thoughts on the Anderson/Sonnen fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » thoughts on the Anderson/Sonnen fight?
Next Page »
POLL: does this fight change how you see GSP vs Anderson would go down?
always thought and always will think Anderson would win 29% (15)
always thought and always will think GSP would win 25% (13)
I think GSP takes the fight now, if it ever goes down 33% (17)
other 12% (6)
ChrisSabal
8/8/10 1:40:08AM
what do you guys think about the fight. I kinda felt like Anderson underestimated Sonnen in the 1st round. But then again it looks like Anderson wasn't trying. He let himself get hit twice and then the takedown Sonnen got didn't even look like Anderson cared.

I think the 2nd-4th it was all Sonnen obviously and I felt like Anderson was trying a bit harder.

All I have to say is the whole time through the fight I was wondering ok what is Anderson doing? I felt like he wasn't trying and that either he was going to win in the 5th or if he lost call it quits.

I'm happy to say that my first prediction came true. But what I think what he did tonight was say ok you guys want me to put on a good fight? Then here you go. He went out swinging not really being himself.

I just admire how Anderson stayed calm the whole time and patient and ended up locking up the submission.

But what does this change for me now? I think that GSP can beat Anderson.
MisterFreeze
8/8/10 1:46:47AM
Sonnen NEVER tapped!
Check the rules people. The official mma rules require MULTIPLE taps to submit.
This rule is in place to distinguish between a legitimate submission and accidental slaps of the hand (Which this clearly was.)
Sonnens hand brushed against Silvas thigh lightly, and only once, all while Sonnen was clearly defending against the submission attempt.
The trigger happy ref jumped the gun and now we have what we have.

But Sonnen is the champ in my eyes.
ChrisSabal
8/8/10 1:49:48AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!
This rule is in place to distinguish between a legitimate submission and accidental slaps of the hand (Which this clearly was.)
Sonnens hand brushed against Silvas thigh lightly, and only once, all while Sonnen was clearly defending against the submission attempt.

I'm sorry after watching the replay it looked like to me he tapped. But hey its your opinion.

And please don't start this. The fight is over. Anderson won. Sonnen isn't the champ.
MisterFreeze
8/8/10 1:59:10AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

I'm sorry after watching the replay it looked like to me he tapped. But hey its your opinion.

And please don't start this. The fight is over. Anderson won. Sonnen isn't the champ.

Anderson won nothing about that fight. He got his ass beat for 4 complete rounds and then by a controversial fluke ending, he retained the belt. Sonnen is the champ in my eyes.
MisterFreeze
8/8/10 2:01:35AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

Also, watch the replay in normal time. The only way it looks like a tap is if it's viewed in slow motion. Normal time looks merely like Chaels hand is hitting Andersons thigh. Nothing more.
seanfu
8/8/10 2:02:04AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

I didn't get to see this finish, but even if he didnt do multiple taps, if that triangle was locked in tightly there would have been follow ups.
ChrisSabal
8/8/10 2:02:41AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

Anderson won nothing about that fight. He got his ass beat for 4 complete rounds and then by a controversial fluke ending, he retained the belt. Sonnen is the champ in my eyes.

yes he defiantly did get beat for 4 rounds yes. I see no controversy to the ending. I thought he tapped. In my eyes he did. And no way was that a fluke. Once again Sonnen's weak submission defense skills were shown.
MiniMan
8/8/10 2:04:30AM
Awsome whole show, Best one in ages I think. Anderson pulled it out, OMG my heart was beating. Sonnen dropped Silva, What the!

I screamed at the ending because I been saying a triangle all week. Staring at Anderson's knees nearly the whole fight waiting... Just when I lose hope, BANG, TRIANGLE...

And that WAS A TAP....
MisterFreeze
8/8/10 2:06:04AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

yes he defiantly did get beat for 4 rounds yes. I see no controversy to the ending. I thought he tapped. In my eyes he did. And no way was that a fluke. Once again Sonnen's weak submission defense skills were shown.

