Thoughts on a catchweight fight between GSP and Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Thoughts on a catchweight fight between GSP and Silva
Next Page »
POLL: GSP vs Silva at catchweight.
Silva is unstoppable KO TKO 39% (23)
Silva by submission after being outwrestled 7% (4)
Silva by Decision 5% (3)
GSP by decision 5% (3)
GSP by stoppage 32% (19)
I would need a wetnap 12% (7)
seanfu
2/2/08 12:12:39AM
Some guy posted a dumb question (cuz it was 100% serious) asking whether Silva would win against Rampage in a 205 fight.
Personally I hated this thought but if Silva destroyed the entire 185 division (even though I NEVER see this happening) what do you think at a catchweight (175/ maybe 178) What are your thoughts.
JimiMak
2/2/08 12:23:21AM
This is way stupider than comparing Silva to Rampage. I didn't even vote cuz this has to be a joke. GSP wouldn't stand a chance of going to the second rd.
Boo_Radley21
2/2/08 12:26:00AM

Posted by JimiMak

This is way stupider than comparing Silva to Rampage. I didn't even vote cuz this has to be a joke. GSP wouldn't stand a chance of going to the second rd.

He may not win but he'd probably do better than most if not all of the guys Silva has faced so far in the UFC IMO.
tuvok500
2/2/08 12:29:06AM
GSP will move up to the real middleweight division and he will beat Silva by Submision in rd 3 !! lol

So, no need to have a catch weight fight, GSP want the real middleweight belt as bad as the Welterweight belt.

i think if everything works well, he could be WW and MW champ by 2009 !!

JunCTion
2/2/08 12:43:24AM
i brought this up a couple of months ago and still think that it would be an awsome fight for both. one would winn by stoppage. no way would it go to decision. i love them both bit would pick gsp.

i have no clue as to why JimiMak thinks this is a stupid idea.
JimiMak
2/2/08 1:41:58AM

Posted by JunCTion

i brought this up a couple of months ago and still think that it would be an awsome fight for both. one would winn by stoppage. no way would it go to decision. i love them both bit would pick gsp.

i have no clue as to why JimiMak thinks this is a stupid idea.

because this would be like Silva/Leben. GSP is not about to move up and take a bigger title. He's your guy, that's cool, reallistically Silva would kill him.
Kpro
2/2/08 1:47:57AM
I wouldn't even want to see GSP move up unless he regains the title and has multiple defenses.

Ask the question in a year or two.
Pookie
2/2/08 5:00:50AM
i dont think gsp is big enough to hold Anderson silva. if it hit the ground. I could see him getting triangled there. And on the feet i think silva would pick him apart better than bj did.
NatedawgThaM
2/2/08 9:07:20AM
This is a stupid fight. There's no way GSP wins unless there's a freak accident. Dan Henderson if the only guy that can beat Anderson in the UFC in the middleweight division. If he don't beat Anderson, nobody will. Nobody is as great as a wrestler as Dan. GSP is good but he's not big enough if he were to go up to 185 were he don't have the huge spider limb advantage to beat Anderson.

His limbs are too long so GSP won't be able to control him. Nobody who has beaten Silva has been able to control him on top. Ryo was only on top, he didn't control him, Anderson controled him and stopped damage on the bottom. Anderson hasn't loss since training with the Black House. GSP's chin has only been tested twice. Against BJ and Serra and he got KTFO in one and almost lost the other.

Anderson easily by late 1st or 2nd RD KO.
CactusBob
2/2/08 10:57:31AM
The reach would scare me. Silva would be able to pick GSP apart with little risk, and keep GSP too far to realistically shoot in. I know GSP is dominant when he is having a good day, but Silva has a much greater advantange on the feet. That said, I may eat my own words depending on the outcome of Silva's next fight.
Aaronno9
2/2/08 1:47:00PM
At first glance i thought anderson hands down, but after realising just how good gsp's wrestling is its making me have second thoughts. If this fight was to happen, id rather gsp made a full move to MW, and had a few fights to give himself time to bulk up a little (i know hes already huge, but i think hed still get overpowered by the likes of anderson and rich easily at this point) and get used to fighting at that weight. If this was to happen, id pick gsp, but at the moment, i think anderson would be to much for him becouse of his huge reach and strength advantage. I think if anderson stops hendo and gsp beats serra and fitch, theres a good chance we'll see this fight somwhere down the line.

