Thoughts on Karo vs Thiago "Pitbull" Alves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Thoughts on Karo vs Thiago "Pitbull" Alves
mrliquid
2/26/08 11:48:12AM
I personaly am pretty excited to see this fight Karo is one of my favorite fighters he always has exciting fights. But Thiago Alves is an up and coming talent the guys no joke he trains with american top team he's beaten some nice competition Lytle,Alessio,DeSouza and Marcus Davis he is a Muay Thai, BJJ fighter so he is dangerous on the ground and standing, I want to say Karo on this one but would I be wrong to be worried that Alves might take this one,what are your guys opinions on this matchup?
Tein_Lung
2/26/08 12:01:09PM
personaly i think Karo loses.... Karo is the same fighter he was 2 years ago... he doesn't seem to be getting any better so people are gonna start to surpas him and its gonna happen more and more
gartface
2/26/08 12:30:21PM

Posted by mrliquid

I personaly am pretty excited to see this fight Karo is one of my favorite fighters he always has exciting fights. But Thiago Alves is an up and coming talent the guys no joke he trains with american top team he's beaten some nice competition Lytle,Alessio,DeSouza and Marcus Davis he is a Muay Thai, BJJ fighter so he is dangerous on the ground and standing, I want to say Karo on this one but would I be wrong to be worried that Alves might take this one,what are your guys opinions on this matchup?

Thiago Alves is not very good on the ground...he's more of a stand up fighter, and employes a lot of leg kicks.
If he tries to take it to the ground, he'd be an idiot, Karo would work him badly on the ground.
I see Karo taking it to the ground and subbing Alves with a kimura.
mrliquid
2/26/08 1:39:04PM

Posted by gartface

Thiago Alves is not very good on the ground...he's more of a stand up fighter, and employes a lot of leg kicks.
If he tries to take it to the ground, he'd be an idiot, Karo would work him badly on the ground.

umm actually he is a purple belt in BJJ but I agree he is better on his feet I still think Karo will win but I dont see it being an easy fight maybe even a decision win.
nickcuc547
2/26/08 2:28:02PM
this will be a war, alves is better standing and physically stronger. but karo is overall more talented and he will use his judo to control thiago. this will be a very close fight but i think karo squeeks out a ud.
gartface
2/26/08 2:31:43PM

Posted by mrliquid
umm actually he is a purple belt in BJJ but I agree he is better on his feet I still think Karo will win but I dont see it being an easy fight maybe even a decision win.

Two of his three losses are by submission, from Spencer Fisher, and Derrick Noble. His weakness is his ground game.
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/26/08 2:49:40PM

Posted by mrliquid

Posted by gartface

a decision win?
for karo?
what a bold guess!

lol jk, i see karo winning this by decision as well
mrliquid
2/26/08 3:12:31PM
If they stand and bang Karo might get a ko but I see it going the full 3 still will be a very exciting fight to watch.
jiujitsufreak74
2/26/08 3:16:01PM
i'm going to go out on a limb from everyone else here and say that i think Alves will score a KO against Karo. Thiago Alves is a warrior with the heart of a champion. He has a complete well-rounded MMA game with vicious stand up and well versed BJJ. His Muay Thai has really shown us how dangerous he can be, especially through his fights with Tony DeSouza and Chris Lytle. Alves has nasty leg kicks, some of the best i have ever seen implemented in MMA, and he knows how to trade as exemplified in the Lytle fight with powerful hands as well. he is a black belt in BJJ, but now-a-days who isn't. he is well versed on the ground but some times gets overanxious and puts himself in bad positions like he did against Spencer Fisher finding himself in a triangle. i think that he is now more cool and collected and won't make those same mistakes anytime soon but his JJ is more of a defense instead of an offense because his forte is definitely the Muay Thai which he has been doing since he was 15. I just see him going out there and overwhelming Karo. i just believe that Alves has the tools to upset Karo and score a (T)KO in the 2nd round.

an yes, if you read my whole post Alves is now a black belt, not a purple belt in BJJ...at least to my knowledge.
mrliquid
2/26/08 3:51:39PM
Oh I agree Alves could definately take this one I think it will come down to Karo and his conditioning he has never really been a cut inshape guy and if he gets pushed hard the whole fight by Thiago he just might gas but hopefully he will train hard and come inshape ready to fight
The_Notorious_ZIG
2/26/08 4:31:31PM
Karo seems to want to strike and KO someone when his strength is his judo and grappling. I think he wants to please the crowd too much. There have been fights where he has had submission opportunites and tried to strike with or pound a guy out.
Alves is explosive, athletic and pretty well rounded....but if Karo is in shape and fights smart he will go back to his roots and sub Alves...likely with a leg or foot lock.
I can't wait for this fight. It's a statement fight for both guys with title contention possibilities. They both will be ready.
Pookie
2/26/08 5:42:34PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by mrliquid

Two of his three losses are by submission, from Spencer Fisher, and Derrick Noble. His weakness is his ground game.

Right because most fighters skills usually plateau in their young 20's...

Stylistically i think this is a bad match-up for karo. Alves is really strong and has the right skill set to keep karo away. Also Karo will always fight his opponents game, if you want to strike he'll strike with you. This is not a fighter he can do that against.
Pookie
2/26/08 5:44:50PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i'm going to go out on a limb from everyone else here and say that i think Alves will score a KO against Karo. Thiago Alves is a warrior with the heart of a champion. He has a complete well-rounded MMA game with vicious stand up and well versed BJJ. His Muay Thai has really shown us how dangerous he can be, especially through his fights with Tony DeSouza and Chris Lytle. Alves has nasty leg kicks, some of the best i have ever seen implemented in MMA, and he knows how to trade as exemplified in the Lytle fight with powerful hands as well. he is a black belt in BJJ, but now-a-days who isn't. he is well versed on the ground but some times gets overanxious and puts himself in bad positions like he did against Spencer Fisher finding himself in a triangle. i think that he is now more cool and collected and won't make those same mistakes anytime soon but his JJ is more of a defense instead of an offense because his forte is definitely the Muay Thai which he has been doing since he was 15. I just see him going out there and overwhelming Karo. i just believe that Alves has the tools to upset Karo and score a (T)KO in the 2nd round.

an yes, if you read my whole post Alves is now a black belt, not a purple belt in BJJ...at least to my knowledge.

A black belt earned in bjj at American Top Team is worth much more than say a black belt earned under Gurgel.
They have ALOT of quality bjj instructers there.
candynuts
2/26/08 10:11:57PM
Karo Parisyan by Decisyan.

I see Karo catching Alves leg kicks and taking him down, mainly controlling dominant position.