Thoughts on Couture/Gonzaga

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thoughts on Couture/Gonzaga
AmericanFighterAce
7/22/07 7:40:57PM
In about 1 month, Randy "The Natural" Couture a great legend inside of the octagon, and an embassador of the sport we all known as the Ultimate Fighting Championship is defending his belt against Gabriel Gonzaga, who I believe will be the toughest task Randy Couture has ever faced in his fighting career

Look, I myself am a HUGE Randy Couture fan, and I thought him coming back to clinch the championship from "The Evil" Tim Slyvia who was boring fans with his fights, was an incredible overcoming and it proved that no matter how old you are, if you still have heart and desire it could help you go a long way, no matter what people say.

But, here is where reality sets it. Gabriel Gonzaga who bar none has shocked the UFC world by his devistating head kick to the one, who made the head kicks cool Mirko Cro Cop knocking him out instantly. Gonzaga who is riding a 4 fight winning streak will step into the octagon against everybodies favorite comeback fighter Randy Couture.

Gonzaga during his 4 fights, none have gone to a decision. He has recorded 2 knock outs (one tko), one submission and one stoppage. This guy is a complete animal, who is deadly everywhere and anywhere.

So with Randy Couture fighting a fighter who is dangerous anywhere poses a huge threat for Randy Couture, here are some thinking surrounding the heavyweight showdown.

Randy Couture is 6'2 and Gabriel Gonzaga is 6'1 so they are almost even. But Mirko Cro Cop is 6'2 so height will not play a huge factor within this fight.

Will Randy Couture take the same approach he did against Tim Slyvia who is more of a dominate fighter standing up, and go for the take down, knowing that Gabriel Gonzaga could easily make Couture tap with a snap of a finger?

Will Randy Couture try to stand up and bang and see if Gabriel Gonzaga's stand up is as good as we think it really is?

There is no doubt about it, that Randy Couture can find a hole in anybody's game and he can use that against his opponent. But when you are fighting a fighter who is complete, who is VERY well rounded, I ask myself how can Randy defeat this monster that the heavyweight division has created? Can Randy prove the naysayers again wrong and still show that he is one of the BEST pound for pound fighters in the game today?

My thought on this fight is that Randy's amazing and incredible reign is going to be over, and I think that it is going to be over in 1 round. I honestly do believe that Gabriel Gonzaga is the future of this division, and I only possibly see 2 people coming close to posing a threat to Gabriel Gonzaga, and that is being Fedor and Brandon Vera.

Randy Couture overall is a phenominal fighter, but with the surprise techniques used by Gonzaga who can attack you with everything, I do not see Randy walking out of that octagon with the belt on August 25th, as much as it hurts me to say that, but I believe that Gonzaga is the heavyweight's version of Anderson Silva.

What is the thoughts on this match that you all think?
By Prediction for this fight: Gabriel Gonzaga wins via Knock-Out Round 1.
Mastodon2
7/22/07 7:46:37PM
A good analysis, but if anyone has made a gameplan that will diffuse the Gonzaga-bomb, its Couture!

It will be a tough fight for sure, but I see Couture getting the decision!
nubby
7/22/07 7:51:45PM
I have two thoughts:
1) I feel that Gonzaga beating CC was a fluke. The reason I believe this is because I think CC underestimated the difference in the ground game in the UFC and Pride. Next time he wont and I think that will make him a much stronger force than when Gonzaga destroyed him.
2) Gonzaga may be great at JJ but Randy is great at JJ also as well as awesome at wrestling. Many of you don't understand that Randy continually grows as a competitor and is constantly adding to his fight arsenal.

These two thoughts make me conclude that if GG is not on his A game all night, he will be in for a monster beating.
Twenty20Dollars
7/22/07 7:54:36PM
Gonzaga is future of the division for real. Striking, Wrestling and BJJ.

The one thing I say randy has is experience and being in title fight situations.

But I'd say that jitters wont effect gabe, because of his last fight big underdog againest the top striker.

Heres what I think, Randy's stand up isnt going to match gonzaga's. Im going to say its going to be a long 2 or 3 rounds for couture. Randy has to use his clinch game, but might get taken down.

