Thoughts on Jones/Vera

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thoughts on Jones/Vera
POLL: Who Wins?
Jones 79% (38)
Vera 21% (10)
chickmagnet
3/7/10 10:44:08PM
This is a very well matched fight in my opinion. I just dont know who to pick as of right now. Im curious to see thoughts on this bout.

I think Jones is a much more creative striker, but Vera is the better trained striker. Vera has good wrestling, and im curious to see how he deals with Jones, he might be able to defend, or nullify Jones wrestling with his Thai clinch, but then again Jones tossed Hammil easily so Vera should best avoid the clinch or it will be a long night for him..

I think this fight comes down to whose gameplan prevails, and who imposes their will..I have no idea who that will be.

Thoughts?
grappler0000
3/7/10 11:18:02PM
Everyone seems to be favoring Jones in this fight...I think Vera is one of the worst matchups for him in the division. I think Jones is the real deal, but I'll take Vera.
ncordless
3/7/10 11:51:54PM
I think it is a good match and a real test for Jones. I agree with grappler that this is one of the worst style match ups for Jones at LHW. Vera is very capable in the clinch and his striking defense is good enough to avoid the huge single strikes that have been Jones' MO.

The thing with Jon Jones is that I have a feeling we are going to see a noticably better fighter each time he fights for a while (like Cain). If I thought Jones was going to be the same fighter he was when he fought Gusmao and Bonnar or even Hamill, I'd take Vera.
State_Champ
3/8/10 12:13:25AM
IMO: Jones' striking has seemed competent enough for him to survive a fight...
And no one has shown me that they can stop Jones from taking them down if he wants to.....I'll pick Jones for these reasons.

Edit: Also, I just like Bones Jones
seanfu
3/8/10 5:25:30AM
It's actually a favorable matchup for jones. He's fast, the end. Vera isn't fast as him and can't last high pace for 3 rounds. He will look bad against jones likely.
Boo_Radley21
3/8/10 8:55:48PM
Vera is no slouch, but has not looked very good in his last few fights, at least not as good as he did in the HW division, and Jones has been beating everyone up that he's faced so I gotta take Jones.
jae_1833
3/8/10 9:26:56PM
I have Jones picked as well because of the speed and the cardio...I just see him getting off first.
BustedKnuckle
3/9/10 8:36:24PM
Bones by GnP BRUTALITY!!!! Vera while being able to stop Randy from taking him down often. Will be in a much different boat against Jones' Greco. I see Jones dumping Brandon on his head and smashing him out cold!!!
tepid55
3/9/10 9:18:50PM
I think Jones wins this one by convincing UD.
prozacnation1978
3/10/10 8:57:22AM
i can't pick against jones but i doubt he finishes vera off
Hendo67
3/10/10 2:39:13PM
Jones will KO him, I don't see Vera even getting a look in...
State_Champ
3/10/10 5:08:36PM

wow...tons of love for Jones here!
I do think he'll win but I don't see him demolishing Vera like some seem to...I am actually a little surprised.
To any one who think Jones is gonna put a serious beating on Vera and finish: I do hope you're right.
chickmagnet
3/10/10 5:39:33PM

Posted by State_Champ

I do think he'll win but I don't see him demolishing Vera like some seem to...I am actually a little surprised.
To any one who think Jones is gonna put a serious beating on Vera and finish: I do hope you're right.

I agree. I was shocked on how many ppl think Jones will destroy Vera. I think this fight will be close but I am leaning towards Jones.
BustedKnuckle
3/10/10 10:44:00PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by State_Champ

I agree. I was shocked on how many ppl think Jones will destroy Vera. I think this fight will be close but I am leaning towards Jones.

Vera has never faced anyone near as explosive as Jon Jones! Flat out. Vera kinda plods around looking to land knees and wide strikes. He will be caught off gaurd against Jones end up on his back and pounded out. I am willing to put my avatar on it!
NatedawgThaM
3/11/10 5:48:37PM
Definitely a step up for Jones and a decent step up. I just gotta go with Jones because he has yet to disappoint us where Vera ever since that long layoff when he was undefeated, has been hit or miss very inconsistent. He has the potential to probably knock Jones head off, I know I wasn't the only way who said he'd be a bad match up for Machida, but he seems to "choke" in fights he could win and show he's elite. See the Randy & Jardine fights even though they were close losses he probably could of gotten them both out in the 1st.

I say Jones overwhelms him with his versatile striking and wrestling and stops him in the 2nd or 3rd IMO.
hammerhead1
3/20/10 5:41:23PM
Jon Jones vs Brandon Vera...This is gonna be a good fight... Their both good fighters and can take a punch...But i am gonna have to give this one to Jones he is just way to powerful for Vera