UFC 93 thoughts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 93 thoughts
TimW001
1/18/09 4:27:54AM
Well it was a decent event, we've all seen worse.

I agreed with the main event decision, except the 30-27 to Franklin, what fight was he watching? I thought Hendo decisively out fought him. Not much to say there. A decent fight.

At first, I was so excited to see Shogun once again. Especially after the first round. I was sure that Coleman was in for a god knee KO at the start of the second. But Shogun embarrasingly gassed. He barely held in against a fourty-five year old man, who's not close to the top ten. Possibly, if this fight was at HW, Coleman wouldn't have gassed, from the weight cut, and he likely would have won. I was very disappointed in Shogun. Watching Shogun and Coleman stumble around, with weak jabs and hands at their hips, and Forrest, Rashad, Rampage, Shogun, Jardine, Silva, Machida etc. etc. would have destroyed them both easily. I hope to see a greater Shogun in the future. He was once my favorite fighter.

And I was slightly disappointed in Kang's showing. Ohwell. It happens.
cmill21
1/18/09 5:38:10AM
I was happy with Kang, but his defensive JJ is bad and we all knew that. Shogun IMO dominated but he didn't win the way people wanted him to which sucked, and he did obviously gas, but a 16 month layoff can do that, so I for one hope it's just that.
Aaronno9
1/18/09 5:55:47AM
Im just bitterly dissapointed Franklin lost. Its always hard to see your favourite fighter loose, but I have to say im alot happier than I would of been if he got ko'd early. I mean, hopefully the Franklin has a glass jaw crap will be dissapear now since he took some good shots from Hendo, particularly when Hendo took him down in the first, and recovered well. When the fight was standing it went how I figured, Rich was to quick and his movement was to much for Dan. I think it was Round 1 Dan and Round 3 Rich, round 2 going either way, probably to Hendo for his TD.

One thing that was nice to see was Rich bossing Dan around in the clinch in the 3rd. I know Dan was gassing at that point, but for Rich to have success there against a guy of Dans calibre was a big plus for me. Im sick of seeing people discrediting Aces clinch skills after what Anderson did to him, its still one of his stronger positions.

Not really got much to say about Rua vs Coleman, bad showing for both guys. Shogun looked real crafty on the ground, and showed a good chin taking big shots from Mark but just kept punching until the hammer backed up or stumbled. Its obvious the UFC guys are going to say Shogun sucked and overlook his injury, and its obvious the PRIDE guys are going to be talking about his 15 month lay off and injuries, so I think ill steer clear. However, Shogun vs Chuck is going to be sick, and really say alot about where Rua is right now.

Really please for John Hathaway, absolutly dominated his opponent and I see bright things in this guys future. Also really pleased for Gumby (dont hurt me Jeremy!!), he put up a good fight and actually looked like he didnt just come in to be Paul Harris's bitch then pick up his pay cheque.
MrGreeny
1/18/09 6:32:22AM
Well, the event was OK. I don't really agree with the referee on the Coleman stopage, but whatever...

Can someone explain to me the UFC math on the scorecards. Do the points add up or it's like the judges vote and their vote count as one.

I ask that because of the Henderson - Franklin dec.
As far as i know it goes like this:

Fr-----Hen
28----29
30----27
28----29
------------- +
86---85

moob
1/18/09 6:40:09AM
I have to say, even though I watched the event through my beer goggles, it was a terrible show on the whole.
Aaronno9
1/18/09 6:53:14AM

Posted by MrGreeny

Well, the event was OK. I don't really agree with the referee on the Coleman stopage, but whatever...

Can someone explain to me the UFC math on the scorecards. Do the points add up or it's like the judges vote and their vote count as one.

Fr-----Hen
28----29
30----27
28----29
------------- +
86---85

It just goes on the way the judges vote. Like it goes down at 2-1 hendo, not a combination of the scored added up.
Wallass
1/18/09 8:03:30AM
I was actually pleased with this one. Not necessarily the biggest fight ever but a strong show with good fight nontheless and even the Coleman/Shogun could have been worse. Still dont agree that it should have won fight of the night over Hendo/Franklin though.
moob
1/18/09 8:48:27AM

Posted by Wallass

I was actually pleased with this one. Not necessarily the biggest fight ever but a strong show with good fight nontheless and even the Coleman/Shogun could have been worse. Still dont agree that it should have won fight of the night over Hendo/Franklin though.