My prediction Gonzaga, 3 round, tko. Ground and Pound.
Thats my fantasy pick
Northrend
7/22/07 8:00:43PM
Lol everyone talking about good Randy gameplans...GG just had a great gameplan as well for CC. He utilized Fedor's gameplan..then landed beautifull elbows then...HEADKICKED CC. I mean no one expected that and it worked for him. I think that Randy will loose because he has allways done bad against bigger grapplers. He might do well the first 2-3 rounds but I think later in the fight GG will get into his grove and finally win by tapout in the 5th or decision similar to the Ricco fight.
casey64
7/22/07 8:06:26PM
I belive randy has what it takes to beat gonzaga.
ocho-cinco
7/22/07 8:07:48PM
I Also have Gonzaga winning this fight. Almost daily I want to change my pick to Couture for a few reasons. One, I love the guy. He is an awsome fighter, and a true true warrior. I don't want to be one of the people who douted him again. The reason I can't bring myself to actually go through with the change is I just have to remind myself what a beast Gonzaga is. He seems so confident and fearless. If he comes out with the same mentality against Couture that he had against Cro Cop I can't see him losing this fight. I hate to pick against Couture, but I have to go with my gut on this one.
AmericanFighterAce
7/22/07 8:58:34PM

Posted by nubby

I have two thoughts:
1) I feel that Gonzaga beating CC was a fluke. The reason I believe this is because I think CC underestimated the difference in the ground game in the UFC and Pride. Next time he wont and I think that will make him a much stronger force than when Gonzaga destroyed him.
2) Gonzaga may be great at JJ but Randy is great at JJ also as well as awesome at wrestling. Many of you don't understand that Randy continually grows as a competitor and is constantly adding to his fight arsenal.

These two thoughts make me conclude that if GG is not on his A game all night, he will be in for a monster beating.

I believe during the CC/Gonzaga fight Mirko was was too worried about the take down and he did not play to his strengths he played to Napao's strengths, but that was not a fluke, you don't knock out CC with a fluke, he had a amazing gameplan and he used CC's strengths against him and he might just do it to Randy as well.

Everybody understands that Randy grows, but even the best fighter on the best day can still lose. Randy with out a doubt is one of the best fighters in the game and we all have made comment to that, its just the fact Napao is overall possibly the best heavyweight fighter underneath Fedor.

I mean this has the makings to be a true barn burner incredible fight, I mean when have you really seen Randy in a boring fight? The Tim/Randy fight was not boring, even though Randy and tim both got tired and it was more of a holding match through rounds 4 and 5, just the fact he came out and he man-handled a man who is 6 inches bigger and outweighs him by 40 pounds was remarkable.

Gonzaga is something else, and I understand Nub where you are coming from, I just think that Gonzaga is the heavyweight rendition of Anderson Silva, and I dont see this guy being stopped unless Fedor comes to the UFC, and right there would be an amazing fight.

But I know all of us can agree, this match has the makings to possibly be a fight of the year, and this could possibly be the making of a huge title run of Napao.

Its anybody's call, I know that I am EXTREMELY excited about this, and I hope you all are too.

UFC 74 is a great card.
AmericanFighterAce
7/22/07 9:02:05PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

I Also have Gonzaga winning this fight. Almost daily I want to change my pick to Couture for a few reasons. One, I love the guy. He is an awsome fighter, and a true true warrior. I don't want to be one of the people who douted him again. The reason I can't bring myself to actually go through with the change is I just have to remind myself what a beast Gonzaga is. He seems so confident and fearless. If he comes out with the same mentality against Couture that he had against Cro Cop I can't see him losing this fight. I hate to pick against Couture, but I have to go with my gut on this one.

I know how you feel Ocho (might I say great name, because I am from Cincinnati, and Chad Johnson well.. is better than a beast)
but its extremely hard to bet against Randy and to choose against him, but to me, everybodies time has to come, and right now I think it is Randy, and I mean I think Napao is the best fighter to pass a tourch onto. I kind of see this being a Hughes/Pierre II match-up. Hughes, the untouchable champion going up against the tough competitor thats out for the belt, yes I know that Hughes/Pierre was a rematch but Pierre took Hughes out of his gameplan and then won the belt, and I can see Napao doing that.

