Things I didn't think would happen at UFC 90

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Things I didn't think would happen at UFC 90
Wolfenstein
10/26/08 10:04:40PM
Just a list of things I didn't think could possibly happen...

1- Josh Koschek wasn't able to take Thiago down.
2- Cote making it past the 2nd round.
3- Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin being a really exciting fight.
4- Me actually growing to like Sean Sherk.
5- Cote blowing his ACL

I would have listed Werdum losing but I felt like Junior was a live dog...unfortunately I still picked Fabricio, but at leastI made a little money on Santos.

So what are some things you guys were stunned by?
scoozna
10/26/08 10:16:46PM
I think you hit the nail on the head with all but #4.

I'd add that I didn't think I'd start to see Silva was getting overly cocky.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/26/08 10:31:07PM
i didnt think i'd hear so much booing
Sam_Rothstein
10/26/08 10:32:58PM
nice list, i already liked sherk some though but he did grow on me some more in that fight

my #1 was werdum getting knocked out. I mean I had the thought in the back of my head because most high betting odds never turn out good for the favorite.
Biggz
10/26/08 10:39:36PM
i didn't think Kos would jump so many spots on my ranking for fighters i like. dude showed SERIOUS courage and heart, he took some big shots and still pushed, i was surprised how fast he recovers after taking big shots.
decken
10/26/08 10:40:09PM

Posted by scoozna

I think you hit the nail on the head with all but #4.

I'd add that I didn't think I'd start to see Silva was getting overly cocky.

Seriously this is nothing new for Silva. The only reason anyone is saying this is because he did not KO Cote. Seriously look at his second fight with rich franklin he fricken puts his hands down on his hips and bobs and weaves Franklins punches and kicks. If that is not "cocky" then I do not know what is.
Solidus
10/26/08 10:46:36PM
I was half expecting Junior to win, to the point where I wanted to pick him but couldnt go against Werdum so it wasnt really a shock when he won. The betting lines were way too skewed in favor of Werdum in my opinion.

The Alves/Kos fight went pretty much the way I expected but I thought Kos would get KO'd, he proved to have an awesome chin though.

I was most surprised with the Sherk, definitely one of the saving graces of this card. I think I'm actually looking forward to watching him fight now.

But most stunning, besides Cote's ACL, had to be the idiot refs trying to push the action. I'm just glad it was only verbal and didnt lead to any bad standups.
Twenty20Dollars
10/26/08 11:05:30PM
I didnt think koscheck would have survived once alves got him hurt but he recovered and stayed game.

i didnt think werdum would get KO'ed but im damn glad it happened!
mentalcase
10/27/08 12:44:38AM
i didnt think i would ever learn to love again
Mungooch
10/27/08 12:53:00AM
I didn't realise how much Koschecks striking had improved.
cj_striker
10/27/08 1:06:54AM
Agree with solidus on the idiot ref continuing to say stupid remarks about keeping busy and what not in the Clementi vs. Maynard fight when you could tell they were constantly struggling for position, you could tell Rogan was getting pissed. But at the same time maybe Dana said something to the ref about trying to make Maynard actually have an exciting fight for once without knocking himself out. I do respect Maynard and the guy is definitely an up and comer at 155 with great wrestling skills, but stop semi-lay and pray, add some jitsu game like Joe Daddy or improve your striking and gnp like Sherk.
And the fans were complete morons or at least the one's who were constantly booing. They reminded me of the Miami fans during Elite Xc's show of Kimbo vs. Tank, just ridiculous if you don't respect and understand the sport go waste your money on boxing or fake ass wrestling or something don't take up valuable seats at the greatest mma shows on the planet.
But Sherk vs. Griffin turning into a great fight was somewhat surprising, but a lot of times when two guy's styles mirror each other, they will stand and bang it's like the nullify each other's strengths so they duke it out.
Kos heart and chin weren't too surprising he is a warrior and has one of the strongest desires to win you will ever see, so I can totally see him willing himself to recover and keep fighting, just like Fitch, his great conditioning really helped him too.
Cote's injury of course was the biggest surprise no one saw that coming, I mean it rarely happens, definitely disappointed a clear cut winner wasn't decided.
And Junior knocking out Werdum so quickly was surprising, I mean I knew and heard about his striking ability, but Werdum went the distance with AA and other great strikers before. That was sick man Werdum pretty much assisted him in the ko, it was like: Here let me head butt your fist as you are swinging it as hard as you can at my face.
MMAcca
10/27/08 2:33:47PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Chicago's fans = worst fans ever!

I hope the UFC never returns there
Poohbah
10/27/08 7:19:20PM

Posted by MMAcca

Typical FIB
(Fcuking Illinois B@stards)

Had to say it, I'm from Wisconsin.
copcopps
10/27/08 7:58:38PM

Posted by Poohbah

Posted by MMAcca

Typical FIB
(Fcuking Illinois B@stards)

Had to say it, I'm from Wisconsin.

I wish the UFC goes there again, but then again... I'm from IL.

and IMO, Chicago fans are #2 on rudest, I've heard a lot of bad things about Ohio fans at 82 but maybe that's just me
bls1919
10/27/08 9:55:41PM
Kos has a granite chin, but did he forget how to wrestle?? Not really i just think Alves is that good.