for those thinking mir does not deserve a title shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » for those thinking mir does not deserve a title shot
nickcuc547
5/28/08 6:29:54PM
he has two straight wins, here are a list of ufc heavyweights with two straight wins in the organization.

eddie sanchez
randy couture
antonio rodrigo noguiera

still think he doesn't deserve a title shot.
juanez13
5/28/08 6:39:17PM
Im sure if the UFC offered andrei a spot as a coach on TUF (therefore guaranteed title shot) he would have stayed and IMO he is way more deserving + more skilled than any of the other contenders, but they booked TUF with Mir/Nog before they started negotiating with Andrei, and i dont think he'd want to wait for a title shot.
Although i agree with andrei out of the picture Mir is not a bad choice, but they should have made a push to get someone like barnett and put him on TUF and market him, IMO in the UFC i think he would beat Nog + he is much more marketable than Nog and right now they need a colorful champ like him in the division.
hotrodttt
5/28/08 6:41:29PM
With the State that the Heavyweight Division is in I agree with giving Mir a shot, it plays as a Good Underdog Story as he suffered a Motorcycle Accident and is now looking like the Frank Mir of old ( which he doesn't ) but is still racking up Wins. I would rather a man with more Talent like Werdum to get a Title Shot but if he beats Brandon Vera then he'll have his shot.

As for Eddie Sanchez, he doesn't have the skills to be in a Fight with a Big Nog and Antoni Hardonk will show that as he is a Way better Stand Up Fighter than Eddie Sanchez. Look how Eddie was being worked by Colin Robinson in the 1st Round and then Look at the Complete Distruction as Antoni Demolished him.

If the UFC Starts signing Young Talent ( Cain Valesquez ) and other Fighters with Great Talent ( Shane Carwin ) then the Heavyweight Division will have a Bright Future. If the UFC continues to sign like they do It'll be a matter of time before Barney, Fedor, and Rothwell come. And if Aleks figures out the debacles surrounding his Visa then he may be a possibility as well.
juanez13
5/28/08 6:48:33PM

Posted by hotrodttt
If the UFC Starts signing Young Talent ( Cain Valesquez ) and other Fighters with Great Talent ( Shane Carwin ) then the Heavyweight Division will have a Bright Future. If the UFC continues to sign like they do It'll be a matter of time before Barney, Fedor, and Rothwell come. And if Aleks figures out the debacles surrounding his Visa then he may be a possibility as well.

Yea seems like the UFC is looking to rebuild the HW division with new talent, and make them stars, instead of trying to get already stablished talent, not a bad idea, especially since its alot cheaper, and thats why the UFC is the top promotion in the world, they are the only ones capable of building new stars from scratch.

backalley101
5/28/08 6:57:27PM
How do you know they offered him that ?
nickcuc547
5/28/08 6:57:31PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by hotrodttt

Yea seems like the UFC is looking to rebuild the HW division with new talent, and make them stars, instead of trying to get already stablished talent, not a bad idea, especially since its alot cheaper, and thats why the UFC is the top promotion in the world, they are the only ones capable of building new stars from scratch.

true but a lot haven't worked, especially at heavyweight. they tried the same thing with kongo and hardnok and it didn't work out.
Mchubb316
5/28/08 8:03:35PM
I think Mir will make a good coach on TUF and he will make new fans from that. I know that many people who weren't big Tito fans changed when they saw him as a coach on TUF. I thought Tito was a good coach. Hopefully the UFC will be able to get some of their current HW on a roll by the time Mir and Nog fight so they will have some title contenders by 2009. Cain Velasquez, Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Heath Herring, Chieck Kongo, Brandon Vera, Fabricio Werdum, and Gabriel Gonzaga. With this group of fighter hopefully there can be 2 or 3 that can get on a roll and stabilize the HW division.
juanez13
5/28/08 8:33:11PM

Posted by backalley101

How do you know they offered him that ?

offer what? the title shot? if thats your question it was already made official by the UFC a while ago, he will the be the coach on TUF, automatically giving him a title shot.
bigbubbano23
5/28/08 9:23:11PM
they should have gave arlovski one.
flainthefacerh
5/28/08 10:02:19PM
i dunno Mir is coming off 2 wins in a row since losing to vera.
while vera had 4 wins a row until sylvia.

but i guess Vera blew his chance against sylvia, but mir and vera should've fought again or something.
Franklinfan47
5/28/08 11:18:40PM
Yes. Yes I do.
NatedawgThaM
5/28/08 11:24:12PM
So, who did he beat? A kickboxer with no ground game and a wrestler with limited experience and submission defense who made a rookie mistake thanks to that inexperience.

