still have, franklin, marquardt, cote, kampman(back from injury soon) and the best pound for pound fighter in the world as the division champ. the ufc mw division doesn't sound that week to me.

you didn't just group Bisbing in with good fighters did you?
Gipper
2/15/08 2:15:51PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Its not weak on paper, but you know Miaia isnt getting a title shot right away and either is Kampmann or Almeida, though they are all very good.

Diego has the star power to go in, get a tough win over one of those guys and get an immediate shot. The road just seems shorter to a MW title shot at this point. I agree in 6 months most of those great MW's will have star power and the division will be revived with contendors

i think depending on who almeida and kampmann fight next and how they win will be the deciding factors for them getting a title shot right away. kampmann was on the verge before he got hurt. almeida is still one of the best mw's in the world.
Vokes
2/15/08 8:02:10PM
Diego will never hold a belt at WW.
Aaronno9
2/15/08 8:17:46PM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Posted by Gipper

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

you didn't just group Bisbing in with good fighters did you?

I sure hope not. Some judges messed up and he won a fight so he obviously sucks....
Rush
2/15/08 8:47:03PM
Here are my thoughts from a couple posts from another thread.

I don't think Diego will ever be a force in the WW division (i.e. top 5), He is currently ranked 10th by my rankings. You can't be top 5 when

1) you haven't won a title.

2) There are three other title holders that have or have very recently had a title (currently in the top 5).

3) Of those three (ex)holders, Diego has not fought any of them

4) He has lost to two fighters considered to be the next best after the three mentioned above (Koscheck and Fitch). He beat Karo, but IMO, the only reason Karo is ahead of Fitch an Koscheck in my rankings is because Fitch and Koscheck need to fight higher ranked guys. Other than that, I don't even feel comfortable putting Karo in my top 5.

I still don't get this Hep C excuse. If a fighter is diagnosed with Hep C, they wouldn't let him fight. It doesn't make sense.
wickerman
2/16/08 2:49:38AM
he won't beat BJ or Sherk at 155... possible, but won't.
BlazinSaddle
2/16/08 3:33:29AM
runs his mouth alot, not a fan of that, and the whole pushing koscheck thing...come on thats classless, with guys like fitch, gsp, penn, hughes and kos in the mix he dosnt have much of a chance at any belt, he hasnt even beaten a top 10 guy except karo in which karo would take that rematch, the judges are crazy to make that fitch/diego fight a split decision it was clearly fitch dominating that whole fight, for a minute i thought it was bisping/hamill all over again