Perhaps I'm just blinding myself to the truth because I wanted to see Anderson defeated so badly!
I would definitely love to see a rematch!
telnights
8/8/10 2:08:17AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Well the Ref, the UFC, Anderson, Chael, and every good MMA news outlet would disagree. I'm going to stop this here and now. Chael tapped and Chael didn't complain in his post fight interview or the post press conf. In fact Chael said the better man won tonight and that's Anderson. So before topics like this start going down the wrong road lets not keep going down the hole "He Didnt tap" argument.
MisterFreeze
8/8/10 2:15:56AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by MisterFreeze

Well the Ref, the UFC, Anderson, Chael, and every good MMA news outlet would disagree. I'm going to stop this here and now. Chael tapped and Chael didn't complain in his post fight interview or the post press conf. In fact Chael said the better man won tonight and that's Anderson. So before topics like this start going down the wrong road lets not keep going down the hole "He Didnt tap" argument.

Well to be fair, I have a right to my opinion that he didn't tap. Chael is a gentleman and to save face he obviously wouldn't press the issue that he didn't tap; And neither will I anymore.
Anderson at one time was my favorite fighter, but due to his last few fights I've wanted nothing more than to see him lose, simply to humble him.
Yes Anderson Silva was the winner tonight, but at the same time he was the loser, because millions of people watched him get beat down like never before and even though Chael Sonnen got caught, he showed that he is better than Anderson Silva and has the tools to defeat him.

I am looking forward to the rematch!!
seanfu
8/8/10 2:34:36AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by telnights

Posted by MisterFreeze

Well to be fair, I have a right to my opinion that he didn't tap. Chael is a gentleman and to save face he obviously wouldn't press the issue that he didn't tap; And neither will I anymore.
Anderson at one time was my favorite fighter, but due to his last few fights I've wanted nothing more than to see him lose, simply to humble him.
Yes Anderson Silva was the winner tonight, but at the same time he was the loser, because millions of people watched him get beat down like never before and even though Chael Sonnen got caught, he showed that he is better than Anderson Silva and has the tools to defeat him.

I am looking forward to the rematch!!

Stylistically better, yes.
Gogoplatapus
8/8/10 2:51:48AM
How many times did Fedor tap?
jimmypockets
8/8/10 2:52:42AM
The facts are that Silva got whooped on for four 4 1/2 rounds and caught a triangle to get the victory. I have two complaints

1) To me, Chael Sonnen should have fought that triangle until he went to sleep..........or got out and was crowned the new Champ. I couldn't believe he would even think about tapping after all the work he had just put in to that fight. He definately tapped once although I thought you had tap multiple times too. Either way Chael should have never tapped in the first place. That has to be devastating.

2) The ref created confusion by not jumping in and seperating the fighters when he called the fight. You could clearly tell that the ref was kind of second guessing himself when he began to call the fight. BIG JOHN MCCARTHY would have jumped in and stopped that fight immediately.
TimW001
8/8/10 2:57:00AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

Actually no, go read the rules. There is NO RULE anywhere in MMA that says it has to be multiple taps. All that needs to be done is an indication to the ref that says that you are done in the fight.

Also, he tapped. Bottom line. He may deny it but he tapped out.
slapshot
8/8/10 3:35:37AM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

Actually no, go read the rules. There is NO RULE anywhere in MMA that says it has to be multiple taps. All that needs to be done is an indication to the ref that says that you are done in the fight.

Odd because I have looked it up and the official rule is three consecutive taps.

The ref can still stop it but the way he stopped this fight made it clear to me that he was unsure. We know it was the wrong call because by the time he made up his mind to separate the fighters Sonnen was already escaping the sub attempt.

RearNakedJoke
8/8/10 4:43:50AM
I dont see how you can compare Sonnens performance to a possibe GSP performance. Sonnen is a much bigger, stronger and more accomplished wrestler than GSP. Georges is definitely a better athlete and all around fighter but that doesn't make up for the huge size difference between him and Silva.

Tap or not Sonnen put on a great showing last night. he definitely backed up alot of his talk and silenced some critics. Anderson Silva's fan was probably pissing himself.
ChrisSabal
8/8/10 5:05:25AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

I dont see how you can compare Sonnens performance to a possibe GSP performance. Sonnen is a much bigger, stronger and more accomplished wrestler than GSP. Georges is definitely a better athlete and all around fighter but that doesn't make up for the huge size difference between him and Silva.

