Been thinkin' about the Jardine/Wandi Fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Been thinkin' about the Jardine/Wandi Fight
Next Page »
TimW001
4/1/08 1:41:01AM
This fight is actually alot more interesting than you think. Lets look. When Jardine fought Chuck, Chuck had trouble getting the proper range. He spent the majority of the time in that fight on the outside absorbing kicks, Jarding did a good job of keeping him away. Now, Wanderlei, against Jardine, he's obviously going to want to get on the inside and clinch, ala Houston. Though, when Wanderlei fought Liddell, Wanderlei could barely ever get into range. So munch on those three thoughts. I think on this fight, the biggest part is going to be each fighters mentality. Jardine should be careful, even if he is ahead, make sure to not get careless. He did that very well in the Liddell fight. And Wanderlei is just going to have to train very very hard. I think tis is going to be on of Wanderlei's tougher fights. Jardine has greater range, has a great amount of power, can kick very well, and intelligently. Uses the kicks to keep fighters in HIS range. I could see this fight going either way. I'm leaning towards Jardine via. Decision. But I'm going to bet on Wandy Rd. 1 KO. Just because he's my man.
hotrodttt
4/1/08 1:44:03AM
Yeah take Wandy, I don't think he'll have any trouble getting the clinch because I don't think I've ever seen one of his Fights where he was denied in the Clinch except the Chuck Fight. And plus, Wandy is Wandy so I have him Winning this Fight via Knees old school Pride Style.
TimW001
4/1/08 1:47:17AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Yeah take Wandy, I don't think he'll have any trouble getting the clinch because I don't think I've ever seen one of his Fights where he was denied in the Clinch except the Chuck Fight.

Exactly! And Chuck couldn't close the distance on Jardine. But then there's the Houston fight to include. Then you're going to be analysing styles.... I think this is the most interesting fight on 84.

WAR WANDY!

I don't even know why I'm looking into this so much, Im still going to be going with Wanderlei Rd. 1 KO.
Kpro
4/1/08 2:01:50AM
Wandy post-ephedrine (or whatever it may have been), is more susceptible to being kept at bay by leg kicks; which makes this fight very interesting.
hails
4/1/08 2:41:10AM
I would not be surprised to see Jardine keep Wandi at bay with leg kicks!!! He did this to Chuck and it worked great!!!

Wandi seemed a little small compared to Chuck, I think Jardine may be too big for Wandi. Wandi will also be under lots of pressure to win this fight, we know the UFC does not like to see its fighters lose a few fights in a row!!!

I think Wandi will win as he has too much exprience for Jardine, however Jardine will be no walk over.

I can't wait till this fight!!!

seanfu
4/1/08 2:52:05AM
Jardine via controversials decision(AND BLOODY TOO) lol
Close decision- Jardine. Wandy just sucks in a cage compared to a ring.

I don't see a finish happening short of a lucky knee or punch.

The leg kicks could end the night for Jardine actually, I think. If he lays one out there its possible an Alexander flurry comes his way.

I think he'll stay out and earn a win.
Mchubb316
4/1/08 2:53:32AM
I can see Jardine giving Wand trouble. I agree with the threadstarter. This is a fight some people might look past, and give Wand an easy win. Iam not sure what the money line is or will be, but Jardine could make you some money. I cant wait for this one.
WhiteWidow
4/1/08 4:47:07AM
1000% guarenteed this is not going to a decision

wandy absolutly cannot lose this fight, he knows he had a bad gameplan against chuck and this is most likely his last stand..if he lost it that is..hes going to be balls to the wall lookin for the kill, i think he'll be patient at first but eventually pick keith apart and get the KO in the 2nd or late in the 1st, this isnt about using MMAath saying oh keith beat chuck etcetera this fight is all about styles, and this is one bad fight for keith, look back at how badly houston stomped all over keith, wandy is much more explosive and has much better of a chin than houston, keith's going to need a miracle here, i would probably bet my house on wandy if somebody put up there house, too much on the line for wandys' career, hes only 32 i mean come on hes not slowing down
MALICE
4/1/08 8:09:40AM
Keith also has plenty of motivation to win. He is an up-and-comer, just beat the former champ, and the man he wooped up on (Forrest) is getting a title shot. Could be his title shot if he had not lost to Houston. If Jardine wins this fight, he no doubtingly should receive the next title shot.