I was angry at watching the Coleman/Rua fight to be honest - it was an embarrassment to MMA.
pinoymixplaya
1/18/09 8:49:58AM
God, for some reason I just can't stand Alan Belcher, his cockiness is just asking to be KTFO.... I say give him Palhares for thinking that he should get a title shot soon and see how he does with that.
postman
1/18/09 8:54:45AM
Holy balls I thought that was one of the best events I have seen in a while. Every fighter came to fight there was no lnp no starnes type stand up. I mean Lytle davis was fireworks for 3 rds, Horn Lasting all 3 was amazing. I thought the Hendo Franklin fight waS FANTASTIC and the only thing I could have asked for was 2 more rounds! I was kinda disapointed in the Shogun gassing deal but they lay off could have had something to do with it not to mention Coleman is a big dude with solid wrstling that take alot of gas to get out from under. Kang looked so good up until the point get stuck his neck out. His striking was so clean and on point isn't Belcher suposed to be a real good Thai Boxer? Kang was destroying him on the feet. I thought that was a awesome card.
imanidiot777
1/18/09 9:10:15AM
I thought it was a pretty entertaining event with exception to the Coleman vs. Shogun fight. That was sad to watch but I still have hope for Shogun and I'll be picking him against Liddell.

Coleman should retire ASAP. Franklin should get the loser of Machida vs. Silva next I think and Henderson should fight Forrest.

I really, really want Belcher to lose, I hate his cockiness. Throw him in against Palhares please.
bojangalz
1/18/09 9:27:03AM
It's a mixed bag for me.....

I enjoyed the Davis/Lytle bout to an extent. But I really didn't like Davis allowing Lytle to get back up like that. If you ask me he didn't even try to finish the fight. I actually feel a little cheated. All that talk about keeping it standing was one thing, but it's you job to win the damn fight. I know Davis wanted to put on a show for the motherland. But the gentleman's agreement to stand and bang come dangerously close to predetermining a fight if you ask me. I'm not saying it was staged or fixed at all. i'm just saying that it doesn't feel honest to me. I don't think this deserved fight of the night at all.

Coleman/Rua was hard to watch. It went pretty much just how I had expected. I knew Coleman was going to gas early and I figured Shogun would tag him late and win up choking him out. I think the stoppage was legit (though there has been some debate there). I didn't think Rua would gas that bad, but it's understandable given Coleman's size advantage and the long lay-off. If you ask me, Shogun still needs one hell of a showing in the Liddell fight to make his way back into the top 10. This fight didn't do it for him.

Jeremy Horn in my hero. I needed Palhares as the final leg of my parlay, yet I found myself almost rooting for Gumby near the end. this was fight of the night for me. I know it was a little one-sided. But Horn could have ended it several times with those narrowly-missed head kicks and he did make it a nail-biter at times. I don't think anyone in their right mind gave him a snowballs chance in hell. Yet he was able to go the distance dispite the fact that one of the best jitz fighters on the planet had taken his back less then one minute into the fight. Serious props to Jeremy Horn. Maybe I should start shoveling off some of that dirt I had piled on your coffin.

Upsets are bound to happen on every card. And that's exactly how the Kang fight went. I think he had a damn good showing for his UFC debute. I'm not sure what his striking percentage was, but I'll bet it was over 65% landed. He was crisp and clean all the way up to the submission.

Hendo/Franklin was everything I expected it to be. It got tainted a little by the eye poke and the headbutt. But I don't think they take away from what the fight was- two top level competitors duking it out for three solid rounds. I'm not sure how the hell one judge saw it 30-27 Franklin. I had it 29-28 Henderson so I'm satisfied with the decision. I think henderson winning is probably the best thing for the big picture. Ace as a coach and potentially in the mix for another shot at Silva would have been awkward at best.

All in all a decent night of fights. I'd give it a 6.5/10.
jocksmall
1/18/09 9:31:49AM

Posted by MrGreeny

Fr-----Hen
28----29
30----27
28----29
------------- +
86---85

are u serious, cant believe someone doesnt know how to keep score. but 2 judges picked henerson and 1 picked ace so hendo wins
gartface
1/18/09 11:54:38AM

Posted by imanidiot777

I thought it was a pretty entertaining event with exception to the Coleman vs. Shogun fight. That was sad to watch but I still have hope for Shogun and I'll be picking him against Liddell.

