(just my thoughts) UFC to Air Prelims on spike?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » (just my thoughts) UFC to Air Prelims on spike?
POLL: what do you think?
Would be awesome! 85% (45)
cool, but IDC about prelims. 2% (1)
show prelims, but only on PPV. 6% (3)
Smart Business move. 8% (4)
dumb idea. 0% (0)
joshryanshepherd
7/25/09 5:24:14PM
I think it would be great in all different ways. it would most likely boost PPV buys, gain more fans and help popularize the under card fighters. plus the people who cant afford the PPV's have something to watch.
mkiv9secsupra
7/25/09 5:36:13PM
It would be great! It would show loyalty to a lot of fans as well....

But it will probly cost too much for Dana's tastes so it will never happen.
postman
7/25/09 5:52:18PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

It would be great! It would show loyalty to a lot of fans as well....

But it will probly cost too much for Dana's tastes so it will never happen.

Cost too much? if ppl are watching then advertisers are going to buy the comercial spots.
Kpro
7/25/09 6:13:20PM
It depends if the advertisers on SPIKE outweigh the thousands upon thousands of people that cancel their $10 per month UFC.com membership, since that's what they're really paying for. They wouldn't lose just the $10 per month memberships either, because their traffic on the site would go down a lot, which would in turn get them less money from internet sponsors.

Hard to know if it is a good business decision or not without knowing numbers like that, but business aside, that would be sweet if all prelims were on SPIKE.
slapshot
7/25/09 6:14:03PM
I think they are making too much off selling them off there website for them to do this but Id like to see it.
postman
7/25/09 7:00:01PM

Posted by Kpro

It depends if the advertisers on SPIKE outweigh the thousands upon thousands of people that cancel their $10 per month UFC.com membership, since that's what they're really paying for. They wouldn't lose just the $10 per month memberships either, because their traffic on the site would go down a lot, which would in turn get them less money from internet sponsors.

Hard to know if it is a good business decision or not without knowing numbers like that, but business aside, that would be sweet if all prelims were on SPIKE.

Didn't think about that. Prob won't happen with spike but maybe ABC down the road.
Irish_Pride
7/25/09 7:02:22PM
Yeah, I would love to see them do this but it just all depends on the money. Whether they make or lose money that's all it depends on. I wish money didn't matter but unfortunately it does.
postman
7/25/09 8:28:10PM
Could you imagine the hype they would be putting on the main card. There would be two guys rolling one has the other in the worst armbar you ever saw and Goldie would be saying don't forget later tonight only on ppv we have the most anticpated match up since last months main event
mkiv9secsupra
7/25/09 9:31:36PM

Posted by postman
Goldie would be saying don't forget later tonight only on ppv we have the most anticpated match up since last months main event

that had me cracking up!!! props

Every single PPV seems to always have the most anticipated matchup on it....
DCRage
7/25/09 11:43:42PM
I'd certainly be for it, especially since most of them don't even make Unleashed at some point unless they're a FOTN.
Styles
7/26/09 4:19:16AM
Not on SPIKE but I could see them airing prelims on NBC or ABC due to the amount of viewer potenial. It also will serve as a last minute hype for the PPV as well as bring new sponsors in to the UFC. Commercial slots would feed only the braodcast channel directly.
icebergsnoopy
7/26/09 3:06:38PM
Thats the best idea i have heard in years,
Bloodhound
7/26/09 4:32:20PM
i love that idea
DJSyko
7/26/09 7:26:27PM
People say they may lose money from there website memberships, but i think advertisements and the extra PPV buys would easily out weigh it IMO.

The only problem i see with this is what are they going to show if all the main card fights end in the first round and they have nothing to fill the gaps? my solution would be to only show 4 fights on the 2-hour pre-lim show, which will leave 2-3 fights to fill in the gaps on the PPV.

All in all i think it is an awesome idea.
prozacnation1978
7/26/09 8:17:50PM
i think it would be a great idea, might happen one day but like dana said being there live has to have some sort of reward and seeing prelims and it not being on the pay per view is one of the perks
tepid55
7/26/09 8:55:17PM
I think it would be a great idea.
MMA-San
7/26/09 11:02:02PM
it would be the equivolent of a WWE Heat.
Wolfenstein
7/27/09 6:33:58AM
It's difficult to say without a massive spreadsheet of the exact numbers they generate from purchased prelims and monthly vault memberships etc.

There is one big factor you have to consider--that sometimes the PPV fights are extremely short--filled with 1st round finishes, and those shows usually air at least a couple prelims...but if you have already aired the prelims then you really don't have any fights to fill in the gaps.

I think it could be effective towards increasing the bottom line. Maybe a lot of people who wouldn't have bought the PPV are now interested in purchasing the event after watching the prelims--maybe they generate more revenue from Spike than they would selling the prelims and monthly subscriptions. Certainly it would help popularize the sport, and bring more attention to lesser known fighters. It's a bit of a risky venture though--where you really have to do a lot of studies and number crunching.
Kpro
7/27/09 6:40:46AM
Thats true Wolfy, how would you feel if you just dropped $45 and you're watching a 3 round FOTN contender you just watched on SPIKE for free 2 hours ago. Those fights are mean to fill gaps and sell to ufc.com members, not be the reason to go on a beer run.
copcopps
7/27/09 2:16:19PM

Posted by DCRage

I'd certainly be for it, especially since most of them don't even make Unleashed at some point unless they're a FOTN.

totally agree with you plus they're also pretaped so they probably won't cost a lot
JimiMak
7/27/09 10:13:57PM
I think the problem lies in the using of them to fill in the ppv. and they couldn't just air some and count on the ones they planned as filler 1) being as exciting 2) lasting the right amount of time. Maybe the next day but not live.

As for the idea of putting them on ABC or another major network: I don't think anyting except the "ppv" part would be seen as deserving of a major network. They won't want prelims they'll want ppv quality main events etc.
Aleks_Smash
7/30/09 10:45:20AM
ESPN actually brought this question up on MMA live and they all loved it. i think its a good idea. even if you stole it from TV.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
SociopathX
7/30/09 7:12:21PM
THey need to do what football does on Sunday...

at about 5 pm they should have an hour live coverage with the announcers at the arena... showing the people in the background filling into their seats. at 6 they should show the undercard fights.

After all prelims are over it will be time to order the PPV to watch all the main event fights and I bet they would get more people ordering.