Tap or not Sonnen put on a great showing last night. he definitely backed up alot of his talk and silenced some critics. Anderson Silva's fan was probably pissing himself.

I'm not comparing Sonnen's performance to a possible GSP performance. But today showed something. Anderson's takedown defense isn't exactly great. And what would GSP do to Anderson? Take him down.
TimW001
8/8/10 5:06:06AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by TimW001

Odd because I have looked it up and the official rule is three consecutive taps.

I really am going to need a link please.
MiniMan
8/8/10 9:21:44AM
3 taps? So what happens if you only get 2 taps out? You get your arm broke?? Sorry son but you should of tapped once more!

If Chael dont have a problem, NOBODY else should.

Anderson had broken ribs, Then ate 320 strikes in that fight with 66 of them being hard shots to the head. Then after all of that pulled out a SWEET Triangle with 2 mins to go. I dont think a fighter has ever had a comback like that.

PROPS TO SILVA...

Check out FIGHTMETRICS stats
Hendo67
8/8/10 10:52:44AM
Thoughts on the fight, i loved, LOVED every 23 minutes of it... and by 23 mins, i mean when Sonnen was stomping a mudhole in Anderson. Seeing Anderson get punished was easy on the eyes.

Too bad Sonnen's submission defense is as bad as Andersons takedown defense.

Interesting to see the scores if it went to the judges score cards, easily would have been one of the most dominating title fights in history.
RyanC
8/8/10 11:04:41AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by TimW001

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

The ref can still stop it but the way he stopped this fight made it clear to me that he was unsure. We know it was the wrong call because by the time he made up his mind to separate the fighters Sonnen was already escaping the sub attempt.

Chael tapped. End of story. Watch the replay. He tapped 2 or 3 times on Anderson's leg. Anderson had a triangle, an armbar, and had an opportunity to secure a leg had he needed to. Chael fought a hell of a fight for 23 minutes, and then gave it away in a second, and don't tell me Anderson got lucky.
MisterFreeze
8/8/10 12:03:25PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by slapshot

Posted by TimW001

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

Chael tapped. End of story. Watch the replay. He tapped 2 or 3 times on Anderson's leg. Anderson had a triangle, an armbar, and had an opportunity to secure a leg had he needed to. Chael fought a hell of a fight for 23 minutes, and then gave it away in a second, and don't tell me Anderson got lucky.

What fight were you watching? Because Chael only tapped once. Maybe for a brief second he considered submitting and his hand subconsciously hit Andersons leg, but immediately after it hit he began working to get out of the sub and was about to, however the ref jumped on it and created huge amounts of confusion.

And thank you Slapshot for backing me up. Submitting requires 3 consecutive slaps.
here is the link to official MMA rules. Official MMA rules
At the very top it says: "Ways to victory - Submission: a fighter may admit defeat during a match by:
tapping three times on his opponent's body;
tapping three times on the mat or floor;
verbal announcement."

An argument could be made that Chael barely tapped once, but absolutely no more than that. And even if he did, it didn't qualify as submitting according to the rules.
eltdown
8/8/10 12:31:47PM

Posted by MisterFreeze
At the very top it says: "Ways to victory - Submission: a fighter may admit defeat during a match by:
verbal announcement."

An argument could be made that Chael barely tapped once, but absolutely no more than that. And even if he did, it didn't qualify as submitting according to the rules.

Sorry to delurk for something so petty as this, but you could always look up the actual rules, not someone's summary of them: here are the NSAC rules, link should go straight to the relevant part.

"NAC 467.7968 Results of contests. (NRS 467.030) A contest of mixed martial arts may end under the following results:
1. Submission by:
(a) Physical tap out.
(b) Verbal tap out."

No definition of number of taps. Now let's all move on...
RyanC
8/8/10 12:48:36PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

What fight were you watching? Because Chael only tapped once. Maybe for a brief second he considered submitting and his hand subconsciously hit Andersons leg, but immediately after it hit he began working to get out of the sub and was about to, however the ref jumped on it and created huge amounts of confusion.