Coleman should retire ASAP. Franklin should get the loser of Machida vs. Silva next I think and Henderson should fight Forrest.

I really, really want Belcher to lose, I hate his cockiness. Throw him in against Palhares please.

Hahaha I would love Alan Belcher to go against Palhares. I don't like Belcher either, but he would dominate Palhares. Toquinho almost got knocked out by JEREMY HORN!

I wasn't so disappointed in Kang, but impressed by Belcher. Kang was dominating that fight, until that liver kick landed in the third and Denis started to retreat.

I was baffled as to why Franklin got a 30-27 round as well. Was it Cecil Peoples by chance ?

What was with Marcus Davis running from Lytle? First one to take it to the ground is a p*ssy, but you'll run away in an exchange?

I enjoyed the fights though, good job by Joe Silva to put together a decent international card.
copcopps
1/18/09 11:56:09AM
This card was ok, it could've been better. Especially since it was on my birthday, but hey I liked the Lytle/Davis fight, not as good as I thought, but I liked it. The Hendo/Ace was good. Cole and Rua was embarrassing, I don't care what Shogun fans say he gassed, and if he didn't he was just plain tentative.

And Kang disappointed me defensively offensively he was good though
higdon10
1/18/09 12:06:05PM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

God, for some reason I just can't stand Alan Belcher, his cockiness is just asking to be KTFO.... I say give him Palhares for thinking that he should get a title shot soon and see how he does with that.

If youre looking for him to be "KTFO'd", Palhares probably isnt your guy.
casey64
1/18/09 12:28:30PM
A decent event, we all have seen better and worse though.
Franklinfan47
1/18/09 12:37:38PM
Only fight I got wrong was the Kang-Belcher fight, which took me by surprise. It made it all the more frustrating because Kang was dominanting the fight too. Unfortunately, I also bet on Kang as well. I strongly dislike Belcher the more I see him. Anyone see his stupid johnny cash tattoo?

Overall, I really liked this event. Almost all the prelims were tkos, and Siver, Kampmann, Drwal, Hathaway, Schafer all impressed me. Who knew Schafer would tko him. Crazy!

Davis/Lytle was a great fight and didn't disapoint. Davis followed a gameplan to outwork Lytle as expected. Both guys are warriors.

I was pleasantly surprised in the Palhares fight. Rousimar still won as expected by I was happy to see the Gumby of old with that never quit composed attitude. I loved the fight!

Coleman and Shogun both looked aweful. I can't believe they gave them a fight of the night bonus. Dana must of done it just because coleman's a HOFer or something. Coleman was basically asking to be knocked out several times in the fight can Shogun looked too gassed after one round to finish. I don't know if I should pick him over Liddell now.

Franklin/Henderson was another fight that didn't disapoint. I was rooting for both guys because their two of my favorite fighters. Overall though, I'm glad Henderson won because I picked him and because I'm more interested in seeing him fight Bisping and as a coach. My boy Franklin will come back stronger than ever.
Aaronno9
1/18/09 1:18:32PM
Also, anybody notice Allister and Semmy in the crowd with Dana? Allister and Dana looked particularly friendly. Really expecting to see him sign with the ufc sometime soon.
TimW001
1/18/09 2:08:36PM

Posted by MrGreeny

Fr-----Hen
28----29
30----27
28----29
------------- +
86---85

I never noticed that. But on UFC.com they have three options. A split deicion, a unanimous decision, and a majority decision. And I never understood what a majority would have been, but i suppose this.
tomsmith17381
1/18/09 2:37:49PM
the card was ok for a card outside of the u.s. Us foreigners are used to being given weak cards but enough of my moaning. The main event didnt disapoint i just wished it was for 5 rounds. The shogun vs coleman fight was hilarious coleman should go join the WWE with his trash talking nonsense. I enjoyed seeing our boy Hathaway beating the hometown boy egan in a very dominant manner. The lyttle vs davis fight was as advertised ive never seen a guy swing for the fences as often as lyttle does props to the man. overall it was quite entertaining but as allways the cards over this way allways lack that killer matchup WE WANT ANOTHER TITLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hendo67
1/18/09 2:56:44PM
Lytle vs Davis
This fight was very, very good throughout. Both fighters were rocked at least once in the fight. Davis looked pretty good, he was clearly the more technical boxer out there while Lytle was more reckless. Davis threw great body kicks and i think that was the reason he won that fight, i was surprised he didn't use more combination's. Lytle fought the exact same way i thought he would, i figured he'd throw wild bombs, which he did.
Fight = 8.5/10