Its hard for sure, its hard to vote against Randy... but I am going to have to.
juanez13
7/22/07 10:00:54PM
i dont noe about gonzagas cardio, but he better be prepared for a 5 round war, cus if not he is gonna loose to decision
Lethal
7/23/07 2:36:46AM
Both are very smart fighters and obviously both study their tapes. Gonzaga had the advantage in that he has a entire career of Couture films to pick apart. Very little is known about Gonzaga's overall gameplan. I think that Gonzaga beat CC for a number of reasons. 1.)CC underestamated Gonzaga 2.)He is a one dimensional figher and very predictable 3.)He refused to learn the cage. 4.) Gonzaga spent the entire time pressuring CC left leg so he could not get the range he wanted.

Couture is actually a very good orthodox boxer and I actually think that may be what gives him the win. Gonzaga is going to have to work very hard on the ground to get him in the position for a submission, as Couture may be a little better at wrestling and submission defense than Gabe thinks. I'm guessing Couture is study his BJJ heavily right now. In the end I think Couture is going to win by TKO in the 4 or 5th round.
xchickox
7/23/07 7:58:55AM
this fight is as hard to predict as the liddell vs rampage fight, i think its gonna go at least 3 or 4 rounds, if not to decision and couture is gonna take the first few rounds with g 'n' p but then i think gonzaga may either knock him out or submit him in the later rounds, such a hard decision to make, but on the picks i've gone for randy but i have a feeling it may be the wrong pick
Violentcuv
7/23/07 10:16:04AM
I'm picking Randy. I know I'm not giving GG the credit he deserves, but if he beats Randy then I will respect him alot more. Not saying CC was a fluke because GG beat some tough competetion, but not on Randy's level.
AchillesHeel
7/23/07 11:19:24AM
I think I'm picking The Champ here.

Randy Couture hasn't been defeated in a grappler's match in years (although he hasn't fought a great grappler in an MMA match in a while). His last four losses, going back 6 years, have been by strikes. He has lost to big grapplers (Valentijn Overeem, Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez) and to a stick-and-move striker (Chuck Liddell).

I agree that Gonzaga is one of the guys who's going to make the UFC's Heavyweight division exciting for the next few years, but I also think people are getting a little carried away by his win over Cro Cop. (Interestingly, no one is getting half as carried away by Matt Serra's win over GSP, which was a much more shocking upset, imho.) First, Cro Cop has a history of disappointing performances. Second, Gonzaga's record is not star-studded (people were getting quite excited about Jeff Monson and Nate Marquardt, and I said the same thing about them before their title fights).

Gonzaga's well-rounded skills package has been key throughout his career. He's a decent striker and wrestler in addition to being a good submission fighter. He's defeated strikers with his grappling, and he's defeated wrestlers with his jiu-jitsu and striking. However, I think that's misleading here, because Couture is just a wee bit better than Brandon Lee Hinkle, Kevin Jordan, and Carmelo Marrero, and is just as well-rounded a fighter as Gonzaga is.

In Gonzaga's favor, Couture's age cannot be ignored. Eventually he'll be unable to compete at such a high level, and that day could arrive at any time.

Personally, I think the keys to this fight be the standup striking and the head-game. I think a grappling match between these two will be a wash, and matches between two great grapplers often end up as striking battles. Gonzaga is also facing his first title fight, which will challenge his physical and emotional fortitude. Meanwhile, Couture has fought almost nothing but title fights for the last six years (although his win over Tim Sylvia was the first to actually go all 5 rounds since his win over Tito Ortiz in '03).
SpiderSilva
7/23/07 12:29:48PM
this is the start for Gonzaga if he wins wow
I dont see it that way though I see Courture going out there and Dominating all aspects of this fighton the gound getting and staying on top or standing by landing better more crisp punches in the end it will be a 2nd rd GnP TKO for Courture
MurillaNinjaScrilla
7/23/07 2:19:39PM
Many posters forget that Gonzaga was winning the fight before the right high kick. He is a solid, well -rounded fighter IMO. Although on paper he should be the favorite never count Randy out. I love Randy but GG is a tougher opponent for him than Silvia IMO. I think Randy can still win and I'll be pulling for him. I'm picking Randy via decision.