Still dont know who my pick is yet though. It's a very tuff fight to call. Just throwing in some pro's for Jardine.
ufcboss
4/1/08 8:45:19AM
OK, Way off topic and it might be possible but then might not, Imagine the Forrest/Jardine rematch for the title, Now I would like to see that fight.

But to keep this thread in the right place, I see Wandy getting a quick enough finish. Chuck never really poured it on Jardine, And when he did, He nearly won the fight. Wanderlei will do way more damage the Chuck did and he will apply way more pressure, That will be enough to upset the Dean.

Wanderlei Rnd 1 TKO.
Jackelope
4/1/08 9:38:58AM
Chuck and Jardine are both fighters who like to keep the distance and pick their shots from the outside. You can see that about Jardine as early as his fight with Kerry Schall.

The reason why Chuck had so much of a problem getting his range with Jardine is because they fight from a similar distance, only Chuck moves in and strikes then goes back to that distance. Jardine STAYS at that distance and throws kicks from the outside to finish off his combinations. This creates a problem for Chuck's range because Chuck moves in to throw combos (drops his guard while doing so), then circles to the outside to get his range back and pick defense back up. Obviously it's kind of hard to circle back to the outside when there's a kick coming from there. Hence the reason why Chuck caught so many body shots and leg shots from Jardine.

Wanderlei brings a straightforward attack into his fights and once he gets in the pocket with Jardine he's not going to back out. He comes at you and throws his combos, then finishes them by keeping you in the clinch for the KO. Not saying it happens every combination, but he definitely brings a more linear and aggressive approach into the fight.
Aaronno9
4/1/08 11:01:23AM
What people need to remember is, wandy is no chump when it comes to kicks. He took mirko to a draw (Albeit it was a long time ago) and mirko is a hell of a lot better at throwing kicks that jardine. Plus wandy is good at throwing kicks aswell, he just doesn't utilize it to much. Its ok to say jardine will win becouse hes got good kicks which kept chuck away who beat wandy, but on the other hand you could say wandy will beat jardine becouse hes got a good clinch, like alexander who beat jardine.
pv3Hpv3p
4/1/08 12:03:55PM

Posted by Jackelope

Chuck and Jardine are both fighters who like to keep the distance and pick their shots from the outside. You can see that about Jardine as early as his fight with Kerry Schall.

The reason why Chuck had so much of a problem getting his range with Jardine is because they fight from a similar distance, only Chuck moves in and strikes then goes back to that distance. Jardine STAYS at that distance and throws kicks from the outside to finish off his combinations. This creates a problem for Chuck's range because Chuck moves in to throw combos (drops his guard while doing so), then circles to the outside to get his range back and pick defense back up. Obviously it's kind of hard to circle back to the outside when there's a kick coming from there. Hence the reason why Chuck caught so many body shots and leg shots from Jardine.

Wanderlei brings a straightforward attack into his fights and once he gets in the pocket with Jardine he's not going to back out. He comes at you and throws his combos, then finishes them by keeping you in the clinch for the KO. Not saying it happens every combination, but he definitely brings a more linear and aggressive approach into the fight.

Very well put, and I'm a little surprised it took most of the first page to bring up this very valid point....

Styles make fights... Chuck is a counter fighter... Jardine is a "distance"/counter fighter if you will... Wanderlei is agressive striker/badass in the clinch...

For me it is easier to compare this fight, stylistically, to Jardine vs Alexander than it is to compare it to Jardine vs Liddell... It just seems to make more sense... But I guess, the x-factor would be the fact that jardine obviously took the Alaxander fight too lightly, and will not do that in this case...

With all that being said, I guess it's going to be about who can impose their "distance on the other fighter... Jardine is going to have a tough time keeping his range with a fighter more apt at coming forward... And Wanderlei (at least in the Chuck fight) seemed to have some trouble dealing with the discrepancy in size/reach...