I'd rather give Kongo a title shot after beating Silva, Cro Cop and then losing to Heath Herring. Since Herring already proved he couldn't beat Nog. I'd rather give Vera a title shot after KOing Mir, Eilers, and submitted Silva and then losing to Tim. I'd rather see Verdum skip this upcoming fight and rematch Nog.

The truth is, the winner of Verdum-Vera should be getting the next title shot. Nobody else.
jiujitsufreak74
5/28/08 11:38:27PM

Posted by nickcuc547

he has two straight wins, here are a list of ufc heavyweights with two straight wins in the organization.

eddie sanchez
randy couture
antonio rodrigo noguiera

this is honestly the worst argument i have ever heard for someone to get a title shot. two straight wins....yeah....over who again? Brock Lesnar and Hardonk...yeah those are some top quality guys right there. it is more about quality then quantity for me, and Mir hasn't shown any quality wins recently that justify him getting a title imho. the reason he is getting a title shot is by default. there is really isn't anyone with the right resume to fight for the belt at HW in the UFC atm. So, i think that Mir does not deserve the title shot but i am not too upset that he got it.
NatedawgThaM
5/29/08 1:13:57AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by nickcuc547

eddie sanchez
randy couture
antonio rodrigo noguiera

this is honestly the worst argument i have ever heard for someone to get a title shot. two straight wins....yeah....over who again? Brock Lesnar and Hardonk...yeah those are some top quality guys right there. it is more about quality then quantity for me, and Mir hasn't shown any quality wins recently that justify him getting a title imho. the reason he is getting a title shot is by default. there is really isn't anyone with the right resume to fight for the belt at HW in the UFC atm. So, i think that Mir does not deserve the title shot but i am not too upset that he got it.

By this logic, Houston Alexander should have gotten a title shot before Forrest since he had two straight UFC wins before Forrest. One over Jardine and Sakara before Forrest beat Hector and Shogun.
MMAcca
5/29/08 1:58:00AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by nickcuc547

eddie sanchez
randy couture
antonio rodrigo noguiera

By this logic, Houston Alexander should have gotten a title shot before Forrest since he had two straight UFC wins before Forrest. One over Jardine and Sakara before Forrest beat Hector and Shogun.

I think the TS was just trying to say that Mir was the only person racking up straight wins (albeit only 2!) in a WEAK division, so maybe his shot is warranted.
ICSlegend
5/29/08 7:57:18AM
I still don't get all the hype about Mir.

People say he was so great before his accident. Mir couldn't even last a single around against Ian Freeman.
Franklinfan47
5/29/08 10:16:36AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

So, who did he beat? A kickboxer with no ground game and a wrestler with limited experience and submission defense who made a rookie mistake thanks to that inexperience.

I'd rather give Kongo a title shot after beating Silva, Cro Cop and then losing to Heath Herring. Since Herring already proved he couldn't beat Nog. I'd rather give Vera a title shot after KOing Mir, Eilers, and submitted Silva and then losing to Tim. I'd rather see Verdum skip this upcoming fight and rematch Nog.

The truth is, the winner of Verdum-Vera should be getting the next title shot. Nobody else.

This pretty much sums up this whole Nog-Mir business.
nubby
5/29/08 12:22:24PM

Posted by nickcuc547

eddie sanchez
randy couture
antonio rodrigo noguiera

The UFC HW division is a pile of shit.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/31/08 1:12:12AM
They need to give somebody a shot...nobody else has produced enough wins to warant one...hell, nobody has produced enough wins to earn one...but Nog can't just sit around forever...so Mir gets the nod. Plus, it'll be a long long time (due to TUF) before this fight takes place. By that time the HW division should have sorted itself out.
grapplersquest
6/12/08 4:38:24PM
I'd love to see mir and nog matched up
breakdown5
6/12/08 6:19:37PM
I don't think that the UFC has much of a choice as to who gets the shot with the current state of their heavyweight division. Mir earned the title shot by default almost
theguido
6/12/08 10:50:26PM
The HW division is screwed right now and before the Vera- Verdum fight it's what made the most sence- MORE FRESH TALENT is the only thing that will ever make this a better more exciting division. Untill then kids there will be all kinds of argueing about who deserves it more.
gartface
6/12/08 10:57:03PM
Werdum deserves it.
theguido
6/12/08 11:02:52PM

Posted by gartface

Werdum deserves it.

Yeah now, but not before he beat Vera