Things I learned from going to my first ever UFC event.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Things I learned from going to my first ever UFC event.
ChrisSabal
1/27/13 2:42:46AM
So I went to UFC on FOX today and it was my first ever UFC event. I would like to take the time to recognize all the things I "learned" today from the fans who were around me.

- Drunk people like to yell "Laaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh"

- The only way Guida moves constantly is because he takes speed

- Drunk people also like to yell "puuuuuuuuuuushhhhhhhh"

- Guida gets cheered when taking people down but Glover gets booed

- People f''ing love Rampage and Pettis

- People don't really watch the fights

- People hate Flyweights because "there is no knockouts"

- People love taking pictures of themselves instead of the fighters/fights

- Now I know why Affliction is still in business

- People feel the need to attempt to start a chant every 2 minutes

- People would rather beat traffic than learn the final result of the main event
Poor_Franklin
1/27/13 5:26:51AM
at my first event, i was surprised to see how many people show up only to see the main card
prozacnation1978
1/27/13 8:16:41AM
You will learn there really aren't many true MMA fans
And a lot just go to heckle the fighters
Budgellism
1/27/13 8:23:41AM
I'm not going to lie, the crowd sucked last night. They were treated to some great fights and couldn't stop booing.
kopower
1/27/13 8:58:20AM
I've also learned from going to several ufc/mma events, that there will always be people booing, even though they don't know what they're booing about.

Also, beer costs $8-$9 a bottle.
Lay_N_Pray
1/27/13 9:02:48AM
Or $9.50 if you live in Cook County (Chicago).

I was at the event last night and thought it was an absolutely tremendous card, with Guida/Hioki being only a slight disappointment but even that was fun because of how into it the crowd was.

The crowd, as always, will be very hit and miss. I was just glad they didn't boo the hell out of Johnson/Dodson for no reason. It's too bad I was only one of what seemed to be like five people backing Glover, but Rampage is a big name obviously, so it is what it is.

Overall, I thought it was a fantastic show and a pretty good crowd all things considered.
FastKnockout
1/27/13 12:02:40PM
Not surprised. I was scratching my head at the crowd a few times last night. Especially when they booed Teixeira. The man stood and traded with Rampage for most of the fight.
Bubbles
1/27/13 12:59:46PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Or $9.50 if you live in Cook County (Chicago).

or $10.50 a tallboy or $13 a pint in Toronto
Bubbles
1/27/13 1:07:49PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

at my first event, i was surprised to see how many people show up only to see the main card

Yeah that too. It's like 1/3 capacity when the facebook fights start and about half full after about 4 fights. You pay 100s of $, I'd think you would want to get your money's worth watching all 10-12 fights

I am really surprised they didnt boo the main event like Toronto did at 152 for MM vs Joe B. I thought for sure it would have happened

As for booing Tex, I assume it's because Rampage is a known name and American. At least they didn't boo the decision or when Rogan was talking to him
prozacnation1978
1/27/13 2:16:26PM
I actually like no full crowd at the fights. I can stretch out more and I don't need some asshole making me have to get up out of my seat for his next beer back and forth
infestructure
1/27/13 2:21:19PM

Posted by Budgellism

I'm not going to lie, the crowd sucked last night. They were treated to some great fights and couldn't stop booing.

I heard a boo about one minute into the main event fight
tcunningham
1/27/13 3:27:04PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

this surprised me as well. i was there for like 3 hours without anybody sitting near me. then the main card got close to starting and suddenly i was completely surrounded by morons.
postman
1/27/13 5:40:35PM
Did anyone by chance here me scream PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE! right after rd1 started of the main event? Lol I told my gf you know what I have yet to hear shes like what? And I let it fly. She wanted to die haha
scoozna
1/28/13 5:13:51PM
This is depressing. I think I might need to hear several reasons why i should go to an event now.
scoozna
1/28/13 5:14:36PM

Posted by postman

Did anyone by chance here me scream PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE! right after rd1 started of the main event? Lol I told my gf you know what I have yet to hear shes like what? And I let it fly. She wanted to die haha

Now that's the spirit...as long as you don't say that every couple of minutes.
prozacnation1978
1/28/13 5:41:06PM
Each event will be different.
There are positives and negatives
Vegas is the coolest cause its fight town USA
A lot if the fans have been to several events there
Outside Vegas you will probably will get 25% hardcore fans 50%,casual fans and 25% retards

I like to take a lot of pictures so I am more glued to it than I am yelling at them from rows up I do get excited during fights but not always
emfleek
1/28/13 7:00:50PM
I actually expected MORE boo'ing. I thought it was pretty minimal to be honest.
ChrisSabal
1/28/13 7:52:20PM

Posted by postman

some guy behind me did this for about every fight.
emfleek
1/28/13 11:15:59PM

Posted by postman

Holy shit...what section were you sitting in? I swear I heard this!
FlashyG
1/28/13 11:50:49PM
I thought the crowd had its moments during the event.

I had a good laugh during the prelims when the Doctor was in the cage testing Sean Spencer's vision by asking how many fingers he was holding up, and the crowd was yelling out the answer for him to ensure the fight wouldn't be stopped.
Bubbles
1/29/13 12:55:53AM

Posted by scoozna

This is depressing. I think I might need to hear several reasons why i should go to an event now.

- you don't have to hear Goldie or Florian
- the atmosphere when the crowd isn't collectively moronic is actually pretty good...it helps when you all cheer for the same fighter (ie Hominick 5th round vs Aldo, the place went nuts. Best crowd experience ever)
- if you lurk around nearby hotels, you can meet a ton of fighters and other MMA personalities
emfleek
1/29/13 6:31:31AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by scoozna

- you don't have to hear Goldie or Florian
- the atmosphere when the crowd isn't collectively moronic is actually pretty good...it helps when you all cheer for the same fighter (ie Hominick 5th round vs Aldo, the place went nuts. Best crowd experience ever)
- if you lurk around nearby hotels, you can meet a ton of fighters and other MMA personalities

Lack of commentary was a negative for me. Of course, there *was* the commentary from the 20 or so Chads sitting around me.
postman
1/29/13 8:37:27AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

Holy shit...what section were you sitting in? I swear I heard this!

emfleek
1/29/13 2:26:23PM
Yep. You were right below me. We were in the front row of 214.