IMO, we see a new Wanderlei this fight... I see some surprise TD's and some GnP to soften Keith up, and then a late fight KO, highlight style... just like the olden days... Maybe a one-legged-bent-knee-spinning-hopping-dance thing... you know what I'm talking about

WAR WAND
hodge
4/1/08 1:27:45PM
i really hope wandy can win this one and i sure as hell dont wanna see jardine fight boring and win via decision.

I wanna see wandy vs shogun that fight would be awesome!
hippysmacker
4/1/08 3:47:28PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Jackelope

Very well put, and I'm a little surprised it took most of the first page to bring up this very valid point....

Styles make fights... Chuck is a counter fighter... Jardine is a "distance"/counter fighter if you will... Wanderlei is agressive striker/badass in the clinch...

For me it is easier to compare this fight, stylistically, to Jardine vs Alexander than it is to compare it to Jardine vs Liddell... It just seems to make more sense... But I guess, the x-factor would be the fact that jardine obviously took the Alaxander fight too lightly, and will not do that in this case...

With all that being said, I guess it's going to be about who can impose their "distance on the other fighter... Jardine is going to have a tough time keeping his range with a fighter more apt at coming forward... And Wanderlei (at least in the Chuck fight) seemed to have some trouble dealing with the discrepancy in size/reach...

IMO, we see a new Wanderlei this fight... I see some surprise TD's and some GnP to soften Keith up, and then a late fight KO, highlight style... just like the olden days... Maybe a one-legged-bent-knee-spinning-hopping-dance thing... you know what I'm talking about

WAR WAND

I agree. I like and respect Jardine and all, but I'l take Wandys Muay-thai over Jardines. I'm looking for a plumb, and some serious knees , ala what he did to Page back in the day. Wandy Tko in 3 IMO.
TimW001
4/1/08 3:57:56PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Jackelope

WAR WAND

Both of these replies really changed my decision. Defiantly going with Wanderlei now.
Pookie
4/1/08 4:10:35PM
ive done a full length reply on another thread here
top of the page^

Thats how i see it going down
nickcuc547
4/1/08 4:32:40PM
good assessment but i think wandy's aggression will be the difference, chuck is a counterstriker and jardine used that against him, wandy always comes forward and i don't think jardine has the power to put him away, but of course anything can happen.
TimW001
4/1/08 10:10:49PM

Posted by Pookie

ive done a full length reply on another thread here
top of the page^

Thats how i see it going down

Thank you! People have really been analyzing this fight.
NatedawgThaM
4/2/08 1:57:14AM
I think Jardine can take this! He'll have to repeat what Chuck did though, keep the distance and counter. I mean Chuck's awkward style messed with Wandy, why can't Jardine's?

I just don't get why people will compare the Houston-Jardine fight to this rather then the Jardine-Chuck fight. Chuck wasn't counter punching in that fight, he was pressing like you all think Wandy will. Plus I'm pretty sure if Jardine knew Houston like everybody does now, his strategy definitely wouldn't have been to brawl.

I am hoping that Wandy wins because I really do badly want to see Rampage/Wandy 3 and I only see that happening if Wandy earns a title shot but there's no way in hell I'm counting Jardine out. I just don't think Wandy will do great in a cage since he can't cut people off and lock on the clinch, so Jardine by decision!!!
WhiteWidow
4/2/08 3:06:53AM
<---- page fans in an orgy huddle hoping jardine wins and discussing how much better page is than wandy now and would woop him
Jackelope
4/2/08 4:29:44AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think Jardine can take this! He'll have to repeat what Chuck did though, keep the distance and counter. I mean Chuck's awkward style messed with Wandy, why can't Jardine's?

I just don't get why people will compare the Houston-Jardine fight to this rather then the Jardine-Chuck fight.

Because Jardine manages the distance by throwing leg kicks. First of all training at ChuteBoxe for years upon years has more than set up Wanderlei for dealing with the leg kicks, and second of all because Jardine's punches don't pack the power Chuck's do.