Also, whoever said the fight would be like leben and silva is just wrong, gsp stand up is alot better than lebens, and hes to smart to try to just rush in like leben did.
roger
2/2/08 3:05:28PM
GSP will have his hands full but he will take this fight he wants his revengefor that loss
murphy_16
2/2/08 3:25:11PM
GSP would kill'em best fighter ever and after GSP beats serra and defends it a few times he gonna go up to MW and try win the title
rabbit915
2/2/08 3:58:06PM
Silva's reach would be the end of GSP. In a stand-up match Silva would win. I dont think GSP would be able to shoot without getting pounded with knees and fists. Even if it did end up on the ground i dont think it would stay there long because Silva has an excellent and under-rated guard that in addition to his size would nullify much of GSP's wrestling advantage.
cowcatcher
2/2/08 4:10:04PM
im a little surprised that almost no one thinks this would be a close one. to me either guy could win this, gsps wrestling has looked as good as anyone in mma his last couple of fights, and silvas striking is a step ahead of anyone in mma right now. i think anderson wins this 6 out of 10 times, but every one would be a spectacular fight that id pay to see over and over.
mkiv9secsupra
2/2/08 5:01:30PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by JimiMak

He may not win but he'd probably do better than most if not all of the guys Silva has faced so far in the UFC IMO.

im sorry but at 185 Marquardt and Franklin would wreck GSP...

the 170lb division is just a grapplers paradise. GSP is the best because he is the best grappler in the division. His striking doesnt compare to many of the games top fighters. guys like franklin and marquardt who have a huge size advantage over gsp would just sprawl and brawl with him and put him on his back repeatedly
NatedawgThaM
2/2/08 5:16:00PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by JimiMak

im sorry but at 170 Marquardt and Franklin would wreck GSP...

the 185lb division is just a grapplers paradise. GSP is the best because he is the best grappler in the division. His striking doesnt compare to many of the games top fighters. guys like franklin and marquardt who have a huge size advantage over gsp would just sprawl and brawl with him and put him on his back repeatedly

I agree. GSP only dominates 170 because he's a better grappler and half of that reason is because he has long limbs then everybody at 170 so it gives him a grappling advantage. He wouldn't have that size advantage at 185. He's a good wrestler but never in his life would he be able to beat Anderson by outwrestling him and submitting him because A. Anderson is a BJJ Black belt, B. His limbs are too long to control on the ground. Nobody has controled him before.

Horn and Nate couldn't sub him. How will GSP? GSP's chin has only been tested twice. BJ almost beat him and Serra KO'd him. I seriously hope Serra wins now so these threads can be put to rest.

I'll say it one more time. If Dan can't beat Anderson, GSP sure can't since Dan is a MUCH BETTER wrestlers.
jomatty
2/3/08 9:13:52AM
gsp wouldnt sub him but he very well may put him on his back and grind out a decision. im not saying this will happen but it is not impossible for gsp to pull it off. if he tried to stand on the outside with anderson then it would be ugly no doubt and anderson would just pick him apart, but i dont think he would try to stand at all. he would shoot in for a takedown almost immediately, and i think he would be very likely to get it. gsp has been able to take the likes of rashad and other much bigger fighters down in training and i just dont think anderson could avoid the takedown.

i think anderson would still be the favorite but i dont see why anyone wouldnt think it would be a competitive fight. gsp is not the best wrestler in mma, but his mma wrestling is as good as anyones, just ask hughes and kos. he very well may get caught but he also could repeatedly put silva on his back and grind out a decision or even finish it on the ground.

before this fight happens i want to see gsp clean out the ww, BJ clean out the lw's, and the two of them fight. if gsp wins that one then sure let him move on up.
soundboy1
2/3/08 9:44:02AM
I feel like UFC and America in general has to stop concentrating on weight so much. That's what made PRIDE so great. UFC should have some open weight grand prix's. they are the most exciting events in the sport. That being said I think they should ofer two more weight classes, super heavyweight, and featherweight....and maybe something betwween welter and middleweight.
mkiv9secsupra
2/3/08 10:57:51AM

Posted by soundboy1

I feel like UFC and America in general has to stop concentrating on weight so much. That's what made PRIDE so great. UFC should have some open weight grand prix's. they are the most exciting events in the sport. That being said I think they should ofer two more weight classes, super heavyweight, and featherweight....and maybe something betwween welter and middleweight.

