Thinking about taking TKD lessons.Good idea?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Thinking about taking TKD lessons.Good idea?
mrsmiley
1/14/08 5:21:46PM
While I love to do a little grappling when I get a chance,most the time I can't find alot of grappling partners.Mainly, I find myself watching Bas Ruttens Big DVD's of Combat,staying strickly on only what I can do on a punching bag.their's an MMA school my brother attened,but I was looking into more of a "tradional" style.I want to be able to work through the ranks and get a belt ranking in a martial art.

The closest school to me is a Tae Kwon Do school.I should mention though,I'm not looking into this really to add into an MMA style or anything.I just really want to learn a martial art for the sake of learning a martial art.For the feeling of accomplishment,withoug going through the bullcrap a lot of schools seem to put on students.I've herd a lot of horror stories.

Anyhow,would anyone suggest TKD?What should I look for to make sure this school is a good school,and how much is too much when it comes to lessons?
Rush
1/14/08 6:02:41PM
TKD, like Karate and Judo (those are the ones I know of personally) have been around a while so the chances of getting a school that is "watered down" is higher than in some other styles.

I think your best bet is to watch a class and see how the teacher interacts with the students. Do they correct the form or technique? Do they talk to much or too little? Do they stress safety? Do the classes teach martial arts or is a martial arts-fitness fusion class?

Not only look at the teacher, but also look at the other students. Are there students (seniors) that can help you progress or do they have high ranking students that don't look that competent in what they are doing. You also don't want to be training with a bunch of kids either.

Does the teacher approach you like a guy trying to sell you something or does he approach you like a teacher? A good teacher should accept that there are other ways of doing martial arts, but still stay true to what they are teaching and not get defensive. That is, you don't want a teacher that is a bit scatter-brained and always changing their philosophy.

I wouldn't bother asking about credentials or a teacher-student pedigree unless you know your martial art well. In that fact, having a teacher from an accomplished school does not always make them a great teacher (or student)

While I think TKD is a pretty good choice to pick a martial art just for the sake of learning, I'm sure the level of "tradition" varies from school to school. However, I guarantee that you will get some ranking very fast in TKD. I wouldn't doubt that you can get a black belt in 2-3 years if you train hard. However, you might be wary of a school that stresses that obtaining a black belt is the ultimate goal.

AS for price, I cannot give you an accurate estimation. Prices vary from location to location and city to city. I've had good instruction for as little as 45$ a month and as much as 80-90$ a month. You need to factor in how many times you can train a week and the facilities you use. i.e. 100$ a month is crazy if you training in a school gym or church, but decent if it is a well equipped dojo. I've also seen schools that charge over 120$ a month (or more) and really don't offer anything beyond the average school. Chances are with TKD, there is a lot of competition so it shouldn't be too high.

Phew, I hope that helped.
loller90278
1/14/08 6:35:37PM
i took TKD lessons for about 6 years, and while its a good base and foundation to learn other martial arts, i dont think it's the best to learn how to defend yourself or be useful outside of the dojo
fullerene
1/14/08 7:33:25PM
It will definitely help with your balance and flexibility. To help with more than that (timing and endurance specifically) make sure they have contact sparring. You can spar without contact? In this day and age, you bettter believe you can. And IMO, sparring where you "pull back before contact" is worse than no sparring at all. Olympic style TKD sparring is actually pretty difficult from a muscular endurance standpoint because you are forced to throw such a high % of kicks during the rounds. If you're thinking of doing MMA/MT down the line you'll have a few bad habits to unlearn, but you'll still be well ahead of someone who has no training at all.
loonytnt
1/15/08 12:18:06AM
if you are lookin to fight in mma idk, it will help with something but idk
Svartorm
1/15/08 1:54:33AM
As a martial art to learn for fun, it'll do the trick, so the main thing to look out for is the price and level of instruction. I have some basic info in the "So you're starting MMA training?" thread about what to look for in a traditional martial arts school.

I must point out though, TKD is NOT a form of self-defense. The stance work and amount of space you need to fight using TKD is not realistic in a real world settling, and a persons natural reaction to move forward and strike with hands or clinch will wreck havoc with your ability to keep your effective striking range.