Kang vs Belcher
I thought Kang would steamroll Belcher, which he basically did for the most part. His takedowns looked pretty good and his stand up looked alright as well, just unfortunate that Belcher semi pulled guard. Kangs submission game looked pretty good, but it's always been pretty good i guess. Nice try on the Anaconda, though. Belcher took a few decent punches from Kang but at no point looked "rocked" props to Belcher for toughing it out and catching Denis in the choke, i was surprised how quick Denis tapped though.
Fight = 6/10

Horn vs Palhares
Pretty good fight, i was very impressed with Horns scrambling throughout this fight, he looked pretty good. However Palhares is just too strong, the guy is a beast, he basically raggdolled Horn 80% of that fight. You could clearly tell he was the stronger man in that fight. I wish Horn would have tried to throw more kicks, he just missed on a couple of head kicks that could have changed the course of that fight. What's next for Palhares? Palhares vs Maia?...
Fight: 8/10

Shogun vs Coleman
Well, this fight actually depressed me...both "The Hammer" and Shogun looked like absolute garbage out there. Shogun clearly isn't even a top 10 fighter anymore. This was terrible, it actually hurt my eyes to watch...especially with so much hype built around it. Coleman was gassed after the first take down, while Shogun was gassed after the first round. I guess Chute Box needed the supplements? I was surprised that Shogun did not try to use headkicks while Colemans hands were on his knees. The stoppage was debatable, yes. But it would not have changed how crappy this fight was.
Fight 4.5/10

Henderson vs Franklin
You could tell both fighters respected each other so much in this one, Henderson with a great takedown and good ground n' pound during the first round. Franklin was landing good jab punches throughout the fight but did not have Dan in any way hurt. This fight was not the greatest as well, i figured both fighters would swing wild for a bit, but it looked like they were very cautious of each other. I was a tad uneasy that Hendo kept his right loaded and barely through it at all, i figured he would look for the one punch KO, but he didn't.
Fight = 7/10

MrGreeny
1/18/09 5:40:06PM

Posted by TimW001

I never noticed that. But on UFC.com they have three options. A split deicion, a unanimous decision, and a majority decision. And I never understood what a majority would have been, but i suppose this.

Majority decision is when two judges give it a win for someone and the third one scores a draw.

Well i wasn't sure about the scoring system because i've never seen such a decision, or i didn't pay much attention if it has happened before.

It just sounded logic to me, that the points are added because of the big numbers.
I guess it could be a 3-2 system where the winner gets 3 points and the looser 2 or 1. I've never seen a 10-7 round.
pinoymixplaya
1/18/09 7:37:55PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by pinoymixplaya

If youre looking for him to be "KTFO'd", Palhares probably isnt your guy.

lol ya i looked at that after i wrote it and it didnt make much sense did it? I actually just want him to lose and I know Palhares can take him, but seeing him get his head knocked off would be a bonus but any type of loss would be sweet.
SociopathX
1/19/09 2:05:44AM
i missed the first hour of the fights but from what i saw the card did not live up to my expectations nor did the fights. The coleman fight was probably the best I saw but all in all probably the worst card I've seen in a year.
postman
1/19/09 8:57:29AM

Posted by SociopathX

i missed the first hour of the fights but from what i saw the card did not live up to my expectations nor did the fights. The coleman fight was probably the best I saw but all in all probably the worst card I've seen in a year.

How is the coleman fight the best you saw and the rest didn't live up? Everyone else was so down on that fight and into the hendo franklin fight.
emfleek
1/19/09 9:24:35AM
Honestly, I'm glad I picked UFC 93 as the card for me to miss...I had a birthday party to go to. I wasn't too interested in any of the fights, anyways, so I wasn't overly disappointed that I had to miss it. Though, I did catch myself watching the clock, wondering who was winning each fight and how well I was doing with my picks...

I'm a geek.