Thoughts on Day of event weigh ins?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thoughts on Day of event weigh ins?
POLL: What's your stance on weight cuts?
If the fighter can make weight, let him 60% (9)
They should fight in natural weight classes 7% (1)
Ok with fighters cutting below natural weight, but not drastic (over 20/25lbs) cuts 33% (5)
Patchedup15
12/13/11 11:26:35PM
This was originally in the "Whats your weight division post" but i realized its too off topic to leave in there

I think its interesting to see how drastic some people think they would cut.. even myself weighing at a pretty athletic 165 would want to cut to 145.. 20lbs is a lot. Kinda strange to think fighters do this all the time. I wonder why they don't require weigh ins to be day of fight to limit the amount fighters would cut.

I'm very well aware of long term health effects. Why do you think procedure doesn't require day of weigh ins? it would also have more realistic weight classes. Example- Anthony Johnson is reported to weigh as much as 220, yet was cutting to 170.. now he'll try out 185. either way.. that's a lot of weight
ncordless
12/13/11 11:35:40PM

Posted by Patchedup15

This was originally in the "Whats your weight division post" but i realized its too off topic to leave in there

I think its interesting to see how drastic some people think they would cut.. even myself weighing at a pretty athletic 165 would want to cut to 145.. 20lbs is a lot. Kinda strange to think fighters do this all the time. I wonder why they don't require weigh ins to be day of fight to limit the amount fighters would cut.

I'm very well aware of long term health effects. Why do you think procedure doesn't require day of weigh ins? it would also have more realistic weight classes. Example- Anthony Johnson is reported to weigh as much as 220, yet was cutting to 170.. now he'll try out 185. either way.. that's a lot of weight

The first problem I see with day of the fight weighins is that fighters would still cut the weight. I think it could backfire, making the large cuts even more dangerous as people lose the water and then replenish it in a quicker timeframe.

I have no problem with people cutting the weight if they can do it. We have seen time and again that there are disadvantages to being huge and exhausted that go with the advantages of being bigger than your opponent. Gray Maynard is much bigger than Frankie Edgar, and while his size and power were an advantage, he was always slower and tended to turn pink against Frankie after a round or two.
grappler0000
12/13/11 11:53:08PM

Posted by ncordless

The first problem I see with day of the fight weighins is that fighters would still cut the weight. I think it could backfire, making the large cuts even more dangerous as people lose the water and then replenish it in a quicker timeframe.

I have no problem with people cutting the weight if they can do it. We have seen time and again that there are disadvantages to being huge and exhausted that go with the advantages of being bigger than your opponent. Gray Maynard is much bigger than Frankie Edgar, and while his size and power were an advantage, he was always slower and tended to turn pink against Frankie after a round or two.

This!

Fighters will always look for an advantage wherever possible. Regardless of when the weigh-ins are, they will continue to cut weight. If they don't have the proper time to re-hydrate though, it is far more dangerous than the current process. The only thing that would change would be a decrease in fighter safety.
Chael_Sonnen
12/14/11 12:29:29AM
It's fine the way it is.....as a former wrestler, I'm a big fan of fighters cutting weight
FastKnockout
12/14/11 12:39:42AM
Weight cutting is a huge part of MMA. It builds discipline. I'd hate to see the day of the fight. Not only would it be a danger to the fighter's health, but imagine how many fighters would gas during their fight.
tcunningham
12/14/11 2:57:45AM
some people can cut easier than others. fighters and coaches need to know the fighter's limitations. let them decide what weight they can make
BeeR
12/14/11 6:09:14AM
Ive always thought there should be a limit on how much you can cut.
I wouldnt be opposed to having restrictions.
Chael_Sonnen
12/14/11 3:38:53PM
Day of event weigh-ins would make for some lackluster fights....if a dude wants to cut 30lbs then so be it.
Aether
12/14/11 3:55:31PM

Posted by BeeR

Ive always thought there should be a limit on how much you can cut.
I wouldnt be opposed to having restrictions.

Problem is there's really no way to enforce this. How do you prove the amount of weight the guy is cutting? He can lose and gain weight whenever he wants to, so there's really no way to establish what his natural weight is if he doesn't want you to know it. Even if you did some kind of surprise weighing system, your weight can fluxuate by like ten pounds just based on what you've had to eat/drink over the last 24 hours.

There's really no reliable way to impose a limitation like this that I can think of.
Patchedup15
12/22/11 2:41:00PM
in the interest of promoting fighter safety i think there should be two weigh ins. one a week in advance and one the day in advance.. require fighters to hit certain milestones to make sure they aren't cutting too much weight.
I mean look at johnson suddenly moving to middleweight. I think someone finally convinced him that the amount he is cutting will lead to fatal consequences. I don't care if you were a wrestler and approve of the cuts... fact is that cutting from 220 to 170 IS NOT SAFE even if you can do it easily and still fight at an elite level.