Also, there seems to be little promise for TKD in the MMA world if you're going that route at some point. In fact Zelg Gasisic or whatever his name is is the only TKD fighter I can think of to do reasonablly well in MMA in the last decade.
fullerene
1/15/08 9:07:18AM

Posted by Svartorm

Also, there seems to be little promise for TKD in the MMA world if you're going that route at some point. In fact Zelg Gasisic or whatever his name is is the only TKD fighter I can think of to do reasonablly well in MMA in the last decade.

Being a "TKD fighter" isn't very common, but how many MMA fighters do you think studided TKD at some point, probably at the beginning, or their martial arts careers? My experience is that if you take a poll in any MT, MMA or even grappling school you'll find about one third of the students had formerly studied TKD or karate and they do tend to be the better students IMO.
KeNn
1/15/08 11:11:04PM
TKD would be fun, and somewhat interesting but there are lots of mcdojo's.

If you just want to do something for fun, but aren't thinking of joining mma yet think about Judo, Jiu Jitsu, etc.
they'll help you more in real life. TKD theres no punches to the head, so and when you get into a street fight you'll be in your tkd stance, and get knocked out.
Svartorm
1/16/08 1:27:34AM

Posted by fullerene

Being a "TKD fighter" isn't very common, but how many MMA fighters do you think studided TKD at some point, probably at the beginning, or their martial arts careers? My experience is that if you take a poll in any MT, MMA or even grappling school you'll find about one third of the students had formerly studied TKD or karate and they do tend to be the better students IMO.

I didn't say anything about other TMAs. Just TKD. Most folks getting into MMA, especially 5+ years ago, would have some traditional karate experience. While traditional karate is generally a valid form of self-defense, TKD is purely a competition fighting art, and outside the context of its rules, does a man very little good in my experience. My main problem with it as a fighting art is that your range is well beyond the conventional fighting range of other combat sports or self-defense, and that kind of mechanic is a real son of a bitch to iron out.
mrsmiley
1/16/08 5:24:01PM
Just checked into the price.It's 79 dollars a month,which is kind of a lot for me,but I was offered to come try it for free,so I we will see.
chris91301
1/20/08 1:27:21PM
what state are you in?
mrsmiley
1/20/08 9:37:10PM
Ohio
madmarck
1/21/08 9:51:43PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Just checked into the price.It's 79 dollars a month,which is kind of a lot for me,but I was offered to come try it for free,so I we will see.

It can never really hurt to try something out. But FYI most schools offer 1-2 free sessions. TKD will help a lot with flexibility in doing high kicks into MMA but it wont tranisiton really. If you want to do it just for fun all the power too you. There is no harm in competing in a sport just because you like it. In fact that is the best reason to do one.
79 dollars a month sounds about a reasonble amount im assuming the classes are 2-4 times a week?
Omega
1/23/08 1:17:58PM
As a former TKD instructor let me just say this. Stay away from WTF if you want to apply it to fighting. Find a TKD school that does kickboxing usually PKA stuff. You might find a wtf school that does that then it would be okay.
mrsmiley
1/23/08 3:18:06PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mrsmiley

It can never really hurt to try something out. But FYI most schools offer 1-2 free sessions. TKD will help a lot with flexibility in doing high kicks into MMA but it wont tranisiton really. If you want to do it just for fun all the power too you. There is no harm in competing in a sport just because you like it. In fact that is the best reason to do one.
79 dollars a month sounds about a reasonble amount im assuming the classes are 2-4 times a week?

Yeah this was something I was basicly wanting to do just for the fun of it.I need something to do on the side now that i'm not in a band,and I thought taking lessons in a martial art could prove to be fun and rewarding.

The place actualy offers adult classes six nights a week,but the instructor told me most people only make it twice a week.So their is defenently a lot of classes.
madmarck
1/23/08 11:32:07PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mrsmiley

Yeah this was something I was basicly wanting to do just for the fun of it.I need something to do on the side now that i'm not in a band,and I thought taking lessons in a martial art could prove to be fun and rewarding.

The place actualy offers adult classes six nights a week,but the instructor told me most people only make it twice a week.So their is defenently a lot of classes.

$79/ month for 6 classes a week is a steal thats roughly 24 classes a month which works out to $3.20 per class. Or is it only a few nights a week you can attend but have options to which one?
mrsmiley
1/24/08 6:41:49AM
Yeah.The instructor said any night of the week is fine.Though he told me most adults make it on saturday and thursday nights.Or that's when the biggest classes are.

I guess when you do the math,that is a pretty good deal.