And thank you Slapshot for backing me up. Submitting requires 3 consecutive slaps.
verbal announcement."

EDIT: My previous post was kind of rude. I'll just say I'm not going to continue to discuss this.
bjj1605
8/8/10 12:52:24PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

A tap is any indication from the fighter to the referee that he is submitting. It can be done by tapping the body, tapping the mat, tapping with your foot, snapping your fingers, verbally... pretty much anyway you can think of to tell the ref you want out. Stop making excuses.

Sonnen did a good job but he got caught. It's absurd to say he proved he was the better fighter because he lost. Duh.

Anderson did not get lucky. There is no such thing as a lucky submission. It's a very specific set of movements that takes a deliberate execution. Anderson beat Chael technically. He made him quit, cry uncle, ask the ref to save him. There is no method of defeat more dominant than a submission. You are essentially admitting "you have placed me in a position where my only options are to quit and call you the better man or to face unconsciousness/physical injury".

Also, the arm bar is what tapped Sonnen. He was fighting the triangle and when he fell to his back Anderson turned the arm over and pulled it across his hip. It's a triangle-armbar but the pressure at that point is on the elbow joint, not the carotid arteries.

Edit: even before Chael begged the ref to save him from injury, he was eating a lot of shots from the bottom. MMA Judges don't score damage but Anderson was certainly doing more of it. He was landing elbows from the bottom that had Chael's face cut, bleeding, and bruised. Anderson was unscathed. Chael clipped Anderson on the feet at one point and wobbled him, Anderson dropped him two or three times.

It's an MMA fight not a wrestling match. Anderson is the better fighter. Chael is the better wrestler.
RyanC
8/8/10 12:53:52PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

A tap is any indication from the fighter to the referee that he is submitting. It can be done by tapping the body, tapping the mat, tapping with your foot, snapping your fingers, verbally... pretty much anyway you can think of to tell the ref you want out. Stop making excuses.

Sonnen did a good job but he got caught. It's absurd to say he proved he was the better fighter because he lost. Duh.

Anderson did not get lucky. There is no such thing as a lucky submission. It's a very specific set of movements that takes a deliberate execution. Anderson beat Chael technically. He made him quit, cry uncle, ask the ref to save him. There is no method of defeat more dominant than a submission. You are essentially admitting "you have placed me in a position where my only options are to quit and call you the better man or to face unconsciousness/physical injury".

Also, the arm bar is what tapped Sonnen. He was fighting the triangle and when he fell to his back Anderson turned the arm over and pulled it across his hip. It's a triangle-armbar but the pressure at that point is on the elbow joint, not the carotid arteries.

Preach it brother!
ncordless
8/8/10 1:04:18PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by RyanC

Posted by slapshot

Posted by TimW001

Posted by MisterFreeze

Sonnen NEVER tapped!

verbal announcement."

Unfortunately for your argument, your source, mmaweekly, doesn't sanction events nor enforce regulations. The mandatory three taps hasn't been used in a long time. One of the reasons is fights like this where a contestant tries to fake tap in order to get his opponent to relax. It was funny that Lindland was in his corner for the fight because he did the same thing back in the day, the ref stopped it but then restarted it that time, which was bs.

Chael fought a hell of a fight, and was dominating Anderson. But this isn't the first time that Chael got caught in a sub, submitted, and then complained. Anyone arguing that he didn't tap should take a clue from Chael after the match. You don't think Chael Sonnen would talk about it if he was robbed?
TimW001
8/8/10 2:13:24PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

verbal announcement."

"The following describes some rules commonly found in MMA competition in most MMA organizations."

State rules please.
crushedbacon
8/8/10 6:57:40PM

Posted by Hendo67

Thoughts on the fight, i loved, LOVED every 23 minutes of it... and by 23 mins, i mean when Sonnen was stomping a mudhole in Anderson. Seeing Anderson get punished was easy on the eyes.

Too bad Sonnen's submission defense is as bad as Andersons takedown defense.

Interesting to see the scores if it went to the judges score cards, easily would have been one of the most dominating title fights in history.

Score cards...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/8/8/1611772/ufc-117-snapshot-of-the-day-the
Pages: [1] 2