Your Thoughts on New Weight Classes

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Your Thoughts on New Weight Classes
snakerattle79
7/7/08 1:56:33PM
The Association of Boxing Commissions has updated the Unified Rules of MMA to include a total of fourteen weight classes for men and ten weight classes for women.
MEN'S DIVISIONS

Flyweight (Up to 105 pounds)
Super Flyweight (Over 105.1 to 115 lbs)
Bantamweight (Over 115.1 to 125 lbs)
Super Bantamweight (Over 125.1 to 135 lbs)
Featherweight (Over 135.1 to 145 lbs)
Lightweight (Over 145.1 to 155 lbs)
Super Lightweight (Over 155.1 to 165 lbs)
Welterweight (Over 165.1 to 175 lbs)
Super Welterweight (Over 175.1 to 185 lbs)
Middleweight (Over 185.1 to 195 lbs)
Super Middleweight (Over 195.1 to 205 lbs)
Light Heavyweight (Over 205.1 to 225 lbs)
Heavyweight (Over 225.1 to 265 lbs)
Super Heavyweight (Over 265.1 pounds)

WOMEN'S DIVISIONS

Flyweight (95 lbs. and below)
Bantamweight (95.1-105 lbs.)
Featherweight (105.1-115 lbs.)
Lightweight (115.1-125 lbs.)
Welterweight (125.1-135 lbs.)
Middleweight (135.1-145 lbs.)
Light Heavyweight (145.1-155 lbs.)
Cruiserweight (155.1-165 lbs.)
Heavyweight (165.1-185 lbs.)
Super Heavyweight (185.1 and above)

The recent amendments were prepared and submitted by Armando Garcia, Dale Kliparchuk, Nick Lembo, Timothy J. Lueckenhoff and "Big" John McCarthy.
DCRage
7/7/08 1:57:28PM
Totally against. This is MMA, not boxing. At least they don't have to be adopted by the athletic commissions and organizations (UFC won't adopt them).
stock
7/7/08 1:59:47PM
jiujitsufreak74
7/7/08 2:00:28PM
i hate the idea and i think it is unnecessary. the UFC won't adopt this policy and hopefully it will die off because too many weight classes is one of the reasons i never got into boxing. i hope MMA doesn't start to wholeheartedly change over to this system or i will be very upset.
grappler0000
7/7/08 2:00:43PM

Dana has pretty much already laughed at them as well.
rabbit915
7/7/08 6:06:02PM
I dont have a problem with weight class changes but they need to be adopted unilaterally or they are just confusing for fans. I dont see japanese promotions changing their weight classes to make some commision in the U.S. happy and therefore its a dumb idea without a global governing council.
fullerene
7/7/08 8:47:35PM
I don't like the proliferation of weight classes like you have in boxing and wreslting. They are not as necessary as proven by numerous wins by naturally smaller fighters and, most importantly, they water down the talent pool in each weight class. Even with the weight classes we currently have, people want to see inter-division fights because of a lack of credible competition (BJ-GSP and GSP-Silva are the current ones, Randy-Sylvia was another).
Ben_Hutch
7/7/08 9:29:47PM
Boxing is good different weight classes but MMA is good in UFC with not so many
breakdown5
7/7/08 11:07:27PM
The changes to weight classes are lame. The ABC should stick to ruining boxing and not MMA.
JimiMak
7/7/08 11:18:11PM
It's more like long term planning, to me, cuz the talent pool isn't deep enuf yet to have limits every 10lbs. Maybe one day. ABC is like WAMMA tho. They arent' affiliated w/ any org, what gives them any right to claim they make unilateral rules and changes?
Khaos
7/8/08 5:11:47AM
I'm against, no sport needs 14 weightclasses. Most are used to the current weightclasses(ala UFC) and those weight classes as well as others shoud stay as they are.
mrsmiley
7/8/08 5:34:42AM
Too many damn weight classes in my opinion.Don't like it.
telnights
7/8/08 6:45:51AM
I don't like it at all. It adds to many belts and cuts in to a already thin MW division and the HW division. One of the things I hate about boxing and always have there are way to many weight classes.

Lets look at HW for a sec.

Randy, Fedor, Vera, Cro Cop, Monson, and many others I cant think of would no longer be HWs. That really puts a dent in to the HW class.