Houston muscled in for the clinch and took away the distance from Jardine. Which is something Wanderlei is highly likely to attempt. People somehow got off on this kick of calling Wanderlei small and saying he should drop down to 185 recently, but make no mistake about it- he's a very strong 205 lb'er. The man is even bigger than he was in the early UFC days, and look how ripped he was back then!!

I'm not saying Jardine's style has a 0% win chance against Wanderlei. I mean hell, he's got Yoda in his corner. But style wise he won't be able to deal with Wanderlei anywhere close to the way he dealt with Chuck. Oh, and on the inside track.. Jardine's Kickboxing coach is an American style kickboxer (although he does hold a MT title) Therefore, he's not as prepared for the clinch.
NatedawgThaM
4/2/08 4:08:45PM
You didn't quote the rest of my post! A lot of people are thinking Wandy will Maul Jardine like Houston did but the fact is, if Jardine knew Houston like we all knew now, there's no way he would have tried to brawl! So that fight is irrelevant to this fight IMO.

Wandy hasn't used the clinch effectively in a long time. Plus were talking about fighting in a cage, Wandy can't trap you in the corner and slug inside with you and then grab that clinch like he usually does. It's how he always locks on that clinch. But in a cage he'll have to wrestle him against the cage and then lock it on which I can't see him doing because Jardine deals with strong wrestlers like Rashad and GSP in camp.

Wandy's mauling style does not work nearly as well in a cage especially if your opponent resist the clinch like Jardine will. He didn't resist against Houston because nobody knew who the man was. Then comparing Chuck and Jardines power? If I recall, Chuck only knocked him down maybe once, Jardine knocked Liddell down a few times. Chuck has lost his KO touch IMO. Jardine and Wandy took his best shots that put down Tito and Randy.

I'm rooting for Wandy but I just can't see him winning. I disagree Jardine only keeps distance with kicks. Circling and jabbing were the other real reasons Chuck couldn't slug with him. Chuck does not jab to keep distance, but Jardine will so with circling and jabbing I think it will be harder for Wandy to lock on the clinch then it will be for Jardine to defend it.
Pookie
4/2/08 4:25:58PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

You didn't quote the rest of my post! A lot of people are thinking Wandy will Maul Jardine like Houston did but the fact is, if Jardine knew Houston like we all knew now, there's no way he would have tried to brawl! So that fight is irrelevant to this fight IMO.

Not exactly, When jardine got rocked in the clinch he didnt have that instinct necassary to help him survive in the clinch... Name 1 fight where wandy hasnt rocked his opponent....

Posted by NatedawgThaM
Wandy hasn't used the clinch effectively in a long time. Plus were talking about fighting in a cage, Wandy can't trap you in the corner and slug inside with you and then grab that clinch like he usually does. It's how he always locks on that clinch. But in a cage he'll have to wrestle him against the cage and then lock it on which I can't see him doing because Jardine deals with strong wrestlers like Rashad and GSP in camp.

Wandy's last 3 opponents all have styles that nul the Clinch.
Chuck is constantly backing up and has power to effectively keep you at bay.
Hendo is p4p one of the strongest wrestlers in all of MMA, and his greco style has been proven as the #1 way to prevent the thai clinch while inside.
And Cro-cop had his single best performance ever that night. That night he was unstoppable, his footwork and mobility was incredible. No one would have been able to clinch with him that night.

Posted by NatedawgThaM
Wandy's mauling style does not work nearly as well in a cage especially if your opponent resist the clinch like Jardine will. He didn't resist against Houston because nobody knew who the man was. Then comparing Chuck and Jardines power? If I recall, Chuck only knocked him down maybe once, Jardine knocked Liddell down a few times. Chuck has lost his KO touch IMO. Jardine and Wandy took his best shots that put down Tito and Randy.