America doesnt concentrate on weight. State athletic commissions deam it unsafe to compete with so much weight difference. Grand Prixs will never ever happen. Dana and the athletic commissions hate them.

Those two weight classes would be nice but there are not nearly enough fighters to fill the classes. A 195lb class would be awesome and maybe a 162lb class would be great. Can anyone say Gomi?
Mhunt1140
2/20/08 4:03:34PM
This idea is crazy. Anderson is an animal, he is destroying the middleweight division right now and in my eyes the only one who could possibly stop him is Hendo. GSP is an amazing athlete and he is a great fighter. However he would be too small for Anderson both weight wise and the reach for Anderson would kill him. GSP has only had his chin really tested twice and we all know what happened then, imagine what would happen when Anderson got in there with him. I know for a fact the Anderson is a way better striker than Serra of Bj. Though we know GSP is a very talented wrestler I just don't think he has the experience and he wouldn't be able to control Anderson like Hendo could. Hendo has the best chance because he has a solid chin and it has been tested by the likes of Rampage, Wandy and the list goes on. Also he wrestling skills are amazing. Hendo has a real chance but if he can't get it done, it might take awhile before Anderson gives that belt up.
bls1919
2/21/08 10:06:54PM
First off is it Anderson silva we're talking about or Wanderlia(sp)
if it were the spyder i dont think he would win. Now if it was against Wandy i think GSP could take him.wear him down and sub him late 2nd early 3rd. Either way its a mute point
mrliquid
2/22/08 12:09:13PM
Silva 1st round KO he would make GSP his octagon bitch
Silent-Sir
2/22/08 5:33:02PM
This would be a tough fight for both men. I think they both have an equal chance of getting the stoppage. I'll go with St. Pierre by split decision.
Taylor8766
2/23/08 10:22:36AM

Posted by mrliquid

Silva 1st round KO he would make GSP his octagon bitch

GSP is the most dominant force in mma period, he would tool Silva, and even if some miracle happened and he lost it would be by decision. Silva would get outwrestled, out worked, and would just get hurt.
joshjr
3/25/08 4:11:07PM
Another interesting matchup would be if Silva went to 205 and faced lil Nog. That would be interesting.
Ogre365
3/26/08 5:36:15PM

Posted by JimiMak

because this would be like Silva/Leben. GSP is not about to move up and take a bigger title. He's your guy, that's cool, reallistically Silva would kill him.

How could a Silva/Leben fight be the same as a Silva/GSP fight? That is like saying you would get the same fight strategy from Tank that you would get from a Gracie.

I agree that I would put my money on Silva if I were to bet, but GSP is way more strategic and multi-dimensional than Leben.
Ogre365
3/26/08 5:43:05PM

Posted by roger

GSP will have his hands full but he will take this fight he wants his revengefor that loss

What? No honestly I am confused, what are you saying.
gamez0932
3/26/08 6:40:59PM
for everyones whos saying gsp would get destroyed is an idiot (no offense)...but name somebody (realistic) that stands a chance at beating silva??? silva is unstoppable at this point and nobody in the middleweight division will hang with him. GSP is one of the best mixed martial artists in mma. he combines evrything together so well with his striking, to wrestling to jits...i think gsp could win a fight against silva if he kept silva guessing. silva hasnt really fought anybody like that in his ufc wins. he knew hendo would wanna take him down, he knew lutter wanted to be on the ground, he knew franklin had a better chance winning on the feet then he did on the ground... so if gsp kept him off balance i think he would throw silva off his game because he wouldnt be able to get in a rythm. but if gsp fought him one dimmensional then silva would take the W. just my opinion
Kracker_Jap
3/26/08 8:24:46PM

Posted by JimiMak

What a horrible attitude

My thoughts are that its a good idea and I would need a wet nap.....

Basically Anderson has run out of peeps to fight so anybody that could make it into the second round would be cool
Pages: [1] 2