I really don't know what they were thinking. It isn't like there are a ton of top level HWs out there and to cut the field in half is insane. I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of commission not adopt these new weight classes and I don't ever see the UFC doing it at least not anytime soon. In the end by trying to help the sport they have hurt it. I truly think changes is almost always a good thing but not in this case. I feel they are trying to make MMA to much like boxing and trying to rush things with MMA to fast. Yes the sport is growing but MMA does not have the number of elite fighters needed to support all these new weight classes and wont for many years. Just imagine how many fighters a org would have to keep to support this many weight classes.
mrkennedy
7/8/08 2:02:18PM
i hate the boxing weightclass and this new weightclass look the same
Rush
7/8/08 3:06:35PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. They had different weight classes in Pride and still put on great shows.

The number of classes increasing the number of champions? Yeah, so what? I personally care less about who is champion and more about good fights. I know most of you disagree with me on that one, but I just want to see good match-ups and I get a sense that more smaller weight classes will allow fighters to move up or down a class and we will see more diversity in fighting opponents.

Now, I know many of you will go back and say, do we need this many champions? Well, does it really matter?

A) There are multiple champions in multiple organizations already
B) The UFC may not even want to or have the fighters to support all those divisions
C) A way to fix the multiple champion problem would be to adopt Grand Prix style tournaments that spanned 6 months to a year where the active fighters would have to stay in a single weight category.

I don't know, all in all I don't see it will be a problem nor will it be a blessing for MMA.
casey64
7/8/08 4:40:23PM
Dont like the sound of it IMO.
The-Don
7/11/08 9:57:05AM

Posted by Rush

I don't see what all the fuss is about. They had different weight classes in Pride and still put on great shows.

The number of classes increasing the number of champions? Yeah, so what? I personally care less about who is champion and more about good fights. I know most of you disagree with me on that one, but I just want to see good match-ups and I get a sense that more smaller weight classes will allow fighters to move up or down a class and we will see more diversity in fighting opponents.

Now, I know many of you will go back and say, do we need this many champions? Well, does it really matter?

A) There are multiple champions in multiple organizations already
B) The UFC may not even want to or have the fighters to support all those divisions
C) A way to fix the multiple champion problem would be to adopt Grand Prix style tournaments that spanned 6 months to a year where the active fighters would have to stay in a single weight category.

I don't know, all in all I don't see it will be a problem nor will it be a blessing for MMA.

I can see this point.. another thing is fighters will be able to stay at a more natural weight and not have to drop 20 pounds some times more to make thier weight class.. dropping two or 3 pounds could get you into the weight class you want to be in.. if it is going to be done.. it will need to be done across the board.. I think MMA should try to create a body to "govern" with people from all the major org in the US Japan England and around.. if MMA could unify like this it would be best for ALL, fighters fans and orgs...
Scott_Revels
7/12/08 12:21:27AM
Some of the divisions (MW, HW) are too thin as it is, to be dealing with even more divisions. Can you imagine guys leaving the HW or MW division to fight in the SMW, or SHW? That would lead to fights like Anderson Silva vs. Jorge Rivera, because most of the guys (Franklin) would jump to SMW, and the guys who were left in the MW division would automatically become like top contenders.. We could see Dante Rivera/Matt Riddle 2 for the #1 contender spot.. It would be chaos.. A mass recruitment of fighters would be needed to fill the ranks, and then the fighters would fight like once every year, because there would be so many fighters..

New Weight Classes = Death of the UFC.
gamez0932
7/12/08 6:38:03PM
i dont agree with this at all, the one major thing i liked about mma other then boxing was that their wasnt 1200 hundred weight classes. if they do decide to enforce this, which they probably wont, i might just have to switch back to boxing hahahaha j/k j/k
WAR MMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cdellorso
7/14/08 12:50:07PM
I like having 10+ events a year- I like quality match-ups- 2 decent fighters fighting a good fight is better than an awesome fighter beatting down a decent contender- i think it would spread things too thin- we would get less events because the talent pool would be spread too thin.
The "Natural weight" argument does not really work for me- I think if you are a top fighter and are making big$$ and this is your career choice then either change yor eating habits and quit working the barbells so much - or if you need to gain weight- lift more weights and get a trainer... Actors lose or gain 40-50 lbs sometimes... I think these weight classes would screw up an already screwed up Pay system in the ufc as well. If we had 3-4 fight per year rule on contract fighters and stuck with the weight classes we had we would be fine.