Chuck has immense power if you play into his style, if you dont rush him then his shots arent nearly as hard. His range was thrown off by jardine and rampage, causing his punches to hit at a point where his arms were overextended.

jardine on the other hand has shown that his shots are at their hardest when his opponent allows room for him to work. Forrest and Chuck his 2 greatest wins both punch from a distance. So his KO power is hindered in a fight with wandy IMO

Posted by NatedawgThaM
I'm rooting for Wandy but I just can't see him winning. I disagree Jardine only keeps distance with kicks. Circling and jabbing were the other real reasons Chuck couldn't slug with him. Chuck does not jab to keep distance, but Jardine will so with circling and jabbing I think it will be harder for Wandy to lock on the clinch then it will be for Jardine to defend it.

We'll see i guess... i disagree with you though.
WhiteWidow
4/2/08 5:16:33PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

^^^^^^^
<-- page fan still in the orgy huddle hoping jardine wins and discussing how much worse wandy is now and how others would whoop him
Jackelope
4/2/08 5:39:07PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Sorry man I didn't quote your whole post for truncating space reasons. I was just simply addressing that portion of your post.

Anyway, in the end we will see. However, I'd like to point out early UFC days when Wandy had no problem utilizing the clinch in the cage. Or Anderson Silva utilizing the clinch in the cage.

Granted, a cage isn't as friendly as a ring for getting the clinch, but I honestly don't see Wanderlei having a problem sliding the clinch on.
NatedawgThaM
4/2/08 5:49:52PM

Posted by WhiteWidow

^^^^^^^
<-- page fan still in the orgy huddle hoping jardine wins and discussing how much worse wandy is now and how others would whoop him

OMG shut the hell up. Why don't you actually read my post?

Posted By NatedawgThaM
I'm rooting for Wandy but I just can't see him winning.

Go Back to sherdog if your going to keep trying to start stuff.
WhiteWidow
4/2/08 8:59:58PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by WhiteWidow

^^^^^^^

OMG shut the hell up. Why don't you actually read my post?

Go Back to sherdog if your going to keep trying to start stuff.

but you are a page nuthugger its painful to read your thoughtless process of how you think the fights will go down and its pretty funny, you need to relax there guy i was joking around dont be a yuppy and yes i read your blinded posts and bad analysis' of both the jardine vs wandy fight and wandy vs page 3, none of which have much thought or meaning except that you want them to win, i thought you were the one saying oh we were just having friendly discussion, nice job gandhi impressive you turned a joke into an insult, how did you do it?
NatedawgThaM
4/2/08 9:08:50PM

Posted by WhiteWidow

but you are a page nuthugger its painful to read your thoughtless process of how you think the fights will go down and its pretty funny, you need to relax there guy i was joking around dont be a yuppy and yes i read your blinded posts and bad analysis' of both the jardine vs wandy fight and wandy vs page 3, none of which have much thought or meaning except that you want them to win, i thought you were the one saying oh we were just having friendly discussion, nice job gandhi impressive you turned a joke into an insult, how did you do it?

How am I a Rampage Nuthugger? If I was one don't you think I'd be wearing a Rampage avatar

Just because I think he will win a fight, does not mean I am a nuthugger. Once again READ MY POST!!! Once again you look slow because I clearly said "I wanted Wandy to win" and somehow your brain comprehended it said "I hope Jardine will win."

It wasn't a joke. It was an insult, you called me a nuthugger and made a gay joke about me being in an orgy with other Rampage fans. Sherdog is where name calling and gay jokes belong.
WhiteWidow
4/2/08 9:14:01PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

How am I a Rampage Nuthugger? If I was one don't you think I'd be wearing a Rampage avatar

Just because I think he will win a fight, does not mean I am a nuthugger. Once again READ MY POST!!! Once again you look slow because I clearly said "I wanted Wandy to win" and somehow your brain comprehended it said "I hope Jardine will win."

It wasn't a joke. It was an insult, you called me a nuthugger and made a gay joke about me being in an orgy with other Rampage fans. Sherdog is where name calling and gay jokes belong.

because of all your posts about how much you think page and jardine would stomp wandy, what does an avatar have to do with it? nice try to defend yourself there with that but still you blindly hug his nuts and call him your favorite so yeah nothing you say about predictions or outcomes can really be taken seriously, oh yeah and the orgy huddle post was a joke yuppy
Pages: [1] 2